• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking your main

Paix

Smash Apprentice
I've been playing Brawl for a while now, but seem to change my main frequently. I'm never happy :p. So, I've decided that, for now, I'll just pick the most enjoyable character (for me) and play with it. One problem: I can't seem to do that. My question is, how'd you all pick your main characters? :)

Characters I've considered:
Mario
Yoshi
Mr G&W
MK
Wario
Pit

*Sigh*, it's too hard :)

Holty

Smash Apprentice
From the six characters you mentioned, there seems to be a variety of low/mid/high tier characters. I assume you're always wanting to play well and therefore select a high tier character. Though, you want to be unique and not use the ubiquitously used MK and Snake etc?

There's no problem with using some characters as secondaries. Infact, it's advantageous for some match ups (against certain characters and certain stages etc).

Just select your most enjoyable character as your main and maybe consider secondaries? Oh, and remember that low tier characters can be played equally as well as higher tier characters (Boss' Mario would be an awesome example).

Good luck! :)

Mecakoto

Smash Journeyman
My main goes back to my childhood. I'm a Luigi fan from now until my death. =p

If I don't play my main, I just play whoever feels right for the situation.

tankzortz

Smash Apprentice
you pick either most likely the chracter that floats your boat or you enjoy playing him or that chracter is that good.

Pikachugirl

Banned via Administration
When I first started playing Smash, I picked my main (Kirby) because I thought he was awesome and he seemed to fit my playstyle. I ended up dropping him in Melee because he's just terrible, dropped him in Brawl because I can't stand characters that floaty, and dropped him in SSB64 because there was no reason to main him anymore. So then I tried picking my main by who I do best with (Pikachu, later Pichu in Melee), and I became as close to good as I can get quickly, but I hate Pikachu, which takes the fun out of the game. Lol, that's probably why I like Melee so much more than Brawl. Pichu is a ton of fun for me to play as in Melee, and he seems to be the only main that actually worked for me, so go with the most fun character.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I would stick to a top/high tier character to master fully before you experiment with lower tier characters to secondary so that you have the superior character to fall back to if the going gets rough.

Then again, that only ever applies if you play in a competitive scene. If you don't, play whoever you feel like playing. Maining a character is totally irrelevant if you're not interested in tournament play.

Commander_Beef

Smash Champion
If you have a playstyle during your matches or you've figured out how you play, you should choose your main based on that playstyle. But of course literally, Meta Knight is the best character to main, he's the best secondary for any character, but it's best for some people to not follow this.

Reapereater

Smash Cadet
From what you are considering...You probably like to play medium speed/ fast characters.

Yeah I like those kind of characters too so I ended up maining Lucario and Luigi. I choose my characters in a weird way... I choose based on my initials T.H.L. I ended up realizing I pklay with characters that sart with my initials like Lucario, Luigi, Link, and Toon link. Tho some aren't very fast I learn how to make them faster. Any character is good as long as you put the time into perfecting their skills.

sammy p

Smash Lord
ummm... there have been a few of these floating around. i think i saw one a few weeks ago(maybe it was months, who knows :p)
im a pit main! his recovery is amazing(i need it since im ALWAYS flying off :laugh:), somewhat fast, and his swords... are amazing as wel! :laugh:
im also a luigi main(because im biased)

but it depends what you ARE looking for!
if it is recovery, youll find no one better than pit or MK.
if you are loking for power, wario would be your best bet out of the people you are considering.
if you want a normal, all around character, obviously mario would be your pick.
if you want someone who can excel at everything, no doubt youll pick MK! :)

Nibbles 2

Smash Apprentice
Play around with different characters until you find one you really enjoy playing as. Experiment around.

If you want to main someone from a specific tier category (say, you want a high-tier main for tourneys), then try out the different characters in that group, but don't force yourself to main them if you don't like them. I tried to main Snake, because I figured I needed a high-tier main, but I didn't enjoy playing with him at all, so I dropped him for Sonic, who I love.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
ummm... there have been a few of these floating around. i think i saw one a few weeks ago(maybe it was months, who knows :p)
im a pit main! his recovery is amazing(i need it since im ALWAYS flying off :laugh:), somewhat fast, and his swords... are amazing as wel! :laugh:
im also a luigi main(because im biased)

but it depends what you ARE looking for!
if it is recovery, youll find no one better than pit or MK.
if you are loking for power, wario would be your best bet out of the people you are considering.
if you want a normal, all around character, obviously mario would be your pick.
if you want someone who can excel at everything, no doubt youll pick MK! :)
This is poorly conceived.

