• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pika Q&A/FAQ Thread: Ask a Quick Question, Get a Quick Answer!

Pikabunz

Smash Hero
NNID
Pikabunz
3DS FC
1134-8730-8374
BLech I've described it so manyt imes

SUMMARY TIME

Pika can't really get edgeguarded (maybe a few %, but that is it)
Sorta true.
Pika has CG into fleedle deedle (d-throw uair footstool)
Too stage dependent, percent dependent, and difficult. Even if you do pull this off, you might not do much out of it.
Approaching is RPS for both players with our dair, grab, t-jolt, and fair compared to his f-tilt, d-tilt, and fair.
MK has more options than that and they're better than Pika's approaches.
Pika kills earlier
MK kills easier.
We can't mess with MKs recovery too much (maybe a T-jolt or a single thunder bolt)
Blue text.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I meant % wise, not ease of killing. Since his kill moves are easier to land, but we die later, it is about the same in killing.

For approaching with MK, those are his viable options (I forgot grab). Why would he be doing anything else but those?

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
I apparently like to run into dairs...

But if I'm not playing stupid, go under them. If they dair close enough for you to uair, do that. If they don't, wait for them to run out of jumps. If they are going to predictably tornado (or they are near the edge) dash pivot thunder. If they go for your shield, shield it and then nair (near the end of tornado...it is apparently possible, I need to practice it). If it is at the beginning, just T-jolt from far. We have the projectile.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Agreed. I always get impatient in high profile matches though when they do that because I feel if I don't approach then and there time is just gonna run out...

Stealth Raptor

Smash Legend
ever since my hiatus and my out the closet gayness playstyle, ive learned to be as patient as possible (have to with the even gayer MJG who i have to face a lot ._.) havent really fought dair camping of a high level mk yet so i dunno, most mks around here learned to stop dair camping pretty fast

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Lol I'm sorry for MJG...that guy must camp every single match forever. TL is a super even match as Pika, one of the most even in the game I think.

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Also, what do you do when MK doesn't approach and just dair camps?
Uair and Nair are good to punish that imo...

I mean I'm used to do it with some success.

To return to that presumed even MU, I'ld say that's the case only when the MK don't stay close to Pika, playin' with F or D tilts / Tornado-UpB (when Pika try to escape tilts' agression by jumping or FH+jolt). It puts a lot of pressure if it's well done.

I try to play both characters (MK as secondary) and I gotta say that I feel like I can't be touch against Pikas when I play MK like I explain above.

In that case, Pika have escape or get away to win the distance, but top MKs are good to shark, follow up, punish this.

In return, Pika got a lot of weapons like ESAM said earlier, BUT dat MU isn't even imo, but very close too.

PS : real players, tell me what you think

Roller

Smash Legend
I actually agree with ESAM on a mu for once. MK is only very slightly in MK's favor imo. And he doesn't have the auto win cp vs us like he does vs almost every other character, so long as we ban Brinstar.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
The only way MK kills easier is if he gets an up B kill off the side. Otherwise he struggles to kill pika.

Also metaknight cant approach pika that easily if youre paying attention, and nado isnt that great against pika. If metaknight has an advantage, its because he can camp better with a lead and maybe juggle better.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
MK can kill with Nair (stronger than ours) and dsmash (granted could be stale).

But Pika does get better kill setups as MK has one of the worse aerial moments.. Making it harder for him to avoid thunder.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
I dont think MKs nair is stronger than ours, it just does more damage if both parts hit.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
and nado isnt that great against pika.
I don't think nado is as good against Pika as it is against some other characters, but it's definitely still trouble for us imo. If the MK isn't ******** and landing where you can easily punish him, we can only shield one before we'll get poked.

Nado's just a good move, period, when it's used well. Pika's no exception to that.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
It is stronger.
Even though I said stronger I meant better at killing.

I don't think nado is as good against Pika as it is against some other characters, but it's definitely still trouble for us imo. If the MK isn't ******** and landing where you can easily punish him, we can only shield one before we'll get poked.

Nado's just a good move, period, when it's used well. Pika's no exception to that.
Tornado is a good move, but personally I've never found tornado to be an issue if youre not in the air too much. Sometimes that cant be avoided. But if they hit your shield while youre on the ground you should have at least a 50% success rate of punishment with decent practice. Also if you are hit by tornado and pop out, you can punish them with an nair if they try to catch you again, or a dair at the end. That maybe happens 25% of the time (more often on the ground, less often in the air), but overall tornado becomes a pretty risky move for metaknight to use unless they expect it to hit and tends to be more effective when used less often.

