• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Peach tournament discussion.

gantrain05

Smash Master
Ok, so i was at my first local brawl tourney, and since peach is one of my favorite smash characters, i thought i'd like to see how you guys are doing with peach in tourneys, i only played a doubles there where i played fox and my partner was wolf, but after that i was playing alot of friendlies with peach and was doing very well so i'm curious, are there any other of you peach mains out there doing well in tourneys? i wanna see her moving up on that tier list.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I got forth...
In a 30 person tourney...
A month after the game was out...
With Smash Balls...

BentoBox

Smash Master
Got first in a bad tourney with smashballs :[ There were about 20 persons in it so meh. There's a big tourney on july 3rd in which a bit more than 50 ppl will attend, hope I'll do fine. I actually have no experience agaisnt more than half of the cast lol.

Dark.Pch

Smash Legend
NNID
Dark.Pch
3DS FC
5413-0118-3799
Only Been to 2 brawl tournaments. Here is my record.

Montage Presents: The Peak, Already? Princeton. May, 17, 2007

9th out of 62th

NYC smash weeklies. June, 13, 2007

10th out of 30th

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I've really only gotten truly good with Peach in the last month- my tournament rankings have been all over the place. I tend to be rather inconsistent- I beat the crap out of several people high on the PR list, but lose to people that aren't even close to PR level. lol

There hasn't been a tourney in a while so I'm looking forward to the next one. Best I've gotten so far was 2nd in doubles.

Taldarin

Smash Cadet
As I stated in another thread, I've got a 3rd place and a 1st place here in socal... The other tourney I got 25th x) (out of 50 though, definitely wasn't last lol) but I've gotten way better since that 25th place =P

Tournament tomorrow, hopefully I'll place well...

DeadlyTurnip

Smash Journeyman
I've been to a bunch of 'em I just cant remember them all.

Azn4's Tournament:
Way down there, that tourney was all pro. I think Lovage won it.
Lost twice in a row, I didn't mind I got to fight this awesome Peach the most aggressively I've ever had and was happy that someone told me I had a nice Peach, although I lost. ^^
Ah and I got to see Eddress play too.

Some Play&Trade tournamets:

-17/45

-30/35 Got taken down by Connor's MK, then by Hugs' R.O.B. -o-' awesome matches though.

Those are the only ones I can remember my ending position of.

gantrain05

Smash Master
well so far this looks good, peach mainers seem to be actually placing alot higher than i thought. theres a monthly tourney around my area, i didn't enter as peach b4 because i wasn't sure of my peach skills, but next month im definatley goin in as peach. i think if we keep trying i think peach really does have the potential to make high tier and i believe alot of people underestimate her.

Artaclaris

Smash Cadet
I've been to a bunch of 'em I just cant remember them all.

Azn4's Tournament:
Way down there, that tourney was all pro. I think Lovage won it.
Lost twice in a row, I didn't mind I got to fight this awesome Peach the most aggressively I've ever had and was happy that someone told me I had a nice Peach, although I lost. ^^
Ah and I got to see Eddress play too.

Some Play&Trade tournamets:

-17/45

-30/35 Got taken down by Connor's MK, then by Hugs' R.O.B. -o-' awesome matches though.

Those are the only ones I can remember my ending position of.
I have a friend on my friend list named connor that uses Mk and I got him off of this site. Wonder if its the same guy? I can destroy his mk though so I don't know.

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
I managed to get 2nd on a tournament with almost 70 people. I was mainly using Peach, and only used other characters (like Fox and Toon) on counterpicks. On my other tournaments I haven't been using only Peach, but I still used her in most of the matches. I have placed Top 5 on every tourney at least.

I can't stand MK, Marth nor Snake. I feel at a disadvantage when I play against this characters with Peach. :(

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I managed to get 2nd on a tournament with almost 70 people. I was mainly using Peach, and only used other characters (like Fox and Toon) on counterpicks. On my other tournaments I haven't been using only Peach, but I still used her in most of the matches. I have placed Top 5 on every tourney at least.