Wario has one of the best recoveries in the game, and if you're playing him for his power, you're probably not air dodging enough lol.

Mario is low tier. And not an all around character, since he's largely aerially based. I think Kirby or Marth show the most balanced overall play styles. Or Pit from that list.

Excelling at "everything" sounds more like Snake, since he can do everything plus camp like a *****. Or Pit, again, since I don't know if you're considering characters outside of that list.

xOPTIMUSxChadx

Smash Cadet
To be honest I just played all the characters until I found one I liked and moved well with. I picked Captain Falcon. I like fast moving characters. Captain Falcon isn't the popular choice but for me he was always the right one. After years of brawling and playing with my best friend I got to learn all about inside and out.

sammy p

Smash Lord
This is poorly conceived.

Wario has one of the best recoveries in the game, and if you're playing him for his power, you're probably not air dodging enough lol.

Mario is low tier. And not an all around character, since he's largely aerially based. I think Kirby or Marth show the most balanced overall play styles. Or Pit from that list.

Excelling at "everything" sounds more like Snake, since he can do everything plus camp like a *****. Or Pit, again, since I don't know if you're considering characters outside of that list.
well, i was just giving him his options from his list. i was trying not to go outside of it since he enjoys playing those specific characters.so this is why i never said anything about snake or marth or kirby :)
but i DO agree with your point about mario now that you mention it.
but do you think anyone from HIS list is more powerful than wario?? :confused: (i guess i dont plaay with him TOO often but he would seem like from his group of preferred players :embarrass.... please correct me if i am wrong)

Plummn

Smash Cadet
I have played brawl since the exact hour it came out, so as you would think, I would have a lot of time to figure mine out. It took me many long hours to finally find my best character. It started out with whichever one looked the best. But first I tried falco(my best melee character) but then I noticed his down-grade from melee so I then tried Meta Knight. At the time, I was still a rookie at brawl, so I couldn't yet handle a character like Meta Knight, so I went and tried every single character. I ended up with wolf or snake. I choose snake over wolf because of his ability to manipulate his surroundings. But then(after weeks) I got tired with him and tried ROB. ROB is still one of my best, but then I found my way back to meta knight as my best character. I mainly play as King Dedede for his amazing turn outs in multiplay matches, but meta knight is still my best.

Also, if you want to bring tiers into it, I didn't know tier lists or any thing about tiers until about a few weeks ago while I've been playing as meta knight for months.

pitskeyblade

Smash Lord
Makin movies makin songs & FIGHTIN ROUND THE W
Choosing your main depends on what you're looking for in a character. When I played the original Super Smash Brothers, I mained as Pikachu. I continued using Pikachu throughout Melee, but me and my friend duked it out to see who was better off using Pikachu, and he won so I switched to Pit and now I will useno one else but Pit. Your choice of a main also depends on how much work you want to put into getting good with. Some characters such as Meta Knight are easier to get really good with quickly.

Smash322

Smash Rookie
well, i would pick by which character i woud like and i wont care what there tier is. for me, i picked yoshi because he is my favorite character of all.

Aibou

Smash Master
In Melee, I got into Roy the moment I unlocked him. I was 14 at that time, and didn't know much about the game. But I thought Roy was awesome, so I decided to make him my main. Ganondorf was the same. I mained the two until Brawl.

That's when I met Zelda...

I didn't really pay Zelda much attention in Melee, but in Brawl, I just clicked with her after using her once. Out of all the characters, Zelda ended up being the most comfortable for me. And with Roy gone, and Ganondorf changed so much that I don't know how to use him anymore, Zelda became my new highlight.

Oh, and I mained Kirby in SSB64 for lulz. :laugh:

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Unless you go to tournaments dont worry about the tier list. Just pick who you feel fits your playstyle, and theres no shame in maining more than 1 character :)

SharkAttack

Smash Lord
For me it's all about the character I have the most potential to grow with. That character for me is Yoshi because I feel I can utilize every single move he has into something good/purposeful depending on the situation in a Brawl match. I've gotten better with him over the past few months and still have ways to go to improve.

