• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow@ previous convo. no wonder kaylo left LOL

lucy!JOE!

Smash Cadet
T.T maan ****!!!!! am having the hardest time getting a kill
i rank damage up quick with pikachu but i can never finsh the job....i notcied my Upsmash is to predictable so is my Fsmash( but i dont use this often) and its like my OOS Nair never gtes a kill cuz it makes me to predictable T.T

my top ways of getting a kill:

1. UpTilt>THUNDER!
2..Upsmash on ledge<-- it gets them often
3....nair with luck
4.................QAC to nair...if ammm reallly lucky
5........yea ok FTilt upwards dont work with me..i tried..

SO with that read
what is other ways to kill with pikachu?

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Killing with Pika is hard. There's no getting around it. Mediocre power combined with a general lack of safety on shield make it tough to land a KO on a smart opponent.

Thunder, nair, and usmash are most successful for me.
Fsmash, utilt (dead ***), and dair come next.
Occasionally I'll get a gimp, but I don't go off-stage nearly as much as I should.

I don't kill with up-angled ftilt enough to consider it "successful" for me, but I know others use it for kills.

Bottom line is: don't EVER force the kill...... seriously, it's one of the easiest ways to get punished since most of our KO attacks are severely unsafe on block. Bait and keep your eyes open for moments to punish..... it's much better to keep getting safe hits than it is to get reckless.

Other tips:
- Make sure your KO moves are fresh if at all possible. If you get a grab, pummel. Use tjolts. These things will unstale your other moves.
- Bthrow people off-stage/towards the ledge. They'll die earlier horizontally and (generally) feel more pressured the closer they are to getting boxed in/trapped at the ledge.
- Get people in the air. Besides punishing ledge options, punishing landings is one of the most common ways of getting kills.

EDIT: Okay, I can't help it...... I recommend playing around with dash attack against opponents near the edge. It's one of Pika's worst moves, but at the ledge, it knocks people at an awkward downward angle off the stage, which forces many characters to jump + airdodge/aerial back onto the stage (leaving them open for fsmash) or take the ledge. Either way, you're putting yourself in a beneficial position.

Eventually they'll learn to DI it properly, and it's extremely punishable if you miss or get shielded (although you can cancel it through their shield on the ledge), but it works as a once-in-a-blue-moon tactic. I like using it vs. Snake in particular. =X

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Hello again Lucy. :)
Pikachu has 4 main killing moves- u-smash, f-smash, nair, and Thunder.
When your opponent is at killing %'s, try not to see red. Follow their pattern and look for openings for any of these 4 moves. Thunder is self-explanatory as far as when to use it. F-smash and u-smash can kill as a punishment for a poor stage recovery or otherwise bad landing lag. Nair can punish a mistimed air dodge, a poorly chosen aerial attack, or as an OoS maneuver.

This is not an uncommon question in the Pika community. The best thing I can tell you is to read your opponent and look for these openings in your opponent's gameplay.

EDIT: @Kaylo!- I've been using dash attack for a long time. And ONLY at the edge. It's such a bad move overall. That makes it all the more satisfying when it forces a recovering opponent yet again back off-stage.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
What do you guys do when you get backed into a corner by Snake?

Obviously I shouldn't let it happen in the first place, but when he does pull off the casual creep-up, in general what's the best thing to do?

Usually I go to the ledge or try to QAC past him -- when I don't get nervous and do something stupid like panic shield or throw out a random aerial. I tend to get really flustered in this situation...... between his tilts and grab/pivot grab, he covers a really wide area around him no matter what you do. :urg:

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
I sheild the first hit of Ftilt and spot dodge the second. Then you can punish.
You can also just Airdodge cross over around him after you do that since he's probably expecting you to hit him.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I sheild the first hit of Ftilt and spot dodge the second. Then you can punish.
You can also just Airdodge cross over around him after you do that since he's probably expecting you to hit him.
Eh, he's not throwing out ftilts preemptively. Generally the Snake waits to see what I do first since he can pretty much hit me on reaction as soon as I move (which is why I usually go for the safety of the ledge).

9/10, if I shield, I get grabbed, and being dthrown on the ledge is bad news (unless there's a slope for me to fall off > uair). Or he can test the shield by doing part 1 of ftilt only..... he doesn't have to do the second part, and if I spotdodge, he'll just grab me after it's done. @.@ If I airdodge through him, he'll pivot grab.

