• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Perth North vs South | South CP Chess!!! Event held 25th July!!!

MTGod

Smash Champion
A feud has been reignited between the two sides of the great city of Perth...

Many choose to argue, but few choose to fight – fight for the right to greatest side of the river. These special few gather to settle the age old debate, and it is now that they must rise up once again to compete in the most epic competition ever...

Prospectively spanning over a year, teams from the North and the South will compete in various events – these events may be games of wit, may be games of skill, and may be games of luck or pretty much anything in between. Who will win? Only time will tell!

Let the North vs South Competition begin!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS AFTER SEVEN EVENTS​
North 4
South 3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event One: To Get the Ball Rolling
Event: Bowling
Date: January 31

TEAMS
North, a.k.a. "Insert Name Here" :p
Muzga (Andr)
Mic_128 (Mic)
Lord Bowser (Ema)
Bringer (Ryan)

South, a.k.a. "The Hunks of the West"
MTGod (Jess)
Marteh (Zelo)
Pete278 (Pete)

The epic struggle between the two sides began with a less than impressive show of support, with many people from both sides being incapacitated by lack of funds, lack of notice, prior engagements and sudden illness... Nevertheless, seven brave souls braved the urban maze in North Perth to fight for their side in the first event of this magnanimous contest, Bowling...

The event was simple - a best of three set of bowling, where each side's average score would determine the victor... As soon as the game started, it was obvious that there was going to be no fooling around, with the first frame being a series of 9's all across the board... Both sides went even for the first few frames, however later on in the first game (after MTGod breaking the game with a powerful strike :p) Lord Bowser managed to break away from the field with an impressively consistent game of 9's and spares... In the end, it was an amazing final frame game from both Lord Bowser and Bringer that sealed the deal for the North, taking the first game and putting the South in danger - **** HAD to get real...

The second game started off very strongly by the South; within the first few frames MTGod and Marteh scored many a strike and spare between them, and even the newbie Pete278 finding his stride... The North were visibly shaken, only amassing 9's until the 3rd frame when Mic broke the torment with a very impressive spare off a gutterball... This is where the tables turned for the South, with all of the North picking up their game and getting spares like they were on special... The torrent of high calibur bowling was matched for a couple of frames, but alas even the South's veteran experienced a trough in playing by the 7th frame, eventually ending in the demise of the contest to the North...

NORTH WIN BOWLING, 2-0!!!​

Event Two: Squashing the Competition
Event: Squash
Date: February 21

TEAMS - Seeded
North:
Braddles
Bringer
Mic_128 (played both 3rd and 5th seed)
Lord Bowser
Mic_128 (played both 3rd and 5th seed)

South:
MTGod
Ghnaschnakoff
Jesusface
Quetzacoatl
Marteh

The sun was beating down on the tin roof of the Squash centre as the sides gathered for the second event. The North, who had been struggling to find members to fill their team, managed to recruit two people within a morning to fill their side (Braddles and Bringer), yet lost one due to sabotage incapacitation of technological communication. The North thus ended up with four, giving the South the opportunity to choose who played twice. After a little bit of deliberation the decision ultimately came down to the 5th seeded South player, Marteh, who arrived at the conclusion to duke it out with Mic_128 for his match.

After a quick 10 minute practice session the games officially began, with Ghnasch vs Bringer on Court 5 and Jesusface vs Mic_128 on Court 6. Both matches were fiercely fought, with many blows exchanged. Bringer, noticing just how good Ghnasch was, decided to take an offensive strategy and launch the ball at the Southie to put him off guard; immediately Ghnasch got mayud and stopped the sandbagging, taking the subsequent two sets 9-0 and thus clean sweeping. Jesusface vs Mic_128 was unfortunately not long lived, with Mic unable to fight back against the former 15th ranked junior player in the state, and JF took the game in 3 sets as well.

Next match up was Quetz vs Lord Bowser; both had moments of brilliance as the game spiralled towards its end with magnificently framed drops and scarily tight drives. In the end, though, LB couldn't stack up to the new Brawl player and Quetz took the match. Marteh took on Mic for his match, which was a marathon game of handouts. Marteh johned like a pro with his crippled back, but still refused the pleas to forfeit the match by his teammates and played on. Alas, the inner strength was outclassed by Mic's squashing ability, who took the match in 3.

The final match was MTGod vs Braddles; MT entered the match very warily having not played against many youthful players recently, and Braddles started swinging from point 1. A few amazing dive shots from both players, as well as some amazing recovery displays resulted in a close match, but in the end experience got the better of the Northie, with MTGod winning 3-1.

