• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Picking up Shiek.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I've hit a Plateu with Falco/Fox. Specifically I just lose to Marth, Falcon, and Peach all the time.

So what sort of stuff do I need to know besides basics?

I know how to play vs spacies.

I have a decent level of knowledge vs Marth.

I do need help vs Peach though.

Also; for some reason it's extremely hard for me to FF her aerials. They have an awkward timing.

Also; I just learned Needle Cancelling lol. I tried her in the past and for some reason Needle Cancelling was hard. I decided today, by suggestion from Forward to try her out and I did okay. I think I know what I need to do to do good with her but I need random advice.

Speaking of random; I want random bits and pieces of knowledge. The more obscure, the better. Anything that may or may not give me an edge over the other many, many Shiek players who are about my level, and a little better.

PillowPants

Smash Apprentice
Sheik..... pwns.....hard....., but srsly, Dsmash ***** rollers/spot doggers, she can needle camp if she has to. Fair *****, Uair *****, hell the only move in her whole moveset, thats bad is down b(and maybe the chain, and up ) ShE HaZ tEh ChAiN gRaB! but he recovery is kinda bad, and she gets comboed liek crazy, but still...

pockyD

Smash Legend
her down-b, side-b, and fsmash are probably in the top 3 of the worst in those types of moves

not like that's really relevant to playing her, but she DOES have moves that are bad :)

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
I'm a Zelda secondary, so I must argue that Sheik's down+B is made of loads, and loads of win.

My goal is to be able to play both at a decent level. It sets up for some epic mindgames, such as starting the first stock as Zelda, and switching to Shiek mid-fight, or starting as Shiek and switching to Zelda mid-fight.

I need info, such as WTF to do vs Peach. It's extremely hard to approach Peach. Peach has range, and priority, and turnips. I have loads of troubles finding ways to reliably pressure her, and keep it up. I find myself being cornered constantly, too. It feels that as the game drags on, I have less and less options available to me, or aren't readily noticable, as the peach player managed to drag the game on long enough to catch on to my play style.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
Make Peach downsmash, and avoid it by dashdancing. Dashdancing is different with Sheik though, it's very short so you should release the control stick after dashing one way to make it more effective. Dashdance + JCgrab or spamming some aerials should work against Peach, but if they aren't downsmash spammers I don't know

rhan

Smash Hero
Needles, Tilts, and Chaingrabs.

Learn those and you will master Sheik.

Rubyiris

Smash Hero
Rather than the obligatory "use liek 3 moves and win lol" posts, can I please get some serious feed back? =\

since it's obvious most of you can't read, I've already said that I know MOST basic things about Shiek. It's her more advanced game I know nothing about. =\

pockyD

Smash Legend
sheik plays best when you keep it simple

knowing your spacings and timings is far more important than anything else

soap

Smash Hero
Make Peach downsmash, and avoid it by dashdancing. Dashdancing is different with Sheik though, it's very short so you should release the control stick after dashing one way to make it more effective. Dashdance + JCgrab or spamming some aerials should work against Peach, but if they aren't downsmash spammers I don't know
sheik plays best when you keep it simple

knowing your spacings and timings is far more important than anything else
I'd go with these two suggestions.

Keep it simple, space, and look to grab alot.

i've made a ton of threads on obscure little timings and useful tidbits if that is what you are looking for. Search my threads created

Egoclapper

Smash Apprentice
Know and abuse her autocancel aerials.

Fox trot.

Stay on the ground.

Keep it simple...

... But know how to abuse platforms to your advantage.

That's how you play Sheik.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
You're going to have to get comfortable going for long, long tech chases and killing space animals purely off reaction time.

Get really, really comfortable with needles.

rhan

Smash Hero
Rather than the obligatory "use liek 3 moves and win lol" posts, can I please get some serious feed back? =\

since it's obvious most of you can't read, I've already said that I know MOST basic things about Shiek. It's her more advanced game I know nothing about. =\
I was being serious.

You don't need an advance game with Sheik. Just Needles, Chaingrabs, and Tilts.

elvenarrow3000

Smash Master
Well. You do need an advanced game with Sheik, it's just... she has a larger core game... if that makes sense.

Binx

Smash Master
Retreating full hop double fairs vs taller characters, the first one can hit them or their shield the second one covers you pretty well.

obviously needle tricks and using turn around needles into aerials. Proper sheik tech chasing. A lot of people like to dsmash when they expect a spot dodge I just like to shield and regrab, unless dsmash forces an edgeguard.

Remember you have to do rising aerials to gimp below the stage most times or you'll kill yourself.

Get used to her dash dance and wavedash lengths. Learn when her dash attack is punishable, and make sure not to use it predictably, if they know its coming at most percents a DI away from you will stop all combos from it.

VS Marth you want to bait bad fairs and punish and edgeguard smart.

VS Peach you want to predict her jumps, if there are 3 platforms you should be able to stay above her and needle her and choose your spots to challenge her aerials. if you predict her aerials you can either wavedash back and punish the ground option she chooses after aerialing, but not the aerial itself, jabs can be beaten by grabbing, same with any other move, if she jumps your spacing should be ripe for a reverse needle bair or a fair. Just wear her down over time and keep her off the stage. If you can catch turnips from further distances you can control her approach options by throwing it different ways I like to run around and needle then drop it or throw it up unexpectedly to create situations to punish.

VS Falcon its all about the tech chase and the edgeguarding, Get him off the stage, I don't fight a lot of Falcons but the general advice is to DI away unless you expect a knee, some good falcons will slip knees in at low percents though and pressure you at the edge where most people are the most predictable. So be careful.

soap

Smash Hero
Remember you have to do rising aerials to gimp below the stage most times or you'll kill yourself.
this is sorta true. But she can run off fastfall a fair and still make it back. As well as other variations of falling aerials without fastfalls

Binx

Smash Master
You can gimp with falling aerials you just have to do them right.
I know, I do it vs falco constantly its too good, I just meant when you have to go low, I know its not hard to figure out for yourself but I decided I'd throw it out there incase anyone needed it. Since I was going over basics anyways.

@ Soap you can fast fall a fair off the ledge and live? hmm, I can't think of a time I'd wanna do that anyways...

On a side note what are some good ways to gimp Marth, I used to do pretty much anything for easy kills but they are spacing a lot better now that they are learning the match up and I have to really work for stuff. When time allows I use the lightshield edgehog, but when I don't have time to set anything up and needles can't go the angles I need I often can't keep him off, it might just be at the spacings all I can do is wait for him on the ledge but....

Top Bottom