• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu: A discussion

Anther

Smash Champion
Besides the weirdest dialog I've ever read Scissors, I'm soo using the short hop wd grab. omg that sounds sensual.

Anther

Smash Champion
It doesn't get shield grabbed as often =x.
Dunno, play more, eventually you'll just be able to tell teh differenece in the timing that you can do stuff.

D. Disciple

Smash Master
hm...how can you tell if you've l-canceled pika's nair? it looks so freakin' quick without being l-canceled i can't even tell =/

by the way, happy thanksgiving guys =)
Fastfall it without l-cancelling, then do it again but L-cancel. Do this in training mode at half speed, you will tell the difference you can do it at normal speed and tell the difference.

N64

Smash Champion
Oh man, tis the day where the giving of thanks occurs, and I'd just like to say I adore this community. The pika boards own and make me proud to call myself a pika main. So many cool people here and I love how this community works out.

Anther - You're probably the flashiest pika out there. It gets you killed a lot, but at least it's fun to watch right? I'm sure you're having fun doing it anyhow. Thanks for developing such an interesting style and testing out the craziest of tactics regardless of viability to show what pika is capable of.

Chad - Still my favorite pikachu player, even if you don't play him as much any more. You have a nice mix of my combo potential/control and zig's consistancy, and I love watching your matches. I wish you'd keep playing him in tourneys, but I know he's a garbage character and winning lots is kinda cool too. I hope we get to play more some time.

D. Disciple - Your pika is still coming along nicely. With the number of pika mains around these days, and my lack of tournament goings lately, I feel kinda left behind. But you consistently coming to me for advice and confirming the advice I give keeps me (along with other things) feeling important and knowledgable about pika. There's so much to him that I assume others know, which isn't always the case, and I'm glad to talk about it when I can. Keep on improving man, you're doing awesome.

Festizzio - As a relatively new pika player coming in, I had my doubts on how much you'd bring to the community at first, but you're a natural part of it nowadays. You have some cool ideas here and there, and most importantly have a passion to see what all pikachu is capable of, which I like. Though I've seen few of your matches, there is potential there, and I'm sure you'll be a great pika player in time.

Phillybilly/Scissors Sir - As one of the most prominent people trying to keep this community together and working as some odd family, it's really cool having you around. I was watching your pika owning people at VLS too, I was quite impressed. It's always fun talking to ya and playing you, we should definately get more matches in.

Pikachun00b - I saw some of your friendlies at VLS, I probably should have tried to get in a couple but I think I was doing second round pools at the time or something. Lookin good. You are definately a character around the pika boards these days, and always keep things entertaining. Glad to have ya here man.

Pikapika - Feed your pikachu more. Geez.

Raptorhawk - We should play more! I think I've only seen you at like two tourneys, which is attrocious considering how close we live to eachother.

Tope - wtf, main pikachu again.

Zig-zag - Any chance st. louis can make it down for barrio smash this saturday? It'd be cool to play some more. I'm starting to not mind pika dittos as much anymore. You've challenged me on a lot of my advice, and while I'm not a huge fan of your style directly, it works. It's just not for me, heh. You're owning the midwest man, taking out a number of top players and have really made a name for yourself. Keep repping the pika showing what he's capable of.

The rest of ya - You're all awesome. I don't think that there's anyone who posts here that I dislike. Keep making the boards awesome.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
*following N64's lead* thanks to everyone at the pika boards for giving me all of this advice, answering my questions, and posting matches that i can watch and use to improve.

ndelz87

Smash Apprentice
Im trying to swwet spot the ledge with pika's up b but i keep on recovering high or too low, and i either get smashed or i just fall, is there a trick to sweetspotting it o just practice?

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
ahhh! i need help guys! i decided to pick up doc as a sub since i figured i needed a break from pikachu. but doc's becoming increasingly fun to play with and i play reasonably well with him. the problem is that i'm afraid i'll ditch pika as a main and go to doc D=. somebody bring me back to the light T.T

festizzio

Smash Champion
ahhh! i need help guys! i decided to pick up doc as a sub since i figured i needed a break from pikachu. but doc's becoming increasingly fun to play with and i play reasonably well with him. the problem is that i'm afraid i'll ditch pika as a main and go to doc D=. somebody bring me back to the light T.T
I had that feeling once too, but after playing some good people as Doc I realized I had way more potential and fun-ness as Pikachu. :)

Anther

Smash Champion
I'm considering Pound 3... Really bad financial decision on my part but I'll figure it out in about a month x_X.

And dunno Psycho.. Maybe Doc's calling you... it's natural though. Sometimes sucky characters try to take you away from your true love...

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I'm considering Pound 3... Really bad financial decision on my part but I'll figure it out in about a month x_X.

And dunno Psycho.. Maybe Doc's calling you... it's natural though. Sometimes sucky characters try to take you away from your true love...
If you come, I will be there, my love. <3

festizzio

Smash Champion
Then you will walk.
I'll just quick-attack my way there.

