• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit Moveset Discussion! [Currently: F-smash]

rinoH

Smash Lord
dont use it against Marth cuz he'll just spike you but prtty prdictable move i think i sorta use it too much

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Ah yes, one of my favorite things to do... Gliding that is.
Simple thing: Pit is the fastest glider in the game. Angel wings FTW!

Well, during this time where many ppl know about Pit, gliding isnt our perfect idea. Doing it to Marth or Zelda is asking for trouble.
Other characters can try their B-airs to strike you before you can attack.

At lowest of percentages, I can start with an angled Glide attack to B-air or U-tilt to increase pressure.
By using the glide properly you can slide on the floor, its called Glide cancelling.

Anyways, the gliding is a risk when against those with great range or a projectile. It's still a nice move, but recently you can just get Shieldgrabbed in attempts to attack smarter opponents. Pulling off mindgames by stopping your glide for another move helps.
Just be careful when using the glide and glide attack against certain opponents, but do remember it is one of Pit's decent Kill moves.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
glide attack is iffy for me. It is to telegraphed for me. It is just annoying to conect. In a 4 person game it does ok, but not well enough. graet priority and does the same knock back as the D air but ten times more telegraphed
it shouldnt be too telegraphed, if it is then you are doing something wrong
switch up your angles, dont always go for the Glari, cancel the glide into a bair right as you pass them, but still Glair is one of pits best moves and of course if you glide right as thim at the same angle he will hit you out of it

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
Pit's gliding is very useful because it is an alternative recovery that you can use to evade off-stage edgeguarders (by flying over or under the stage).

Glide attack, however, isn't.... To be very honest, I consider it to be the worst out of all three of the glide attacks because of the way the hitbox comes out. For MK and Charizard, it immediately attacks in front of them. For Pit, it starts the attack under him making the start-up lag of this move fairly long since most of the hit box is under him. If you are gliding at someone, you are usually going to be gliding AT them, not over them. Most people may have trouble aiming this way and may have trouble even timing the attack so that the hitbox below actually connects before you whizz past the opponent and slash at thin air. Even then, only swipes up to his head's level, making you very vulnerable from above even if you manage to get this move out because they could just jump and do a dair on your head. The glide attack is already predictable so to have it hard to aim and hard connect the hit makes it very impractical to use compared to other aerials you can choose from besides gliding to an attack.

The only good use that glide attack seems to have is the fact that if you autocancel it when you are skimming the ground, you get a tremendous slide based on the amount of momentum of your flight. This could be useful doing sliding attacks or catch your opponent offguard when they are shielding for a expected glide attack ON them, leaving you with the opportunity to do a sliding grab.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
I don't know if this has been brought up yet But I use glide attack a pretty diff Way. I use his glide attack for the movement you get after it. I'll do a short glide then attack, that way it's like I just got a major boost towards the stage and I can air dodge and stuff after words.

Arzengel

Smash Apprentice
I totally go out for gliding believe it or not its one of my best finishing moves. Of course doing the glide-shift will make you more unpredictable (don't do it often or else it'll be predictable).

The glide attack has very top priority, it even beats the DK PUNCH!.

As a Side-note Its also useful for defense, I've I was often punished by Zelda's Din's fire. However i noticed that once she launches it, connecting the sword attack while gliding cancels the fire ball explosion, hence cancelling my gliding stance but still giving me time and frames to regain my ground.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
hmm well since the hitbox starts below pit, why not just pull up right before you glair to align the hitboxs, just a thought
If you get shielded, by pulling up you stall in the air so you would still be open for punishment. Also, the opponent could just walk a step back and the whole attack would totally miss...

arm

Smash Apprentice
Do you HAVE to land on the stage to recover? You could just glide to the edge, then grab that, and recover how you normally would. Course that still makes you vulnerable to an easy spike....

