• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin & Olimar Land into Brawl

regorris

Smash Apprentice
Do Pikmin scream when they die?
They have that ghost thing go skywards, right?
That would be awesome! They totally have to have that feature in the game.

I have to say... the character roundup is looking pretty sweet. My policy of expecting nothing as far as characters, levels, and items are concerned is working out awesomely! I mean, we got some just freaking awesome new-groovy features in the coming title. I think regardless of what happens the game will rock... and you know what, if we are left wanting more, so much the better, right? There can always be Smash 4!

That's huge thing I love about the Smash series, there seems to be no cap to the awesome! No matter how cool the current game in the series is, we, the fans, will be looking for more, and the developers are full-willing to deliver.

Drake3

Smash Ace
Oh thank God. Finally we get another awesome update. Gotta say I'm pretty happy about Olimar being in, as I knew he would be.

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet
I HATE Pikmin. I a bit after I got my gamecube and it was terrible. It was extremely boring. To kill most enemies you'd need like 100 pikmin and like 90 would die so you'd have to get them back. It said blue pikmin are lifeguards but they can't do ****. The 30 day system was really dumb as well. The only good thing about the game was that it got me the Olimar trophy in Melee.

But in Brawl Olimar looks really cool and fun to play as.

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet

Here's my pic. Funny eh? It's kind of a tribute to how Olimar kinda overshadowed Pokemon Trainer in hype buildup. Woot! Olimar's in Brawl!
It's the other way around. I'm sure alot more People want to Play as Squirtle and CHarizard then some short dude who is extremely hard to master.

Qbuilderz

Smash Journeyman
I HATE Pikmin. I a bit after I got my gamecube and it was terrible. It was extremely boring. To kill most enemies you'd need like 100 pikmin and like 90 would die so you'd have to get them back. It said blue pikmin are lifeguards but they can't do ****. The 30 day system was really dumb as well. The only good thing about the game was that it got me the Olimar trophy in Melee.

But in Brawl Olimar looks really cool and fun to play as.

lmao, you must not have been too goood then XD

but i was and still am a member who actually posted and joined the pikmin, and today was the icing on the cake (and the rest of the cake) for me!

Oh and as a side note...

i think NysNya (or who ever) redicted that olimar had a ether recovery (well, so did i, but thats off subject, i don't claim to have "sources") if he does, she would have alot more credibility in my opinion...:)

UrajKingofDarkness

Smash Journeyman
I like how people take two vague paragraphs and four still screenshots of a character and are already calling him things like "slow" and "weak". Take what Sakurai has given of us for the character so far with a grain of salt and simply enjoy the fact that such a unique new character is gracing Brawl, people.

What I'm more interested in is the bulbs on the heads of the pikmin. For anyone who actually played the game, you know that leaving the pikmin in the ground long enough before plucking them (or giving your already plucked pikmin some sap) would cause them to change from leaf head to bulb head to flower head, each transformation making them faster.

Well, in the screenshots you can clearly see that even when pikmin of the same color are reoccurring, they often have different stages of development on their head. Could this hint at Olimar being able to charge his Pikmin Pluck special to make a stronger pikmin?

There's also the chance that he won't be able to do certain techniques without a certain pikmin out. For example, he might not be able to do a smash attack until, say, he has a red pikmin out. Once he gets yellow he can use his triple jump (which to me would seem more likely to be something like Ice Climbers' belay technique). Blue, for what it's worth, would let him swim in the few levels that have water. Purple would give him a sturdier shield or just cause him to be heavier in general, and a white pikmin (being the last one he'd pull out, in this hypothesis of mine) would allow him to do his final smash.

Of course this brings up loads of balance issues for him, but that's just my speculation on him. I've thought Olimar would make a great addition to the character roster since Brawl was announced, and was hoping he'd play in a fashion similar to how they actually made him. Good to see that they're really reaching into the broad gamut of Nintendo's franchises for this game.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
Well, this update alone pretty much makes having a week of no smash updates completely worth it... I've always been keen on the idea of Olimar in Brawl, and I'm really pleased he's made the cut... he looks like he'll be a very interesting character to play as, and that's not a bad thing at all! Having him fight on his own would have been really boring.

