• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Physical limits to technical skills..

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Even though I retired some time ago, I still train every now and then and recently I was thinking about improving my technical skills, so I tried to move at higher speeds with my Fox. The result is my hands are now asking for mercy (seriously, it's one of the first time my hands actually hurt for playing smash). A great limit in my gameplay is my inability to move my character at its max speed, while I'd actually be able to still follow what's going on (let's say my reflexes are good but my hands not as much..). Up until now, it seemed to me like acquiring new tech skills was just a matter of proper training, but this problem is really starting to tick me off. Did you ever happen to have my same problem? How did you solve it? Could it depend on how you hold your controller/perform some moves?

The Phenom

Smash Lord
Acquiring new tech skill levels, hmmm. So the problem is that you can't because of your hands.

When I stopped smashing for a month I noticed how my hands weren't no longer ambient as once before when I did decide to play again.

It's just that constant practice in one aspect which allows our hands to be adept. If you don't play constant your tech skill prolongs if desired to increase since in mind it is forgotten over time.

-common reason why you can't be more technical

watch TimerBombs Fox on videography>music video hes not as technical as SilentWolf but he has a lot of potential.
---------
CLASS OF 2009!!!

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
You believe it mostly is a matter of how often you smash on the long run, huh? Now that you mention it.. this problem only started after I stopped playing.. interesting hint you've got.. thank you ^^ I'll also check out the videos you spoke of..

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Acquiring new tech skill levels, hmmm. So the problem is that you can't because of your hands.

When I stopped smashing for a month I noticed how my hands weren't no longer ambient as once before when I did decide to play again.

It's just that constant practice in one aspect which allows our hands to be adept. If you don't play constant your tech skill prolongs if desired to increase since in mind it is forgotten over time.

-common reason why you can't be more technical

watch TimerBombs Fox on videography>music video hes not as technical as SilentWolf but he has a lot of potential.
---------
CLASS OF 2009!!!
Does g&w require much tech skill?

Binx

Smash Master
No character *requires* very much technical skill, Fox can be played effectively at a lower technical level than most people choose to believe, but if you want to he has a lot of very flashy and cool things that are semi-difficult for most people to do.

I don't believe that Silent Wolf is special as far as how technical he is, he just practices it better/more than most people, the key to becoming more technical is to have your hands in a condition to where they can move at their max speeds, and just try stuff over and over until you get it, I know if I practiced more I could become a lot more consistent in some technical aspects than I am.

Just like wavedashing was hard the first time you tried it, and took a lot of thought to use correctly at first, or how L canceling was difficult to time in the beginning, more complicated things like multi shines just take more practice, most people are lazy and don't really bother, which is fine for most techniques since shine > wavedash > grab is the MOST complicated thing you will ever HAVE to do to be competitive with Fox, anything more complicated than that is mostly for fun. Being good at the basics is what really separates good and bad players in smash, I mean just look at Mango's puff, he didn't create any awesome new strats, he just used the absolute simplest things the best he could.

Aldwyn McCloud

Smash Ace
Well I DO agree that tech skills aren't a true requirement for being good, but I also think it would be a waste not using them just because my hands aren't good enough while my reflexes are. That'd definitely give Fox a good advantage in the case the opponent doesn't react properly to its stuff. Also, my problem isn't really doing weird/useless stuff but improving the basilar techniques. I.e. I noticed I tend not to fastfall properly and I have problems stopping my dash too using shield/dash cancel. I believe those ARE necessary techniques in order to play a true flashy fox.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
I just try to move my hands as little and as efficently as possible. Lots of lazy thumbing (hitting different buttons with different parts of your thumb to minimize movement) and sliding between the buttons.
My left thumb is way to weak/slow, though. I try to train it through lifting random stuff and such with my thumb when im sitting around in front of the computer or something being lazy lol

TheKneeOfJustice

Smash Lord
Some people have naturally talented and fast hands, but proper training (I mean really redundant training) can go a long way to making your hands as fast and accurate as you want them to be.

