• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach vs the shield

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
The reason I made this thread is beacuse a lot of people are not abusing the float mechanics and her autocanceling/low landing lag aerials enough. Peach has, without a doubt, the scariest shield pressure game out of the whole cast, with so many unpredictable and safe mix-ups. I'm going to go character specific on which options are the best, at any percent. I will use frame data, hitboxes and character mechanics from both sides of the match up to back this up.

Some info before I get started:
For frame data and checking what characters can do OoS)
1 second = 60 frames in the game
Shield drop = 7 frames
Jump = 5 frames, you can use aerial on frame 6

First of all, which are her safest moves on shield? These are the ones that stand out:

Fair
Duration: 54
Hits on Frame: 16 (max range @ 17)
Hitbox Duration: 16-19 (4)
Aerial Cooldown: 35
Landing Lag: 22
Autocancels on Frame: 20

Shield stun: 5
Optimal Shield Advantage (assumes hitting with F17 hitbox): 0, -2
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: +7, +5

This is ridiculous. Try to find another character with a move that can produce advantages like this. Practice autocanceling this move as late as posiple to get the best shield advantage (without fast falling because that adds 2 hard landing!). After this move hits a shield in these circumstances, your opponent is still in his shield and your free to do anything. Fair has great shield knockback too which further limits OoS options. This move, on its own, is unpunishable on shield when auto canceled correctly (against most characters even when spaced badly).

The options after the fair
- Jab (frame 2): Low risk, low reward. This or a spotdodge are the best options when spaced very badly and should avoid you being punished by a shield grab as long as you don't get predicted.
- Dtilt (frame 12): after the Fair is simply amazing. The start-up of this move is a non-issue because your opponent can't hit you before it comes out when spaced well (most of the cast). Don't use this when the fair isn't spaced well the start-up when becomes an issue. OoS aerials will also lift then above the hitbox so use the dtilt slide to evade/punish them.
- Dash grab (frame 6): This may sound silly but I've had great succes with this mix-up. Spotdodge is the last thing you opponent will want to do after the fair connects and the dash-grab is very fast so you can't do it on reaction. A buffered (or very short dash) dash grab won't work when the fair is spaced very well. This is good when you can take the risk (no kill percents) and your opponent is in chain grab percentages.
- Gound float nair (frame 8) After you land dash, ground float, nair and drop asap. If they predict you they most can shield grab you before the nair but even that is hard. This is AMAZING vs tether grabs they can't shield grab and mostly won't have a fast enough option that comes out fast enough. This extra nice when they are in kill percentages, when a jab lock can be initiated or it can be combo'ed into something else.
- Float (5 frame jump + air frames): When spaced nicely just jump up and float they try to do anything rash evade and dair. Plain, simple and very safe but no immediate reward.

Dair
Duration: 39
Hits on Frame: 12, 18, 24, 30
Hitbox Duration: each hitbox lasts 2 frames
Aerial Cooldown: 8
Landing Lag: 9
Autocancels on Frame: 32

Shield Stun: 1
Optimal Shield Advadvantage: -9
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: -2
Optimal Shield Advantage Autocanceled: -3 (-5 hard landing)
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage Autocanceled: +4, +2

Look at that autocancel advantage. Then look at that cooldown. Then think of the pay off when it hits. This move is screaming broken. This move can't really be 'spaced' well when going for the early autocancel, but that doesn't really matter when you can continue the pressure so fast. When in float when you DI away after the last hit, it is unpunishable on shield (mainly due to the evasiveness of float and how it eliminates OoS options). To autocancel this correctly drop soon-ish in a normal level float, Sh ff it or something else.. just learn how to autocancel this well.

When you autocancel this correctly and land in front of someone it becomes CQC (close quarter combat): The dair itself can't be punished and you are both in the same position.. BUT your opponent is still in his shield. This means Peach has the advantage of not having his options limited by shield and Peach has an amazing CQC game (though reward isn't normally too baffeling). Good, but not amazing.

When you land behind the opponent you're at a great advantage. They are again forced in their shield but they are facing the wrong way round. This means that any further pressure you do to their shield can't be shield grabbed in between hits. Your best options are the following.

