• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu

Soul.

well i already paid my copies off, but yea im going to be on the 3ds a lot cause my team travel a lot
That's great. Maybe you'll do team battles online with friends?
But back on topic, as seen in the Pikachu demo video on Smash 3DS, it looks like the neutral aerial can auto-cancel.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
It looks like you at least get a couple more hits in the previous games before they SDI out, but the important thing is that they get out of getting hit by the final hitbox, which seems to have the most hitstun. I don't know...

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Pikachu sure is looking nice in this new game. :) Pika's always been my favorite Pokemon, so I always have high hopes for this little guy. <3

Soul.

Oohhh i see but you have to keep momentum going
Yeah, it's kinda like Melee's, I think, since you have to keep the momentum going. It's better than nothing, I guess.
Apparently, as seen in the video's comments, Pikachu's down aerial can still auto-cancel with a short hop, like in Brawl. If this is true, Pikachu might have an easy time with the other characters.
@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed : You're right. Pikachu's looking good. If grabs don't do a lot of knockback, it could get its chain grabs from Brawl. Of course, chain grabs may be annoying to some, but the games are supposed to be balanced.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Yeah, it's kinda like Melee's, I think, since you have to keep the momentum going. It's better than nothing, I guess.
Apparently, as seen in the video's comments, Pikachu's down aerial can still auto-cancel with a short hop, like in Brawl. If this is true, Pikachu might have an easy time with the other characters.
@ ミスティック Speed ミスティック Speed : You're right. Pikachu's looking good. If grabs don't do a lot of knockback, it could get its chain grabs from Brawl. Of course, chain grabs may be annoying to some, but the games are supposed to be balanced.
Hmm...somehow I figured Sakurai would have stuff like that removed for balance, but who knows.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Watching that video again, I realized Thunder is like the worst possible combination of meteor and non-meteor hits. The bolt doesn't meteor so you can't B-reverse Thunder offstage and expect the opponent to drop, unless people are ballsy enough to go deep on high recovering opponents just for the meteor. On the other hand, the cloud meteor means thunderspiking is definitely neutered. I get that the bolt is supposed to combo into the grounded thunder hitbox but who knows how effective that will be with DI. At least it comes out quicker.

Also, why no jab finisher Sakurai?

Soul.

Hmm...somehow I figured Sakurai would have stuff like that removed for balance, but who knows.
I suppose it's because the demo was an old one. If grabs are the same as the previous Smash games, chain grabs are probably coming back. Like you said, who knows?
@ Choice Scarf Choice Scarf : Yeah, Pikachu mains will have to be careful on how they're going to use Thunder offstage. If the opponent recovers that high and Pikachu uses Thunder, they could fall down and be KO'd. On the ground, it could be useful to follow up with an Up-Smash. It has to do with DI, so maybe when the 3DS version releases, Pikachu mains could try out Thunder.

Soul.

I'm sure Smash DI will be there in the final version. It was probably "nerfed" on the demo because it was an earlier version of the games.

Iaeyan Elyuex

Smash Rookie
I just remember this stinker being a pain in the rear because of his down+a ground attack. I can't get near him when he's doing that. Don't get me started on the Thunder attack.

DuwangAnon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0516-7668-7793
According to Solfiner, Pokemon is less Nintendo than Xenoblade.
Im tired to prove that he is wrong. You can find him in Shulk thread support. it would be helpful.
Oh! Hey! Buddy! It's you! The one who's taking things out of context and spreading hate to the other forums. How's it going? I'd love to stay and chat, but I have to go inform everybody else that your argument is taken out of context, and that what Solfner was talking about how Xenoblade is Nintendo First-party (we have official legal proof. Check out our thread if you must) and that Pokémon is Second party, being Game Freak and all that. Well, have a nice day! I've gotta go kill some Mechon.

Soul.

Looks like SmashWiki has done it once again:

I honestly doubt the down throw is going to stay like that. The game is supposed to be balanced, so maybe Pikachu's grabs will do like 10% with probably the same knockback that they had in Brawl.
Of course, it's better to wait for the final version.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pika will be a secondary character for me again.

Gotta love how he's always at least High Tier. Gurantee for compatitive viability : It's Pikachu:4pikachu:

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I thought they had follow ups. I guess I was wrong, although things could change in the final build.
Obviously I think there will be a few exceptions to this rule, but the way the grab throws are made is to be like 64 I think (where grabs launch you and can KO). Obviously in 64 you could combo off walls with them, but with wall teching being a thing since Melee, well that just creates a chase and a juggling setup.
It now goes through platforms? Well, I suppose Pikachu is going to have a good time on stages like Battlefield.
It only works if you start using the move under the platform though.

The top of the cloud is still the spike though.

Soul.

Obviously I think there will be a few exceptions to this rule, but the way the grab throws are made is to be like 64 I think (where grabs launch you and can KO). Obviously in 64 you could combo off walls with them, but with wall teching being a thing since Melee, well that just creates a chase and a juggling setup.

It only works if you start using the move under the platform though.

The top of the cloud is still the spike though.
I see. Guess this will change the grab game for most characters, Pikachu included. Down and forward throws don't chain grab anymore, so other options will have to make up for the loss of these chain grabs.
Yeah, I know the top of the cloud is the meteor smash. If Thunder's vertical range isn't that great this time, the custom moves will solve that problem, provided they're not banned.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Based party hat making the return. HYES!

Oh, and if that white headband doesn't have a pokeball in the center I will be disappointed

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
True, but I kind of need one that I use more than the other. Can't really keep track of using two equally or with certain rules or anything.

I think what I'll do is use the Ethan hat mainly, and then when I'm super serious, use shiny fighter Pika. He looks like "srs bsns someone bout to get rekt"

It'd make for an awesome comeback too. :)

Ookami Hajime

Smash Ace
Pikachu is looking very solid again in this game. U-air strings spectacularly and falling f-air still leads into other moves (u-tilt, possibly grab, hopefully others). His offstage game is spectacular too

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I think I will probably end up maining Pikachu in this game.
I can't wait for it to finally come to the Americas xD

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I noticed, but Pika can now grab the ledge backwards. Unless that's been like that since brawl?

Also, Leffen discovered this. Thunder can combo break.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Another thing I noticed, but Pika can now grab the ledge backwards. Unless that's been like that since brawl?

Also, Leffen discovered this. Thunder can combo break.
Wait.... that sounds a little overwhelming :x

Edit: Okay, so it isn't as bad as I thought, but still nice xD

Last edited:

E-ColeWorld

Smash Apprentice
SO listen up. Just got through watching Shofu play pikachu and his forward smash is nerfed. He literally couldn't kill 120+ damaged Mario. Just thought i should share this information. Maybe im over thinking it....

S/O to Shofu btw

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
SO listen up. Just got through watching Shofu play pikachu and his forward smash is nerfed. He literally couldn't kill 120+ damaged Mario. Just thought i should share this information. Maybe im over thinking it....

S/O to Shofu btw
Yeah, I've been playing as him in the Demo, and his FSmash feels very nerfed. On the flip side, though, his movement and attacks feel much faster overall. I think Pikachu will fare well enough, in general.

Top Bottom