The biggest problem I have in this MU are very basic issues, landing and recovering from offstage. I think it can be taken for granted as a pikachu player that we can just auto-recover/land for free, but against the best players they dont gaf who youre using and find ways to punish even the most mobile characters in traditionally bad situations unless you put real difficult effort into making it back safely and unpredictably.

bigman40

Smash Master
Nado is meant for landing punishment. Just because some MKs use it while Pika is grounded doesn't mean it's not quite effective against Pika.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Hello everyone, this isnt a pikachu related question but i love everyone on the pika boards so i thought i would ask it here seeing as how all of my questions get answered the fastest here and better than anywhere else.

W
ell my little sister (she is 8) is wanting to start playing brawl. She has been playing ZSS for a few months (she doesnt play often though, but she is going to start) but the only thing is that she tends to use the -> or <- on the cstick and ZSS -> cstick sucks. So were trying to figure out another main for her. She needs a character that is easy to pick up and you dont have to play fast. She also needs a character that has a really good recovery because when she gets thrown off the ledge she dies about 90% of the time. I say she needs a character that can fly just because it would be better for her. She tends to play on the ground a lot but im going to try to break her from that habit by forceing her to play in the air for a few days or so.

I
m thinking more towards jigglypuff because she can fly, pretty easy to use besides doing WoP and Rest. Pit might be good but he is about adverage when it comes to skill level. Kirby would be good aswell but.. im still feeling strongly about jiggz but i want all of your opinions on who she should main.

Thank you for your time and i look forward to some replys pretty soon ^_^

HotWings

Smash Ace
Jiggz is actually pretty good, people just dont use her. I will let her try G&W because he is actually really good on the ground. Im not sure about MK because he is pretty hard to use for beginners unless they spam nado.

Thank you all for the help and i will talk to her about it soon and see what she thinks.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
kirby. Thats what my sister did. She just loves flying and rock.. Yea rock is her novelty.. But she hates my pikachu cause i thunder her before she can rock :laugh: also the hammer.. Yea kirby is the best bet for her.

HotWings

Smash Ace
Ok well do you suggest she have a main and an alt or just 1 main? Oh and tommorow me and her will tryout pit, jiggz, kirby, G&W, and maybe a few more like MK but im trying my best to pick easy characters for her so maybe just tryout them 4. But i really do appreciate all of y'alls help. Oh and if there is anybody else that wants to share there opinion then please feel free to name off w/e character you think would be best because the decision isnt made yet.

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
in the end.... its her choice unless she plans to actually go to tournaments then have her main a good character... if its pure casual, let her use everyone she likes, just give her tips and tricks for each one she likes.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
Our F-smash is stronger than everything MK has.

U-tilt/U-smash thunder will be killing earlier than everything MK has aside from up-b predictions.

BTW, won a tournament today, lost 1st set of GF to Seibrik, but won the 2nd 3-2.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
GL with Gluttony. Jab edgeguards when he jumps off bike to quick grab edge. It is amazing, trust me.

For marth, you have to hit him when he is off level. Learn the get-up animations and punish them with F-smash/d-tilt or T-jolt. T-jolt when he is grabbing the ledge makes him do SOMETHING, and if you don't space if poorly he can't hit you. He will probably try to do a normal ledge option, but you can hit any of them since you are in the air now.

Zodiark

Smash Apprentice
Didn't know this trick against Wario, thx. I already know how to play against Marth since I play very often with a Marth player. I'm just afraid of Diddys, Lucario and Olimars...it looks like i'll have to go D3 if I have to play one of these one. (At least I'll learn the grab break thing that Kprime discovered if I'll have to play an olimar player and try to beat him)

AtneyB

Smash Journeyman
Good game ESAM.Then Atney, this is our turn to win the BI lets **** glutony and leon.lol
T'as oublié Bjay aussi ;)

Thx for the advices ESAM. I've played with Leon yesterday, and I began to see why U think that MU is 50:50, even if I still don't totally agree.

But yeah, the key is to be effective in the off level game.

[FBC] ESAM

Smash Legend
You are TL, your character is EXTREMELY sub par without it. If you weren't good at camping you wouldn't be good.

Top Bottom