• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu is wayyy underrated in doubles

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
He can gimp easily and save his teammate safely. Since his recovery is so good, he doesn't have to worry about grabbing the edge nearly as much as most characters. He's fast. He's no combo beast like a spacie, but his traits shine through in teams. If Isai played a good Pikachu, it would have been the next best thing to his Sheik.

Anybody have any more supporting opinions? Disagreements? I main complaint is Pika's grab range. His 1v2 skills could be better too.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
A lot of people are really underrated. pikachu's grabs, range, pityful sheild, being chain throwable and light , and approach hold him back from being spamed. look at lower people they are never touched

wool

Smash Ace
Yep ICG basically said it.

In doubles, if he does save his opponent and recovers on stage, he is screwed. you will have 2 people going after your end lag on that up-b and it wont end well.
I dont really know much about teams though.

P.S. AXE's pika > Isai's sheik

N64

Smash Champion
I love pika in teams. Honestly, he jumps like 4-5 tier positions in teams and I haven't really found anyone who disagrees.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
I argee as long as you think pichu should be fairly higher on the tier list. But yeah I could see pikachu being good in teams being chain throw bait isn't as bad but what about the approach problem? Do you just run around or what?

N64

Smash Champion
You mostly just run around and grab gimps/setup when you can. Approaching isn't as much of an issue in teams because it's a little more hectic and everyone's watching 3 other chars instead of just 1, so you can get in a little easier. If they try to force you to approach, 2v1 the other guy etc. Uair and usmash shine in teams, as uair is good for setting someone up for your teammate and also for teh gimps. Usmash is just pika's staple finisher and it's easier to hit in teams. Your recovery is good so it's relatively difficult for even 2 people to edgeguard you (and if they're just edgeguarding you, your teammate is going to punish them. Pika caaaan save teammates, though not often, with uair, though the main cool thing about this is pika can always make it back from save attempts because of his fantastic recovery.

tdk_Samurai

Smash Ace
god, I love pika in teams. saving teamates all day. I don't think the whole recovering with 2 people watching you is that big of a deal, unless one is marth. Recovery is amazing, so pika makes a good life tank. And you don't nescesarely get screwed if your teamate isn't paying attention, cause it feels like pika can get around edgegaurds better than alot of chars. Seriously, if I felt pika wasn't like top tier or atleast high tier in teams, I would not play him.

-Chad-

Slackerator
I don't really like playing Pika in teams much (unless it's a double pika team holy crap).

I dunno I always liked having a lot of room to move around and in teams that's kinda not happening.

AXE 09

Smash Master
I don't really like playing Pika in teams much (unless it's a double pika team holy crap).

I dunno I always liked having a lot of room to move around and in teams that's kinda not happening.
double pika in teams is AMAZING! =D

but pika in teams actually isn't bad at all, but it's just... i usually perfer falco or fox. it kinda all depends on my teammate. when my teammate plays fox, pikachu actually works pretty well with him. good stuff lol.

Smash Master
Good recovery doesn't matter as much in teams as in singles since there's another person who can disrupt an edgeguarder just by basically bringing the fight near him.

N64

Smash Champion
Oh yeah, I should mention pika tends to be one of those teammate-dependant characters. Pika doesn't do well in teams with everyone, and usually needs a solid damage dealer to back him up.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
Pika is meant for support. N64 kinda said that already, but yeah. Put him with Fox/Ganon/someone that can kill easily with a predictable recovery (for easy team saves!) and you're good to go.

Yep ICG basically said it.

In doubles, if he does save his opponent and recovers on stage, he is screwed. you will have 2 people going after your end lag on that up-b and it wont end well.
I dont really know much about teams though.

P.S. AXE's pika > Isai's sheik
Wut? Get a better teammate. When you recover, they should be protecting you. Especially if you just saved them.

Also, P.S.

I like AXE, but srsly, no one is > Isai in teams. You had to have seen him play in person. AXE is cool and all, but Isai manhandled Ken AND Bombsoldier at the same time @ OC3. Don't think a Pika could do that. Granted, he was CF, buuuuuuuuut, his Sheik is every bit as dumb.

AXE 09

Smash Master
Pika is meant for support. N64 kinda said that already, but yeah. Put him with Fox/Ganon/someone that can kill easily with a predictable recovery (for easy team saves!) and you're good to go.

Wut? Get a better teammate. When you recover, they should be protecting you. Especially if you just saved them.

Also, P.S.