Ground float bair (11 frames) nair (8 frames): These are very safe on shield with shield grab eliminated. Bair is slower but has 2 frames less landing lag, it really doesn't matter too much.
Stutter step backwards Fsmash (15 frames + 2 frames): This is pretty cool at kill percents. The stutter step spaces you better and makes it hard for your opponent to hit you before the hitbox comes out. The fsmash itself can be punished though so there is risk to it.
Ground float Uair (13 frames): very nice vs taller characters to start a uair string (below tumble percentages) or to start a juggle. Only 9 frames of (landing)lag so unpunishable in most cases.
Sh dair (17 frames): 2 dairs = good chance of a shield break, and if that doesn't do it you can nair before you land. Slow start up like fsmash but at low percentages great pay off. It beats shield and spotdodge but loses to slow OoS options before it comes out.
Grab (6 frames): Very, very solid. They won't be able to punish before it comes out so you force a spotdodge. Nice pay off at chain grab percentages.
Dsmash (6 frames): Will beat spotdodoge, will poke shield, fast. Low reward at high percents, oke to good reward at low percents.

Things not to use:
Jab: Reward is way too low for a cross-up with such an amazing shield advantage.
Dtilt: You're very close to the opponent so it can't be spaced well making the start up an issue. Ground float nair/bair/uair have less lag too.
Float: You're a sitting duck when floating too near by. Baiting is less effective because you have to pay more attention to what they do OoS instead off being completly out of their range).

Stuff on float dair:
After you dair a shield in float, your opponent will have more than enough time to counter attack before another dair has the chance to come out (exept Jiggs, Link and Ganon due to bad OoS options). The thing is though, your opponent does not know if you are going for a (12 frame start up) dair or fast fall from the float and use a (frame 3) nair. The nair will come out before they can do anything (shieldgrab is possible, but very tricky) so if they try to punish, they get hit. But if they stay in their shield, you could perform another dair and they get a poked/broken shield. It's basically a guessing game where you always have the advantage. You can also just float away instead or nairing, you will be far away enough to not get hit by a OoS option.

There is a risk when going for another Dair. Some characters have very nasty moves that can hit you before the dair comes out. Some things you should look out for when you are in kill percentages are Fox Usmash, Zelda Usmash, Ice Climbers Usmash. These can be performed OoS will jump canceling. Other character can use a damaging or comboing aerial too (like G&W nair) so like before, judge the risk-reward ratio. Ona side note some bad players won't be able to counter attack inbetween the dairs even though their character can. If they roll away try to chase with a fair/bair.

Nair
Duration: 49
Hits on Frame: 3
Strong Hitbox Duration: 3-6 (4)
Weak Hitbox Duration: 7-23 (17)
Aerial Cooldown: 26
Landing Lag: 11
Autocancels on Frame: 36

Shield Stun: 4, 3
Optimal Shield Advantage: -7
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: 0

Specifically Ground float nair to instant drop. Another move with a ridiculous shield advantage. Try to perform the aerial as close as possible to the ground for the best shield advantage.

Characters that can't shield grab a well spaced nair due to grab range or sliding mechanics:
(from best chance to worst chance) (all have 6 frame grab)
Pit
MK
Jigglypuff
Ike
Sonic
Pika
Sheik
Lucario
Wolf
ICs
Mario
Luigi
G&W
Captain Falcon
Ganon

Characters that can't shield grab due to slow grab:
Olimar
ZSS
Samus
Link
Lucas
Toon Link
Yoshi
Ivysaur
Snake (frame 8)
DK (frame 8)
Bowser (frame 9)
Zelda (frame 12)

The rest (still requires VERY tight timing to shield grab before we jab/spotdodge):
DDD
Charzard
Squirtle
Marth
Diddy
Snake
Kirby
ROB
Peach
Fox
Falco
Ness
Wario

So basically tethers get destroyed, you can do:
Dash grab: They can do much but spotdodge. Attempt when the reward is high enough
Dash attack: Second hit will hit the spotdodgers and its pretty safe on shield. ^see the perfect circle?
Bait with float: Make them move first and opportunize.

Against the others Jab/spotdodge/shield and enter the CQC guessing game.

Bair
Duration: 55
Hits on Frame: 6
Strong Hitbox Duration: 6-8 (3)
Weak Hitbox Duration: 9-19 (11)
Aerial Cooldown: 36
Landing Lag: 9
Autocancels on Frame: 20

Shield stun: 5, 2
Optimal Shield Advantage: -4 (hard hit then land)
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage: +3
Optimal Shield Advantage Autocanceled: 0 (weak hit bair -> ac landing)
Optimal Shield Drop Advantage Autocanceled: +7

Ok so there is one very wierd thing about this move. The landing animation makes Peach jump forward (direction of the bair that is) quite a bit. Why is this usetul? When up-close this makes cross-ups very easy. Cross ups are **** and a ground float bair to drop gives you a -4 disadvantage (which is basically a massive advantage when you are behind someone's shield). DI behind you opponent during the start-up of the move to make sure you land behind them. This doesn't work vs IC's and Luigi they slide too far when the bair connects with their shield. If the cross-up failed (you were too far away or didn't DI enough) buffer a turnaround jab or spotdodge to avoid grab. Try attempting this when both players are staying in their shield (this is fast and will beat spotdodges and their shield will already be weakened).

