• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Persona 4 Arena Ultimax: Out in NA, It's Time You Burn That Dread

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
I think it would've been better if you put the Fatal Counter requirement into the notation rather than having an intermission there just to say it.
I'm using iMovie, so if I did that, then the combo notations would be too small to read :/

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So uh, yeah. I'd definitely say my main is probably Yukiko now. Stuff with her just seems to "flow" and "make sense". Dunno, to me her Persona seems to fit the playstyle I have with her the best and I like the "ping ponging the opponent" bit she can kinda do. Either way, she's fun and despite her tier placement, I can see a bunch of potential for her. That being said, I can totally see why Aigis is where she is though, and why Akihiko's higher A. And side note, might try to mess around a bit with Labrys, don't know.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
YES!!!! MORE YUKIKOS TO FALL VICTIM TO THE MITSU ARMY!!!!

On a side note, due to my amazing ability to drop combos and annoy my friends with far more DPs than I should ever use, I now dub myself...

(NSFW)

****suru

Yes, I ripped off Kusoru. He's kind of a hero to me.

Edit: Huh, it seems to censor words even in the spoilers. Well if anyone can't figure it out I'll dodge the censor next time.

Sion

Island of Horizon
Hey guys, I finished my combo video!

I know it's short and unattractive (like me), but I put a lot of time into this, and I would appreciate some feedback and constructive criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hbvAGiINM&feature=plcp

Cray
good work!

a couple things:
i see what you were trying to do, but the small intermissions to note little things (fatal, awakening) interrupted the flow i usually see in combo videos. fatal/awakening combos should be pretty obvious anyways. while i did not know the true aim of your video, it seemed to be more of an informative combo compilation to me

notation is always nice to help out people who are too lazy to figure out what buttons you're pushing. god knows how many times i've rewatched a combo in a combo video just to find out its notation.

some of the commentary did add a bit of flavor

overall nice combos

@scamp

you mean more yukikos to fall victim to the shabrys army

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
At least Mitsuru can't cancel into beam super on block and have it be a legit idea.

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
Hey guys, I finished my combo video!

I know it's short and unattractive (like me), but I put a lot of time into this, and I would appreciate some feedback and constructive criticism.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hbvAGiINM&feature=plcp

Cray
I agree with the others, the notation and flow of it feels kinda weird when you have to say that it starts off of a fatal every time. You also have some weird font switching going on, not sure if intentional?

Also, I'm not really sure what your video was supposed to showcase in general: optimal combos? beginner combos? fatal combos? flashy combos? Not that it has to have a theme that ties everything together, but I saw a lot of different starters for the same combo, and I don't think that's an optimal Elizabeth combo either.

Overall, nice capture, editing, and music. Good job! :3

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
good work!

a couple things:
i see what you were trying to do, but the small intermissions to note little things (fatal, awakening) interrupted the flow i usually see in combo videos. fatal/awakening combos should be pretty obvious anyways. while i did not know the true aim of your video, it seemed to be more of an informative combo compilation to me

notation is always nice to help out people who are too lazy to figure out what buttons you're pushing. god knows how many times i've rewatched a combo in a combo video just to find out its notation.

some of the commentary did add a bit of flavor

overall nice combos

@scamp

you mean more yukikos to fall victim to the shabrys army

Silly Sion. Shabrys is so easy to Persona break, I find. She's like the only character that almost constantly has her Persona out.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
At least Mitsuru can't cancel into beam super on block and have it be a legit idea.
If Narukami's going to cancel DP into Ziodyne right away, he honestly still needs 50 extra meter for the OMC to make himself safe. If he doesn't, the opponent can get like 20 free meter into easy punish.
I agree with the others, the notation and flow of it feels kinda weird when you have to say that it starts off of a fatal every time. You also have some weird font switching going on, not sure if intentional?

Also, I'm not really sure what your video was supposed to showcase in general: optimal combos? beginner combos? fatal combos? flashy combos? Not that it has to have a theme that ties everything together, but I saw a lot of different starters for the same combo, and I don't think that's an optimal Elizabeth combo either.

Overall, nice capture, editing, and music. Good job! :3
I'm going to have to agree with Lythium here. It wasn't too bad, but if it was going for practical combos, there are better ones. If you're going for flashy ones, make it even crazier.
Silly Sion. Shabrys is so easy to Persona break, I find. She's like the only character that almost constantly has her Persona out.
Not for Yukiko. Plus that matchup is absolutely horrid for her.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
You haven't played any good S. Labbys that block with Asterios yet, have you Livewires?

xD

That, and just about every other defensive option of S. Labby pretty much shuts down anything else Yukiko does.

Smooth Criminal

Minato

穏やかじゃない
You haven't played any good S. Labbys that blocks with Asterios yet, have you Livewires?

xD

Smooth Criminal
What's sad is, Asterios rarely needs to block against Yukiko. lol
She has only a few moves that can break it, and only 2 or so are practical.

Smooth Criminal

Da Cheef
NNID
boundless_light
What's sad is, Asterios rarely needs to block against Yukiko. lol
She has only a few moves that can break it, and only 2 or so are practical.
True enough, Minato.

But in speaking of blocking with Asterios, it occurred to me that there is yet another reason why it's so potent against the likes of Yukiko aside from protecting from a constant Persona Break: The big honkin' bull will eat projectiles for Slabby in the process of blocking for itself, pretty much making Slabby nigh immune to projectiles and free to approach with mix-ups in tow.

It's not a good look for Yukiko no matter which way you slice it.

