• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
All HDTVs have lag when dealing with a low-resolution or interlaced signal. The cheaper they were when you bought them, the more likely they are to have really bad lag.

The main issue is that the signal is interlaced, and only CRT TVs are natively capable of deinterlacing, while everything else has to run the video through a filter; that takes time, potentially a lot if the manufacturers didn't write a quick filter, or if they added bells and whistles to make the picture look nicer (post-processing is great for movies, not so much for competitive video games).

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
The funny thing is I remember all this talk about HDTV's being the ones with lag. And well, the tiny bit of lag is probably better than the alternative since before I got the TV, I was running my PS3 through an old smaller TV, and had to run it through a VCR which even further distorted the picture.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Tiny bit of lag? I mean, granted, it probably won't matter as much if you just mash inputs until they happen, but potentially doubling the delay you feel on netplay or worse isn't what I would consider a tiny bit.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Tiny bit of lag? I mean, granted, it probably won't matter as much if you just mash inputs until they happen, but potentially doubling the delay you feel on netplay or worse isn't what I would consider a tiny bit.

Ugh, oh for crying out loud...Okay, well what would you recommend then for someone on a budget?

Crusayer

Smash Lord
If you're using a CRT (the big fat TVs), there's no lag with composite I believe. If you're gonna use one of those recording devices as listed by aisight, a CRT is your best choice.

A HDTV would lag when downgrading as he said and the recording devices don't support HDMI.

No regular TV store will sell a CRT if you don't have one. You'd have to look through thrift shops or through ebay and such.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Well, pretty much my options are use the TV downstairs that I normally use, run it through the VCR on the other one and make it pretty crappy picture quality, or unhook and drag the tiny like 14 inch one from my room downstairs that actually only has a White and Yellow connector, as opposed to a Red one. I'm kind of hoping to NOT have to buy another TV if at all possible.

Though...in theory, if input lag's going to be the problem, I could just save every single match and use this for the replays and stuff. Like could I, in theory disconnect the RWY cables when I play, then connect them to upload the replay? Since, y'know, input lag doesn't matter with replays, and all that. Just wondering if that's a possibility.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Yeah you could just record replays.

Cept you said you didn't want to use up room for replays.

That and you'd have to diligently save ALL your matches.

:phone:

If you're using a CRT (the big fat TVs), there's no lag with composite I believe. If you're gonna use one of those recording devices as listed by aisight, a CRT is your best choice.

A HDTV would lag when downgrading as he said and the recording devices don't support HDMI.

No regular TV store will sell a CRT if you don't have one. You'd have to look through thrift shops or through ebay and such.
I've gotten my last 3 CRT Tvs by seeing them on the side of the road, keep your eyes open imo.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Yeah you could just record replays.

Cept you said you didn't want to use up room for replays.

That and you'd have to diligently save ALL your matches.

:phone:

(Note: If anybody or any mod would like me to just drop this and keep it purely Persona and nothing else, just say so, and I'll understand and do it)

What I actually meant was that I wanted to be able to clear my replays after but well, still have said replays without them getting full on console. Either way I can't do anything about it today since my town's Source, Staples, and Walmart all had nothing and I'm gonna have to go into the city an check out Future Shop to get one.

Of course, they don't have the ones listed and just have things like these below (keeping in mind these are the cheapest ones):

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=b9dd1e146b5bd2126bcca5f6f1f01473en02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=95425daaf3e5fe8032696393b29fd43fen02

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/prod...spx?path=fd91404357be06684ea58cba122145eben02

So yeah, not impressed barring them being really good, lol.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
So after all that's said and done, have you actually been playing any P4A?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm...possibly. Not sure. I've been trying to find my Flash Drive since I found some hack Gameshark stuff for some old games I was gonna play around with. That and I'm having one of those nights where I don't really have an idea just what I feel like playing.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Ha, I know I should hop on, but I'm holding it off because when I was practicing last night I was dropping stuff left and right in just practice mode, let alone an actual battle so I'm all "I'm SO gonna get destroyed".

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Remember Livewire, losing is part of the learning process. Don't be afraid to lose, you'll learn more losing than in the matches you win.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I'd play but I don't want to leave the office with unfinished work. Have fun, everyone.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Alright, so we're in Sakurazaki's lobby now. The connection numbers seem right finally, so hopefully that's a good sign.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
No worries. And ha...that was uh, interesting a couple of times to say the least. Did much worse in some ways, but better in others with it oddly feeling like I did better in defense. Though maybe since I kept having this odd mental picture of someone yelling "BLOCK!!" constantly.

And sorry I suddenly disconnected too. My game froze and I had to quit from the Home menu for it to do anything, so I figured it best to kinda leave it for a bit.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Livewire if it helps I thought you were playing better today than I've ever seen you play.

Some stuff was questionable but I mean, thats how it is when learning.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Livewire if it helps I thought you were playing better today than I've ever seen you play.

Some stuff was questionable but I mean, thats how it is when learning.

Hmm...maybe it's all the AE2012 I've been playing lately, since I figured that game would help teach me patience and reads. And I've been doing some practice stuff with KOFXIII to try and help my execution with things I know so while I was forgetting my combos, I was trying to make my button presses deliberate. Well, except for when I got the Throw mixed up with A/B. Oops. :bee:

Top Bottom