Thanks for the tip, though. It's just a weird situation where I feel like Snake can wait + punish practically anything.

EDIT: Actually, **** it, self-bumping because I'd really like help with this. (Power abuse, yaaaay.)

Shurely

Smash Cadet
If he is waiting for you, why dont u just wait on him. eventually he will do something. then punish/avoid that.

AllDay

Smash Rookie
using it in my game its so hard i have a hard time killing with it and using it for combos any tips will help thanks

gallax

Smash Hero
Eh, he's not throwing out ftilts preemptively. Generally the Snake waits to see what I do first since he can pretty much hit me on reaction as soon as I move (which is why I usually go for the safety of the ledge).

9/10, if I shield, I get grabbed, and being dthrown on the ledge is bad news (unless there's a slope for me to fall off > uair). Or he can test the shield by doing part 1 of ftilt only..... he doesn't have to do the second part, and if I spotdodge, he'll just grab me after it's done. @.@ If I airdodge through him, he'll pivot grab.

Thanks for the tip, though. It's just a weird situation where I feel like Snake can wait + punish practically anything.

EDIT: Actually, **** it, self-bumping because I'd really like help with this. (Power abuse, yaaaay.)
soudns to me like ur just spacing him bad. u need to be far enough away so only the tip of his jab can connect with you. as long as you master your ground spacing grabbing pika is very difficult unless u force the pika to shield(like after tjolting). spotdodge is great against snake. if you learn the timing its super tough to ftilt a pika. although sometimes if get predicted u will eat a dair or delayed ftilt.

if he is grabbing u when u cross him over then u r being obvious with the crossover. do it when he is pressuring u from behind. also, try to land on the back of snakes head. that way he has to shield or run away to pivot. if he runs away u can react properly.

ALSO, every pika needs to learn to roll behind snake when he hits ur shield with the first part of his ftilt. If it connects you get a free roll behind. From there its simple mind-games. I usually just wait for the snake to spotdodge then grab them. That or watch them roll away/behind you.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
No, if you roll behind Snake prepare for a boot up your a$$. He won't even have to pivot.
Overall, it's an even match-up. But you need to be aggressive. He can camp WAY harder than us.

In regards to mastering Pikas nair, here are the different ways to use it:
1. OoS (out of shield)
2. After a spotdodge
3. Combo finisher
4. Edgeguarding
5. Against returning opponents that are vulnerable to attacks coming from below

Hope this helps.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Yeah, I know better than to roll behind Snake, lol. That's just asking to be ftilted again or utilted.

@E: I wouldn't say be aggressive..... just because you can't outcamp him doesn't mean you have to go aggro. Gotta know when to put on the pressure and when to back off.

I don't think anybody's really gotten what I'm asking, but thanks for the help anyway, guys.

PZ

Smash Lord
No, if you roll behind Snake prepare for a boot up your a$$. He won't even have to pivot.
Overall, it's an even match-up. But you need to be aggressive. He can camp WAY harder than us.

In regards to mastering Pikas nair, here are the different ways to use it:
1. OoS (out of shield)
2. After a spotdodge
3. Combo finisher
4. Edgeguarding
5. Against returning opponents that are vulnerable to attacks coming from below

Hope this helps.
WRONG! Play as pichu in melee you will learn the many uses of nair im sure lulz

gallax

Smash Hero
haha. ok guys. snake has cooldown lag from his ftilt. as long as u can pshield or even shield it then immediately roll behind him u r safe. trust me. i know snake better than you guys.

do not roll behind snake when he is just standing there though. this is an obvious statement.

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
I haven't tested it, but that just sounds wrong, Gallax. His ftilt isn't that laggy. I'm sure he can easily just turn around and ftilt/utilt/grab.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
What Prime said. If Snake spaces ftilt 1 on your shield and you roll behind him, he can reverse ftilt, utilt, or reverse grab/pivot grab.

Pika's roll is meh in terms of length, so you're pretty much rolling right into him if he's spacing his first ftilt correctly.

ElNoNombreHombre

Smash Journeyman
I severely doubt it. Otherwise, Imma start using that move a heck of a lot more.

Every jab and pummel does, though, IIRC.

HowdoIplaylol

Smash Rookie
Practice.
But I don't think the QAC skill can be maxed, only balanced, and even that changes often.

Hey people. Every hit of bair refreshes moves, right?
Yeah I practice quite a bit only problem is i play the same people lol and wifi happens to suck ;/

Top Bottom