Da Shuffla

Smash Lord
So true. Practice makes perfect. I remember back when I used to THINK about my L-cancels, and teching. Now, I don't even have to think about techs unless I am learning something new, or perfecting something old. My opinion? Read Shai Hulud's first post in the "Tech Skill Exercises" thread. That gave me all that I needed.

Jboy313

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Braunz
So true. Practice makes perfect. I remember back when I used to THINK about my L-cancels, and teching. Now, I don't even have to think about techs unless I am learning something new, or perfecting something old. My opinion? Read Shai Hulud's first post in the "Tech Skill Exercises" thread. That gave me all that I needed.
i don't think about teching either..i just automatically do it..sometimes it tech a shine from fox with out even noticing it..and i lot of times i get hit near the edge and i automatically try to tech but i just dodge off the edge instead. i think its because its a habbit of pressing l right when i get hit that i tech even when im not supossed to.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
you forget the way silent wolf holds his controller.

The reality: Grip and Hand size matter.

The efficiency of execution is often more dependent on the way in which it is done rather than the # of times you've done it.

I personally know that i would have more perfect wavedashing to the left if I shifted to a double claw grip...but it's so uncomfortable and i seem to have other problems in adapting to it, so i am uncertain if my hand is the wrong size or if there are special tricks to getting it down.

Regardless, I eventually decided that such tech skill mastery is not necessary.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
knight, after reading the majority of your posts. Man, you over-complicate things alot. lol PC Chris probably knew 40% of what we know about Fox and his random nuances and yet he still *****.

All this talk of tech. skill and holding the controller is pointless. Holding a controller a different way won't affect how good/bad you are in the long run. Nor will it hinder your ability to win if you ever do get really good. Azen beat me with usmash/grab only in a Fox ditto in tournament. tech skill is overrated.

Ryan-K

Smash Master
the best way to hold a controller is whats more comfortable.

are you gonna tell isai how to play because how he presses buttons is "inefficient"?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
lol sig it.

i'm a technical player, and even I'VE realized that its overrated. Watch Isai's Sheik in doubles on youtube, he'll show you.

cykofox

Smash Ace
Masashi seems to do okay without too much tech skill.

Thing to practice better is being defensive while appearing offensive. But with fox one can't resist?

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
Masashi seems to do okay without too much tech skill.

Thing to practice better is being defensive while appearing offensive. But with fox one can't resist?
Defensive Fox is gay. How about being offensive while appearing to be offensive? Its the PC Chris approach.

**** lasers. (only if they super gay camp you X10 though. i.e. Jiggs, Samus, Peach)

Lol. I'm glad I got you to post Aldwyn.

If I need to warm up my hands for something, I put them in hot water for a bit to make them more loose, dry them off, and go from there.
oh mooney, I miss you. :(

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i hear bernard adn think of St. Bernards...those big cuddly dogs....not that i think of you in that way....>___>

_kSo_

Smash Master
don't play smash too much (especially if you main fox) or you will develop carpal tunnel like blackpanther (recently, I've been showing symptoms of mild carpal tunnel as well :()

yea it sucks. Hence why I've switched from being a fox main to a CF main because fox requires far too much maintenance for my hands to deal with.

Binx

Smash Master
I'm pretty sure my carpal tunnel is from more than just playing smash, smash hasn't actually left my hands sore in years. I think its more from typing on non-ergonomic keyboards, and probably also from other video games, guitar, cracking my knuckles like an idiot, and push ups, with some small additions from smash =) but it was worth it!

Miggz

Pancake Sandwiches
As a fellow Fox player, there is only a few technical things that matter, to me anyway. As long as I can do waveshines to grab/upsmash then I'm cool really. I mean sure I use the short hop double lasers for when I take a stock and the fire fox stall on the edge but other then that I think single waveshines are good enough for me. ^^

Top Bottom