• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikmin & Olimar Land into Brawl

Kittah4

Smash Ace
Haha! What a great update! It:
1) Completely destroys size rumors. Kirbys 7 inches, Olimar is 2 X) Ollie looks well to scale
2) Ends the Character Drought! Finally! Now my post criticising people who "accepted" we wouldnt see any new characters till the release seems gratified.
3) Though I didnt personally want Olimar, I find myself in the situation of being curious to how he works, and I might even like him. Pokemon Trainer syndrome.
4) The music is by the CHRONO TRIGGER GUY OMIGOSH.

Gargomon251

Smash Journeyman
I think the opposite. Why would Sakurai show EVERYTHING on the website, thus spoiling the entire game for you before you even play it?

It'd be like FF7 launching with a website saying "Aeris is a great character, a wonderful healing. We recommend that at the end of the "temple of the ancients" dungeon, to unequip all her items!"

There has to be SOME things to make a player oooh and ahhh before the game is "common knowledge". I mean, heck, I know some people who STILL don't know the final boss to Viewtiful Joe. THAT'S keeping a secret well.
He said he knew everyone would spoil it the second it was for sale, so he was just gonna reveal all the characters, stages, and other major things himself.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
I always thought Olimar was Mario-sized but he just ended up on a jumbo sized planet?

Wayfarer

Smash Rookie
Great update! I really never saw this one coming. Olimar finally confirmed! ;)

BTW, Yasnori Mitusuda is THE MAN, my all time favorite composer who did the music for Chrono Trigger. (Best game ever) I love that guy... I hope Crono makes a comeback in this game. Almost anything is possible in Smash.

rychu_supadude

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely incredible, this. I think the awesomeness of this update speaks for itself.

However, the thing that really confuses me is - why are newcomers always revealed on either Wednesday or Monday? Mix it up, please!

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Absolutely incredible, this. I think the awesomeness of this update speaks for itself.

However, the thing that really confuses me is - why are newcomers always revealed on either Wednesday or Monday? Mix it up, please!
Ha! Ya, I'm sure we were all sitting here saying. "I'm predicting a newcomer because it's Wednesday! Sakurai, you are far too predictable!"

It doesn't matter, nobody saw this coming.

Pigking2020

Smash Rookie
Oh man, I was so happy to see Olimar and Pikmin. Pikmin was the first GC game that I really wanted and I loved that game to death, now I am happy to see him in. Hopefully his Pikmin add to the dynamics of his attacks (red=fire, yellow=electricity, blue=water, purple= hits harder because they are fat, white=poisons). That would be awesome! Right now though, I am just really happy that newer Nintendo games are not getting left out and that Olimar is in!

Aeramis

Smash Ace
Thank god for a new character update finally!!!!! Olimar and Pikmin look like alot of fun to use and very different. I can't wait to try him out.

burrito

Smash Lord
Oh, I'm so happy, its my most wanted character! I can die happy now! OH MAN!

I find this ironic, because for some reason I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep, so I went to check the smash update. I must have felt a disturbance in the force or something.

By the way, I can't believe anyone ever doubted him, in their faces.

mas369

Smash Apprentice
What? A new character update? I must be dreaming. *Jumps off of roof of house* Aw crap! this is real and I just did that! I am an idiot!

Olimar seems like an interesting character, but we'll have to wait and see to figure out how he plays. But what is important to me about this update (I was indiffrent to rather he got in or not) is that this is a new character update, which is always exciting. I just hope that the rest of this week isn't deticated to his special moves and B.A.C.O.N., those are decent updates, but I want to see new game modes, stages and characters first

Fawriel

Smash Master
Well.... sweet! I was never very interested in Olimar, but I suppose that could be changed. Though I... can't really just pick up one of his games due to "monetary restrictions" ( no monies ).
Anyone have any ideas for a way to make myself like him?

MegaTravis

Smash Rookie
Happy Birthday to me! Its my birthday have been waiting for a new character for two months and yesterday I said I hope there is a new character tomorrow and there was. I have never played Pikmin but I will still play as him alot because he looks cool.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Maybe we'll get a new(or returning) character every other day now?
It's not to long till the japanese release.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
*grabs a SSBB party ball amd opens it. revealing a food banquet* For celebration of getting a new character AND congratulations to u Captain Olimar and Pikmin!!!! WELCOME TO BRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (^^)v

M.K

Level 55
I am so happy! My number one character, lands a spot in Brawl! Olimar for Brawl!

He looks like he is swinging that Pikmin in the air, seriously, ouch!

Banana_Dragon

Smash Journeyman
New character!
And it's... Olimar?... YAAAY OLIMAR!

I enjoyed Pikmin a lot (haven't played the sequel though) and it's nice to see it getting character representation in Brawl. Olimar also looks to be quite a unique character with a good amount of "WTF-factor" added in.

