• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot Walk (New AT)

SuSa

Banned via Administration
because we're not ******** and the pivot boost is easier ggkthx
That could also be taken as:
"We think we're to good for it, and we're to stubborn. We'll stick to Pivot Boosting without really giving this a shot ggkthx"

Also, looking at my video... Pivot Boost is tenfolds harder, so much harder I failed at doing it properly in the video. :laugh: so speak to yourself for that one

awsome, lol new SSBB dance :laugh:. It seems a bit hard with C-stick and hold A. How does it work with D3 and jiggz?
Set a trigger to attacks, it becomes easier and comfrtable.

Read the OP and watch the vid for d3 and ijggz

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
You know what's funny? While facing right Hold A and press up repeatedly on the C-stick.

AeroLink_the_SoulMaster

Let's rock, baby!
I still find this faster and easier, you can easily switch directions without losing any speed, less of a chance to mess it up, eh... guess I'm like the only Link to like it :psycho:
Well I've mastered it enough to not mess up on pivot boosting, if this is easier for you, then go for it, but really if one actually mastered pivot boosting, this pivot walking (formerly known as droop walking lol) is not helpful at all. I guess this is just for those who can't pivot boost. I've been pivot boosting about since the tech had been discovered, and I'm not going to drop PB for PW.

D

Deleted member

That could also be taken as:
"We think we're to good for it, and we're to stubborn. We'll stick to Pivot Boosting without really giving this a shot ggkthx"
for your information i attempted to use this at my weekly smashfest yesterday and i never found a good use for it so shut your mouth

SuSa

Well I've mastered it enough to not mess up on pivot boosting, if this is easier for you, then go for it, but really if one actually mastered pivot boosting, this pivot walking (formerly known as droop walking lol) is not helpful at all. I guess this is just for those who can't pivot boost. I've been pivot boosting about since the tech had been discovered, and I'm not going to drop PB for PW.
Not entirely true about not being useful for anything else.

for your information i attempted to use this at my weekly smashfest yesterday and i never found a good use for it so shut your mouth
Wow... a day... I'm sure you could have learned everything about it in just one day. How to incorporate it especially. I guess it really does suck:urg:

(I tried wavedashing when I first found out about it. Guess what, I thought it ****ing sucked.)

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
Why was the name changed to a Pivot Walk? I liked the name "Doop Walk" because everytime I end up doing it, I end up chanting:

"Doop dee doop dee doop dee doop!"

As my character twirls moronically around the screen.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
It was going to be called Waffling.
Now I need to discover an AT just so I can name it "Waffling". Or find some sort of technique that I can incorporate "Waffle" into.

The Wafflehop.

The Waffledash.

Ledge-Waffling.

Grabffle.

Bombffle.

So many possibilities, I need to find something good...

D

Deleted member

Wow... a day... I'm sure you could have learned everything about it in just one day. How to incorporate it especially. I guess it really does suck:urg:
you're so restricted when setting this AT up that it makes the move useless compared to PB. the simple fact that you have to hold A to perform it totally kills it off. with the PB you can do it out of anything and be just as efficient. i've already posted the only viable way to set this AT up and i've stated better options that you could do instead of pivot walking.

i want you to show me a better option to set this AT up before you even start saying this is more useful than the pivot boost

Legan

Smash Lord
This way is easier to execute out the if you are not in a fast paced match, but how in the hell are you going to incorporate this mid battle when you're so focused on your button inputs. Pivot boosting is already tricky enough to use in effectively in a match, focusing on other things doesnt help in the least.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
This way is easier to execute out the if you are not in a fast paced match, but how in the hell are you going to incorporate this mid battle when you're so focused on your button inputs. Pivot boosting is already tricky enough to use in effectively in a match, focusing on other things doesnt help in the least.
This.

A lot.

Yeah.

But in all seriousness, the set up and actual usage of this technique isn't terribly great. Other mains fall in love with the tech only because they don't have such a great PB. That's why most Link players aren't jumping on this whole doopy-I'm-high-walk. PB>Doop Hoop Poop Walk.

Edit: Sorry, Pivot Walk. But my post with Doop Hoop Poop Walk sounds too good XD

(Liking the new name >_>)

PhoenixoKaZe

Smash Ace
NNID
Toffykun
This.

