• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pit General Match-Up Thread

BlinkIV

Avenger
I don't get how you have trouble with Peach, but it's whatever. I'll play Silly Kyle myself at APEX and see that goes.

As for Link: Definitely slightly in his favor. But Pit can still win. I've got a few Link players here that I play all the time (Alongside Oracle, and Austin). So the main thing I noticed is: You've GOT TO punish the boomerang. That is the main way to defeat Link. Without that Boomerang, Link is almost close to helpless against Pit. That's really all I can say about the MU, haha. The boomerang buff from 2.6 heavy altered the MU. In 2.1-2.5b, I've solidly destroyed Link, free.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
we have some good links here and i opt to go marth against them just to have more range.lol.but i think the reason i struggle with peach is that she doesnt let me play the way i want to.i feel like u have to play campy against her

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
I don't get how you have trouble with Peach, but it's whatever. I'll play Silly Kyle myself at APEX and see that goes.

As for Link: Definitely slightly in his favor. But Pit can still win. I've got a few Link players here that I play all the time (Alongside Oracle, and Austin). So the main thing I noticed is: You've GOT TO punish the boomerang. That is the main way to defeat Link. Without that Boomerang, Link is almost close to helpless against Pit. That's really all I can say about the MU, haha. The boomerang buff from 2.6 heavy altered the MU. In 2.1-2.5b, I've solidly destroyed Link, free.
What do you think is the best way to approach him? Boomerang makes it so tough for me.
Oh, and does Pit have any kind of chaingrab/tech chase on him?

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
vans isn't as good as kyle though

What do you think is the best way to approach him? Boomerang makes it so tough for me.
you have the standard d throw > fair > regrab stuff on link. it's pretty free.

BlinkIV

Avenger
You approach with grabs mainly. Try and predict jumps and punish, don't try and camp Link either. His boomerang is stronger than Pits arrows. It takes 2 boomerangs to take out the boomerang, which he can instantly throw right back at ya. Force Link to approach as well, never ever ever ever play the camp game. If you're not scared as well, then you can punish the rang throw with a pivot grab.

There's no CG/TC available on Link, but one thing is: You always want to optimize your damage, and I've found the best ways how. Originally D-Throw > fair > regrab was the thing to do. But now, you should be doing SH D-air or SH u-air to get more damage output. I can demonstrate when Sethlon uploads the videos from ETFC, how much better it is.

Vixen

Premium
sh dair/uair only works if they di certain ways. fair to regrab is the optimal damage builder 9 times out of 10.

BlinkIV

Avenger
U-air works all the time, regardless of DI. It's the follow up that matters on DI, which you can still reliably follow up with any other aerial. U-air and D-air both do more damage than F-air, so how does that make F-air the "optimal damage builder"? I don't get it, lol.

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Yeah, I'll be asking a lot of these as I find matchups that I'm not used to.
So how about Marth. How would you play that matchup and what weapons of his do you need to be careful of. I've always been pretty bad at this mu in Melee too.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'll be asking a lot of these as I find matchups that I'm not used to.
So how about Marth. How would you play that matchup and what weapons of his do you need to be careful of. I've always been pretty bad at this mu in Melee too.
his spacing and his grabs.its not a bad matchup.marth really has nothing special when ppl are inside of his area.and his out of shield game is limited.dthrow into aerials work well on marth as well as any other character. and a good marth will always try to stay on the ground and if u want you have the choice of making him approach you and punishing him for it since he has no projectiles.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Pretty much what 5-one said. If you can constantly keep Marth in the air, and juggle him, then. He can't be a problem. On the neutral game though, run and shield is always a good way to approach Marth. You can also play real defensive against Marth, bait him out and punish everything he does.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
sooooo pit definitely has a chain grab on spacies using dthrow.i tested it out and even armada was smart enough to figure it out.