SOUTH WIN SQUASH, 4-1!!!​

Event Three: How to be More White
Event: Basketball
Date: March 21

TEAMS
North:
Trillest
Bringer
Mic_128
Lord Bowser

South:
MTGod
Ghnaschnakoff
Pete278
Fractal

Anxiety arose in Applecross as players from both sides of the river had issues arriving to play the second of many events to break a tied competition. Eventually though, after more than an hour of frantic hassling, telephone calls and shooting practice, a team of 4 assembled for each side, prompting the start of the North's counterpick.

The group decided on 10 minute periods, and the game got underway. Taking the jump was MTGod and Trillest, two of the tallest smashers in the scene. Despite being shorter, MT managed to surpass Trill's height and slap the ball away to Ghnasch, who powered down the court to his first shot. Unfortunately, lack of experience got the better of him, and he missed, turning the ball over to the North's actual basketball player, Bringer. Being selfless, he tried to pass the ball off to his less experienced team mates, but not long before the pass possession had been turned over again to the South as their players scrambled for the interceptions. The North managed to convert more of their attempts, though, ending the first period in a score of 8-4.

After a decent break of replenishing lost fluids, the second period began, with an obvious strategy in the North's head - just.****ing.shoot. The South did their best to keep up, but alas their shooting ability wasn't up to par, and despite the attempts at rejections by their ringer Fractal goals kept pouring in. Lord Bowser stepped up to the mark by weaving past a couple of players, and mixing up shots with assists to keep the South on their toes. By the end of the second, it was 20-6.

The sweat had subsided before the start of the third, and hunger had begun to set in for all of the players due to the late start time. The last period begun, and with a couple of great pass plays from Mic_128 and defensive action from Pete278 the game was reinvigorated with a sense of fun. Ghnasch and Trillest started pulling some crazy **** that even the Globetrotters wouldn't touch, and one spectacular 3 point shot by Bringer sent everyone wild. In the end, though, the North won by a considerable margin, leaving the South to ponder their options for a counterpick once again.

NORTH WIN BASKETBALL, 33-12!!!​

Event Four: When balls collide...
Event: 8-ball Pool
Date: 18 April

TEAMS
SOUTH
Ghnaschnakoff
MTGod
Fractal

NORTH
Mic_128
Trillest
Hobobloke (a.k.a. Lord Bowser)

Pot Black was alive with the sound of terrible puns for the fourth NvS event, as three people from each side battled each other in a round robin of 8-ball pool.

-Trill was clearly playing for the love of default victories, displaying his wild affinity for sinking the black ball out of order, resulting in a new competitor for this competition: North vs South vs Default Victories (who is now named Masa - go read the manga!)... Trill managed to lose a game without his opponent sinking any balls, which he has told me deserves a mention!!!
-Nasch, despite being unmanly and using the bridge and cross to take an unacceptable amount of his shots, played otherwise quite well, securing a number of wins for the South.
-Fractal took deadly aim of the cue ball, managing to hit his 6"2' team mate in the shoulder of the break (yeah, wut?) but managed to also mind game both Hobo and Trill into default victories.
-Hobo managed a few nice strings of sinks, but ultimately was overcome by Masa's presence in the room and kept returning to the black ball... That being said, in one match against MT he clearly denied Masa his victory, which angered him greatly and incurred his wrath in the next few games.
-Mic feverishly ran around the table during a frantic game of 1 second pool against Fractal, however managed to tire the South player out to gain his victory for the day... by forfeiture :D
-MT managed to keep Masa's evil from surround him today, either by enlightened or cowardly acts of hitting the balls away from the black ball...

Quotes from the day:
"So what's the deal with balls kissing?"
"I wish I was flying one of those pilot ship things..."

SOUTH WIN 8-BALL POOL, 6-3​

Event Five: Halted by a Tiny Net
Event: Table Tennis
Date: Saturday 22 May

TEAMS
NORTH
Vlade
Trillest
Hobobloke
Muzga

SOUTH
Nasch
MTGod
Pete278
Marteh

As the combattants entered Pot Black with bubble tea in hand, anxiety arose as yet another tied situation of the epic North vs South tournament was about to be broken... For the North, the skillful hands of Vlade and Hobobloke were backed by the cunning wiles of Muzga and Trillest... They went up against an underdog South team of Gnaschnakoff, MTGod, Pete278 and Marteh, who proved to be more than just formidable opponents on the day...

After the practice session, the rules were decided - a 4v4 round robin, the team with the most wins taking the spoils to their wives and children... First up, Vlade vs Pete - unfortunately an inexperienced Pete was no match for the Asian stylings of the Falco main... Straight after, MT took on Muzga, quickly evening the score with the North... Trillest then played a good game against Pete as well, securing another win for the North... Nasch, South's best player, won 3 of his 4 matches on the day, even besting the then unconquered Vlade in overtime points... Hobobloke and Vlade each secured 3/4 wins for the North... Pete, reeling from his losses, quickly broke through North's Muzga in an epic tense set, stepping up his game after being bribed by his team with bubble tea... Unfortunately, despite trying his hardest, Marteh's inexperience became the North's saving grace, bringing them back from the brink of a humiliating defeat...