Hopefully we'll be getting some more character updates soon... even finding out this dude's moves and final smash will be alright. There's no way he could be a clone of anyone, surely.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
are you serious
Yes.
Fixed it for you:p Okay, that's just my opinion:ohwell:

Here's my new top five

1. Sonic
2. Pit
3. Fox
4. Diddy Kong
5. Pikmin & Olimar
Lolz. I believe Pokemon Trainer is a more unique character than Sonic.
Seriously Olimar is gonna suck. Im probably never gonna try to play with him at all. All I truly want now is Megaman and/or Crash Bandicoot( which probably wont happen :( )
Where are all you people getting your info from? We don't know if he is good or not, yet.
Im not the least bit interested in him. Im gonna enjoy owning some pro online who thinks Olimar has potential.
Same as above.
Now that Olimar is in brawl, and Size no longer matters... Chibi robo's chances are higher! lol
Size never matter since the first Super Smash Bros. (Kirby)
Why would Sakurai call him Pikmen&Olimar? Shouldn't it be just Captain Olimar?
Is Pikmin called Pikmen in other countries? (Would Check but I'm posting from my Wii)

Excellent character addition to the SSB series. The most shocking thing to me is that Pikmin is series 22. Still leaving number 19 for another franchise.

Athos

Smash Cadet
I started reading this thread and noticed a number of people complaining about the update. You people are never satisfied; how can you can criticize the best update we've received in months. This update was fantastic, I can't wait to try him and see how he controls. Why can't people get that different can be better? Brawl would quickly get boring if every character was exactly the same. Olimar, like Pokemon Trainer, mixes up what we've come to expect from a Smash character and I'm loving it. Kudos Sakurai, That's for making this week so awesome and keep it up!

Mr.Victory07

Smash Lord
This is probably the best update in months, finally something to whet our appetites :)
And Olimar belongs in Brawl, its obscure characters like him that make the game great

Desruprot

Smash Lord
I still must say how can all of you critizise this update, I guess I did not realize it, afterall how can we critizise him now, have have not even seen his SPM

SwordMasterR0X

Smash Cadet
When I saw the "WARNING New Challenger Aproaching" sign I was like "ZOMGTHIRDPARTY!!!!"

Then when I saw Olimar I was like :O

If this isn't the WTF character, I don't know who else to expect.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
this is nice! this shows that almost any character can be smashified. im really hoping for krystal, knuckles and geno!

Joymechpoop

Smash Cadet
I like how people take two vague paragraphs and four still screenshots of a character and are already calling him things like "slow" and "weak". Take what Sakurai has given of us for the character so far with a grain of salt and simply enjoy the fact that such a unique new character is gracing Brawl, people.

What I'm more interested in is the bulbs on the heads of the pikmin. For anyone who actually played the game, you know that leaving the pikmin in the ground long enough before plucking them (or giving your already plucked pikmin some sap) would cause them to change from leaf head to bulb head to flower head, each transformation making them faster.

Well, in the screenshots you can clearly see that even when pikmin of the same color are reoccurring, they often have different stages of development on their head. Could this hint at Olimar being able to charge his Pikmin Pluck special to make a stronger pikmin?

There's also the chance that he won't be able to do certain techniques without a certain pikmin out. For example, he might not be able to do a smash attack until, say, he has a red pikmin out. Once he gets yellow he can use his triple jump (which to me would seem more likely to be something like Ice Climbers' belay technique). Blue, for what it's worth, would let him swim in the few levels that have water. Purple would give him a sturdier shield or just cause him to be heavier in general, and a white pikmin (being the last one he'd pull out, in this hypothesis of mine) would allow him to do his final smash.

Of course this brings up loads of balance issues for him, but that's just my speculation on him. I've thought Olimar would make a great addition to the character roster since Brawl was announced, and was hoping he'd play in a fashion similar to how they actually made him. Good to see that they're really reaching into the broad gamut of Nintendo's franchises for this game.