I know your problem though because I went through it for a whole year. I began as Peach because she was my Melee main but I hated her nerfs so bad. I then went to Diddy for 2 months, then Yoshi in the summer of 2008, Luigi in the fall of 2008, Bowser in December 2008 and then went back to Yoshi in February 2009 and stuck with him.

Just keep playing and you'll find that character. Don't worry about tiers and stuff like that. Just focus on the character you feel the most comfortable with and have the most potential to grow with.

Plummn

Smash Cadet
i main diddy and link but i right now can not figure out my 3rd and last main =/ anyone want to help? =P
Here are some really good characters for each of these types. I hope it helps!

Heavy Character: King Dedede(Faster than most large, heavy, and powerful characters. Can pull of moves faster and has many mid-air attacks that work very well)

Medium Character: ROB(Great recovery, great long range attacks, and a lot more. The best way to take use of him is by using his mid-air moves which hit really hard)

Light Character: Meta Knight(Fast, powerful and affective moves. He is my main, and I am going to have a hard time finding a better character at the moment due to me playing them all)

Moozle

Smash Champion
Watch combo vids and say "wtf i want to do that." CV's inspired me to try all kind of characters I never would have tried(coughpeachcough) who i ended up being good with. Give everyone a shot :)

JagaTranvo

Smash Rookie
I personally like speed then power(cept for snake <3) some one speedy like fox or sheik are fun people to play as, although the tier list effects my decision, I never like to play people such as wario,kirby,pikachu and marth.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I've used Ness since SSB64, and I played the original Earthbound as a kid. Ness is a fun character too...I'm a big fan of "floaty" characters and his jumping style is very fun to play around with.

In all honesty though, just mess around with some characters, you'll find the one you like after trial and error. Or watch some amazing players and their mains. Maybe you'll like that.

Oshtoby

Smash Apprentice
Burholme, Philadelphia, PA, USA, North America, Ea
I main with several characters. If I had to choose ONE it would be difficult, because I equally love playing as Sonic and Toon Link. I have several secondaries, but those are my two mains. Why did I choose them?

Sonic: I have loved Sonic games as a kid, and this is awesome. Not only that, he's so fast, that he hits you so many times, it doesn't matter that he's weak. You won't be able to catch him to hit back. I play Brawl+ which is meant for comboing, but Sonic was meant for comboing BEFORE hitstun. This just makes him intensely better.

Toon Link: In Melee, my main was Young Link. This carried over, I guess. Also, his wall of projectiles makes it nearly impossible to get close for characters without projectiles.

BlublacMH

Smash Apprentice
I started off as a Link main, but when I kept losing battles with him I just tried out other characters. I picked Peach as a joke in Melee, but actually ended up winning so I mained her. After I lost to a super good Marth later on, I switched up and tried to main him. Currently I main both (but Marth is my best character)

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
Lol @ Sonic. His playstyle isn't combo, it's hit and run. Emphasis on the run.

I don't really understand this "tier *****" fear that most casuals have. The point of the game (other than having fun) is to win, and tiers only help that. And I find it really amusing that Kirby was in your list of "OP" characters, since he's already the weakest link in high tier. He doesn't have a huge amount of options, just two or three at any given moment in time. To win with Kirby, you generally have to be very good at prediction and mindgaming.

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
I would stick to a top/high tier character to master fully before you experiment with lower tier characters to secondary so that you have the superior character to fall back to if the going gets rough.

Then again, that only ever applies if you play in a competitive scene. If you don't, play whoever you feel like playing. Maining a character is totally irrelevant if you're not interested in tournament play.
I disagree. Pick whoever you want to master as your main. You don't need a "fall back" character, even if you're playing in tournament play. The tier stuff doesn't determine which characters are 'good'--I've seen people with Jigglypuff totally destroy Snake or Meta Knight, and Sonic? Well a skilled player can outsmart all those 'top tiers'

Pick whoever you want. Even if they're hard to master, you'll be a formidable adversary once you have mastered them, and you'll enjoy playing them. The top tiers are just for a player who's 'most safe' in a matchup against any particular character. That in itself in nonsense

Planet Mars

Smash Cadet
Lol @ Sonic. His playstyle isn't combo, it's hit and run. Emphasis on the run.