Smooth Criminal

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I haven't touched the game in awhile outside of story mode. I'm going to set up a lobby at 4 PST and send invites.
Just join if you want in or something.

Sion

Island of Horizon
i don't think i'm gonna touch netplay for a good while

my only half decent connection is you, minato, and even then it's a ~2 at best

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I haven't touched the game in awhile outside of story mode. I'm going to set up a lobby at 4 PST and send invites.
Just join if you want in or something.

Dunno if it's still open but since I just got in from getting my G License, I figure I'm in a groove and would be up for a couple matches.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
The main goal of the video was to provide some combos that dealt decent damage while still being meter efficient, aside from the one where I mentioned Chris G, that one took like, 50 meter for ~2700 damage. So yeah, I was trying to be more on the practical side.

As for the font switching, I didn't notice it until after it was uploaded x.x iMovie has a title and subtitle thing for the text boxes, and apparently the main title is bolded and the subtitle is not.

And about different setups for the same combo, i wasn't sure what else to end it with while still putting out optimal damage, so I just ended it with that :/

But thanks for the feedback guys! I'll be sure to address these if I decide to make another video :)

Also, the song is Pjanoo by Eric Prydz (one of my favorites :D )

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Good games everyone, I'd write more but I'm on my phone. Any tips anyone can offer?

:phone:

Crusayer

Smash Lord
Needs more stagger. Needs more of those ribbons. You always ended with the slam which doesn't really give you that much oki options. Though I haven't really seen much labby so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, lol @ that burst combo you let me do to end the match. Invalid to the max \o/.

Man, I wish I stayed longer. I would've been able to play Minato's narukami =/. Alas, dinner calls.

Livewire needs to learn how to hold buttons for Yukiko and this game has actual oki so stop jumping out and mashing.

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Good games everyone, I had a lot of fun but I had to go get dinner. My Liz is slowly getting better. Still kinda getting beat up on netplay too much for my liking, haha. It's just hard to get in when it counts and get opponents off of me.
Good games everyone, I'd write more but I'm on my phone. Any tips anyone can offer?

I don't play Labrys but I have been thinking about using her. Other than knowing how her axe colors work, the only other thing I know is her one shenanigan. Basically it's just OMCing just before the second hit of her 214A/B and then dashing in for a low.

Also Livewire, I suggest not mashing so much like in BB. You even mashed C every time on wake up and on hit, so all I did was just CH you on wakeup until your persona broke.

And against Crusayer's Chie, I got resetted all day. :ohwell:

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
Why would you even touch C on wakeup with Yukiko? Its range is amazing, but the attacks come out pretty slow, and they're really easy to break if you see them coming.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Needs more stagger. Needs more of those ribbons. You always ended with the slam which doesn't really give you that much oki options. Though I haven't really seen much labby so you can take my advice with a grain of salt. Also, lol @ that burst combo you let me do to end the match. Invalid to the max \o/.

Man, I wish I stayed longer. I would've been able to play Minato's narukami =/. Alas, dinner calls.

Livewire needs to learn how to hold buttons for Yukiko and this game has actual oki so stop jumping out and mashing.

But...I was holding a bunch of times...And admittedly the 2 or 3 times I did C on wakeup was a slip of the hand and not even intentional so...yeah.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Thanks for the tips. Yeah, I feel like I scrubbed out way too many of those matches. But I'm starting to feel better about my gameplay in general.

Crusayer

Smash Lord
I'd like a little tips too. Am I able to challenge labby's air attacks with anti-air? Or should I just always be spacing and keeping her on the ground?

What can I do after Liz's corner laser ender?

Minato

穏やかじゃない
I'd like a little tips too. Am I able to challenge labby's air attacks with anti-air? Or should I just always be spacing and keeping her on the ground?

What can I do after Liz's corner laser ender?
I think you're able to 2B Labrys's j.B, but Chie's 2B's hitbox is weird so I'm guessing you'd have to AA when you're right under her.
I'd just test it out in training mode by recording Labrys doing a j.B and trying to space and counter it. That's what I did for moves like that. If not, Chie could probably just focus on getting in when Labrys isn't jumping.

As for Liz's Ziodyne, if it's SB, you'll be paralyzed. So obviously just memorize Thanatos's 5D animation so you know when to short hop (not sure if you can roll to avoid it). You're able to mash to if you're quick enough, just be careful of 2C. If it's a regular Ziodyne, you're free to do whatever. And obviously don't try to guess and short hop since you can't block until you land. If she guessed a short hop, that's like 4k of damage at least.

Also, if it's a Ziodyne on block, A version has quick startup but long recovery while B version is the opposite.
You should be able to easily close in on her if it's the A version on block, even Narukami can just Ziocar fullscreen after block to punish.

As for general suggestions, I recommend just spamming 2 or so B+D's if you're so close to Awakening just for the free SP and defense as Chie.

sakuraZaKi

The Ultimate Sore Loser ♡
I'm filling in for my mom at the inn we run~
NNID
taeZaKi
3DS FC
3754-7545-6675
Ugh, sorry guys, duty called and I came back home tired as heck. Only got to play Jam Stunna once, but oh well.

Hopefully we can get more rooms up when I'm not occupied... Really wanted to see any Yukikos.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
Any Xbox people wanna start a lobby tonight? I could probably record it and upload it to YouTube.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Yes, I would like to play and KevMo would probably be up for it if he's around.

OBT

Savior of the Pandas
NNID
smuckersjam
Ok awesome! I'm out fishing right now, but when I get home I'll add you.

Top Bottom