• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu Social Thread

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
after a very few attacks Pikachu's pressure resets and it feels like I'm trying to grasp greasy butter in my hand when trying to keep the advantage.
You got it right and understand it with that quote.

Don't fight against that, because that's totally Pika's pressure in a nut-shell.
Enjoy it and break-the-ice of your awkwardness! EVOLVE!

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Out of curiosity how do you Pikachu mains maintain pressure when you can get in? I feel like whenever I can capitalize on anything that after a very few attacks Pikachu's pressure resets and it feels like I'm trying to grasp greasy butter in my hand when trying to keep the advantage.

I like how he plays I'm just stuck in the awkward phase of understanding the roles of Pikachu's normals for pressure, spacing, combo filler, etc.
That is how Pika's pressure works. It flows in and out, after a few attacks you must learn to dodge, evade, feint moves and shield grab when they make a mistake to start the pressure again. I usually use jolt at this point some too to rack up some damage depending on the situation.

Sarix

Smash Ace
That is how Pika's pressure works. It flows in and out, after a few attacks you must learn to dodge, evade, feint moves and shield grab when they make a mistake to start the pressure again. I usually use jolt at this point some too to rack up some damage depending on the situation.
Okay thanks. I was just checking because I'm still getting used to the character as a secondary. He's pretty fun so far otherwise.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
What characters do you think pikachu has a hard time against? I've got trouble against snake, dedede, and charizard, but in particular snake. If they ever manage to shield during pressure, I always get shield grabbed. With snake, I get chain grabbed to hell and get c4d until I die. Also, I think that pikachu could benefit from a bigger grab range or a running attack thats not useless. Pikachus tech skills are awesome, but I feel like using him over other pressure characters (fox in particular) really has no advantage.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
Grab more during your pressure, since you can just Grab their shield, and Pika has good punishes after that. They WILL Grab a lot too, because you're Pika, so free Grabs all day.
His Grab range is already pretty beast.

Less start-up on Up-B would be hilariously awesome, though.

Paradoxium

Smash Master
auto cancel grab, or the quick attack thing where you go through their shield, you could also use d tilt and shockwave. When im pika I usually go for a bait rather then a rush down, and when I get a hit off or grab I lock them in a combo until they escape, then I go right back into baiting. i used to go nair/ U-air rushdowns but ive found that they can usually shield grab you. I usually only dive in with nair/ u air after a successful bait, i use the options listed above when going on the offense.

hamyojo

Smash Ace
I hate just kinda throwing out ideas/recommendations to the PMBR that just gives them more work, but I think this one is reasonable...
What if they made half of Pikachu's costume swaps have the girl tail? Two or three of the Pikas can be girls, and two or three can be guys.
Just a little thing that I think would be pretty cool, and it wouldn't go unnoticed, especially because Pika's best move may be his/her up air.

It's like two extra polygons, but I think it'd make a lot of people happy.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I hate just kinda throwing out ideas/recommendations to the PMBR that just gives them more work, but I think this one is reasonable...
What if they made half of Pikachu's costume swaps have the girl tail? Two or three of the Pikas can be girls, and two or three can be guys.
Why can't people include pictures of stuff, too much googling. So it would have one less Zig Zag and be shorter? Would seem almost okay but Up-air would be weird if you get a hit with the tail not being in the hitbox, "unprofessional". Would we raise the pitch closer to Pichu to make them girl Pikachus?

B.W.

Smash Champion
Is Pikachu done being weird in areas that make him hard to play yet?

I'll find out some other time, I'm too hooked on Kirby, but I still want to talk about the little yellow dude.

Sarix

Smash Ace

I'll find out some other time, I'm too hooked on Kirby, but I still want to talk about the little yellow dude.
Outside of Quick Attack having half the difficulty curve in controlling it compared to 2.6 he feels relatively the same. I haven't come upon any weird things like how his hurtbox stretched before.

Anther

Smash Champion

Feels really good to me after the 2.6b update. It's the perfect blend of brawl's utility and Melee's precision, with a dash of spice that just makes it oh so scrumptious.

Outside of Quick Attack having half the difficulty curve in controlling it compared to 2.6 he feels relatively the same. I haven't come upon any weird things like how his hurtbox stretched before.
Oh yeah, 3.0 removing that was really nice too.

There's also a bigger window in the form of a buffer to input things out of a quick attack cancel.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
There's a buffer on QAC? Odd... how does that work?
I haven't tested if I can get in stages with QA, but I assume the hurt-box thing worked it out. In 2.6b, I could still actually get inside about 5 or so of the neutral-stages with the proper angles. XD

Anther

Smash Champion
There's a buffer on QAC? Odd... how does that work?
Works.. well =D?
Without pika's tail stretching from the endings of QA1 and QA2, he actually ends up very close to the ground at the end of quick attack's animation. When I played pika in an early 3.0 build he only had about 1 frame (maybe 2) to actually jump out of quick attack before he'd just land the laggy way. So.. as a solution our pmbr friends gave us a small buffer for the input. As a side effect of these two changes.. jumping out of quick attack is very smooth and quick now since you can jump at the first possible frame every time.

It's actually made the waveland crossup out of quick attack feel very viable to me now. I just need to be able to wrap my head around the inputs and direction changes so that my opponents can't tell that the move is confusing me also =P.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
lol That's an awesome adjustment.
I always WL out of QAC's anyway. Same with things like Quick Draw with Ike, I just love staying mobile and letting all options remain open after quick positional altering maneuvers. *maybe habit but I love it
I bet making people think you're confused is more beneficial than not. IF you're not actually confused, that is.

Patches

Smash Master
Hey everyone, im patches. Im a brawl :gw: main from canada, and i finally got project m working on my wii for the first time since the original demo. And ive spent the majority of my night playing random, getting the feel for the game etc etc. And now, i think i may have found a couple of characters i like the most, :pikachu2: being one of them. So, you mifht see me around here some more! Are there any tips anyone would be willing to share?

Edit: after playing more games with :pikachu2:, i have a question, can you sweet spot edges, or am i just doing it wrong? Lol

Player -0

Smash Hero
Hey everyone, im patches. Im a brawl :gw: main from canada, and i finally got project m working on my wii for the first time since the original demo. And ive spent the majority of my night playing random, getting the feel for the game etc etc. And now, i think i may have found a couple of characters i like the most, :pikachu2: being one of them. So, you mifht see me around here some more! Are there any tips anyone would be willing to share?

Edit: after playing more games with :pikachu2:, i have a question, can you sweet spot edges, or am i just doing it wrong? Lol
You can sweet spot edges, just make sure you're not holding down. So make sure, if you're QA'ing down (or diagonally down), that you input the direction and once you see Pika start moving you let return the control stick to neutral.

Not sure if you can sweet spot straight down.

Patches

Smash Master
Yeah i managed to sweet spot a few times last night midst my playing, but from what i can tell you can et it going straight down. Youll go past it and die ):

Clade

Smash Rookie
I`m not sure but i think you can sweetspot it. My Wii is not here, so I cant test it. Try to grab the ledge, press the controllstick backwards and then qac up and straight down.

SpiderMad

Smash Master
I'm compare the sounds sometime and say which I like more, but right now I'm fine with Brawl's

Top Bottom