• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Phanna Mint is the best Samus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
No, you can't.
The topics are so subjective, reasons are subjective.
With something like that, it's impossible to determine who's the best.

My location doesn't mean anything.
yes it does, it means you dont play any good people from teh us.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
yes it does, it means you dont play any good people from teh us.
¿And you do?
All I see in this topic is "Jesus Christ is smart, Budha is only flashy".
Human being is incapable to determine that, because all players aren't obviously discovered.

With that said ¿Where's your basis? ¿Who's actually the best?
¿HugS? I could say that, I love his style, he is a pro now, he deserves the title.

But ¿What determines the BEST?

¿Anyone here with enough criteria to determine this?

Say, Magnum Opus ¿are you the one who determines that?
And please, my location doesn't matter, I've been here forever watching in the shadows, every topic, every match, Internet is handy.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
Hugs is the best because he plays all the best people in the nation. that's what determines who is the best. if you came to the us and played agasint them you would learn that.

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
Hugs is the best because he plays all the best people in the nation. that's what determines who is the best. if you came to the us and played agasint them you would learn that.
I would gladly travel to the United States, play with every person I could, enter many tournaments as my body could take.
But I'm afraid I can't.

I want to agree with you, because I worship HugS, he is too good.
But we haven't played every Smasher, not every smasher has been ranked, not every smasher can travel.

We must take that in count.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I agree with Dyna on this one, it is imposible to determine "best" espeacially in a game as volitial as SSBM. Hugs is amazing, I love his smarts over flash play style. But in a game that literally changes every day, and a game in which it is very hard for everyone to make an apperance "The best" is a title that can't really be given away acurately.

Sure it's fine to say "Hugs is my fav" or "Oro is the man", and I think thats all threads like this one are really saying. But The Best thats a hard title you can't just throw around.

Edit:
Also... this thread is about Phanna! lets get back on subject people.

majoras16

Smash Apprentice
As stated, I'm obviously not the Best samus in the world. It's almost unnecessary to say, but since you asked, it was fair people answered, but I don't get why some people laugh so much, because that is either unecissarily mocking you, or me, either of which doesn't really seem appropriate or necessary.
a little late but...
phanna we all know here in the samus boards that you are good, me myself think that if i ever go into a match with u that youll beat me, also we know that youve helped a lot of starters and asking for tips, combos or moves in the samus boards, that u have a fan that jumps into conclusions saying that u are better than wes... (no offense)(me myself was one of those and she knows what im talking about:chuckle: )...and other people start mocking its not ur fault...but u looked a little johnner in defending yourself.

shararah u say dyna is better than me, hell yeah she is the reason i started playing samus, that u say phanna mint is better than dyna well i disagree...see its matter of opinions if u are going to guide yourself becasue of the poll in the video section then gather ur friends and vote as many times u can, and thats it

...and phanna, keep making videos:)

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I say Aniki, just because he's freaking amazing.
Aniki for best Link, screw Samus. ;)

ApolloX54

Smash Apprentice
So you poeple finally realized that there is no "Best." Just those who are amazing and those who wish they were...(with a little grey area), and it only took what 4 pages.

However, I agree, cause my friend's friend played someone who won a tournament being a "flashy," you know with advanced tactics and all and he dominated himm without it. So truly to be the best you would have to play ranked and unranked. With is impossible. There are just to many.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
dyna, its the sign of a noob to think you are good when all you have played are your friends. go to a big tournament. see how you do. then come back and tell me you "cant rank people becasue not everyone has been played"

Kuriko

Smash Apprentice
Every "best player" topic I've seen turns into a big war, and this time is not looking to be very different. I agree with Dyna that the thread should be closed before things get ridiculous.

Cra$hman

Smash Lord
how bout we set up a rotating schedule of all the samus's so each samus gets to be "best samus in the world" 1 day out of the month. and on leap years for the extra day everyone will be tied :)

Watty

Smash Lord
man people what determines the best samus is CONSISTANT GOOD TOURNY PLACINGS. which makes Hugs the best because he is very very good on a very consistant bases. Its not juss 1 tourny where he got an easy bracket his bracket at Orlando was brutal but he pulled out some amazing matches.

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
dyna, its the sign of a noob to think you are good when all you have played are your friends. go to a big tournament. see how you do. then come back and tell me you "cant rank people becasue not everyone has been played"
That was a horrible argument, those two points are completely unrelated.

Does anyone know where Hugs placed in Orlando?

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
LessThanPi
I think someone should start a "favorite Samus" thread, I think it might even take a lot of presure off of threads like this one for people who are trying to express just that.

Sure hugs is the best ranking Samus, that in and of it's self is a huge thing. Rankings are something that we can easily measured. But like myself and Dyna and a few other people have been saying, this doesn't nessesarily make him "The Best Samus Player".

An example: The are a handful of people who are as good and better than Profesional Basketball players but they don't go pro, for what ever reason, lack of drive, unscouted, etc. Not playing in tournements, not being a pro, not playing in the finals; These things do not diminish thier skill. You know what I mean.

We are simply saying who is the best doesn't automatically equate to who ranks the best.