A lot.

Yeah.

But in all seriousness, the set up and actual usage of this technique isn't terribly great. Other mains fall in love with the tech only because they don't have such a great PB. That's why most Link players aren't jumping on this whole doopy-I'm-high-walk. PB>Doop Hoop Poop Walk.

Edit: Sorry, Pivot Walk. But my post with Doop Hoop Poop Walk sounds too good XD

(Liking the new name >_>)
Doopy Hoop Poop Walk, I rofled so hard lol XD ^^

Bouse

Smash Ace
It has it's uses, like setting up the reverse Dtilt spike... but I'm not really seeing much about it that's all too amazing.

Well, it looks cool to do after you KO someone... I've been doing it for months (without the aid of the held down A button... seriously you can just do it with your analog stick) in place of a dash dance taunt.

sasook

Smash Champion
It has it's uses, like setting up the reverse Dtilt spike... but I'm not really seeing much about it that's all too amazing.

Well, it looks cool to do after you KO someone... I've been doing it for months (without the aid of the held down A button... seriously you can just do it with your analog stick) in place of a dash dance taunt.
That's the pivot boost we're all talking about. Link can already do this without the need to hold the A and whatever else. Sure it might be harder for some, but it seems to have more uses as just about any move can be done out of it.

Wafflez

Smash Journeyman
This AT seems a bit unpractical.

Twirling around the screen not only makes you move somewhat slowly, but how you would be able to pull this off in a fight effectively is beyond me. I tried using this earlier, and while I was twirling around, often I would just get smacked while I'm facing the wrong way. It seems so hard to use since half the time you're facing away from the opponent, and it seems unnecessary to do so much pivoting just to slide into a grab, Ftilt or Dtilt.

Any of that could be achieved with a normal PB, which is faster, easier, and doesn't make you twirl about the screen like a ballerina.

It's about as useful as Brawl's dashdancing. Looks funny and fun to do after a KO, but too difficult and not useful enough to use in an actual match.

D

Deleted member

link's got more than 6 taunts

3 normal taunts
flash stepping - autolanding hte uair too late so only the spark comes up
spinning around like a moron
dash dancing
bomb throw reverse arrow
crouch spamming
fake ledge canceling
reverse utilts/jabs

and much more!

SuSa

This AT seems a bit unpractical.

Twirling around the screen not only makes you move somewhat slowly, but how you would be able to pull this off in a fight effectively is beyond me. I tried using this earlier, and while I was twirling around, often I would just get smacked while I'm facing the wrong way. It seems so hard to use since half the time you're facing away from the opponent, and it seems unnecessary to do so much pivoting just to slide into a grab, Ftilt or Dtilt.

Any of that could be achieved with a normal PB, which is faster, easier, and doesn't make you twirl about the screen like a ballerina.

It's about as useful as Brawl's dashdancing. Looks funny and fun to do after a KO, but too difficult and not useful enough to use in an actual match.
You're using it wrong.

SuSa

Even if I was using it wrong, I fail to understand how this Pivot Walk would be any more useful than just a normal pivot boost.

Doesn't it just seem like extra unneeded button inputs?...
People must really hate pressing buttons in Brawl...:ohwell:

For Link, its less useful unless you suck at PB. For Marth and Sonic, its better.

Deva

Smash Lord
Havokk, I'd like to thank you for posting this info for the Link boards. We really appreciate it. But I think the problem is you're trying to make it out to be more useful than pivot boosting. The fact is you have more options out of a pivot boost compared to a pivot walk. The pivot walk is just easier to perform. If you change your explanation to something more along those lines I'm sure people will agree with you more. It's just that none of the players that use Link competitively find this more useful than pivot boosting, including me. It takes more work to be good at, but pivot boosting just has more options and overall is better. But if youre just learning about it, pivot walking is a good way to start and learn where to use it in the first place. Honestly, pivot boosting isn't even esential for Link's gameplay. It's just fun to throw in there occasionally and can serve as a pretty cool mindgame.