I like AXE, but srsly, no one is > Isai in teams. You had to have seen him play in person. AXE is cool and all, but Isai manhandled Ken AND Bombsoldier at the same time @ OC3. Don't think a Pika could do that. Granted, he was CF, buuuuuuuuut, his Sheik is every bit as dumb.
lol.... pikachu isn't my only character.

saving people with pikachu is awesome! i love it. when you really think about it, pikachu's actually pretty good in teams.

in fact, at my last tournament, me and forward had to fight taj and wobbles, and the only match that we won was when i used pikachu (at least i think we only won 1 match, i'm pretty sure. i can't remember lol)

wool

Smash Ace
Oh. I just assumed that since pika would be landing on stage (and there are two opponents) pika would just be hit again. I guess i didnt think of my partner helping out. my bad.

jetfour

Smash Journeyman
Jeff, your pika is best in teams followed by fox when you get shinespikes in. Your falco is a beast in singles but all that movement does not work in doubles.

Anyways, Pikachu's recovery does not really get punished with a competent teammate. His strength is being able to gimp/save wayyyy off stage safely. The only comparable character is jiggz, but pika is much faster.

I am not trying to say pika is the best at teams, but if there was a team tier, pika would be at least high.

Double pika is ridiculously amazing though. So hard not to get edgeguarded versus it.

... And pika upsmash is almost wombo comboable. Some team combo with thunder would be flashy.

N64

Smash Champion
Chad + N64 = **** pika team. It's so silly when one of us usmashes and we both jump after it with thunder.

AprilShaw

aka Logan
Mogwai and DJ Nintendo did pretty well as double Pikachu at SPOCVIII, and neither of them play as Pikachu lol. They lost to Scar & Hax$ (double pika vs double C.F. was odd to watch) and dunno who else but they got pretty far ^.^

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Mogwai and DJ Nintendo did pretty well as double Pikachu at SPOCVIII, and neither of them play as Pikachu lol. They lost to Scar & Hax$ (double pika vs double C.F. was odd to watch) and dunno who else but they got pretty far ^.^
Pikachu's my 2nd best character right now and Pika's one of DJ's better characters. We did aight, but we could've done better, especially in that Scar + Hax set. We MMed them double Pika vs. double CF at a No Johns and took it to game 5, but I dunno, it didn't seem like either of our Pikachus were spacing well vs. them in the SPOC set.

InterimOfZeal

Smash Champion
lol.... pikachu isn't my only character.

saving people with pikachu is awesome! i love it. when you really think about it, pikachu's actually pretty good in teams.

in fact, at my last tournament, me and forward had to fight taj and wobbles, and the only match that we won was when i used pikachu (at least i think we only won 1 match, i'm pretty sure. i can't remember lol)
Still, it's freakin' Isai. No one will ever be a teammate like he was. =(

So, Taj and Wobbles always team nowadays?

AXE 09

Smash Master
Still, it's freakin' Isai. No one will ever be a teammate like he was. =(

So, Taj and Wobbles always team nowadays?
no, they just teamed this once lol. it's been a very long time since they teamed, but they did at the last tourney. taj was pretty much retired, but i'm HOPING that now he's getting back into melee =)

i actually faught DJ nintendo at Genesis in a pika ditto. i gotta admit... his pikachu is no joke lol. i give him my respect. his bowser's on crack o.O

AXE 09

Smash Master
crap seriously? that's scary lol. we did a $10 MM pika ditto at genesis. i won 3-1, but i was still shocked at how good his pika was, and he even took a game off me. i had to fight him in teams, which was double bowser. that was SO freakin hard, my teammate and i got own-dizzled lol

AXE 09

Smash Master
playing vs. double bowser is like playing brawl except slower and less fun.
nothing in melee is less fun than brawl (did that make sense?)

but seriously, it was actually really really hard, and they move fast as heck! i was like wtf???? falco + fox shouldn't lose to double bowser, but hey, anything in melee is possible lol

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
We know, Pocky and I had to play them in pools (which in retrospect, we should've gotten changed, since our pool had 3 teams with EC players (Catuar + Darkrain, DJN + Warrior Knight, Me + Pocky)) and ugh, it's just so frustrating.

And seriously, I hate brawl, but got****, I was about ready to warm up my B button for Brawl Falco after that match.

INSANE CARZY GUY

Banned via Warnings
yeah the hat is to legit it makes you look bigger than you are same reason why I use the backpack for pichu(that and it makes you wieght more). mindgames and combos are better when you look amazing

Stratford

Smash Champion
Yea he's pretty good at running around and being annoying which is good in doubles.

And yea party hat Pika is top tier.

wool

Smash Ace
i find it weird that his skin changes shades depending on what hat he wears :p
and red wouldve been cooler if it was sideways.

Top Bottom