TsNmi

Smash Cadet
The way I see Glide attack now, it's pretty useful. I use to think it was sooo predictable, most people would just wait for you to glide at them and get punished by a usmash or a shield grab, but i was looking at one of sagemoon's latest videos against uchiha and he did an obvious glide, slow as hell but right before he got to uchiha he curved UP and glide attacked. Overall, there's SOME flexibilty with this move and quite a bit of pressure.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
The way I see Glide attack now, it's pretty useful. I use to think it was sooo predictable, most people would just wait for you to glide at them and get punished by a usmash or a shield grab, but i was looking at one of sagemoon's latest videos against uchiha and he did an obvious glide, slow as hell but right before he got to uchiha he curved UP and glide attacked. Overall, there's SOME flexibilty with this move and quite a bit of pressure.
Yeah it's god for mindgamez. Did Sagemoon after the attack frames went through did he throw down a Dair? because I do that a lot out of a glider and it works well for me.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Pit does have some gliding tech including Glide cancel and Glideshifting.

Glide Cancel: Angle Pit near parallel to the ground, then press A before he lands to attack, and he'll slide across the ground a bit while you can perform another attack, like jab.

GlideShifting: Think of it as a "Fastfalling" Glide. Perform a fastfall just before Pit begins his glide animation. He'll drop down a bit then start to glide.

Pit, being the fastest glider makes his wings and gliding too good.

Nikenick

Smash Journeyman
You shouldn't glide attack against Zelda, Ike, Marth or DK ( and maybe some other characters), or else you'll get hit for sure.

Esca

Smash Champion
Perfect start to a match guys. I've done it on all starting matches, and it works effectively everytime, providing they have no projectiles.

3...2...1...GO!

Double jump, fastfall glide, cancel it, then wing-dash, and grab immediately after that. I have no idea why everyone smashes after wing-dashes.

Grabs mix up your game.

But overall, I barely EVER use the glide, unless its for a mind-game, or I'll use it vs. Marth, to cancel his fair.

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
Pit's Glide.. a pretty useful glide in general, it is really fast, you can cancel into glideshifting (Fastfalling while starting the glide) and it is also a alternative to recovering that can help you avoid many attacks or gimps if used right. The Glide attack is sort of useful, but since it has start-up lag and you have to aim directly over them, it is really hard to pull off.. I can't really think of anything to say on that topic though, DemonicTrilogy pretty much summed it up xD.

Glide-shifting is very useful though, being able to fast-fall while gliding is a unique feature for Pit's glide, giving him the ability to dodge attacks, attack unsuspecting people since he falls down quickly, and travel a bit faster as well. I have been learning it lately to try and implement a better strategy for gliding.. I am still learning how to use it 100% though. Gliding against characters with good range or strong U-Smash's isn't very smart (like Zelda, Ike, DK, as the other guy said), but even then pulling it out once in awhile unexpectedly will actually work, just don't use it Alot or else, maybe try not to use it at all UNLESS you see an oppurtunity.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
My opinion on Pit's Glide (Attack): I feel I don't take enough advantage over his lack of lag at the end of his glide attack. I love this move. It's true that it's rather telegraphed, though, which is why I switch it up by diving half-way through his glide to a canceled glide attack to anything. That's the beauty of it.

In online Sudden Deaths, it's one of my main weapons and counters to Ike's forward-B (Quick Draw). If he's charging up his forward-B, I'll jump and glide and the only smart move then is to release it before the spot where I would attack him if he doesn't move.

Your complaints that it is too hard to hit with surprise me. I don't find it difficult to hit with at all. It's too awesome. When I'm spamming arrows ground-to-ground (as opposed to surface-to-air), if my opponent shields or pulls out a PSI Magnet (Lucas's/Ness's down-B), I predict it and move into a glide and hit them before they know it. Yes, they generally come to predict it, I think.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
ill switch it to uair but i need a break from this for a little bit

but in the meantime ill give my 2 cents
gliding is all about mindgames if you can be unpredictable with your glide you will be fine but if you just glide right in you wont be fine

glide attack is a good ko move and when you learn it and use it right its just beastly

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
bair next perhaps
♥ I coudl talk all day about how awsome it is.

ill switch it to uair but i need a break from this for a little bit

but in the meantime ill give my 2 cents
gliding is all about mindgames if you can be unpredictable with your glide you will be fine but if you just glide right in you wont be fine

glide attack is a good ko move and when you learn it and use it right its just beastly
what percents does it kill at?? I agree though it's a sexy move.

