• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PhD Program Survey

mslano

Smash Journeyman
I am working on a project in my PhD program and it involves collecting some data on the community we have here. I have created a survey that I would like for you to answer. If you could, please take some time to answer the questions I have. This study will likely inform future studies I would like to do with video games and video gaming, so it is important that you respond as best you can. I will leave the survey open for a couple weeks, so tell other people from SWF to take it once you have finished. Thank you for your help.

http://www.esurveyspro.com/Survey.aspx?id=5dca227f-f03e-4713-9dda-40ed80e4a5d0

The study might seem a little long, and for that I apologize. I hope that you can still find the time to complete it.

(Note to moderators: I know you usually close these sorts of things, but I asked Gideon before I posted and he said it was fine to do so.)

AlphaZealot Edit: I'm stickying this so hopefully more people will fill it out. I think it will be interesting to see how the responses from the people who venture into the tournament discussion room differ from the responses from the melee discussion room (mslano, it would be cool if you both seperate and combine the two results). Since this has to do with Smash and the community this is another temp sticky which will come down in a few days).

coach

Smash Apprentice
Lawls it's hardly anonymous for me, but glad I could help. I really hope more people in the community puts in their 2 cents. If you end up writing a paper for this I'd love to read it.

blaargh198

Smash Apprentice
I took your survey. I agree with coach, it would be interesting to see how the community is made up, and I also would like to see any papers you finish on this.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Filled it out. Some of the questions might be a little more ambiguous than intended, such as "do you play any other fighting games" - does that only include 2d fighters, or any competitive game where you fight another person? I listed both.

Also, the last question asks for "location? (Country and city)" - I put in Country, State, and City.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
So, here is what I'll do either later tonight or tomorrow, pending your agreement.

I'll make this a tournament room sticky (to replace the "message for the tournament community" sticky, if you can give us the results of the survey.

Sounds like a plan?

mslano

Smash Journeyman
So, here is what I'll do either later tonight or tomorrow, pending your agreement.

I'll make this a tournament room sticky (to replace the "message for the tournament community" sticky, if you can give us the results of the survey.

Sounds like a plan?
That would be great. The results will take some time to compile and write up in a paper, but I will make it available. Thanks for your help.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Alight. I'll move this thread and post it up later tonight or tomorrow and I'll leave it up for about a week. If you could reformat your first post to make it more sexy that would be awesome.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Filled it out. Nice survey...
Like the others said, I would be interested to see what the community is like, and what you make out of this.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
I reported the status of my survey in class yesterday evening and everyone was surprised at the response I had gotten (43 people had filled out the survey in the first two days). I should have known I would get such a good response and such positive feedback. Some of the best people I've ever met have been through Smash. Again, thank you for helping me with this.

Sensai

Smash Master
Filling it out right now...

[Edit:]

I'm pretty sure that I finished filling it out. When I hit 'finished' it closed suddenly. Slim, is there anyway you can check to see if I completed it?

mslano

Smash Journeyman
Filling it out right now...

[Edit:]

I'm pretty sure that I finished filling it out. When I hit 'finished' it closed suddenly. Slim, is there anyway you can check to see if I completed it?
There aren't any more incomplete responses since I last checked, so it looks like it went through fine. Thanks for responding (tell everyone you know to fill it out).

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Man, you're 22 and in a PhD program? I probably won't finish my undergrad until I'm 23.

I feel slow.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
Man, you're 22 and in a PhD program? I probably won't finish my undergrad until I'm 23.

I feel slow.
It is a little unusual, I know. I'm much younger than most of the people in the program. It's Learning Sciences, so many of the people come from a teaching background, which means they're around 6-10 years older than I am. Very often, I'll look around one of my classes and think, "I'm such an anomaly right now."

mslano

Smash Journeyman
what is the data being used for?
I started the survey largely for use in a Qualitative Research Methods course I am taking this semester. Part of the class is a final project/paper about a small study we carry out over the course of the semester. I am interested in how the SWF community operates and how it comes together. That will be the focus of this initial paper.

I intend to do more work and studies examining the community we have here because it is a form of learning that is not recognized in many circles. It is my hope that the results of this study will give me some specific direction for these studies. Ideally, through this and future studies, I will attain a more formal understanding of how people learn through a community such as this, rather than the intuitive understanding I have as a member of the community.

Edit: Jack, you know that's impossible.

squaminator

Smash Ace
Mslano, i think that you should add other competative video games into the survey, because i usually log a good amount of SSB64 online each week.

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
I just finished the survey. Good luck on the project!

mslano

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to leave this survey open until the weekend. If you know anyone that has yet to fill out the survey, please ask them to do so. You have all be a tremendous help. The responses look to be very rich with information, so I should have plenty to work with for my paper.

mslano

Smash Journeyman
I've now closed the survey. Now I will begin the arduous task of reading and analyzing all the responses. The paper for my class is due in early December, so I will be able to report the results then. Since it's just one of many final projects I have this semester, it won't be done much earlier than that. I will post it once it is completed.

I would again like to thank everyone who responded to the survey or posted words of encouragement here. I have 117 responses, which is pretty amazing. I am quite pleased to have had such a positive response, so thank you all very much.

Top Bottom