Still, this was the closest match in NvS yet, which means the inevitable upset still lurks on the horizon... Which side will break through to claim a 2 point lead???

Shot of the day: Vlade's reverse cross-court backhand drop lob, landing on the corner of the table; during the overtime points for Nasch vs Vlade...

NORTH WIN TABLE TENNIS, 9-7!!!

Event Six: Unequizocal
Event: Gaming Quiz hosted by Pete and Kane
Date: ???

TEAMS
???

Summary Pending - I Wasn't there so I can't do it :p

NORTH WIN QUIZ, ??? - ???

Event Seven: Lead with the King!
Event: Chess (lol)
Date: 25 July

SOUTH
MTGod
Pete278
Nasch
Quetz

NORTH
Trill
Hobobloke
Mic_128

SOUTH WIN CHESS, 2-1!!!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
NvS #1 Bowling (Jan 31st 2010)

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1350882375994" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1350882375994" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

MTGod

Smash Champion
Chances are you'll be able to, Rick, when the North inevitably get the next counterpick :p

Oh, btw, hey South guys, now's the time to john :p I'll start: Fractal didn't come, the lazy prick!!! :p

Sieg

Smash Champion
How come I'm not on the list?

Central side.

TAKING IT TO BOTH SIDES YEAHYUUUUUUZ.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Come over to Perth, Sieg, then I'll put you on the list :D While your at it, bring the rest of the scene over with you so we can has nationals kthx :p

BTW love the opening to Mic's video - for anyone interested, Pete actually got a strike off that bowl :p

Sieg

Smash Champion
Can has National?

I thought that was next year?

I'll def come if I have the money lol. Which I usually do.

Remind me to save.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Yeah, as far as I know Nationals are gonna be in 2011, but chances are high that the NvS will be still running then :D

Get all of Perth endlessly hassle me to save.
Will do :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
Updated the ruleset with the following change RE event cping:

On top of this, an event cannot be CPed if that side has already won in that event... Duh :p

Alzi

Smash Master
South should counterpick ping pong.

THIS IS SUCH A GOOD IDEA? Who's up for some intense ping pong?

I mean for once North woudn't **** the south so hard i think it would be fairly even?

South should counterpick that or Karate but we know north would win that because they have Jackie Chan in it.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Before I say anything, Braddles (NOR) and Quetz (SOR) have now been added to the team pools :p

SOUTH COUNTERPICK..............................

........................*drum roll*.............................

SQUASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, so some of you already knew, but I felt the need for a dramatic build up :p Known details so far:

- Teams of five people from each side... Obviously this makes it best of five, so first side to win three matches wins the event... There shouldn't need to be any reserves, but if extra people want to come along and cheer you're very welcome :D After the main games we may do something else (smashfest, anyone :D???)...
- Also obviously, we'll be playing proper squash... If you don't know how to play, you can research the rules here: http://www.guide-to-squash.org/wm/pages/rul1/rulintro.html (just click Cancel with that login box :p)... I only briefly ran through that site but it seemed pretty accurate :p I'll go through it when I have more time and see if there's any badly explained stuff in there... Plus, I know both sides have at least one person who should know the rules quite well :p
- It'll be on the 21st (Sunday) just after lunch... Venue is not yet decided, but it'll probably be between Blue Gum (my vote) or Leeming... Will ring up and see which venue can best accomodate us...
- As for the cost, it really shouldn't cost anymore than $5 per person + racquet hire ($2.20 @ Blue Gum) if you need it... Really, though, we'd probably only book out one or two courts for two hours, which should be in total under $50 easy :p

Okay, so there's the unofficial announcement :p I'll post a proper one with all the details and stuff within the next couple of days... Post here if you're intending on coming, regardless of if you're actually going to play or not, as we also need to get numbers for the after-event if one indeed happens :p

Alzi

Smash Master
You guys counterpicked a bad stage. Alzi has a advantage over this with his muscle cabilities allowing the ball to be smashed so hard against the wall that it will re bound so fast and fly throw your racket leaving a hole in it with a tad bit of steam coming out of the racket.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Just a quick note - if there's enough people interested I can arrange some squash practice/teaching for this Sunday to make sure everyone's clear on the rules (especially lets and strokes - will be a lot more lax with these I think :p) and can actually hit the ball :D North and South people are welcome, and if a certain someone brings Munchkin along with them we could even get a game or two of that going :DDD??? So leave a message if you're interested (it will be at Blue Gum though, that much I'm sure of... Will sort out time later :p)

I'm in, never played squash before but I'm always open to a new challenge. braddles is totally a squash pro isn't he? hehe
Yep, his addition into the scene will be an interesting one :D Looking forward to some epic rapeage from him, since IIRC Mirrabooka (good club) was going to throw him in Divvy 5 for his first season :p

You guys counterpicked a bad stage. Alzi has a advantage over this with his muscle cabilities allowing the ball to be smashed so hard against the wall that it will re bound so fast and fly throw your racket leaving a hole in it with a tad bit of steam coming out of the racket.
Come down then, Alzi - I will money match you for your computer at squash :D

MTGod

Smash Champion
If there's anything obvious I've missed, lemme know :p

LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE COMING OR NOT OR I'LL BUG YOU :DDDDD

EVENT TWO: SQUASHING THE COMPETITION!

