• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit, rated too low on predicted tier lists?

kown

Smash Lord
anyone havee any ideas on why he is predicted low on japaneese and american tournament results?

I plan on increasing pit on the tier list.

lmnz

Smash Apprentice
i think the main reason is because none of the already-good-players from melee didn't really pick him up. or atleast that's what it seems like over here in socal.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I got 2nd w/ him at the biggest monthly tournament in the pacific northwest so i'm not sure about tournament results. Idk, but it does seem like no one has picked him up. Maybe there just needs to be more time?

kown

Smash Lord
i know that it doesn't matter. In fact tier lists aren't really useful since it all comes down to the player. What I am trying to infer is that there are opportunities for us to soar and one of us will be THE pit player that everyone would recognize. just an encouragement for all the pit players.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
I want him higher on the tier list. The higher he is the more people will play as him. Kupo is a fine example of what I mean. Kupo joined SWF last month which would lead me to believe he wasn't into really competitive Smash prior to his joining. Yet look at the contributions he's made lately.

Think how much more we'd know about Pit if Pit had been as popular as say, Ike.

As for the Tier List most characters are varying. I've seen him as low as low tier and as high as top during discussions over the Tier List. He'll make his way up the Tier List once we become greater in number and start to influence tournament results.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
pit will prolly be high tier but i hope he is middle so he doesnt get like marth. i would say ignore anything japnesse tiers says cause they though roy was better then marth in melee if im not mistaken.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Too many ametuers think he is still a noob char, when they dont know anything about him. Even though his Killing moves are primarily weak compared to other char's KO moves (like Bowser), it takes him about an estimate of 110 or 120% to KO an average lightweight. Using special strats can help him kill faster, and some ppl just dont realize that.
They need to know him better, and use him more before judging his capabilities. I demand Pit for Top Tier!

Fujiwara

Smash Apprentice
Pit is for experts only. You can get used to the character easily but this doesn't mean you can play well with him. I do prefer seeing Pit lower than high tier simply because I don't would like to see so many pit players out there.

Admiral Bowser: Which kind of special strategies? I'm just curious.

GenG

Smash Lord
Isn't Pit popular? These are news to me, it seemed like one of the most popular new additions into the game.

Mirror Shielding recoveries is broken by the way.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
Dont worry about the tiers yet I dont think it will be very acurate until the 3rd 1 comes out Pit has some nice basic things that anyone can do but to get his best stuff such as controling the arrows, a good glide, wing tecks, you need to practice with him.

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
Isn't Pit popular? These are news to me, it seemed like one of the most popular new additions into the game.

Mirror Shielding recoveries is broken by the way.
Actually no, Pit is pretty much hated on everywhere on SWF. lol

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
I'd be more satisfied if Pit were kept lower on the tier list. Other competitive players that lose against me, using Pit, usually say something dumb like "He's top tier" or "He's broken".

If he were lower, whooping them with Pit would be a hell of a lot more satisfying.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
Right now most people have a misunderstanding of Pit. I know Pit is very popular, but I think half the people who play Pit do not play him very well. The problem is that Pit’s moves can be very spamable, and if that is all you do, you will not get any better. I think in order for pit players to get better, you can not be afraid to do new things in friendlies. Sometime try not to edge guard with just arrows. :p

I am going to enter a tournament for Brawl the first time next week, and see if I can help pit to move up in ranking.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
I dont really see Pit as a character that can be low tier. I guess he invites a nice spike with his methods of recovery, and hes pretty easy to gimp in my opinion. But he has some strong moves (b-air rocks, even if the hitbox is tiny). He has a spammable projectile, which regardless of your skill level is going to be useful, plus he can control its trajectory too.

I dont see how he can be seen as low tier. I dont really think of him as top tier material though, but anything less than mid tier is definitely less than he deserves.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
does it really matter if pit's placed high tier instead of top? seriously, does it really matter one bit?

no. no, it does not. pit is still going to be a popular character just because he's very easy to pick up and get decent with. people won't suddenly just discard pit and leave him behind because he's not the top of the pack, especially since tiers in this game don't seem to be seperated nearly as drastically as in melee; mostly hard counters and who has more of them seems to be a deciding factor.

so, don't worry about what everyone in the sbr/japan/your local gamestop thinks about pit/whoever. it doesn't change the character, really. all that's going to happen is slightly fewer no0bs to the game will flock to pit and will instead go to d3/mk/snake(then give up on his learning curve, lolz)/whoever's "tiptoptier" (aka t3, dibs on the name, double stampies, no takebacks). it won't have any real effect on you or your gameplay. keep on trucking, don't let tier positions affect you, especially something as minor as "second best versus first best!".