I can't stand MK, Marth nor Snake. I feel at a disadvantage when I play against this characters with Peach. :(
Believe it or not, Snake's actually at a significant disadvantage against Peach if you adopt a special playstyle against him. I've beaten the best Snake player in WA (Kamaji) before, but I've never even won a friendly against brdy's MetaKnight :(

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord
Did you play 2nd WITH Peach? What was the tournament? :O
It was a tournament of the Brawling for EVO series done here in PR. This tournaments are being done with the purpose of sending the Top 4 players to play at EVO 2008. I placed 2nd and had to play against lots of good and talented people from PR. Some of the guys I fought at that tournament were:

HDL
Uriel
Eval
Dman
Negi
Yubi

Maybe you don't recognize some of this guys since some of them haven't got the chance to go outside of PR to play, but I can assure you, they are good. Btw I probably placed this good with Peach since they were almost no Metaknight players in my bracket lol.

Believe it or not, Snake's actually at a significant disadvantage against Peach if you adopt a special playstyle against him. I've beaten the best Snake player in WA (Kamaji) before, but I've never even won a friendly against brdy's MetaKnight :(
Peach has less disadvantage against Snake than against a MK that's for sure. But the only problem here is that Snake is incredibly hard to KO, and Peach doesn't have much KOing power. On the other side, Snake can KO Peach so easily that it's just frustrating. If you want to win this match you need to play incredibly defensive and try to evade all of Snake's attacks.

Niko_K

Smash Master
My tournament record so far is as followed:

SBAN1: 3rd out of 19

SBAN2: 3rd out of 18

SBAN3: 4th out of 16

SBAN4: 4th out of 22

SBAN5: 13th out of 46

SBAN6: 7th out of 24

Thats all I can remember for now.

gantrain05

Smash Master
yeah, thats completely true, if u play peach well snake is at a pretty big disadvantage vs peach. MK is a different story tho, he's just a pain in the *** in general, luckily MK isn't too hard to ko upwards, which is where alot of peach's KO potential lies.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
Are you guys submitting the results to the Ranking Thread? Or are these tourneys you mention rather old?

PEACHYprincess

Smash Apprentice
Anyone know when the next tourney will be up?
I've never been in one but they look like a lot of fun!
I would also like to get Peach as far as she can.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I've really only gotten truly good with Peach in the last month- my tournament rankings have been all over the place. I tend to be rather inconsistent- I beat the crap out of several people high on the PR list, but lose to people that aren't even close to PR level. lol

There hasn't been a tourney in a while so I'm looking forward to the next one. Best I've gotten so far was 2nd in doubles.
This is me. I think thats the curse of using Peach, she's got some weird matchup issues with some characters, and can take on a bunch of good ones.

I've been playing 7 out 50, 2 out of 20, 9 out of 35, etc..usually around there pretty consistently in Socal tournies.

I disagree with you guys about Meta and Snake. I actually think the Meta matchup is significantly in Peach's favor, and I have no trouble with the vast majority of metaknight players, and even the real real good ones it's really close and goes either way. Snake is what bugs me. Don't have to worry about it anymore though - using my falco on them :D

Peachy Princess - there's a HUGE tourney in Socal at Nexus this weekend. I noticed you live in CA, so if you're anywhere near San Bernadino/Riverside you should check it out , it's going to be a big tourney this Saturday.

hova

Smash Champion
i've gotten 4th in teams at three separate tournies , one was plus 80(my partner's a marth... melee!! count it!!)

i actually only really played once in singles thus far, this past weekend

7th out of thirty or forty something, lost to M2k's MK... and then his teams partner

i still don't believe there is a significantly bad match up for peach, but it's early so we'll see. a lot of slight disadvantages, but all easily winnable if you're the better player

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
Peach has less disadvantage against Snake than against a MK that's for sure. But the only problem here is that Snake is incredibly hard to KO, and Peach doesn't have much KOing power. On the other side, Snake can KO Peach so easily that it's just frustrating. If you want to win this match you need to play incredibly defensive and try to evade all of Snake's attacks.

