• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perth North vs South | South CP Chess!!! Event held 25th July!!!

Trillest

Smash Ace
How many rocked up to your msn convo :p also score was 33-12 mvp for south is jesse mvp for north is up to vote which we didnt get around to doin, also i here north has a tennis star :D (ofc not me ><)

MTGod

Smash Champion
Okiedokie, we got a counterpick: 8-Ball Pool!!!

I'll make an official post about it now, but I will post an update to the rules as well:

Variations of the same event are not classed as different events, i.e. half-court basketball is considered to be basketball, for purposes of counterpicking...
Event: 8-Ball Pool
Time: 18th April, 11am
Location: Pot Black North Perth (464 Fitzgerald St, North Perth)
It's actually right under Rosemount Bowl, so those who went to bowling should have no qualms about finding the place :D

Cost: $13-14 per table per hour... 2 people per table means $6.50-7 per person per hour... REALLY shouldn't take longer than an hour to finish a match :p If they don't have enough tables there we may just play all matches on one or two tables and divide the total by the number of people, but we'll play that by ear...

Game Format/Team Size:
Obviously in the past we've had trouble getting people, but I'm going to try to get 5 a side again... Again we'll play it by ear... If there's uneven numbers someone can play twice or someone can sit out (*sadface*)...

Each match will be a singles match (1 vs 1) with a best of 5 games (so, first to 3 wins)... The winner of the previous game will break for the next game, however the break for the first game will be decided by RPS (winner chooses who is to break)...

RULESET
We'll be using standard 8-Ball rules, which everyone I have talked to in the scene now the basics of (if you are unsure of how to play, feel free to ask me on the day, but really I'm sure everyone's played 8-ball before :p). However, I'll be making some stipulations of certain rules that have proven to vary person to person:

- If one of each sides' balls (small and large) are sunk in one shot during the "neutral" phase (where no player has a side yet) that person gets to choose which side they want to play with, and gets an extra shot (i.e. no foul)...
- All foul shots award the opponent two shots... Foul shots include, but aren't limited to, sinking the opponent's ball, hitting the opponent's ball before your own, sinking the cue ball etc.
- Potting balls is cumulative to your shot count. So, if you have two shots for some reason, and sink a ball on your first shot, it means you still have two shots (-1 for taking your shot, and then +1 for sinking a ball)... Fouls are NOT cumulative though...
- If you sink an opponent's ball, it is considered a foul and you lose that turn (regardless of if you sunk one of your own as well)...
- If you sink the 8-ball while one or more of your balls are on the table, you lose.
- Once on the black ball, pockets do NOT have to be nominated (reasoning for this is to make the games go quicker, and decrease the time/cost of being there)...
- If you sink the white ball in the same shot that you sink the black ball, you lose...

ONCE BOTH PLAYERS ARE ON THE BLACK BALL:::
- Any foul committed means you lose (including not hitting the black ball, hitting the cue ball off the table/into a pocket, etc.etc.)

MTGod

Smash Champion
I'm finding it hard to write excitingly about Pool to be honest... Every sentence end in "and then it was won by default..."

I'm just going to do a player summary for each person instead :D

MTGod

Smash Champion
Masa was more the coach for the day rather than a player, and he gets plenty of mentions :D

True Romance

Smash Ace
Thx ^^ Pool is flawed i mean i sunk 5 balls and my opponent sunk none How do i lose ?

(surprised Luke hasn't visited this with all the mention of balls)
Avoid ****ing around too much with the black one till you've got nothing left and you should be right for next time :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
It's officially hit the neutral phase of the competition I believe... No CP is safe XD

This competition is about to get serious...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Things just get more obscure and interesting, that's all.

MTGod

Smash Champion
What Mic said :D

Of course, remember that if both sides agree, anything can be chosen, just like in Brawl :p But obviously if the other side agrees, then there will be surprises to be had :DDD

Obscurity is the only safe bet IMO, so choose Lawn Bowls, or a 20 legged man race XDXDXD

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Pfft. How uncouth. Polo, Croque and laser rocket launcher duels.

MTGod

Smash Champion
TRIPLE POST **** YEAH

Well, not really - posting on behalf of Trav:

Posting on behalf of Trav - Table Tennis is the official North Counterpick... Will be held on the 16th I imagine, since it's the only Sunday left...

North have to sort out team sizes, location etc. ASAP or suffer a technical loss... Deadline will be Friday for the details to be posted, so get to it Northies!!! (I'm being lenient with the details and **** this time, but next time the official announcment has to include this kinda detail and be made by the announcement deadline or a technical loss will be given...

MTGod

Smash Champion
Well... I'll check with the other South people who are likely to attend to see if they'll agree on pushing back the date to the following Sunday (23rd), since OH APAC is kinda a big deal to some Southies as well...

EDIT:
Jesse - a founding member of "Equivalent Circuit" says (7:50 PM):
so, in the epic graciousness of the South given the North's horrid, horrid predicament in terms of players, we have decided to show mercy upon you and allow the event to be held on the 23rd of May instead... you can thank us on the day ^^ So sort out details like location/team sizes/scoring stuff by the 16th North or you'll get a tech loss

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I played a videogame that koreans play, so that makes me like half korean, right?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
did you at any point sound like "zerg rush kekekekekekekekek"?
....not quite.....

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rx4sOAt2EPM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&start=10&autoplay=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rx4sOAt2EPM&hl=en_GB&fs=1&start=10&autoplay=1&rel=0&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Vlade

Social Outcast
Okiedokie, we got a counterpick: 8-Ball Pool!!!

I'll make an official post about it now, but I will post an update to the rules as well:

Event: Table Tennis
Time: Saturday 22nd May, 1pm

Cost: $17 per hour, should be very cheap if we split it up between us.

Game Format/Team Size: Ideally teams of 4 (or an even number) but we'll see what happens on the day.

This is the format:

You get your team of 4. You rank your team members in order (so best player is #1 and so on). We have a round of singles where you verse the player from the opposite team that is the same rank as you (i.e. #1 north vs #1 south). After that, we'll have a round of doubles which would be 1+2 north vs 1+2 south as well as 3+4 north vs 3+4 south. The team which has won the most matches wins. If there is a tie, then it goes down to sets and then points.

Each round for both doubles and singles will be a best of 3 sets.

RULESET

Copied straight from wikipedia: The winner is the first to score 11 points or more while being ahead by 2 points or more. Players alternate serves every two points. At 10-10 (or deuce) the players alternate with every serve; the winner is then the first person to gain a two point advantage over his opponent.

I'll explain other small details in regards to serving and doubles etiquette on the day.

Top Bottom