Undrdog

#1 Super Grimer!
BRoomer
My reasoning for it though is the fact that more people will give Pit a go if they see he's higher on the Tier List. The more people playing him, the faster we get to fully realizing Pit's potential.

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
My reasoning for it though is the fact that more people will give Pit a go if they see he's higher on the Tier List. The more people playing him, the faster we get to fully realizing Pit's potential.
Ahh, I hadn't thought of that, that's a really good point.

I stand by this point!

CORY

wut
BRoomer
high tier.

most people think pit is high tier, at the lowest.

HIGH TIER!

that is not a huge deal, at all. high to top. it's not like you guys are trying to crusade pit being better than low tier or even mid to be high or top. you know how many falcos there were in melee, even though he was widely considered only high by the vast majority of people, for a LONG portion of the game?

my point is: don't worry about his tier placement. the fact that he's a campy character with amazing recovery and more than a few viable kill moves means that people who know what they're thinking recognize that he's good; that means most people will probably place him high or top. there's no reason to go ape**** over the fact that pit will be placed high tier, most likely. and high tier isn't some harsh stigma that makes people not want to touch a character for fear of being contaminated. there'll still be enough players using him to keep metagame advancement running strong, and he'll be high enough in the tier listings that people who care solely for epeen can be satisfied.

LOZFanatic

Smash Rookie
I used to main Pit, but every time I won, my friends would make comments like "oh well he's a cheap*** broken character anyways, if you played with a fair character, you wouldn't stand a chance against me." If he were mid tier they wouldn't be able to make excuses like that for losing. I couldn't stand not being able to enjoy my victories, so I ended up switching to R.O.B., who I'm kind of afraid will end up being called cheap as well.

kown

Smash Lord
pit is a cheap casual character amongst friends who don't really play the game much. These pit players are often called "noobs". In order to be competitively good with pit it requires a lot of experience and practice.

Monjula

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AdrianMonjula
3DS FC
5215-1057-8129
I believe I know a few reasons why he's lower on the tier list, even though I don't know his exact placement. >.> He has plenty of good moves, but he also has a short reach for his smash attacks and most of his decisive blows. Sure he can spam and wrack up damage in a hurry, but when it comes to killing the enemy, he has a much harder time, where as someone like Snake can KO from across the screen.

PitMasta

Smash Journeyman
i think the main reason is because none of the already-good-players from melee didn't really pick him up. or atleast that's what it seems like over here in socal.
I'm a really good Melee Player and i chose Pit to be my main in brawl...:confused:

Daichi

Smash Cadet
pit is broken as ****, anybody can pick him up and be good. basically like sheik was on melee. Now this may just be because i main Mario, and he's uhm... Very not good. and no im not doing this to get "z0mg j00 has dis mah pitz i will baddle y00z >=[" challenges, nor will i accept them. So this may just be the low tier player's perspective, but heres my opinions on pit:

of course he's going high. his moves are way too fast, he can rack up way too much damage, he can ko way too easy, his recovery is insane, his range is only beat by marth, and he can spam EVERY move he has. plus his voice may be the most annoying one in brawl. not that i dont beat people who main him, cuz i do, but Pit is broken, and will be high.

In my experience, noobs can pick up pit and win in casual settings, but are ***** competitively. Im not saying only noobs use pit or that everone who uses him is a noob, just that in my experience most pit users i know are noobs. I'm sure there are alot of good, experienced, respectable pit users out there.

Forward B. It may be the most overused move at a low level since fox's fsmash from melee. Although the arrows may beat it. I've seen two low level players i know fight, one using dedede and one using pit. All pit did was roll away and spam arrows while dedede couldnt escape. Again, this is likely because of they're low skill/experience levels.

All in all, pit will be high. No i'm not saying that because i personally like him. anyone who really knows me knows just how i really feel about him. Pit's a good character and all, but noobs have ruined him. The second i meet one respectable pit player, i'll have a much higher opinion of him.

rezen1337

Smash Cadet
Forward B. It may be the most overused move at a low level since fox's fsmash from melee. Although the arrows may beat it. I've seen two low level players i know fight, one using dedede and one using pit. All pit did was roll away and spam arrows while dedede couldnt escape. Again, this is likely because of they're low skill/experience levels.
Dang I know what you mean. =_=;

I main Pit and I absolutely HATE how noobs spam his Angel Ring left and right. In my opinion, it's one of the least, if not THE least, useful attack in his entire moveset. It's the one I use the least, and all my friends say that I'm probably the best Pit player they've seen, and they are Melee veterans.

