• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social PGD4: I changed the title.

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Hmm, I could draw you one too, if you'd like~
Y'know what, I'll open a request thread~

Soul.

So like, when will the matchup thread be active and stuff. By matchup thread I mean the directory we have stickied.

Soul.

I'm not sure. I brought it up in the to-do list thread, but nobody ever replied. ;-;
We all do the best we can to make these boards productive and it still doesn't work. How can we even make these boards clean?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
We all do the best we can to make these boards productive and it still doesn't work. How can we even make these boards clean?
I don't know if you've noticed, but the boards are definitely looking more active. In my opinion, cleaning it up a bit and being active on it ourselves has made a difference. It's not exactly as perfect as we want it to be, but it's getting there. Once we finish our to-do list, I'm sure the boards will be even more active! :)

Soul.

I don't know if you've noticed, but the boards are definitely looking more active. In my opinion, cleaning it up a bit and being active on it ourselves has made a difference. It's not exactly as perfect as we want it to be, but it's getting there. Once we finish our to-do list, I'm sure the boards will be even more active! :)
True. I guess I mostly see it as inactive; I check these boards daily lol

Umbreoff

Smash Cadet
Hey guys. I haven't visited smashboards in months. How has the pika family been?

A10theHero

SSJ Fraud
NNID
A10theHero
Hey guys. I haven't visited smashboards in months. How has the pika family been?
We've been doing well. How have you been? This new patch has raised some important questions, though it seems like Pikachu's pressure ability just got buffed.

Last edited:

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
havent been here in this part of the forum, but I do have some questions to ask.

I am maining Jr and I have no plans of dropping him and I consider myself being reaaaally good with him despite him not being that known.
however just like many characters, they have some MUs thats just struggles with and Jr is one of them.

so my main question is: is pikachu the perfect secondary for my Jr?

and also: what "type" is pikachu is he known (Rusher, camper, trickster etc) any good "pikachu starter pack" guide so you could learn the basic and the meta of him?

if pikachu fits Jr and he fits my style, expect me staying here 'w'

Last edited:

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
havent been here in this part of the forum, but I do have some questions to ask.

I am maining Jr and I have no plans of dropping him and I consider myself being reaaaally good with him despite him not being that known.
however just like many characters, they have some MUs thats just struggles with and Jr is one of them.

so my main question is: is pikachu the perfect secondary for my Jr?

and also: what "type" is pikachu is he known (Rusher, camper, trickster etc) any good "pikachu starter pack" guide so you could learn the basic and the meta of him?

if pikachu fits Jr and he fits my style, expect me staying here 'w'
I don't really think pikachu is a secondary type character. Pikachu has overall neutral or advantageous matchups so whether you think so or not you would use pika more, making him a main. I think of secondaries of characters that compliment your main for certain matchups only (I.e villager covering the Luigi mu for pikachu) I don't want to discourage you, by all means if you like it do it, but these are just my observations.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
I don't really think pikachu is a secondary type character. Pikachu has overall neutral or advantageous matchups so whether you think so or not you would use pika more, making him a main. I think of secondaries of characters that compliment your main for certain matchups only (I.e villager covering the Luigi mu for pikachu) I don't want to discourage you, by all means if you like it do it, but these are just my observations.
its completely understandable due pikachus great MUs and his tools being able to make lots of his MU alone without an secondary.
but still, I dont want to give up Jr since I played him since start ;w; yet I really want to give pikachu a try firstly as secondary!

iVoltage

$5.99 Abuser
its completely understandable due pikachus great MUs and his tools being able to make lots of his MU alone without an secondary.
but still, I dont want to give up Jr since I played him since start ;w; yet I really want to give pikachu a try firstly as secondary!
To could always just co main if you can't decide, but it takes some work.

Angiance

Smash Lord
You can't really have Pikachu as a secondary since he requires a very high degree of technical ability, but knock yourself out

Noro~

Smash Cadet
A social thread, hm? Is this where newly registered Pika's come to say hi? If yes: hi!
We all do the best we can to make these boards productive and it still doesn't work.
Believe me, these boards are like super active compared to where I come from. I'm actually excited to have a decent amount of people to talk about our Main now...

Exceladon City

Smash Hero
You can't really have Pikachu as a secondary since he requires a very high degree of technical ability, but knock yourself out
I disagree. Having a high learning curve doesn't make a character any less viable as a secondary. Any secondary is going to require work, and the secondary isn't likely to be as good as your main.

Angiance

Smash Lord
What I'm saying is that anyone can to use Pikachu as a non-main, but the results will be subpar since it takes such an extreme amount of technical ability to use Pikachu in an effective way; only a true Pikachu main can use Pikachu to the fullest ability

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
No one's stopping you from being technically proficient at multiple characters, though~

Angiance

Smash Lord
The only way to play Pikachu effectively is to train with him solely, unless you're only fighting low-mid level players

Saying that a secondary Pikachu could best a Pikachu main or even keep their footing with a Pikachu main...you wouldn't say that, would you?

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Well no, but by that logic we shouldn't bother with secondaries since they won't match up against the people maining them, right?
That's why it's a secondary or pocket~

For instance, no one's stopping you from using Sheik as a secondary just cause you can't beat ZeRo's Sheik, there are certain base level techs that anyone can learn to use a character semi-proficiently. Will these match up to the mains? Obviously not, since there's familiarity with the character and experience in hours that they'll have over you. Nothing stopping you from at least learning the technical skills~

Angiance

Smash Lord
I repeat myself: *Anyone can feel free to use Pikachu as a secondary,* but they shouldn't expect anything amazing out of it-unless it's just a for fun character. If someone really wants a secondary then they may as well use a character that doesn't require a huge amount of dedication to play effectively

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you're probably right~
It's probably too taxing to juggle two highly technical characters at a time, unless you're a dedicated top player

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I disagree. While pikachu has a high skill cap, he is a very proficient character and there are many more complex character than pika in smash 4 such as lucario and rosalina. Having a secondary by nature is meant for taking on bad match-ups, so if it covers your bad match-ups and you just practice the secondary to cover those match-ups alone, you can get just as good results since you are specializing in a few particular match-ups.

that being said, pikachu has such an amazing match-up pool that anyone using pika as a secondary may as well main him since his match-ups are almost all positive, but a strong secondary pika can make plays just as well as a hard mained pika. I think it's erroneous to say that he takes too much skill and therfore should just be played for fun. that is by and large your own opinion of the character, since pika is fundamentally an amazing character and can actually get results without having to practice to the degree that you are stating.

also, in regards to the comment on saying a pika main wouldnt be bested by a pika secondary, i doubt anyone is going to pick up pika for the ditto. Even so in that instance, not that many pikas know the ditto, and if someone did pick up pika for use in the ditto and a few other MU's and trained those MU's out specifically then I would say they could have just as good of a chance as a pika main.

Last edited:

Coro_

Smash Apprentice
I guess the idea is that Pika does take a lot of practice to use either way, so you might as well pick a different secondary if you don't want to put in all that effort just for a secondary; on the other hand, if you do want to put in that effort you might as well just main him since he's that good

Just getting QA down so you don't SD while recovering might take a while, let alone offensive applications, for example =w=;

Last edited:

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
essentialy yes. Like, you can use him to cover your bad matchups but you honestly may as well main him if you are getting promising results since he will most likely have better or equal matchups to your main. its like having a pocket MK in brawl. Yea you can have a pocket MK, but may as well main him since he has no bad matchups. then again, pikachu and pocket MK are very different by comparison. Pika takes practice, MK took plugging in a controller.

Last edited:

Angiance

Smash Lord
"Pika takes practice; MK took plugging in the controller"

That is hilarious and true, sadly

Pikachu's U.Air alone is EXTREMELY complex and takes a very, very, very long time to even get a grasp of-like, I'm still training myself to know what to do based off of the angle that I hit, and I'm also training myself to hit SUPER specific angles of U.Air at SUPER specific times. F.Air is probably his second most complex attack

~Radiance~

Meow-Meow, Choco-Chow
NNID
LatiasLulu
3DS FC
4098-3185-5390
I mean, uair is just a typical string that you follow opponents DI with. No angle of uair is ever going to guarantee an angle off reaction, and given that uair as an OoS option only works on tall characters now its much better to react accordingly on reaction and follow up with bair/fair depending on their DI. Fair I can see as being sorta complex, but its really just a matter of spacing autocanceled fair and ffing it into grabs/tilts. Idk, I feel like while pika is complex in that closing kills is not as easy and requires prediction he's really not that complex outside of that since anyone can utilt/dthrow into strings.

Top Bottom