That's the reason Peach's have such a hard time against Snake. Snake is even more defensive than Peach. His tilts don't work when he's moving, so it's much better for a Snake player to litter the stage with traps and get you to come to him. The difference between Peach and Snake is that, thanks to the Snakedash, Snake can continue being on the defensive WHILE ATTACKING. Snakedash into your opponent and defend yourself with usmash while you slide and then start tilting. It's a vicious combination.

Unlike Meta, Snake's got a LOT of open spots that can be exploited if you figure out his defensive pattern and alternate between aggressive and defensive play. Play defensively till a hole opens up and then go extremely aggressive. Why do I say extremely? Because once Snake's in the air, he's at a huge disadvantage and you have to exploit it as much as possible before he gets himself settled and still on the ground where he can tilt you.

I do agree that Snake's KO power is very frustrating compared to Peach's lack of it, but Peach can combo Snake very, very well and get that damage up fast, and he IS gimpable in a non-traditional way.

I'm going to write a Snake guide at some point I guess. But some main things to pay attention to:

1) Peach's Bair erases Snake's usmash. If he Snakedashes and you're short on time, Bair it. It'll erase the missle and knock him out of the Snakedash.

2) Peach's Dair will pull Snake out of a Snakedash if used right, and Snake is VERY easily combo'd. I can do ~40-50% starting damage on Kamaji if I get him in a Dair initially. Dair is your best friend in this fight, and easily your best approach (or float to Fair).

3) Peach's Fair is excellent for Snakes who erect a usmash wall (constantly usmash). As soon as a Snake usmashes, learn the amount of time you have, jump in their and hit him with a fair and back out before the missle lands. Do it ASAP because after he ends his firing animation he can utilt you into the missle if you get too close.

4) Once you get a Snake off of the stage go crazy aggressive. Don't necessarily chase after them but rain turnips off of the stage. The moment a Snake up-B's they are INCREDIBLY vulnerable to Peach. Peach's fair knocks him out of the up-B, and the Snake can't actually attack you back without dropping the up-B and not getting it back (thus dying), so he generally has to just take the hit. Throwing turnips will keep him from getting back with his second jump and force him to use up-B, at which point you chase after him and do as much damage as possible (or grab him if he passes a ledge). Kamaji figured this out fast and always recovers high, but then I can engage him in the air as he falls. Uair to Nair works pretty well- if he aerial dodges the uair the nair gets him.

5) Remember the grab trick! Grab snake out of his up-B on a ledge and let him get out on his own without doing any damage.

6) Send every uncooked grenade back at him. Cook the grenades yourself if you have time. It'll make him think twice about using grenades.

7) Snakes expect you to be afraid of their C4. Don't be. While you shouldn't stand on it alone, if Snake's using it as cover just dive into it. He's not going to blow himself up too and you can always float over the C4 or air dodge when he goes "NOW". They're often thrown for a loop if you aggressively dive past the C4 and pound on them because they expect it to give them some breathing room. Instead, KEEP the fight by the C4, throw the Snake at the C4, and keep him in the air as long as possible.

8) KEEP HIM IN THE AIR. Snake's going to try to land as soon as he can, so take advantage of that (dash attack him right before he touches the ground, for example). As long as he's in the air, you have the advantage. Just don't get so aggressive that you jump in front of his Fair and get spiked.

9) Turnips. Use them wisely, but don't abuse them. Snake punishes the glide toss with his ftilt way too easily so don't glidetoss into his face. Throw turnips at range when he's playing defensively, then switch from turnips to aggressive mode when he makes a slip. Once you get him off a ledge launch turnips like a madman to force his angle of approach and make him come on low so you can get a good shot at him when he up-B's.

10) Go for the gimp kills. Grab him out of the cypher, or keep Fairing him out of the cypher till he can't make it up. You may or may not knock him off the side but you can prevent his recovery over and over till he falls off the bottom.