Vixen

Premium
the spacies aren't di-ing well at all then. just hold away, it doen't work, unless doanthrow's trajectory was changed from 2.6 to 3.0

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
it works if they di away or up.i dont know about down.if they di away u just have to react to it a little quick and i believe it HAS to be jump canceled.if they di up, it sucks for them because they still fall to fast to react in time. it stops working around 60-70 percent.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
it also does say his standing grab range was increased a little so that might have something to do with it and might be why it has to be jump canceled

BlinkIV

Avenger
Yerp. But also take into consideration. Most of the things that Armada did to M2K aren't really..guaranteed. The DI was garbage for real. The ONLY legit thing that happened, was Armada looping D-airs on M2K for a good amount. Against FFers in general, around 10-15%, you can chain a few SH D-airs on them.

BlinkIV

Avenger
True. Well let's not make this thread another general discussion.

Let's move this thread back on track, to discussing MU's.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
ok.so honestly i am having a hell of a time tryin to fight link with pit.and i refuse to give up on this matchup.i have to do this with pit.its like my ultimate goal.lol.but he does get comboed by standard pit dgrab aerial regrab stuff but it has to be very perfect and quick because his neutral is extremely fast.no way you can out camp.i always did my best by doing a mixture of aggression and camping of course.and it is so crazy how much damage he can string together after a boomerang or bomb hits you. pit seems to be the perfect weight and floatiness for it.and that master sword is so damn long and of course it kills pit super early.and if they are a good link that knows their percent and matchup then pit is dead around 85-100% when you are grabbed because they know when the dair is guranteed or when the uair is guaranteed off of it.it murders pit.lol.stage does not seem to matter.the bigger the stage the longer link lives.not pit though.lol.the only things that seemed to work were taking his jumps with an arrow (which doesnt matter if he has a bomb out already) and onstage combos. it is crazy hard to edge guard him with his neutral being so fast to come out after hit stun and his tether/up b...im just lookin for any other suggestions on this matchup because i will not stop until i can do it with pit.

BlinkIV

Avenger
Link is a pretty tough and frustrating MU to deal with it. But! I can guarantee you, it IS possible for Pit to win. You actually can do d-throw re-grab combos on it as well. But just not as super low%'s, since he mash out a n-air and smack ya away. One thing to consider is. Instead of focusing on D-Throw combos, you should be more focused on keeping Link in the air, and trying to interrupt him in the air at ALL times. So in most cases, U-Throw is the better throw to do. As far as gimping Link goes as well. You've gotta do a lot of predicting to catch his recovery off guard. Mainly pay attention to when he pulls a bomb out. When he does, focus on either shooting him, or the bomb to gimp it.

Personally, I don't have a hard time trying to gimp Link. Or fighting against Link in general. Another thing though..Are you good at converting off of random aerials? If you are, then that helps A LOT. Not only against Link, but almost the whole cast. Which would probably make your life a little easier against Link.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
it seems you can do the dthrow regrab stuff but it has to be like frame perfect at low %.yeah because there were certain times when he was able to get the neutral out and others where my combos completely worked.and yeah i do fine converting off of random aerials.and also i do fine against decent links but there was just one that gives me trouble and it could just be that he knows how to counter everything i am trying.and i thought about using uthrow but i always thought that if he got me with a dair while i tried to uair he would win that trade because it just benefits him alot more.(also i dont know if it trades or if i win or if he wins in uair vs dair). our matches just seemed to be i would do 50-60 % whenever i got him then he would do the same to me (boomerang conversions are crazy) then i would do another 30-40% then he would do the same to me.and by that time im at kill percent by any of his aerials except nair.and the matches i seemed to win i know it was because i was able to get early kills like arrows things like you said above. but it just makes it hard when he lives to 170 every other life. its very tricky.not only do i have to worry about aerials killing but the projectiles everywhere that automatically lead to aerials (especially that last hitbox on the hookshot).converts off of grabs too.and DACUSes through while all the projectiles are everywhere.
also i want to say i know its not impossible.we played about 3 sets and they all went to last game with him winning.ill try the uthrow thing and keeping him up in the air with aerials.but will pit be able to act quick enough out of the uthrow with how heavy link is?