Options after cross-up:
Dsmash (6 frames): Will beat spotdodoge, good chance to poke shield, poke shield, fast. Low reward at high percents, oke to good reward at low percents.
Ground float nair to jab: Yeah not too much they can do about this.

Dtilt:
Duration: 27
Hits on Frame: 12
Hitbox Duration: 12-13 (2)
Cooldown: 14

Shield Stun: 3
Shield Advantage: -13
Shield Drop advantage: -6

There has been a lot of hype around this move recently.. and for good reason. Very safe on shield when spaced well. Use the dtilt slide if you haven't spaced it well. Not much to say here.

6/2/10 - Stuff on float dair added

************W.I.P.************

-Cross-

Smash Ace
The problem with not FF'ing fairs for the optimal autocancel frames is you become very predictable with regards to the timing of the fair. However, mixing this up with FF fairs will let you have the advantage and the opponent will hardly be able to tell when you FF or not.

Also consider is it possible to hit with the hitbox that comes out on the 19th frame? I do not think so, it's more likely that we are just hitting with the fair 17th frame or something, this would affect some of her options.

Great thread btw, Peach definitely has potential and this thread shows exactly why. Good read and keep up the good work

Edit: I think you should analyze advantages if an opponent perfect shields fair, which is very possible at high levels of play. Maybe it should be a later thing you analyze but maybe its best you look at it while you have fair up.

Basically do characters have advantages if they PS Peach's fair? And how much of an advantage? PS'ing is **** but you still suffer the same shield drop frames so shield grabbing does not become an issue with good spacing, I'm just wondering about the amount of shield stun done by fair if it is PS'd, because the shield stun varies depending on the move even if its a PS. Example) Samus Fully charged Shot keeps people in their shields longer than Falco's laser if they are both PS'd. So would Peach's fair still have enough shield stun to give her an advantage vs PS'ing?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
This is fantastic.

Also, I second the investigation into PS'd fair.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
The cool thing about aerials is that you do not suffer shield hitlag. Ground moves are trickier to claculate the advantage but with aerials its pretty strait forward. Fair PS'd gives one frame of shield stun, before it was 5 frames so basically take 4 frame off all those numbers. It's basically also really safe on shield even when powershielded. Space it well though, or they will have just enough time to shieldgrab (but most likely super armor a jab in the process).

Turnips are whats really important though, they have amazing shield stun and combined with our forward glide toss we might just have shield combos like in melee (unheard of in brawl).

I will add some stuff on dair to dair or nair psych outs and the character specific ways of getting around this (or that they have no ways of getting around this ;D)

-Cross-

Smash Ace
The only problems seem to be with turnip is that Peach is stuck in her throwing animation. Btw I am looking for shield combos for regular turnips since they are the ones used most, all the other ones seem to have amazing shield combos (aside from saturn lol).

Point Blank Turnip Shield Advantages
Smash throw point blank
Normal: -5
Winking: -3
Dot: +2
Stitch: +16
Mr. Saturn: -9

Normal throw point blank
Normal: -8
Wink: -3
Dot: 0
Stitch: +14
Mr. Saturn: -10

These are the throw data from HG's thread and it does not seem to show much hope for shield combos for regular turnips. But I have some ideas regarding this.
It seems that Peach's ground back throw starts 3 frames after her forward throw but ends on the same frame, woudn't that give her 3 more frames advantage? And that would make her have a -2 shield advantage? Not a shield combo yet but jab will beat out grabs much more easily.

I think her shield combos would be in her aerial throws. D-throw turnip point blank+nair will beat out everything. You get a 2 frame advantage and nair comes out frame 3, so even spotdodge will be beaten out by nair. Yay first shield combo?

A question I have is when you hit somebody's shield with, say, nair while you are floating can you hit their shield and keep floating in a direction while you hit their shield? I'm thinking nair while floating on shield and just keep floating behind them to avoid the shield grab and then punish. Possible?

Also are you sure about no shield hit lag with aerials? This is from Marth boards and their frame data shows that aerials have shield hit lag. Could only certain aerials not have shield hitlag?
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=204825

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
This is true, I was all on this yesterday. Thats why I decided to be teachical and it works, just need better control. Wish I had some vids from yesterday. Done right, people just can't do anything.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman

Shield advantage:
Normal: 0
Winking: +3
Dot: +8
Stitch: +21

So back throw will give a +3 frame advantage, this means that forward back glide toss cross-up pretty mush guarentees a buffered dash grab. Another amazing cross-up OoS option (the other being ground float bair).

