• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit, rated too low on predicted tier lists?

CORY

wut
BRoomer
I can see pit eventually moving up higher in the ranks.
why do people keep saying stuff like this? is there something i'm missing that has pit as low in projected tier lists? everything i've seen has pit as high.

high tier.

high tier.

that's the second from the top. why do people in this thread seem to think that pit's being rated low or something? am i seriously missing some discussion somewhere else on the board? i mean, if i am, sure, foot+mouth=yum, but i really doubt it. mostly, i just want people to stop overreacting, acting as though anything less than top tier is crap. it makes you look ign'ant.

sagemoon

Smash Lord
http://www.allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=2161&page=55
Pit labled as mid tier

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954
More data accurate, but still pit is labled as C rank

Hes been labled as mid tier recently. Please do some research on recent tier lists from good players before you bash the creator of the thread. No offense but you kinda come off as a jerk when you blatantly insult people. The people in this thread know what they're talking about.

Also kupo. I watched that video. You used angel ring about 10 or so times and only 3 of them set you up in a position to where you couldnt get punished. The rest you were in range for a smash attack or dash attack while you would have still had lag time. The IC player just didnt punish you. 7 punishable AR out of 10 is way too much for me to want to use this move more than a couple times a match. I'm guessing hes gotten better at chain grabs since then also?

kupo15

Smash Hero
yea, that is when he was learning chain grabs. . I mainly used it alot of AR because even if you miss against IC, you don't get punished too badly. But that video is so old and I would never use AR half as much as I did in that video now so only look at the good one I did. :)

sagemoon

Smash Lord
My friend subs IC and yes it can be spot dodged. however you have to start up the move right next to them for that to happen. But if you start further away they can roll back or dash back and just wait and charge a smash or just up smash you (kills at like 120ish%). Most the time you just get nana due to the delayed reaction time of her. Even so, this is just against IC and theres many more characters that can punish you with stronger attacks. I'm not saying dont use this move, i'm saying use it rarely.

Lol this discussion should probably be moved to another thread.

CORY

wut
BRoomer
http://www.allisbrawl.com/forum/topic.aspx?id=2161&page=55
Pit labled as mid tier

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=165954
More data accurate, but still pit is labled as C rank

Hes been labled as mid tier recently. Please do some research on recent tier lists from good players before you bash the creator of the thread. No offense but you kinda come off as a jerk when you blatantly insult people. The people in this thread know what they're talking about.
the only people who seem to know what they're talking about are you, undr, and kupo. and the sbr discussions have most people putting pit as high tier, which is what i'm basing my assumptions off of.

regardless, it does seem i missed some threads out there...

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Oh that makes sense. I dont have access to SBR yet (neither do most ppl) but i expect to get in soon lol. It also makes sense for pit to be high tier, but I dont see him as top or mid.

Kupo me and undr are basically the only active pits as well XD (the rest post occasionally....)

Edit: Kown too, hes cool.

CorruptFate

The Corrupted
I think that Pit has the potential for high tier with his arrows (that you can always get better with) for when the opponent is at any range, good air/ground game, he can chase anyone off the edge do get the kill and still get back. His up b is gimpable but a good pit can avoid the hit in most situations. Can have decent control of the field at all times.

Pros:
-The best projectile attack in the game (does good damage, controllable, chargable)
-Slightly more range then most the cast.
-One of the best recoveries in the game if not the best.
-People have found many AT's for this game being out and those tend to help:laugh:
-One of the faster in the cast
-Reflectors, not necessary but is nice to have (people need to stop making a big deal about him having 2)
-Nice damage on most attacks with a weak arrow doing 5% a pinged B air doing 15%
-His mirrior can gimp some of the casts recovery the rated high tier in particular (space animals, Marth) and increases projectiles damage by 1.5 times.

Cons:
-No real combo but who does now.
-No real chain grab, but it's not necessary
-Kills are hard to get with only a few kill moves, and are predictable
-Gimpable up B that makes him look like a wimp when he falls to his death because of this
-Kinda low priority

So I think that he can be high tier with the pros outweighing the cons and his great excel in some obvious areas, and the cons being kinda weak some of his cons though are a big problem for most such as his low priority, and predictable kill moves.

superglucose

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I hear a lot of people talk and talk about how pit is the new roy, how pit is a noob character, how pit is this that and the other.

Pit is pretty easy to pick up and be mediocre with. He does not have a steep learning curve. What he does have? A bunch of moves that flow seamlessly into each other so long as the player knows how to control his or her character.

It's funny to hear people at my dorm say "Pit can't kill until 150%!" Why? Cause by the time I knock them off, they're right, it did take me till 150. Of course, I'm still sitting on my first stock at around 20% or so...