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
What are y'alls thoughts on the Lucario and Yoshi matchups? I haven't played many people who use these characters, but I have a tourney this Saturday and I feel like I'll have to deal with these matchups and I would like to know what to expect. My training partner picks up and plays Lucario so I know the character, but I have a tough time punishing and his range makes me change my style of play a bit. I've never ever played vs a Yoshi though, and I would love to get some insight on that specific mu.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
What are y'alls thoughts on the Lucario and Yoshi matchups? I haven't played many people who use these characters, but I have a tourney this Saturday and I feel like I'll have to deal with these matchups and I would like to know what to expect. My training partner picks up and plays Lucario so I know the character, but I have a tough time punishing and his range makes me change my style of play a bit. I've never ever played vs a Yoshi though, and I would love to get some insight on that specific mu.
lucario is fairly simple because i have a pocket lucario.there are a few ways to beat him really no problem.do not get hit by dash attack.do not sit in shield and always di away.otherwise he does fall into standard pit combos and edgeguardin him is pretty simple.wait until after he down bs and his recovery is pretty much just a pokemon target.
with yoshi.watch out for crouch canceling. his armor can go through pits aerials but wait until the very end of it and he is susceptible. he MAY be able to double jump armor and nair during your pit combos so watch out for that. DO NOT and i repeat DO NOT try to compete with his uair especially during his double jump.it will kill early. and make sure to not miss your techs his giant stretchable head and tail will tear u apart if you miss your techs

Lazarond

Smash Apprentice
5-1 we are supposed to be buddies!!! why are you plotting evil plans to beat me up horribly? :'( just beat up harry or jpal lol.. i kno its me ur talking about :'(

Sharkz

Smash Ace
NNID
Sharkz1
Back in early November was my last PM tournament. In that tournament there were around 11 players and we did a round robin bracket. I only beat 3 of those guys and ended up coming in 7 of 11, I believe. So I had a lot improvements to make.
Skip to this past weekend, after hours of practicing almost every day. There was a 46 man tournament at NCSU and my one goal was to beat someone that I wasn't able to last time. In the 4th round of winners I was able to make it happen, and it was soooo exciting just to know I've improved. I ended up coming in 5th overall losing to Dr. PP in winners semis and Smith (TL player) in losers semis. It felt amazing just to know that I've gotten better, and now I'm even more motivated to get better with Pit.
Now I'm kind of refocusing my training. I have a ton of bad habits I still hold on to. So I'm working on my movement (trying to get rid of rolling completely), approach game, and trying to learn the matchups more and more.
Dang, Pit is just so much fun.

So like I said in an earlier post , I played against a Yoshi in friendlies but had so much trouble. I hope I get the chance to practice that matchup more. It's difficult because Pit usually tries to get one hit then take it as far as possible. It's hard to do that against Yoshi so I have to change my playstyle up completely.

And does anyone have any tips against Mewtwo?

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
yeah.i think me and my pits worst matchups are the ones were people can out range me.cause i play very patiently. ALOT of dash dancing all over the place. also metroid too. he is pretty good at the matchup with ike and charizard. even though i split even with him. he knows some weird di mix ups/ chain grabs.and ike's sword can tear everyone apart.lol.
Sorry to necro and junk (and hello Pit players~), but I feel that the only reason that Pit beats GnW is mostly because of this--- and maybe that GnW ground vs Pit ground turns into dtilt vs dtilt, which was an exchange that Pit won in 2.6b. Not sure about 3.0 now, though.

Our local, Suyon does not like Pit vs Sheik either. Between Fizzle and I, he usually just stays Ike.

Not sure how many of you guys get to play it, but Pit vs Jigglypuff seems pretty easy.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Sorry to necro and junk (and hello Pit players~), but I feel that the only reason that Pit beats GnW is mostly because of this--- and maybe that GnW ground vs Pit ground turns into dtilt vs dtilt, which was an exchange that Pit won in 2.6b. Not sure about 3.0 now, though.

Our local, Suyon does not like Pit vs Sheik either. Between Fizzle and I, he usually just stays Ike.