Lets keep this up guys!

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Can you count dash grab as just 6 frames? I'm pretty sure it takes a couple of frames to start the dash, so wouldn't it be 6+dash start up frames?

And are you sure aerials have no shield hitlag?

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Stitchface is +21 shield advantage?

Does that mean that glide tossed stitchface to grab is guaranteed if they shield it because they're stuck in shieldstun?

If so, get ***** Wario 0_o

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Can you count dash grab as just 6 frames? I'm pretty sure it takes a couple of frames to start the dash, so wouldn't it be 6+dash start up frames?

And are you sure aerials have no shield hitlag?
Yes, when buffered the dash has no start up.

The shieldhitlag is pretty neglectable on peach's moves. Even fair only has 2 frames shieldhitlag.

@Praxis this is true, but why Wario? lol

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Because grabbing Wario = win. :3

I guess the question is whether or not the stitchface'll shield push them too far away to grab before the shieldstun wears off.

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
If you're glide tossing forward this shouldn't be a problem. Wario also doesn't get his shield pushed back a lot so just dash grab that sucker.

Forward glide toss back throw OoS cross up is amazing seriously. Its fast, unpredictable and gets a grab even when it hits a shield.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
2 frames isn't a lot but when you are talking about Brawl where shield grabbing is amazing, 2 frames could make your break Peach in CQC shield games. I just kinda feel that I need to re-iterate the point that while, Peach by far has one of the best/safest approaches on shield, it is not as safe as we think it is. Whatever, spacing beats shield grab so it shouldn't matter ;)

While moves shield poke besides Peach's dair? I'm guessing Dtilt or D-smash, any others? Also aside from winking, dot, and stitchface. Every other turnip is considered normal correct?

hotgarbage

Smash Lord
First off excellent thread :bee:. Peach really does have a lot of potential in this area

The cool thing about aerials is that you do not suffer shield hitlag.
Minor correction though :p. You suffer shield hitlag for every attack aside from projectiles. The only exception to this that I can think of is MK's nado.... but then again you may be able to define the hitbox as a projectile hitbox; come to think of it it sure acts like one.
It seems that Peach's ground back throw starts 3 frames after her forward throw but ends on the same frame, woudn't that give her 3 more frames advantage? And that would make her have a -2 shield advantage? Not a shield combo yet but jab will beat out grabs much more easily.
Yeah this is correct. Good idea xD.

I think her shield combos would be in her aerial throws. D-throw turnip point blank+nair will beat out everything. You get a 2 frame advantage and nair comes out frame 3, so even spotdodge will be beaten out by nair. Yay first shield combo?
This should work as well. Another good idea!

As Corrupted pointed out if you buffer it'll be 6 frames. Otherwise though yeah, it'll be 7 frames at least.

Stitchface is +21 shield advantage?

Does that mean that glide tossed stitchface to grab is guaranteed if they shield it because they're stuck in shieldstun?

If so, get ***** Wario 0_o
Stitch or dot turnip on shield nets you a free grab iirc. Winking can if you do it right, and even normal turnips can if used very specifically.

While moves shield poke besides Peach's dair? I'm guessing Dtilt or D-smash, any others? Also aside from winking, dot, and stitchface. Every other turnip is considered normal correct?
I've heard people complain about fair shield poking :V. Yeah, every other turnip is considered normal.

Thibault

Smash Apprentice
what is CQC and whats a cross up?

I've heard people complain about fair shield poking :V. Yeah, every other turnip is considered normal.
Yeah it does, i will often sh and do a floated retreating fair and shieldpoke even when the shield still covers the part that is hit

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
2 frames isn't a lot but when you are talking about Brawl where shield grabbing is amazing, 2 frames could make your break Peach in CQC shield games. I just kinda feel that I need to re-iterate the point that while, Peach by far has one of the best/safest approaches on shield, it is not as safe as we think it is. Whatever, spacing beats shield grab so it shouldn't matter ;)

Dsmash pokes a LOT, and saps shields even if they angle it.

A cool thing about SH dair is that you can buffer a float and the dair will end at exactly ground height- you'll float right before you touch the ground.

SH dair on shield, crossing up to end behind them, with float > bair buffered, releasing bair to dsmash is a guaranteed shieldbreak if they angle their shield, and a shieldpoke if they don't.