The noobs are just poor representations of Pit. You're right, there are more respectable Pit players out there, and I hope you get to meet one soon.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=8009ADC1944EAA89

My friend mains mario. We both do well in large competitive tournaments. Watch the videos i'm sure you wont be disappointed.

In my opinion most of what you said was true. Pit is very good for casual matches, then declines as others get better. However theres a lot of tricks pit can use to make him very good at high level play. He doesnt get *****, but he doesn't win easily either.

Plus pit has like no range whatsoever lol.

Edit: I hate Angel ring (side b) and rarely use it if that says anything lol

kown

Smash Lord
i use angel ring a lot when im in the air and out of wingdash and to reflect.
i dont think that makes me bad.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Angel ring is actually a good move and shouldn't be swept under the carpet for a couple reasons:
1. It works great against certain characters like Ice Climber in general but especially at the ledge. It works well against Squirtle's Fair also.
2. Connecting this move to even a blocking person does well to remove damage decay from his other moves since it has a lot of hitboxes.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
The move is very punishable and can be spot dodged very easily. its only good when you catch your opponent against the ledge or if you are able to cancel it before they DI out of the ring. When they do that you get a smash to the face. Online, this move ***** because its harder to punish. Offline it is very bad.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I see what you mean but if you surprise your opponent, you get the results. But for the character mentioned you don't get punished that badly.
If you use a rising Angel Ring slightly before you expect a Fair from Squirtle, it should override it. Fair is a spammable move like Marth's and my friend gets frustrated when I mess up his Fair wall of pain.
Even when the Ice Climbers know its going to happen the chances of hitting one of them is very high, especially Nana.
If I am unsure that my upcoming Angel ring will be effective, then I only tap it instead of prolonging it.
If you time the move right, it can be very useful, if you time wrong, it can be bad.
Usually the first time you use the move is the most effective.

There are also some mysterious qualities about it. I don't know why, but sometimes you get the forward movement when you land on the ground after initiating it in the air. I have a great example saved as a replay.
Angel Ring is also good to reflect projectiles over the shield when you are expecting it since you advance ground and can hit them with it if you are close enough.

Ii agree that it shouldn't be spammed, but i don't think it shouldn be overlooked.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Its a hit and miss move in my opinion, the hit isn't enough to overpower the miss. The move should rarely be used and i stand by it until i am proven otherwise ^_^

Edit: there may be some certain situations such as squirtle but I still dont think its effective enough to be reliable

kupo15

Smash Hero
I respect your opinion Sagemoon. Hopefully I can get some footage that may change your mind maybe even a little bit lol :)

kown

Smash Lord
You say they can spot dodge. this is actually really hard to do once you know how far you go with the AR and start to kinda like stop it where they are spot dodging.
if they did spot dodge they would just get it out of it.
i am working on not doing the move as much ( i dont really kno if i do it a lot) but yea spot dodging doesn't work well against it and its hard to roll through.

by no means should you spam the move tho unless it makes your opponent angry.
haha than do it alot. i think the sound also annoys ppl. good mindgames if u ask me.

Daichi

Smash Cadet
ok, Sagemoon, in all honesty, you've changed my opinion of pit. WAY better than all the pit players i know and beatm and you dont spam anything. very good fights. And the mario main wasn't bad either.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I was think about this and I have seen your matches Sagemoon and I really love your Pit. And I see where your views with AR come from because it may not match your style and you really don't need to use it against that Mario.
Here is a really old video that I think demonstrates AR uses. I did get punished a little but that was my bad timing not AR's fault
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeBTueSCyMM&fmt=18

AR is also a good move to use when ledge hopping.

EDIT: I can see how you are open if Mario flips you around. About the spotdodge, if you space AR so your blades end up where he spot dodged, then he will get hit after the dodge :)

Ulevo

Smash Master
I used to like Pit. I'm pretty sure my friend trying to do nothing but camp the hell out of me with his Arrows, and his English voice acting TOTALLY ruined it for me though. I loved him before that.

As a character, he's nice. He just promotes spam and camping, so it may take a while before someone gets exceptional with him.

Top Bottom