Not sure how many of you guys get to play it, but Pit vs Jigglypuff seems pretty easy.
i rarely use dtilt except for maybe once a match for ccing. and i feel like going dtilt to dtilt with GnW is a horrible idea now. GnW tilts are all very good with weird hitboxes. its not hard to get a grab on GnW and u can get a good amount of damage off of it. not to mention usmash kills him very early since he is 2nd lightest in the game.
Also i really like the sheik matchup. but i also just like fighting sheik in general.I had a friend who used to play sheik constantly.And as long as u di the dthrow/bthrow correctly that match is yours. and imo i think zelda is harder to fight against than sheik with her floatiness and multihitting/invincable moves. everybody knows what sheik wants to do and has known since melee. zelda has more depth to her in pm. Also its always so satisfying to beat sheik especially when someone tries to pick her as a counterpick.
And i agree. pit does well against jiggs.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Back in early November was my last PM tournament. In that tournament there were around 11 players and we did a round robin bracket. I only beat 3 of those guys and ended up coming in 7 of 11, I believe. So I had a lot improvements to make.
Skip to this past weekend, after hours of practicing almost every day. There was a 46 man tournament at NCSU and my one goal was to beat someone that I wasn't able to last time. In the 4th round of winners I was able to make it happen, and it was soooo exciting just to know I've improved. I ended up coming in 5th overall losing to Dr. PP in winners semis and Smith (TL player) in losers semis. It felt amazing just to know that I've gotten better, and now I'm even more motivated to get better with Pit.
Now I'm kind of refocusing my training. I have a ton of bad habits I still hold on to. So I'm working on my movement (trying to get rid of rolling completely), approach game, and trying to learn the matchups more and more.
Dang, Pit is just so much fun.

So like I said in an earlier post , I played against a Yoshi in friendlies but had so much trouble. I hope I get the chance to practice that matchup more. It's difficult because Pit usually tries to get one hit then take it as far as possible. It's hard to do that against Yoshi so I have to change my playstyle up completely.

And does anyone have any tips against Mewtwo?
good job dude. thats what it is all about. it is the best feeling to see yourself get better and better and get results. and it does motivate you even more almost like you are playing a brand new game and like you know there is so much more you can learn. its very exciting.
and with mewtwo...u need to keep him above u. if you are over or behind him you are in some trouble. that tail is no joke. his utilt/ftilt/dtilt/uair/bair are all incredible. and i could have sworn that the only thing tail whip did was lower defense not juggle forever.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Believe it or not, but he is no longer the second lightest character in the game. His weight is now 75 or something, well, whatever Pikachu's is. So it's still up there, but not the second lightest. Pit dash back is the key tool to allow for those grabs, I feel since neither character really wants to approach the other, but the onus to do so seems more on GnW.

Also, it's surprisingly difficult to kill Pit offstage, on some stages.

You likely have more experience with Sheik than I do Pit, but I feel while the dthrow-fthrow mixup is important, that Sheik's still generally able to squeeze stage control away from Pit and box him in, which is likely more important vs him in forcing mistakes on the dthrow/bthrow mixup.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
also GnW has one of the slowest tech rolls so its very easy to get a grab off of that and pit does not have that much of a problem approaching if it is done right.you will be surprised how many ppl shield when you glide toward them.and instead of attacking you can cancel your glide right behind them and pivot grab. the one thing that could cause pit problems when approaching GnW is if they are short hopping and throwing their food all over the place. but i rarely see one that continues that strategy after the first stock of the game. and he is not the hardest character to gimp.
and imo i dont think stage control is necessary when i am pit. with multiple jumps, a glide, an upb, and one of the most mobile projectiles in the game,i dont get very worried. also being able to throw out retreating aerials like puff makes it easy especially with dair.and if someone wants to be all over me when my back is to the edge they can be my guest. ill welcome it with open arms.literally. with those arrows and everything i will have a great chance of fighting somebody once we are off stage.not many characters can handle an offstage battle with pit.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
and as for marth. he does get comboed like other characters off of dthrow and isnt too hard to gimp. but the one thing my pit struggles against is characters with a sword just because of their range. but that could just possibly be me...at the same time i dont think sword characters outclass pit at all

UncivilYoshi

Smash Rookie
Struggling in the mario matchup. I have no idea how to approach him other than nair, and even those aren't really safe. Uair juggle against him is also really poor from what i can tell.

Top Bottom