Some characters can spotdodge out of dsmash though.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
what is CQC and whats a cross up?
CQC means Close Quarter Combat. I actually never heard the term before until I came to Peach boards. Does not seem to be a very well-known term in Smash at least, probably some other games

Cross up is taken from games like Street Fighter, where you attack and land behind the opponent. The reason for the tactic is almost completely different for Smash as compared to SF, but still pretty useful. In Smash terms, you would do an attack and end up behind the opponents shield. This is a good tactic, because you essentially avoid the opponents fastest and best option, a shield grab, because you are not in front of them anymore, and thus makes them use slower options. This opens up more options for Peach to continue pressuring the opponent with. Keep in mind some characters can still deal with opponents if they are at their backside, and the difference from most characters options compared to shield is only a couple of frames 2-4, small but still useful.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
Bump

How much shield stun is z-drop? Does it vary the farther the turnip falls? How much better is double hit nair or bair on shield? Is it good shield degradation if not safe?

Double post :p

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Pretty sure z-drop normal turnip has 5 frames of shield stun. Not sure how much lag zdrop has though (6 frames?).

Double hit nair/bair on shield means less shield stun, tiny bit less shield hit lag, same landing lag, and its easier to punish on reaction. Nice for breaking shield since those 2 don't poke so well.

Nicole

Smash Champion
I just want to say: this is a great thread, and should be on the first page of the Peach boards :)

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
Thank you.

I'll be making some threads soon that are going to blow your minds.

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
Dsmash pokes a LOT, and saps shields even if they angle it.

A cool thing about SH dair is that you can buffer a float and the dair will end at exactly ground height- you'll float right before you touch the ground.

SH dair on shield, crossing up to end behind them, with float > bair buffered, releasing bair to dsmash is a guaranteed shieldbreak if they angle their shield, and a shieldpoke if they don't.

Some characters can spotdodge out of dsmash though.
the problem is spacing the sh dair so you don't get shield grabbed out of it b/c u have to be pretty close to even pull this off or have u found a way to not get your sh dair ***** as ur crossing someone up?

Corrupted

Smash Journeyman
If you do a buffered dair and buffer a float you don't end at ground hight btw.

And you can buffer anything when you are in float. You can buffer the float itself. This is to prevent item throw glitches i guess.

^ thats the thing they can 1: anticipate where you are going to land and peach doesn't have the aerial mobility to be unpredictable is that way. 2: they can just ftilt/fair w/e you on reaction because the vertical hitbox sucks of course 3: you have to be very close and its a 18 frame cqc option (realyrealy bad).

And besides I always try to have a turnip in my hand so..

Deathfox30

Smash Journeyman
How bad is a buffered ground float uair? You can jab cancel grab out of it until like 45% (you have to buffer a dash grab after like 30%). I do it a lot to punish spot dodges. It always works, then again, it is wifi. Dx I play a lot of MK's, and I've done it up to 45% on them. After testing it in practice mode it looks like you can jab them out of a Uair until at least 60%. I'm doing this on MK, btw. This looks like it could possibly be a bair lock setup if they miss the tech, but idk. Dx Too dumb for frame chizz.

I tried this on Marth and you can hit with a jab until 25%. At 26% you can do a D tilt, which will spike. I'm not sure when they can jump out but I got this to work to 34% then I got bored. Good bair lock set up or no? I also managed to do Uair > U tilt until 63% I'm sure they could jump out before you could do rising aerials though. :[

For the other hitbox, I tried Pit. I was able to spike him starting as 27%. I stopped at 45%. You can sweet spot and Up Smash up until like 54% U tilt until 68%

I just found this while I was looking for bair trap set ups. F tilt > D tilt has worked like this in real matches. :D

I know it'll be pretty hard to land a ground floated Uair on a good player and pretty dangerous. Maybe you could do it after a crossover or something. D tilt might work too. D Tilt > Uair > D tilt > Bair Trap? You can also do Uair > D tilt at the edge to spike. This probably won't be all that good, but maybe somewhat useful. Dx

-Ran

Smash Master
Amazing work guys. Now I can show a Peach Melee player in our area that Peach still has an amazing shield pressure game. =d

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
i wonder if it's possible to shield grab a double hit nair when you float at the lowest possible height that allows u to get both hits which is just above ground float. Even if they powershield the first hit can we be shield grabbed before the 2nd hit connects on shield? I know that normally we could be grabbed out of peach's decent like all of her other aerials but if we keep the float low cud double hit nair be punished w/ grab?

Razmakazi

Smash Champion
all you do is release your float as you're nairing.

edit: or bairing.

the strong hit of nair tends to knock ppl out of the 2nd hit's range around mid percent but you can get both hits of bair in at like every percent.

Top Bottom