That's how I do it, anyway :) Hope it helps someone.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
I disagree with you guys about Meta and Snake. I actually think the Meta matchup is significantly in Peach's favor, and I have no trouble with the vast majority of metaknight players, and even the real real good ones it's really close and goes either way. Snake is what bugs me. Don't have to worry about it anymore though - using my falco on them :D.
I'll make you a deal. When I get to LA next month, I'll fight some Snakes and you can fight some Metaknights, and we'll see how we fair :)

I'd love to see your anti-Meta strategy. And as for Snakes, I'd seriously never pick any character but Peach against a Snake, she can be used to counter him very well IMHO :)

Taldarin

Smash Cadet
Hopefully I can watch edrees at nexus against these metaknights then. I'm now 0-6 against MK players in tournament play, and I typically place pretty high T_T

Excel_Zero

Smash Lord

That's the reason Peach's have such a hard time against Snake. Snake is even more defensive than Peach. His tilts don't work when he's moving, so it's much better for a Snake player to litter the stage with traps and get you to come to him. The difference between Peach and Snake is that, thanks to the Snakedash, Snake can continue being on the defensive WHILE ATTACKING. Snakedash into your opponent and defend yourself with usmash while you slide and then start tilting. It's a vicious combination.

Unlike Meta, Snake's got a LOT of open spots that can be exploited if you figure out his defensive pattern and alternate between aggressive and defensive play. Play defensively till a hole opens up and then go extremely aggressive. Why do I say extremely? Because once Snake's in the air, he's at a huge disadvantage and you have to exploit it as much as possible before he gets himself settled and still on the ground where he can tilt you.

I do agree that Snake's KO power is very frustrating compared to Peach's lack of it, but Peach can combo Snake very, very well and get that damage up fast, and he IS gimpable in a non-traditional way.

I'm going to write a Snake guide at some point I guess. But some main things to pay attention to:

1) Peach's Bair erases Snake's usmash. If he Snakedashes and you're short on time, Bair it. It'll erase the missle and knock him out of the Snakedash.

2) Peach's Dair will pull Snake out of a Snakedash if used right, and Snake is VERY easily combo'd. I can do ~40-50% starting damage on Kamaji if I get him in a Dair initially. Dair is your best friend in this fight, and easily your best approach (or float to Fair).

3) Peach's Fair is excellent for Snakes who erect a usmash wall (constantly usmash). As soon as a Snake usmashes, learn the amount of time you have, jump in their and hit him with a fair and back out before the missle lands. Do it ASAP because after he ends his firing animation he can utilt you into the missle if you get too close.

4) Once you get a Snake off of the stage go crazy aggressive. Don't necessarily chase after them but rain turnips off of the stage. The moment a Snake up-B's they are INCREDIBLY vulnerable to Peach. Peach's fair knocks him out of the up-B, and the Snake can't actually attack you back without dropping the up-B and not getting it back (thus dying), so he generally has to just take the hit. Throwing turnips will keep him from getting back with his second jump and force him to use up-B, at which point you chase after him and do as much damage as possible (or grab him if he passes a ledge). Kamaji figured this out fast and always recovers high, but then I can engage him in the air as he falls. Uair to Nair works pretty well- if he aerial dodges the uair the nair gets him.

5) Remember the grab trick! Grab snake out of his up-B on a ledge and let him get out on his own without doing any damage.

6) Send every uncooked grenade back at him. Cook the grenades yourself if you have time. It'll make him think twice about using grenades.

7) Snakes expect you to be afraid of their C4. Don't be. While you shouldn't stand on it alone, if Snake's using it as cover just dive into it. He's not going to blow himself up too and you can always float over the C4 or air dodge when he goes "NOW". They're often thrown for a loop if you aggressively dive past the C4 and pound on them because they expect it to give them some breathing room. Instead, KEEP the fight by the C4, throw the Snake at the C4, and keep him in the air as long as possible.

8) KEEP HIM IN THE AIR. Snake's going to try to land as soon as he can, so take advantage of that (dash attack him right before he touches the ground, for example). As long as he's in the air, you have the advantage. Just don't get so aggressive that you jump in front of his Fair and get spiked.

