• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pikachu: A discussion

Cuno56

Smash Apprentice
Do Mario's first, and then Pika's, and then Falco's

In order from easiest to most difficult.
I could've sworn I read somewhere that Pika took the same amount of time as fox to get in the air (4 frames) and Falco took 6 frames. Am I completely mistaken?

(And, wow, did I just post in the Pika boards?)

festizzio

Smash Champion
I got a question that I don't feel deserves a new thread: Is it possible to chain grab a fox/falco when they di hard right or left? I don't think you can, mostly because I think they fall TOO fast, anybody know?

N64

Smash Champion
I haven't played pikachu in like a week and a half. Convince me to play him more.

Also, you can chain throw regardless of DI from about 10% to 80%ish (assuming they can't DI to a platform, uneven ground, or off the edge before it). Try jump cancelling your grabs if you're having difficulties.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I haven't played pikachu in like a week and a half. Convince me to play him more.

Also, you can chain throw regardless of DI from about 10% to 80%ish (assuming they can't DI to a platform, uneven ground, or off the edge before it). Try jump cancelling your grabs if you're having difficulties.
You better play pika if you wanna keep up with me, andy ;)

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
is dthrow ever useful ever? it feels like it should be but in practice i havn't ever been able to combo out of it when people DI aawy. starting to think i should just always uthrow

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
is dthrow ever useful ever? it feels like it should be but in practice i havn't ever been able to combo out of it when people DI aawy. starting to think i should just always uthrow
Its character specific. You CAN get a upsmash on certain characters at high percentages to finish them off, but it really depends. I do it on some larger characters, and have killed some pikachus and Marths that way.

Anther

Smash Champion
With the D-throw.. you can occasionally D-throw to Jab at low percents, which'll make your opponent do their stand-up animation, which is a free anything you want to follow it up with.

Sosuke

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
8132-9932-4710
Maybe I should buy every Pikachu merchandise I find?
I guess I am a Pikachu maniac!

I have like 40+ Pikachus, and a dozen Pichus in pokemon diamond.
I believe minum, plusle, and pacharisu are Pikachu's Butt- Buddies.
Pika caused women to have periods.
Pika owns your mom.
I only bought SSBM because pikachu is a char.
I have pokemon channel.
I get depressed when the Pika section is gray.
My family hates me.
Oh man i had pokemon channel to. i know how you feel.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I know it's possible to ledge tech with pikachu, but I've only done it once, and against fox's usmash surprisingly. Is there any way to practice it, like there is to practice falco's ledge teching?

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I just remembered that you can chain grab Ganon with the down throw once he gets to like 70 something damage, then finish him off.

So woo.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
I may have spoken too soon...

Can someone help me out? I cant get windows movie maker to work on Vista right, but Ive obtained a crew battle from She's Got A Bomb 1. I need someone to cut out my match with Viperboy from it, cause its driving me crazy that I cant get a basic video editor to work right.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Wow I just found my pikachu pet, it's like the tomogotchi but pikachu and you shake it up to power up pikachu, anyone remember that?

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
first off: pikachu ftw!
something's been kind of bothering me though: is it virtually impossible for pikachu to get into top professional play...? what i mean is, i dont think i've seen a pikachu player take on ken or isai and such. however, there seem to be plenty of higher tier character-users that do. that is, is pikachu stuck with mediocrity?

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
Probably, Higher tier characters are where they are because they have a better chance of winning tournments. There is a chance he might get there once but no more than that. He just doesn't have the power or range he sorely needs to win in higher tier play. Especially when everyone's going around playing on FD all the time.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
man, that's kinda disappointing...oh well, i suppose i'll be lucky if i even get to competitive play in smash...and pikachu seems to do all right there. i'd really like to see pikachu take the spotlight sometime though, he deserves it =D

festizzio

Smash Champion
Listen to this: you can't uair tail spike with pikachu in brawl. :O And his usmash seems really weakened, but on the plus side it seems as though his thunder has infinite vertical reach again and is a LOT less laggy than in melee. It also hits them straight up, a few times i was able to get a kill by getting them directly above me and spamming thunder.

Zig-Zag!

Smash Lord
Listen to this: you can't uair tail spike with pikachu in brawl. :O And his usmash seems really weakened, but on the plus side it seems as though his thunder has infinite vertical reach again and is a LOT less laggy than in melee. It also hits them straight up, a few times i was able to get a kill by getting them directly above me and spamming thunder.
Why would they make pikachu worse?

Also, did you get to play the new version?

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
How about range?
EDit- Gimpyfish said Pika had a really good Dthrow chain grab in brawl. Maybe Pika will be the new sheik? lol

Vaseline

Smash Cadet
Pikachu being nerfed? That doesn't seem fair. His USmash was one thing that made him still playable and not suck as much as let's say Kirby. If Pika became the new Shiek, then what sweet revenge that would be to chaingrab the hell out of her. Either way I can't wait to see Pika's new arsenal of moves.

festizzio

Smash Champion
I never tried chaingrabbing with dthrow, I'll try it today for sure. I haven't played enough to know about range except there's a severe lack of it when fighting metaknight.

PsychopathicEmus

Smash Journeyman
who in their right mind would nerf pikachu?! if anything, pikachu needs to be buffed! taking away his uair spike and strongest upsmash in the game is like taking fox's shine away! except pikachu doesnt have as many advantages to begin with....this improved thunder thing better be really freakin' good....
though i might just stay with melee...even when brawl come out...i'm really hoping melee retains its popularity after brawl..(excuse the digression from pikachu =p)

N64

Smash Champion
I'm sure other aspects of him have been tweaked, and all other characters are getting tweaked as well. Though this probably means I won't be playing pika in brawl (didn't think I really would anyhow), I'm not going to make many assumptions about the game until I play it myself.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
I'm sure other aspects of him have been tweaked, and all other characters are getting tweaked as well. Though this probably means I won't be playing pika in brawl (didn't think I really would anyhow), I'm not going to make many assumptions about the game until I play it myself.
And what do you do before the release? The best you CAN do is to make assumptions. Using festizzio's description we can assume pikachu got nerfed in some aspects. Of course, Brawlchu may be(and probably will be) be COMPLETELY different then Meleechu by far.

Festizzo, if you get the chance; can you answer some of these questions?

What is Usmash's base %?
General range of moves? (do you think it is upped?)
Is there ANY spikes?( if you have the time)

Or a video, if possible.
Sorry if I'm asking a lot, but I'm too curious.

Nigachu

Smash Apprentice
We can only hope that they don't make him any worse than what they have according to Festizzo.
I mean come on! NO uair tail spike or really strong upsmash? I can't really picture Pikachu without those.
They better make his quick attack move twice as far or make his grab range larger IMO.

festizzio

Smash Champion
Well let's see, it seems they took away a lot of power from some characters' moves like peach's dsmash and Pikachu's usmash, but they made up for it. For instance Pikachu's fair is actually good now and has decent knockback, I killed a Fox on the top right of the stage with pikachu's dsmash at like 90%. His dsmash does around 25% altogether I think, at least 20%. His fsmash has more range, he seems to have more grab range, he CAN chaingrab some characters with his dthrow, uthrow actually sends them really far, at 0% I sent them so far with the uthrow that I literally couldn't even double jump uair them. I think overall they made him better, his usmash is still really strong, maybe the strongest in the demo, I'm not sure. His dair has a lot of priority and sometimes crazy range (coughn64cough); his bair has hardly any knockback, but it always hits multiple times, you can even jump into them if they're above you and hit them 6-7 times, or more.

festizzio

Smash Champion
(Sorry for the double post, but edit post keeps freezing up on me and it won't let me edit)

To answer pikachun's questions:

What is Usmash's base %?

I think it's somewhere around 15 - 20%, not sure though I'll check tomorrow.

General range of moves? (do you think it is upped?)

Range is definitely upped, hitting people above you with fair is awesome, uair still has really good priority and range, and his fsmash has even MORE range than in melee. Thunder I think has infinite vertical range again (not really sure how to test this so I don't really know).

Is there ANY spikes?( if you have the time)

I think Pikachu's uair might still spike, they just adjusted the hitbox/made it harder to do. Reason I say this is today I was hitting someone with uair and instead of going straight up, they went almost directly to the left (they were on a platform above me). This might take practice getting used to.

Also, it's even easier to sweet spot the edge with quick attack than it was in melee. (Crazy, right?)

Top Bottom