Edit: I was trying something out that worked occasionally yesterday...fthrow to uair spike, like if they're standing near the edge you can run up and fthrow them, then drop off the ledge and uair, I got a few kills doing it.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
holy crap! i just did a combo with pikachu! dthrow, dsmash, uair semi-spike, dsmash, nair...i think it was something like that. that was so sick, i've never combo'd with pikachu more than a few hits before... and even then it's usually just uair juggling.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Well while practicing the pikachu moon jump thingy, I discovered that doing his turn around animation at the edge of the stage will ledge cancel some of it and you'll start running back the other way either faster or just as fast as normal dash animation...also there's a point in Pikachu's turn around animation where you can do fsmash and ftilt and stuff, just like a pivot, so it's like a running pivot. And if you combine the two previous things you can do really cool looking edge guards. :)

Edit: oh snap, if you run from one side of the stage to the other and time it just right, you can turn around with no lag at all! :O

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I remember I did this a couple times.

1. Fox is laying down after being hit.
2.Pikachu runs next to fox
3. Pikachu taunts
5. As Fox does his "Tech attack"(or whatever the hell you want to call it), Pikachu Taunt cancels.
6. Pikachu Uairs out of sheild.
7. ????
8. PROFIT!!

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
Hey, have you guys heard of Luigi's ladder?

In doubles matches, two luigis would save eachother by jumping down and up-b'ing eachother for however long they want. It can be an infinite stall. Also, it can be used to KO both opponents at the same time. Uppercutting until they pass through the ceiling.

I was wondering, are Pikachus able to do the same thing? If you cross through a character while quick attacking, they're able to use their up-B again... so if you can get the accuracy down, wouldn't that be an invaluble tactic if two people were to go dual pikachu?

That brings up another point, what if a pika-team got so skilled with the up-B could they just constantly quick attack through their opponents and then eachother so they can spam it in a high rate of speed? It would eliminate the limit of two directions you could go, since you're constantly being hit, and because quick attack interrupts attacks and stuns you for a split second, you wouldn't be able to move or attack out of it if it were happening so quickly.

If it's totally bogus, no worries. I dont' have another person in my town at the moment who would be able to help me test this until I get back home.

N64

Smash Champion
Man I love pikachu as a character. He keeps having new and interesting things pop up years after the game came out. I've never thought of this.

The ladder seems doable, I don't see why it wouldn't work unless the marginal knockback is registered as enough to star-ko someone once one pika gets high enough. Haven't tested it though.

The other tactic you bring up seems rather silly. The first problem is the stuntime. This split-second of stun is actually just that, a split second. Probably closest to like an 8th of a second (I don't have the framedata, just an estimate), so keeping someone locked in place with dual quick attacks, if it's even possible, would require ridiculous timing from both pikas. Also, I'm assuming the setup you're talking about is 2 pikas each on an opposite side of the opponents (together between the pikas) far enough that they can't reach eachother with one part of the quick attack, but can go through both opponents. Then pika1 quick attacks across and back, pika2 does the same while the first is in landing lag from quick attack, and then pika1 goes again once pika2's quick attack is done, and so forth. IF perma stun from this is possible, AND assuming both pikas are capable of getting in the position for it, starting it correctly, and having the timing to continue it, then the easiest way to get out of this is for the opponents to smash DI one direction and then **** one pika as soon as they get out. If it isn't possible, the opponent can shield after a quick attack and either jump out of shield or just roll to one side.

In any setup where the pikas quick attack through eachother (hit eachother with the quickattack to stop some landing lag or something), the pika would experience the same hit lag as the opponent, thus making it escapable.

Correct me if I'm not understanding your explanation correctly. Overall, seems too difficult to setup and maintain (and potentially escapable anyhow) to warrant a double pikachu team. Neat idea though!

Xanthyr

Smash Journeyman
I know that it'd be very hard to do... Wouldn't the smash DI be too weak? The knockback from the attack is too weak to knock them out of it, which is why I thought it'd be good for holding them there. If the stun is 1/8 of a second one way, that means two strikes is 1/4, if two pikachus did it in perfect time, it would turn into 1/2 of a second. In a perfect world, would you be able to spread the 1/2 of a second to where they can't easily get out of it? I'm not saying practically, but in a perfect control video type of deal. I was also thinking the pikachus quick attacking eachother, making it faster to reinitiate the quick attack once more?

Another thing to utilize the Pikachu's web (or should it still be Ladder?) is the two pikachus to go edgeguard way off the stage, if they were to master it, they can go to any part of the level, in a circle even. Imagine the youtube videos now...

Anyways, what I mean is if pika1 jumps off to suicide KO someone, pika2 jumps off the stage after them. Pika1 used his double jump already and quick attacks back, and pika2 starts the web and they make their way back to the stage.

Who else would be able to do this? I was think Samus and Pikachu could make a makeshift ladder.quick attack up and down and slowly gain altitude.

Also, for straight laughs only, what about three pikachus and one sorry victim. Woukld the Quick-lock happen then?

Top Bottom