Also, Magnum Jesus loves everyone...

Dyna

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
DASH#330
NNID
DynaDASH
3DS FC
4442-0361-1464
jesus i hate noobs..............

WHERE IS MIKE NASTY WHEN YOU NEED HIM
That's cool, if you hate "noobs", you must be a pro, one of these guys who decide what matters most.

I haven't seen Mike Nasty since DBR's "Evolution" ¿Where is he?

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
<3: nah I don't like that idea, there's enough spam as it is.

btw, of the Samus players that I personally know, IHSB is my favorite.

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
We are simply saying who is the best doesn't automatically equate to who ranks the best.
actually, it does! this is not basketball! this is smash! you are the best if you beat the best people consistently! that is a fact! . !

Also, Magnum Jesus loves everyone...
but not everyone loves jesus

ESAM

Smash Ace
SEFL representing samus in the sunshine state
lol@dave.

ur clearly leagues better than esam. just because samus user X beats samus user y in a samus ditto doesn't show the better samus.

i can say with 100% confidence, you're better.

as for everyone else dissing phanna, grow up. i've played both wes and phanna, they're both good in their different ways. wes has way more experience, of course he's going to do better. as far as potential goes, phanna is crazy.
If you haven't seen me play than you have no right to assume he is better. Like he said, i have better tournament placings. I might not be the master of technical **** but im good at combos, missiling, decent at SWD, and good against lots of characters. The only ones that i have problems with are falcos, sheik (sorta), and C.Fal. IM getting better against sheik and falco, (thank god for power-shielding)

I am not saying Phanna is worse, but we can't decide that yet so don't go giving your personal opinion thinking it is the base of those two people.

And Phanna, i would love to MM you or just play you again. If you are coming to my bro's tournament on 1/4/07 i would be happy to play you

For my opinion on this, i think Wes is the best samus in the world. He can do most techs consistantly, gets most likely the best tournament rankings of Samus's, and is just badass all around

Magnum Opus

Smash Journeyman
If you haven't seen me play than you have no right to assume he is better. Like he said, i have better tournament placings. I might not be the master of technical **** but im good at combos, missiling, decent at SWD, and good against lots of characters. The only ones that i have problems with are falcos, sheik (sorta), and C.Fal. IM getting better against sheik and falco, (thank god for power-shielding)

I am not saying Phanna is worse, but we can't decide that yet so don't go giving your personal opinion thinking it is the base of those two people.

And Phanna, i would love to MM you or just play you again. If you are coming to my bro's tournament on 1/4/07 i would be happy to play you

For my opinion on this, i think Wes is the best samus in the world. He can do most techs consistantly, gets most likely the best tournament rankings of Samus's, and is just badass all around
wow i love ignorance.

technomancer

Smash Champion
Haha, are you guys kidding? This is the most peaceful "Who is the best?" thread ever.

Anyway, there's a reason Hugs is the captain of the West Coast on the crew battles. Can't tell who's the best? Well, if anyone is better than Hugs, then they should probably head up to an MLG and see what they can win, otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much. There's a level being played at MLGs that's beyond anything going on at a local tournament; the mindgames start as soon as the players pick their characters. Every matchup is influenced by a huge set of Dos and dozens of Do Nots, player vs. player and character vs. character, and every time you play a great player, you learn a few of them. If you follow me, Hugs is the best Samus by experience; not because he wins so hard and can beat anyone, but because he loses so little. "Zomg that doesn't prove anything techno, you never know someone could beat Hugs and be better!" Zomg nothing, if you want me to specify, then Hugs is the best "known" Samus, and Samus don existes that has proven herself as Hugs has.

Aniki is of course the other side of the arguement, and I think Hugs would win. Why? Aniki's good, creative, technical and trappy, but Hugs is all of the same, and I feel he's more creative and faster with his Samus. That, and Aniki's samus is freakin gay.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
The fact that a conversation is subjective does not void an ability to have a conversation about it. Just because you cannot factually prove one person to be better than someone else certainly does not mean that one person has a much stronger case than someone else. In this case you would attepmt to use a strong inductive argument, which does not prove a case, just leads the person to believe that there is a high probablitiy that your statement is true. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_argument )

Obviously one problem with this entire argument is that "best" is such a relative term. Like i could easily say that Phanna is the best Samus because he makes the best videos, so he creates the greatest amount of enjoyment for me, therefore he is the best.

For the sake of argument im going to define "Best" as "highest probability of winning a match in a tournament"

And my inductive reasoning is

1) HugS has won the highest number of matches in recent times
2) most of the well known, well respected players believe HugS to have the highest probability to win matches in tournaments (as proven by his rankings in the power rankings)

Because of this, i say that HugS is the best player.

Now obviously i have proven nothing, and there is always a chance that there is some kid who is living in a hole who is the best samus player in the universe, but has never played in a tournament, but would have the highest probability of winning under the circumstance that he did, but i would state that there is a high probability that HugS is the best samus smasher according to my definition of best.

mathos

Smash Champion
Smartest Samus Players (based on these amazing posts):

1. Hugs
2. Echo
3. Not Watty
4. No else else on the samus boards

Sighrax

Smash Lord
Dyna is awesome. Magnum, I like how you come to random threads and just pick **** with people. Well done.