I don't really understand this "tier *****" fear that most casuals have. The point of the game (other than having fun) is to win, and tiers only help that. And I find it really amusing that Kirby was in your list of "OP" characters, since he's already the weakest link in high tier. He doesn't have a huge amount of options, just two or three at any given moment in time. To win with Kirby, you generally have to be very good at prediction and mindgaming.
So if i played this game to win, i will pick meta knight. If everyone played to win, they would pick meta knight. If everyone was equal skill and wanted to play against someone and win, they would pick meta knight--do you understand how this sounds?

It's like racing cars--1 car may be faster, but the other has better handling, and will pass them on turns.

Tangerine

Smash Rookie
I picked my main, Pikachu, for two reasons. First, I 'm a huge fan of Pokemon, you wouldn't even know. I've beaten all the games and have been a member of like 10 Pokemon forums. Also, I seem to have a bad habit of falling off the stage, even with the heaviest of characters. For this reason, I prefer characters with very good recovery skills. Pikachu's is very good, and he's a Pokemon, which is awesome.

Mike B

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8237-0519
Jiggly and Peach are both floaty.. Ive considered Deedee and Kirby, which are also floaty...

IDK, it takes the stress out of the game for me when I have more aerial control.

KingSlimeKnight

Smash Apprentice
So if i played this game to win, i will pick meta knight. If everyone played to win, they would pick meta knight. If everyone was equal skill and wanted to play against someone and win, they would pick meta knight--do you understand how this sounds?

It's like racing cars--1 car may be faster, but the other has better handling, and will pass them on turns.
This is why I don't understand Nascar fans.

If everyone played to win, I'll go with Captain Falcon.

14fanofanime

Smash Rookie
I was the same. My favorite part of Brawl was that I could be different characters, but that made me mad that I wasn't specializing in anybody. So, I started with Pit. I liked him. Now I hate him. He's too cheap and his B attacks all suck. Somewhere, I tried Zelda/Sheik. She is now my main. Reason being - you can change into 2 separate characters with different attacks. This ties together the different usage of characters with the one main that you use. So I would suggest Zelda/Sheik, Samus/Zamus, Pokemon Trainer, anybody who can transform. This will keep you with one character but also give you a variety of strategies.

Morleh

Smash Rookie
I picked my main quite randomly. I never played a Game and Watch game before I mained Game and Watch, and I never knew about him before Melee. I just picked him up, and he's real fun to use. I mained Ness and Lucas before, as I really liked the Mother series, but I just moved to Mr. Game & Watch one day. I don't remember why / when, though.

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
I disagree. Pick whoever you want to master as your main. You don't need a "fall back" character, even if you're playing in tournament play. The tier stuff doesn't determine which characters are 'good'--I've seen people with Jigglypuff totally destroy Snake or Meta Knight, and Sonic? Well a skilled player can outsmart all those 'top tiers'

Pick whoever you want. Even if they're hard to master, you'll be a formidable adversary once you have mastered them, and you'll enjoy playing them. The top tiers are just for a player who's 'most safe' in a matchup against any particular character. That in itself in nonsense
Matchup percentages exist for a reason. At equivalent, and top level of play/skill, for instance, the Jigglypuff/Snake matchup is probably between 30:70 and 40:60. That means that under the assumption that both players have absolute knowledge of the matchup and their character, the Jigglypuff could be expected to win between 30 to 40 matches out of 100.

A skilled player can outsmart those "top tiers" all day long, but what happens if a smart player plays another smart player who plays a top tier...

You're dreadfully naive, because this is what is ALREADY happening to this game. It's an inherent flaw in Brawl that characters absurdly over the power curve like MK and Snake exist. Just because it sucks doesn't make it not true. Count how many MK's and Snakes, either mains or secondaries exist in each state's Power Rankings, it will make your head spin.

I main Kirby, because he's really fun, I've done all of my research, I have an absurd amount of data that I've accumulated to master his game, and he meshes very well with my playstyle. Unfortunately, he has 40:60 matchups against MK and Snake. And the bad type of 40:60 where it is entirely dependent on ME to make it that good, I have to play perfectly otherwise I'm just going to get *****. Thus, I picked up Wario, because he's relatively easy to learn, and has neutral/positive matchups on both of those characters.

Top Bottom