Event: Squash
Date: Sunday, February 21
Time: 1pm start, approximately 3pm finish, possibly later.

Cost: Approximately $5 per person (DEFINITELY not more than $7 :p), + racquet hire if you need it

Teams: Each side will need to amass a team of 5 people from their pools. Once their team has been formed, they need to seed their players in terms of ability... This can easily be done on the day if need be as there will be enough time to have about 30-45 minutes of practice (the actual matches need to commence at 2pm at the latest!)...

Win conditions: first team to get three match victories wins (best of five matches, obviously).

PEOPLE ATTENDING (even if it's just to cheer people on :D):
NORTH
Trav (Lord Bowser)
Mic (Mic_128)
Andre (Muzga)

SOUTH
Jesse (MTGod)
Jon (Jesusface)
Sean (Fractal)

--------------------------------------------

Squash Rules: for a very basic and quick guide, visit the website here...

What's not mentioned in the guide:

- Each match will be best of 5 games (first to win 3 games)
- To win a game, you must be the first to reach 9 points (if point score is 8-8, the person who reached 8 points first gets to choose whether to play to 9 or 10 points).
- You can only win points if you win a rally that you served on.
- Whenever you win a rally, you serve the next one from the opposite box you served from last time. If you didn't serve last rally, you get to choose which box to serve from.
I will be holding a practice/teaching session for both NOR and SOR sides on the 14th February (this Sunday) at 1pm-2pm at Blue Gum as well... This will make sure that people are clear on how to play the game, and can ask any questions regarding it... Teams don't have to be decided by the 14th, so anyone can rock up, but feel free to use this day to determine ability of your team...

The cost for this will be no more than $5 + racquet hire if you need it, so let me know if you're thinking of coming along. If you've never played before, I highly recommend coming along!!!

MTGod

Smash Champion
Come down to the practice session this Sunday and we'll see how many Southies we get to choose from :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
DP With Purpose :D

The practice session for this Sunday has been moved to 10am, because afterwards we're gonna head down to Bob's place for some smash, and then head up to the Moon Cafe to watch Andre's band :p Off da chaiiin XD

So far for the Practice I have:
Me
Trav
Mic
Marty
Bob

Anyone else???

MTGod

Smash Champion
Fixed :D

Also squash practice this Sunday is now down in Rockingham, but the NvS event is still Blue Gum.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Thanks for coming down to the practice session yesterday guys, hope it helped learn to play the game :D

Now, the actual NvS event will be held this Sunday @ Blue Gum Squash Courts, 1pm, so we need to know who is available (so post here or let me know ASAP please!!!)... After Squash (and after dinner lol), Jon/Jesusface is having a European Game Night at his house, where Munchkin will make an appearance, so if you're up for that as well it gives extra incentive to come down even if you're not playing Squash (there's no venue fee lols)...

MTGod

Smash Champion
Each side will seed their players in terms of ability, and then the sides will play off so that best v best, second best v second best and so on for each side... Thus, a total of 5 matches will be played, and the side that wins 3 of those matches will win the event... Does that make sense???

As said in the OP, the meeting time is 1pm but the matches probably won't start before 1.30, so there is time for questions/practice/to choose and seed teams before the event actually begins :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
Bumping this:

Need to get some confirmations guys... If your name isn't below or has a [?] next to it I don't know if you're coming or not:

NORTH
Trav (Lord Bowser)
Mic (Mic_128)
Andre (Muzga)
[?] Brad (Braddles)

SOUTH
Jesse (MTGod)
Jon (Jesusface)
Marty (Marteh)
Josh (Quetzacoatl)
[?] Bob (Bsrk_)
Andy (Ghnaschnakoff)
Also just letting people know that Jon is having a board game night afterwards at 6pm where Munchkin will feature, so even if you don't come down to play squash you should come down and be social, and you're all welcome to come back to my place between the Squash and Game Night :p

MTGod

Smash Champion
YEEEEEEAH SOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP updated, North to announce their CP by Mar 14, and hold the event by Mar 21... Good luck North =]

BTW Jon expresses his thanks for coming to the game night, but hopes that next time you can join in with the other games as well (I did explain to him that that was an abnormally long game of munchkin though, and he agreed :p)

Top Bottom