Awesome update! Liked the music too.

Albiel

Smash Apprentice
First time I actually don't wake up to check the update, and it's a new character. While I never played the Pikmin games, I'm interested in seeing how this'll work. One would think that as soon as he loses his Pikmin he's a goner.

Silent_X

Smash Apprentice
Frag!, now I'm going to have to go find Pikmin 2 in a bargain bin to play it.

Or I could just rent it.

Droogieb

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai is really showing us that this game is going to be unreal. Look at how differently it looks like he will fight. It actually seems like one of the Olimar movesets that I read on a thread once
I think Down b is ge pikmen and you hold five at a time. God I can't wait for his special moves tomarrow.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
First time I actually don't wake up to check the update, and it's a new character. While I never played the Pikmin games, I'm interested in seeing how this'll work. One would think that as soon as he loses his Pikmin he's a goner.
5 bucks says that his Down B move is to pluck Pikmin from the ground XD

TheCanuck75

Smash Apprentice
I did not think it would happen, but I am so glad that it did. Time to get those fat purple pikmin and chuck them at people!

With the month remaining before launch in the US, I strongly advise those that have yet to play either of the Pikmin games to find a used copy somewhere and spend the money. Although, I will say that while I thought Pikmin 1 was a fine game, some people might find the 30 day time system to be a bit constraining. For that reason, if you are only going to buy one of them I would suggest Pikmin 2. Unlike most games today Pikmin 2 is a sequel that made some very nice, necessary changes in gameplay. It also has very nice graphics for using GC hardware. The story is weak, but the game pokes fun at that making it enjoyable, anyway. You also do feel a strong connection between Olimar and his pikmin, so I always found myself doing my best not to lose many pikmin. Plus if you do find it used it will easily be one of the best gaming investments. While Pikmin 1 may not have had the greatest length in play time, Pikmin 2 is chocked full of things to do. I still recommend both, though. Fantastic games!

Now they just need to announce Issac and I will be perfectly pleased with the newcomer cast.

Shadow Calibur

Smash Ace
I was going to wait until I heard the music to post my opinion, but I won't.

This is quite a shocker- to me, at least. I never expected Olimar to be in Brawl. I'm really interested in seeing what he can do.

It's been so long since I played Pikmin.

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
HECK YEAH!

IN YOUR FACE NAYSAYERS!

"wahh wahh he's too small
wahh he can't be in brawl"

That ******** size argument is now blown out the window AND olimar is in brawl.

Today is good.

SmashWolf

Smash Journeyman
NNID
EchoSon
3DS FC
3738-0429-7658
The character just seems to suck as much as Ice Climbers. No variety in moves, your power is dependant on your level 1 bot controlled slaves, and movement will be irritating when you have to make sure 5 of these guys follow you without dieng.

I like Pikmin as a game, but seriously, just because they have good games doesn't mean they have the potential for a decent Brawl character. So far, alot of Brawl characters have a big variety of moves and plenty smooth movement. (Marth only swings with his danged sword. No variety either. Ice Climbers suck at movement, since Nana is controlled by a level 1 bot, and you have to make sure she doesn't die. And yeah, they also only use freezing attacks and hammers.) Pikmin & Olimar seems to be only put in because they are one of Nintendo's popular franchise's representing characters. Not much thought at all except for making an original and wanted character for Brawl.

Alright. I didn't play as him yet. But I can already tell what he'll be. Please, Nintendo, suprise me and make him a good character, instead of the second Ice Climbers.

Twintail

Smash Cadet
so happy...*sniff sniff* I LOVE OLIMAR!!! And he's just as I imagined him. This is who im playing as first, Geno? PHshs who's geno

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
The character just seems to suck as much as Ice Climbers. No variety in moves, your power is dependant on your level 1 bot controlled slaves, and movement will be irritating when you have to make sure 5 of these guys follow you without dieng.

I like Pikmin as a game, but seriously, just because they have good games doesn't mean they have the potential for a decent Brawl character. So far, alot of Brawl characters have a big variety of moves and plenty smooth movement. (Marth only swings with his danged sword. No variety either. Ice Climbers suck at movement, since Nana is controlled by a level 1 bot, and you have to make sure she doesn't die. And yeah, they also only use freezing attacks and hammers.) Pikmin & Olimar seems to be only put in because they are one of Nintendo's popular franchise's representing characters. Not much thought at all except for making an original and wanted character for Brawl.

Alright. I didn't play as him yet. But I can already tell what he'll be. Please, Nintendo, suprise me and make him a good character, instead of the second Ice Climbers.
You seem to know alot about a character just revealed on the Dojo.

In fact now everything you say is completely credible...

Oh and

stop whining.

Top Bottom