Maybe it's just me, but pit is really fluid for me, and I enjoy playing with him. I hope to get a lot better in the future, to a level where I can actually take Pit to tourneys and do well, but I don't actually own the game, so I get shafted there.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
Pit = the Snake Killer :laugh:. Too bad it doesn't work against Snake's F smash, I want to see how he likes it.

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
Sagemoon: I found a good use for Angel Ring I think you will like. Works well against Snake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9U0c30wDB4&fmt=18
That is a decent use of the angel ring... once or twice, but that Snake doesn't know how to DI out of that move. He could easily move out of getting hit from his own projectiles if he DIed back instead of forwards. Overall this Snake doesn't seem like he knows how to use his B moves at all, and should figure out how to do more than just mortar-slides. This is important because a good Snake won't let you pressure him with an Angel-Ring like that. His tilts and Smashes can cut through your ring and hit you.

In regards to the tier list question; Pit is considered above average, and he feels that way. He is fun to play. He doesn't have such terrible matchups that it ever feels like you shouldn't play him. That's good enough, right?

kupo15

Smash Hero
Cool! I don't know whats up with my friend. He always plays with someone new. He does know how do DI away. I guess my timing of AR was good for him not to react as fast.

EDIT: Another good situation to use AR is when your opponent is rolling. If you predict that they will roll towards you, they will get hit by AR coming out of the roll. If they roll the other way and you miss, the time it takes for Pit to reset shouldn't hurt him because the time is takes for the opponent to get out of the roll is too long. Plus, they are further away from you.

Also, you can outsmart your opponent with AR. If you manage to connect with it and they know about the lag it takes put the swords away, you can take advantage of that by rolling behind them or shield grabbing. It works for me.

grandmaster192

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3196-5457-3748
Pit's not getting enough play right now, so people aren't seeing what this guys can really do. Look at what Seth is doing for Falco... That's what Pit needs -- a skilled player that decides to main him and take over.

kupo15

Smash Hero
Pit's not getting enough play right now, so people aren't seeing what this guys can really do. Look at what Seth is doing for Falco... That's what Pit needs -- a skilled player that decides to main him and take over.
Very true. I also can't wait to see how the Pit community will expand when Europe gets their copy.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I remember when the game first came out and everyone though Pit was the ****. Now he's just there.

Declan

Smash Apprentice
about pit being high tier i bet he will but a little of topic what do you guys think snake will be?
Right now it looks like snake will be God tier. He can control the field amazingly well, he has a good recovery including the c4 recovery option, and nearly all of his A moves seem to be over powered. U-tilt and F-tilt in particular. I thinks pits are going to have to start reflecting his projectile game more.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
Right now it looks like snake will be God tier. He can control the field amazingly well, he has a good recovery including the c4 recovery option, and nearly all of his A moves seem to be over powered. U-tilt and F-tilt in particular. I thinks pits are going to have to start reflecting his projectile game more.
god tier is what i thought plus that glide u smash thing is broken.

Midna-fan

Smash Cadet
Personally I think pit will be pretty far up on the tier list, but still I hope he isn't too good 'cause I want a ballanced smash, not melee

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
I was the only person that main Pit in the last tournament I attended in NorCal and I thought he was popular. Everyone want to play Ike. They had no idea how to handle a decent Pit. Even though i did well, i don't think it make a difference in the rankings because it was a crew battle.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
hmm yea right now snake is looking to be at god tier, my friend plays him but he isnt good enough with him yet so i can still beathim, but i think pit could likely be, not a counter but at least a decent match up to snake, oh and right now the most popular characters to use are sonic and ike, if you jsut look at their name in character discussion and then look at how many posts are there that should gice you a rough idea of how popular the character is

kown

Smash Lord
hmm yea right now snake is looking to be at god tier, my friend plays him but he isnt good enough with him yet so i can still beathim, but i think pit could likely be, not a counter but at least a decent match up to snake, oh and right now the most popular characters to use are sonic and ike, if you jsut look at their name in character discussion and then look at how many posts are there that should gice you a rough idea of how popular the character is
While sonic may be popular is he good competitively? I think no but ive never played a sonic b4.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
I think that Pit is good (even though I don't even use him as an alternate, I'm a Lucario and Marth mainer). He just has a bunch of "experimental" advanced techs that weren't discovered in the game testing. Give Pit about 6 months or so, and u've got some serious owning time.
P.S. I always joke about Pit's name, and I call my friend who mains him "Arm-Pit" because he suffocates me in the air. Hilarity ensues

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
kown imo there is like one good sonic i know and thats lucky and i dodnt even know if he still plays sonic
phi1ny3 thats was a good story i agree pit will dominate with all the techs we finding soon.

ChokE

Smash Apprentice
Yes Pit is moving up on the Character ranking list. Imo is that most spammer have quit playing Pit and the more serious Pit players are tearing up the scene because there are fewer of them to pratice against.

Top Bottom