9) Turnips. Use them wisely, but don't abuse them. Snake punishes the glide toss with his ftilt way too easily so don't glidetoss into his face. Throw turnips at range when he's playing defensively, then switch from turnips to aggressive mode when he makes a slip. Once you get him off a ledge launch turnips like a madman to force his angle of approach and make him come on low so you can get a good shot at him when he up-B's.

10) Go for the gimp kills. Grab him out of the cypher, or keep Fairing him out of the cypher till he can't make it up. You may or may not knock him off the side but you can prevent his recovery over and over till he falls off the bottom.

That's how I do it, anyway :) Hope it helps someone.
lol @ exaggerated picture

This was a nice post. It seems you know how to handle Snakes very well. Sadly I don't have many opportunities to fight a good Snake, since there is not much Snake players where I live. And what I said of being defensive I meant that Peach needs to space herself and her priority must be her defense. Of course you need to go on the aggressive, but you can't do it without thinking, or you will get punished. Just wait patiently for the right times to do it.

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
lol @ exaggerated picture
Glad you like it :D I've been tempted to shout "WROOONNG" a few times IRL but figured people wouldn't get the reference.

This was a nice post. It seems you know how to handle Snakes very well. Sadly I don't have many opportunities to fight a good Snake, since there is not much Snake players where I live. And what I said of being defensive I meant that Peach needs to space herself and her priority must be her defense. Of course you need to go on the aggressive, but you can't do it without thinking, or you will get punished. Just wait patiently for the right times to do it.

I kind of consider Snake my specialty I guess :) I played him a lot when Brawl came out, but didn't realize how well his tilts worked so I learned to play him based on setting traps and clever explosive tricks. So I got really good at figuring out how to place traps and how to defeat them.

One of the few players I get to play out of tournaments is Kamaji, who is the best Snake in WA by PR and probably one of the top five in the world. Sadly, I don't get a lot of variety of players, but I have fought a couple Snake players visiting from western WA and creamed them so I assume my strategy carries over (meanwhile, the Meta's eat me alive). I'm actually really anxious to see if it works on the SoCal snakes! :)

I understood what you meant about Peach's priority being defensive, but IMHO that changes in a Snake fight. He plays defensive even more than Peach, but unlike Peach, his defense can hurt you from a distance. His defense breaks all of Peach's approaches- his tilts break Peach's glide toss, so you can't approach that way, and he can utilt through Peach's floating Dair or any of Peach's floating aerials.

So the only way to beat a Snake is to slip something through his defense when he's moving. When he's usmashing you can float+fair him before he can tilt you, if you get him to move that's when you can go for a float+Dair because dair combos Snake really well and if he's moving he can't punish you with a utilt. Keep Snake moving so you can combo him without him tilting you back, and keep him in the air.

You have to be a lot more aggressive, but you also have to pay more attention to character movements than any other matchup. If he's holding himself oddly, he might be holding a grenade- he'll roll next time you attack and your attack hits the grenade and you explode, or he'll throw the grenade right before it detonates if you don't attack. If he stands still during your approach, he's probably going to tilt so break off the approach and wait till you can hit him during one of his smashes. Snakes do all kinds of sneaky things like that.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I read carefully over your words and am taking good note of it. I'll try these tactics next time it comes around. And we have a deal for when you come to Cali. Heh.

AvalancheBarrage

Smash Ace
Only tourny I've ever been in is the one when Brawl was released. Only a few good players, but I did manage to win (had to stay defensive at the last battle, was sudden death vs. pit, bomb saved me)

Taldarin

Smash Cadet
How many peaches are we going to have at nexus? Me, edrees, maybe juniormints, maybe jynx the mercury?

is that it? ._.

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
Good. I don't want people there understanding Peach. Catching 'em by surprise is the best :D

I think Deadly Turnip is a maybe to go?

Bone, Peeach player from San diego, is going. He's good too.

Taldarin

Smash Cadet
Haha yeah that's what I love about being a peach main... "i've never played a peach before, but **** your peach is good"

surprises ftw =D

And sweet, I didn't know bone was a peach player.

Top Bottom