GREAT post but I think the last part about the white one letting him do his final smash is just stupid.

.:~*Momo*~:.

Smash Ace
Thanks to this update, my new top 5 are:

1. Peach
2. Pikmin & Olimar
3. Zelda
4. Lucas
5. Ike

Pikmin & Olimar look like they'll be fun to use in this game! ^.^

Meta Kirby

Smash Cadet
Dearly Beloved, we be gathered here today... to nail yer gizzard to the mast, yer poxy cur!- Barbossa, Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

I KNEW IT!!! ALL EVERYBODY EVER COMPLAINS ABOUT IS "Why haven't we gotten a new character? I want a new character! This update stinks!" Well what did I say?! I said when we finally got a new character, a lot (almost said everybody) of people would say "What?!? -Insert Name Here-?!? This character sucks! Why didn't we get Captain Falcon?! Where's Geno?! Where's Ridley?! Where's?!..." Blah Blah Blah! Just to spite you lot, I hope Brawl is delayed for another few years just to make you happy. Also...

WHO THE HELL IS GENO?!?!? This was all everybody was asking for and most of you lot whine about getting your way! Now I really want to e-mail Sakurai and tell him that people think the characters in Brawl are stupid, and he's stupid too! Geez, people...

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
kewl update, pwns pokemon trainer if you ask me =D
Actually a little know fact, Ivysaur LOVE to eat Pikmin. It's their favorite food.

Professor Oak Told me. Last year.

I like Olimar though. Much better WTF character than Game&Watch or Sukopon. I'd like to see what he means by saying he can't do a smash attack with out the Pikmin.

skyblue

Smash Apprentice
To be quite honest, I don't get why everyone thinks that this character is unexpected or strange (or "WTF"). He feels right at home to me. Besides, I want variety in who I fight or play as.

Three thumbs up, Sakurai.

I'm still waiting for him to introduce Luigi, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Mr. G&W, Krystal, Ganondorf, and Sheik.

I'm still hoping for Micaiah and Midna w/ wolf ( slim chances at best I'm afraid -_- )

PineapplePete

Smash Rookie
YES, this is just so awesome. I'm definitely going to use him. He seems really interesting, I might even main him, but I have to wait and see :D

RedKnight

Smash Ace
he probably has a move for pulling out more pikman and how would a one button match work that way?

Skalor

Smash Apprentice
not just Mario galaxy....what about Super Mario 64 when he was 6 times the size of mario? XDDDD

Yeah lol, I think Bowser has been all various sizes. On Mario 64 hes a giant, on Mario Kart hes tiny!!! Obviously hes not huge in any of the sports games, but hes reasonably big in Mario Party i think. Same applies with Petty Pirana, look at SSBB Boss video and look at Mario Strikers.

But yeah for the sake of us having alot of fun Nintendo dont mind altering the scale of characters, I mean arnt all the characters in SSB trophies anyway?

aleps

Smash Apprentice
I'm so happy Sakurai announced Olimar, it will make the wait for Brawl more desired for me at least.

SirPainsalot

Smash Apprentice
You know what makes me laugh? When people already hates how a character play as by looking at only 4 screenshots. And yeah... Captain Olimar is AWESOME! He looks like an interesting character... We'll see how he plays like is in time.

9bit

BRoomer
BRoomer
I sorta always figured he'd be in. Pikmin was a great game, and I hope this means they'll be making one on the Wii because, come on, it'd be perfect.

Fernie812

Smash Cadet
YAY! Another character! Although this definatly wasn't one of my hopefuls, I 'm still happy to see a new character! THE DROUGHT IS OVAR!

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
well, a very unique character from a very unique series. I'm glad cap'n Olimar's in.
He's definitely going to be worth playing at least once

And I believe he can attack with the pikmin (while holding on to them, physically) not just send them in to attack. I don't think he could do much with the A button otherwise.

Top Bottom