Perhaps EDGE didn't realize that this is how the boards work? And hell, what's wrong with an opinion? That's the thing, you don't HAVE TO AGREE WITH IT. So flaming isn't really the appropriate way to deal with it. Statistics involving placings, etc. like some people have done, is the correct way to do it.

ESAM, yes, you're good. But get over yourself, you still have A LOT of learning to do.

Also, Phanna, I'll MM you :)

GREAT-ONE

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, wes is probably the best samus. Don't get me wrong, I do think Hugs is very good too. I'd say its probably a tie between hugs and wes. I've actually seen them play each other in a regional battle tournament and wes owned him. I've also noticed that wes does place higher in tournaments than hugs does when they both enter in singles at the same tournaments.

Heres a video of the regional battle crew. On the second match, its hugs vs wes. Wes starts out the match with only one stock and hugs has all 4 and wes actually takes 2 of hugs stocks before hugs takes wes's last one

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8952345713770176022&q=ssbm+regional+battle&hl=en

Watty

Smash Lord
TomH ftw.

I kno nothing of Aniki i knoq hes amazing and places well but juss cause Hugs is US samus players I will juss say he is the best in the country.

Eternal MLG NY i believe both of them Wes did not make it out of the amatuer bracket

greatone that match was a LONG time ago, **** changed. (I witnessed 2)

<3 please name 1 name a good non pro bball player and for the love of god dont name any1 on the And 1 team or Harlem Globe trotters.

I cant believe some of you people dont think that consistant tourny placings dont show who the best is. What is it than combo vids?!?!?!?! ROFLMFAO no. Is it vids of them in matches?!?!?! Some of you who think ur the best get out and try and prove it, if u say u cant for some various reasons GG dont talk about it cause until U prove you can hang with the best you will never be considered the best, and people randomly saying ur the ebst cause ur combo vids are good or theyve seen u make vids of you playing ur friends that is all u will get and that is some ignorant **** right there

btw about Mikenasty i believe he does not play anymore if he does not competitvly because I have not heard about him in a long time in the tourny scene.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Obviously power rankings and placement in tournaments isnt everything. Plenty of people arent in the public eye as much due to a lack of ability to travel. Also, as i said before, best can be defined in many different ways, so before roflmaoing in their face, consider that they may not prioritize tournament winning as much as you may, and they may well consider the best samus to be the most technical and most flashy because they believe that ability is a question of ability in training mode moreso than ability against another human player.

And i also forgot to mention in my inductive reasoning that my argument only took into account US players, because the power rankings, and the tournaments were generally constricted to only US players.

Mankosuki

Smash Champion
NNID
Mankosuki
3DS FC
1977-0214-1670
TomH, it reminds me of the case of this guy at a Tournament in Louisiana. He could do all the technical stuff with Fox like SH double laser, shine carrying/infiniting, etc. but yet when we went into the tournament he got completely decimated. That was because he had no experience fighting people so he had no mind games, knowledge of proper DI, etc.

Hugs is the best because he has both the technical skill, and the experience of high tourney placeings while beating skilled players like PC Chris. As sad as it is, it's impossible for a no name to be anything but a no name until they start having impressive tournament results. Sure there's other skilled Samus players out there, but there's a huge gap between us and the pros. For most, that gap isn't in technicality it's in experience.

TomH

Smash Journeyman
TomH, it reminds me of the case of this guy at a Tournament in Louisiana. He could do all the technical stuff with Fox like SH double laser, shine carrying/infiniting, etc. but yet when we went into the tournament he got completely decimated. That was because he had no experience fighting people so he had no mind games, knowledge of proper DI, etc.
My point wasnt "technical skill does not necessarily translate into tournament skill therefore dont base best on technical skill", my point was that best can be defined how you want it to. I could easily see an argument that would value technical skill over tournament skill. Having amazing mind games like HugS is something that could be implemented into any character, whereas amazing samus technical skill is truly a Samus only technique. Therefore you could argue that Phanna is a better SAMUS (as in he is better because he has better samus only skills), just HugS is a better SMASHER (because mindgames and all that could be implemented into any smasher gaming style). All im saying is dont be so critical of others opinions of BEST, because it could be as simple as a difference of opinion on what best means.

Plairnkk

Smash Legend
If you haven't seen me play than you have no right to assume he is better.
If i haven't seen you play?

I played you in a tournament when i was in FL and 4 stocked your silly-bad samus and then you went to pokefloats after you lost. I proceeded to kill myself intentionally because pokefloats is gay, then 3 stocked your silly-bad luigi on FD.

StripesOrBars

Smash Master
If i haven't seen you play?

I played you in a tournament when i was in FL and 4 stocked your silly-bad samus and then you went to pokefloats after you lost. I proceeded to kill myself intentionally because pokefloats is gay, then 3 stocked your silly-bad luigi on FD.
LOL, you play Shiek. I would say some other things about you, but then I'd be breaking my promise to Kokichi.

Oh and you lost to Pichu! LOL.

Besides Florida is garbage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom