• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PGD: Happy Birthday, Red!

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
Dang espy. mad harsh.

compared to a lot of the irl brawl videos out there. This **** is golden. If you compare it to big budget **** than of course it looks so so.

KayLo!

Smarter than your average wabbit.
3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
I like There Will Be Brawl. Never got past episode 2, though, for sheer laziness's sake on checking when they were updated.

Fannzy's being a good girl for mamachu :3 :3 :3
...that sounds awkward.
Lol! It did, but it's all good. <3

Anyways, as far as I'm concerned, 2010 is gonna suck twice as hard.
Well, if you think it will, of course it will. =\

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Dang espy. mad harsh.

compared to a lot of the irl brawl videos out there. This **** is golden. If you compare it to big budget **** than of course it looks so so.
Nah. It's mediocre.
Le' Bagman is probably the best live-action internet video-thing done by a low budget group of people, ever.

Well, if you think it will, of course it will. =\
Don't kid. It's only natural for things to suck as time progresses. That's how everything works, right?

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Emo much, Espy? God****, lol.

Anyways, I think 2010 is gonna be great. And if it isn't? Oh well. But positive thought >>>>>>>>> negative bull****.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Emo much, Espy? God****, lol.

Anyways, I think 2010 is gonna be great. And if it isn't? Oh well. But positive thought >>>>>>>>> negative bull****.
Not emo, just realistic. More bad things happen to people than good things. That's why good things feel so good when they DO happen.

And being pessimistic is okay. If something good is supposedly going to happen, and you're pessimistic about it, only two things can really happen as a result

1. The good thing does happen, and you were wrong, but the end result is pleasant enough to not care that you were wrong about it.

2. The good thing doesn't happen, and you were right. Nothing is lost, and nothing is gained.

Pessimism is an effective way to never be disappointed about anything, ever.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
^Exactly.
You'll be less disappointed than if you got your hopes up.
And if you're wrong, hey, you're wrong and good stuff happened!
There are few times I've gotten my hopes up without them being crushed and torn to pieces.

Kenrawr

Smash Master
We all have our personal pessimism. No need to make it worse and share yours.

Expecting the worst has it's down side.

Does this guy play Pikachu?
|
|
|
V

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Not emo, just realistic. More bad things happen to people than good things. That's why good things feel so good when they DO happen.

And being pessimistic is okay. If something good is supposedly going to happen, and you're pessimistic about it, only two things can really happen as a result

1. The good thing does happen, and you were wrong, but the end result is pleasant enough to not care that you were wrong about it.

2. The good thing doesn't happen, and you were right. Nothing is lost, and nothing is gained.

Pessimism is an effective way to never be disappointed about anything, ever.
That is flawed logic.

In reality, you're just jaded. Good things happen all the time, but to you, you see them as not as good as they are or as the norm. You only feel "good" when something extraordinarily good happens, whereas every bad thing is more than likely magnified even if it's not a big deal.

That's how the world seems to the average person. People take way too much for granted.

Every moment you spend with someone you like to be around is good. Waking up and having a delicious breakfast is good. Being able to come on SWF and **** around with other Pikas is good.

I try to appreciate the little things, because at the end of the day, they do balance out the bad.

@your pessimism theory: Do you feel good being pessimistic? It feels much better to be optimistic, trust me. Learn to not be so disappointed when things don't go perfectly, and you can enjoy feeling hopeful and excited about things to come, even when the future is uncertain.

EDIT:

Expecting the worst has it's down side.

Does this guy play Pikachu?
|
|
|
V
its*

+1

And no, he doesn't.

Flawless Fan

Smash Hero
Expecting the worst has its down side.
Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

The only down side I see is being a douche to everyone because you're always pessimistic and looking at the bad things.
...Which I only do if I'm in a be-a-douche-to-everyone mood.

edit: @kaylo
I used to be SUPER optimistic about everything.... and that didn't work out.
I try not to think about the bad things that could happen, but I make sure I'm fully aware of as many possible things that could happen, so if something bad DOES happen, it won't be as bad as if it were completely unexpected.
On the bright side, I'm being optimistic about something. :D My mom's letting me host a tourney if I can find a venue, and I think I found one.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447

The only down side I see is being a douche to everyone because you're always pessimistic and looking at the bad things.
Wrong. When you prepare for and expect the worst, you needlessly put stress on your mind/body (whether you realize it or not) and don't try as hard. It kills your motivation.

I will bring out my psych references if I need to.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Optimism =/= thinking everything will be perfect. You can be a realist and still be optimistic, lol.

Their version of pessimism is infinitely ********, though, no offense, and nothing but a hindrance to one's mood and productivity.

Plus it just sounds whiney.

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I've always considered myself a realist with a hint of bias towards optimism.

I've also come to the conclusion that viewpoint I have is nothing more than a masquerade to hide the negative side of me from others and to trick myself into thinking I'm legit, which stems for the part in me that has no self-confidence and feels I have no self worth in the world due to the realization of how insignificant I really am in the grand scheme of life.

ie I think too much and too realistically.

awesome.gif

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
due to the realization of how insignificant I really am in the grand scheme of life.
That's not entirely true.

I dunno if you want me to get into it, tho. :urg:

Short version: your influence spreads to everyone you come into contact with. That right there is part of the meaning of life, imo.

(Disclaimer: tbh, I don't think life has any true meaning besides the drive to live and procreate, but I'm referring to the concept of it that humans've come up with. Since we're intelligent and **** and ****ed ourselves over with this need for happiness.)

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
I understand that much, but compare my total influence to the uncountable amount of people from the start of time to the end, then yea. Insignificant.

But that's a general rule of magnification. You zoom out far enough, and even the largest of things look a whole deal less important/significant.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
That is flawed logic.

In reality, you're just jaded. Good things happen all the time, but to you, you see them as not as good as they are or as the norm. You only feel "good" when something extraordinarily good happens, whereas every bad thing is more than likely magnified even if it's not a big deal.

That's how the world seems to the average person. People take way too much for granted.

Every moment you spend with someone you like to be around is good. Waking up and having a delicious breakfast is good. Being able to come on SWF and **** around with other Pikas is good.

I try to appreciate the little things, because at the end of the day, they do balance out the bad.
Of course they do, and I understand each and every one of those things. Me waking up to a breakfast is a fantastic thing, while waking up to nothing is something that can't be helped, but isn't a big deal.

Of course I appreciate things I'm given, even the tiniest issue, and every good thing that happens to me, but I feel that that alone makes it just to be unappreciative of the bad things that happen to me as well.

@your pessimism theory: Do you feel good being pessimistic? It feels much better to be optimistic, trust me. Learn to not be so disappointed when things don't go perfectly, and you can enjoy feeling hopeful and excited about things to come, even when the future is uncertain.
Of course I don't feel good about being pessimistic. If I felt good about it, I'd be fully committed to the ideals that revolve around it. I just feel that it's the most effective way for me to progress through time.

Hope for the best and prepare for the worst. I've always taken that saying to heart ever since I was a child.

And don't get me wrong either, I'm not that "I'm going to bring EVERYONE down with me" pessimist. I just like thinking about all the possible ways things can go wrong. From that point it becomes easier to find ways to prevent each and every one of those possibilities. If my attempts fail, then it's no big deal as by that time I've already conceded to the possibility that I could fail that as well, and will take the punch.

Wrong. When you prepare for and expect the worst, you needlessly put stress on your mind/body (whether you realize it or not) and don't try as hard. It kills your motivation.

I will bring out my psych references if I need to.
Please do. I really don't feel like that's the case.
Actually, re-reading what you said, I don't EXPECT the worst, I just prepare for the possibility that it may happen.

Their version of pessimism is infinitely ********, though, no offense, and nothing but a hindrance to one's mood and productivity.
Don't knock it til you try it~ :D

But really, if this way of thinking has gotten me this far without any major bruises or injury, then it's worth something, is it not?

=====

(Disclaimer: tbh, I don't think life has any true meaning besides the drive to live and procreate, but I'm referring to the concept of it that humans've come up with. Since we're intelligent and **** and ****ed ourselves over with this need for happiness.)
I personally see life as a duty. Happiness is just a small benefit you may gain as you fulfill your duty.

=====

One final piece just to top it all off. I do think negatively, and I do it quite often. But as to why I've become productive in any sort of way (and I have, KayLo, I just don't speak of it), as well as- for the most part- maintaining a pseudo-stable existence, is because of my negativity.

I have nothing to lose worth value, and everything to gain. When I eventually die, I will lose everything I've ever had. Losing nothing would be boring, wouldn't it?

I might as well go down doing SOMETHING rather than nothing, while not being surprised when something negative happens and I lose a "something", because they will happen, and happen often.

It's like a game of Monopoly. It's hilarious.

And the orange-red corner ***** you.

KayLo!

3DS FC
3497-1590-7447
Actually, re-reading what you said, I don't EXPECT the worst, I just prepare for the possibility that it may happen.
You said 2010 will be bad -- stated it as a fact. That's expecting the worst, lol.

You don't need to be pessimistic to be most effective. @.@ That's some back***wards logic.

ANYWAY, I think 2010 will be better than 2009. And **** all y'all who're being negative nancies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You said 2010 will be bad -- stated it as a fact. That's expecting the worst, lol.

You don't need to be pessimistic to be most effective. @.@ That's some back***wards logic.
I did. I guess I gauged it on my life's experience so far, rather than Joe Schmoe's.

Oh, and I never said being pessimistic is the most effective thing. It's just the most effective thing for ME.

I know you don't need to be pessimistic to be the most effective. Same applies for optimism.
Being optimistic can easily be as ineffective, even moreso, than pessimism, while at the same time, keeping the potential to be the most effective (same applies to pessimism of course).

****, a good percentage of America suffers from some kind of depression, but we're still functioning.

ANYWAY, I think 2010 will be better than 2009. And **** all y'all who're being negative nancies.
Hmmm. Depending on what happens, 2010 is 100% gonna suck.
It'll just suck marginally less than 2009. Meh, a lesser loss is a lesser loss.

And you're sounding mighty~ negative.

2010 is going to be one thing and one thing only.

That's the best way to look at it, by far.

Top Bottom