DemonicTrilogy

Smash Lord
I'm going to bump this. I also request this to possibly get stickied.
Uair, comes out as fast as Nair and has insane priority. Great for damage racking and comboing. Beware of good DIers though, since most of them can get out after the third hit.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
thanks demonic

i just needed a break and i think i got all the vacation time i needed from this thread we need more discussion for u-air though so if we get enough by monday we will discuss d-smash next if not i will extend u-air discussion 1 week more

as for my 2 cents on the uair its one of pits best moves overall if you ask me it has crazy priority it beats every d-air in the game even GnW's key if you angle it right

it also kills at about 175 or so? not sure on ko power but its a great move overall when they are above you

Byuusan

Smash Journeyman
Uair, great move. Out proitize (sp?) Nearly every attack depending on angle. But it easy to DI out of and it not meant as a killer move, but at high percentage it happens.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Does well during ledgecamping if the opponent is right by you. This is one of the moves you'd be using the most in Norfair, and other stages where platforms are present. Stab them from below the other platforms, but make sure you angle yourself to improve the priorities.

Esca

Smash Champion
I wish we could all meet in person, I have so many tricks up my sleeves with this move, I just don't feel like typing.

Uari=sex.

drag0nfeather

Smash Journeyman
One of Pit's staple moves for Planking. I rarely short-hop it. Kills at higher percents (near blast zones and sending people off in that direction). Disjointed hitbox is awesome for hitting through platforms and thin ceilings.

DominusHaven

Smash Cadet
U-air is a really good move, at low % it can connect to attacks like D-air or D-throw, it's a very useful attack to predict aerial dodges, is great for sweeping people off platforms, is great for continuous juggling in the air, does decent damage about 14-16%, a great planking and ledge camping attack, and is also good to counter your opponent's aerial approaches.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
"because of its flexibility and speed you can do stuff like a jab>SD>jab>SD or ya know be creative"

Not to get off-topic, and it does pertain to this topic, but I was reading the 1st post and the Jab was suggested for that above combo. What is SD?

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
I tend to U air alot when im coming back from the stage and sometimes if my dash attack hits the player. Uair sometimes works if your quick enough to hit them. I dont like to spam it too much because other wise the player will airdodge it and know whats coming.

WingedKnight

Smash Ace
UAir is beautiful, a very useful move in a lot of situations.
Can we talk about Glide Atatck next? It's sooo wonderful!
(BTW, I'm starting to focus on Pit a lot now, so expect to see me here. Just FYI)

Valuno

Smash Apprentice
I tend to U air alot when im coming back from the stage and sometimes if my dash attack hits the player. Uair sometimes works if your quick enough to hit them. I dont like to spam it too much because other wise the player will airdodge it and know whats coming.
Imo one of the strong points of Pit's uair is that even if your opponent airdodges, the last hits or so or uair will still hit them. Granted, if they airdodge perfectly the uair won't hit, but if you delay the timing on uair just a little it'll still hit. ^_^

UAir is beautiful, a very useful move in a lot of situations.
Can we talk about Glide Atatck next? It's sooo wonderful!
....We kinda just went over glide attack lol.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
Heart Pits Uair, I overuse it a lot, but don't know what moves I should use instead of Uair.

So much priority, way too good. good attack, and I use it a lot for edge hogging or gimping recoveries. as the last hit sends them behind you correct? you just need to Uair them off stage and then fly back.
risky and overly flashy but it works

Valuno

Smash Apprentice

So much priority, way too good. good attack, and I use it a lot for edge hogging or gimping recoveries. as the last hit sends them behind you correct? you just need to Uair them off stage and then fly back.
risky and overly flashy but it works
The last of uair's knockback really depends on your opponent's DI, but yes for the most part it does hit them behind you.

Offstage uair is indeed risky, but if you fastfall uair opponents offstage it sends them at pretty dumb(as in good for you) angles. Sort of like Admiral's ASR thing he does in his combo video, but without the WoI part(as that kills you). Risky but it can have it's rewards. =)

Top Bottom