SuSa

It has the same amount of options as Pivot Boosting when you get this down. But I do understand what you're getting at about the rest. >.>

Thought it might help Link, but I can't pivot boost obviously xD (if you saw the vid, you can tell I'm doing it wrong... REALLY wrong...) so this is almost a godsend to me. (Utilizing anything I can get my hands on to make me less predictable, confuse my opponent, etc. is what I love to do)

This puts Bomb-Smashing in my head (And if I mess up, I can), it has me holding a Bomb more often (I never seem to be holding a bomb when I need one...), thanks to holding the bomb it has me airdodging before I use zair (which means I can choose not to in case they try to counterattack due to my bad spacing), I do retreating bombslides (these are also a godsend when I just need a "gtfa(away)" from my opponent. This basically added Pivot Boosting to my game, which is pretty good for tech-chasing (how its meant to be used IMO), and I'm probably the only Link who does DAC with a bomb -competitively- xD (I used it 2 times during my last tourney)

I just find it so useful to how I play my Link, but probably because I can't pivot boost xD

sasook

Smash Champion
This puts Bomb-Smashing in my head (And if I mess up, I can), it has me holding a Bomb more often (I never seem to be holding a bomb when I need one...), thanks to holding the bomb it has me airdodging before I use zair (which means I can choose not to in case they try to counterattack due to my bad spacing), I do retreating bombslides (these are also a godsend when I just need a "gtfa(away)" from my opponent. This basically added Pivot Boosting to my game, which is pretty good for tech-chasing (how its meant to be used IMO), and I'm probably the only Link who does DAC with a bomb -competitively- xD (I used it 2 times during my last tourney)
Yes, yes, yes, I <3 reverse bombslides. Although, believe it or not, I use them more for offense than defense. Go figure.

I understand what you're saying, it's just that all those things you mentioned with the advantages of having a bomb in hand......you can do all those with a pivot boost too. Just take out a bomb and pivot boost....and all those things you mentioned are now possible.

I really should find a use for the bomb DAC, but I just find the DAC in general so punishable.

SuSa

Yes, yes, yes, I <3 reverse bombslides. Although, believe it or not, I use them more for offense than defense. Go figure.

I understand what you're saying, it's just that all those things you mentioned with the advantages of having a bomb in hand......you can do all those with a pivot boost too. Just take out a bomb and pivot boost....and all those things you mentioned are now possible.

I really should find a use for the bomb DAC, but I just find the DAC in general so punishable.
1. 90% of people when they see you SH aren't going "he's going to DAC!" unless you spam it :lick:

2. But a bomb isn't necessary for Pivot Boosting, and for most of the characters I do the Pivot Walk, I do their down-B or their jab. Since if I hold Jab for Link, he does a laggy 3-part Jab before stopping, I just pull a bomb out and hold A during the relatively long animtion. Due to this, I always seem to have a bomb in hand. I also cannot Pivot Boost anyways :p so I had no reason to do it ever.

and yes... reverse bombslide is just awesome every now and then xD but I use it as an offensive defensive... "Here, take this bomb why I GTFO"

sasook

Smash Champion
Well, it's not necessary for pivot boosting, but the thing is you have the option of doing it with AND without a bomb. That's why players like Arkive and Deva are saying that overall, pivot boosting has more options.

Bombsliding every now and then? LOL dude I spam those things, anyone who plays me knows bombsliding is my specialty.

SuSa

You can do Pivot Walking with or without a bomb as well. >.> I just prefer a bomb. Some people I know SHFFnair

My specialty is boomerang>arrow>run up to up-B.... :3 I spam that 'rang left and right unless they can use it against me.

oliwonder

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-7363-3324-0043
Yeah i also agree that the original pivot boost is still more useful, but if this method works for you then no problem, it's a good start to visually learn the pivot boost. The pivot walk shows you how the pivot movement should be in doing a pivot boost.

And after watching your vid Havokk, I think you're having a hard time pivot boosting because either 1)you are not turning the control stick to the other side fast enough or 2) you are not turning the control stick far enough(the stick should be pushed as far as it can go), or both. The combination of turning from one side to another is what causes the momentum and how far you hold the control stick determines the distance you move.

And a final note, this way of doing the pivot boost has actually been known for a long time

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=177084&highlight=craq+walk
read method 2 in that post

Top Bottom