• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pause & Play First Tourney [Asheboro, NC] Jan. 2

BEHR

Smash Hero
LOL You placed the same.

So you haven't proven your better than him.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
He performed better than you in every way(basically means beat Yay in a set whereas you didn't take a match/placed higher) in singles bro.

Since you guys have never been at a tournament together before, we have to go based on what happened.

Mike is better than you. You should've MM'd him if you wanted to say otherwise.

NCPopo

Smash Rookie
umm... yea I can? I'm better than him, so I can trash talk all I want.
How long have you been playing in tournaments? Like 2 years? I started playing smash competitively in March, if you can even call it that.

I choked hard playing you in teams. No excuses, you won, but don't get used to it.

I also noticed you play Marth. Nothing more needs to be added to that.

DJRome

Smash Hero
popo, skill is skill. playing time doesn't matter. i've only been playing since july lol but then again, the state found out i play sheik so fwiw, yeah. but don't trash talk unless either you're gonna put up facts on why you're better or accept the mm. :) and i wanna be thegreatliang of nc but not lose so someone get at me lol

everlasting yayuhzz

Smash Champion
Hey Dark Hart, you better calm down, that's the red version of The Hulk. Don't get tossed two to three miles away, or something crazy like that. :O

DJRome, I'll beat you in a Sheik ditto, you nublet. ;)

DJRome

Smash Hero
link is a weird character. weird characters are weird and i don't like weird. but i'll take on your fetish if you wish

~Twitch~

Smash Master
cullowhee, nc western carolina university
He performed better than you in every way(basically means beat Yay in a set whereas you didn't take a match/placed higher) in singles bro.

Since you guys have never been at a tournament together before, we have to go based on what happened.

Mike is better than you. You should've MM'd him if you wanted to say otherwise.
heh, i can't think of a legit enough arguement to top this...so i'm just going to say, since we did not play each other completely seriously, like you said, there is no real reason for you to say he's better than me. he might be better at playing against yay than me, sure, but i know
he is not better than me. i don't know how serious he was in the friendlies we played but going on those matches, and the matches i saw him play with other people, i know i can beat him in tourney or anytime else.

lol, there's going to be soooo many arguements contradicting what i just said. go nuts you guys. :laugh:

onlymaskde

Smash Lord
Twitch, if you really think you're better than me, you should have asked me for a mm... even though it would've been weird.

btw, anyone will tell you that friendlies are unofficial. I honestly don't know "how much" I was trying in them, but we both beat each other back and forth. And don't base anything off of friendlies you see me playing with other people. One, they're friendlies, and two, there's just something about tourney matches that makes me play harder - I play better under pressure. In friendlies I just do my basics.

tldr - get *****. if we both go to duke we'll play matches that matter

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Shoutouts:

JMH: mad cool of you to open your store up for us. A quick word of caution: you should try not to have kids in the store when smashers are around. We're potty mouths. =p
You play a smart Samus. Keep up the good work and keep Asheboro motivated!

SP: glad you guys could make it out. Raggy with the MAD CUTE facial hair. Fiz gettin off in teams, I saw ya. Seth and I were watchin the people watch us lol. Too good.

Popo: Calm down man. I know you aren't amazing yet but this game is hard to become amazing at. I've talked to JMH about the right ways to see things so hit him up for advice. You got this man. =)

EMB: Hopefully you can remember those Marth things I showed you. I think they ****. =p

David: LOL dude you're awesome. Great job in teams, and mad good shiz vs Twitch in singles. Always great to see you around bro, please don't stop coming to stuff. =)

Malk: It doesn't make a bit of difference, but you're too funny. XD

Karn: Don't sweat it man. I'll critique your videos and you'll be all set. =)
Stay positive bro.

Dark Hart: =p

Smith: Haha I ***** you in your own game. You're such a scrub.

BEHR: Use my all-powerful Pika advice well. Mike gets ***** by Pika so it shouldn't matter though. =p

NisP: My pants are mad legit.

Cam: Haha you're hilarious. Why didn't we play? =(

Mike: The Peach is mad legit. You were playing really smart. Really though, I had that MM in the bag. XD
Good stuff taking that set off of Yay. Falcon was lookin mad beast. Keep it up!

Rawfuls: I heard you were gettin mad beast. Too good man! I'll hit you up when I get back so you don't stop getting ****.

Cameron: You had the most hyped up matches out of anyone man. Good things in your future as a Falcon main haha.
KNEE KNEEEEEEE

Tha Don: So glad you came out! Always fun to chill/smash with you. Nice hat btw. =p
Good shiz in our Iron-man MM. When your Link does better than your Fox then you know you were destined for greatness. <3 <3 <3

Jim: Dude you got off in singles! Great job man. Next time care so you can **** harder. =p
The car ride back was sooooo much fun LOL. RPSGM, where you at????

Stongers: Hahaha I'm glad we picked you up. I hope you had a good time. Tough luck in the Brawl MM, but I know you'll bring it back on me(you better!). Good shiz in Brawl+ though, I know it can't be easy for Lucas....and stuff.

Twitch: You *****! We'll keep practicing and you can do even better next time!

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Double posting for response to stuff:

Mike is right, Alex. Friendlies aren't legit. Not everyone tries in them fully like I try to get you to do. If you still think you're better, then you MM Mike at the next tournament you're both at or hope to play him in brackets. That's about it.

Btw, that's gonna be a **** MM/set. Mad hype.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
NC popo, we gotta play. two up and coming ganons, and we gotta stick together.

rome...if you've only been playing since july, then what were you doing with a smashboards account since december '07? just curious...

DJRome

Smash Hero
playing competitively is what i was referring to. i signed up to ask a few dk questions over break in 07. but herb 2 was my first tournament. i just played with friends at duke before then. the first non duke person i played melee with was bryan in july when i got in for the summer

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Ah, I was wondering if I'd get you to post so I could remember your tag, King. I didn't even get to see you play, but I know if you hang around with the Asheboro crew a lot then it'll only help your game.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
i went rob in losers finals against karn for 2 matches because I just wanted to get it over with :embarrass

but I got you in the next one no worries

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Updated my shoutouts with Rawfuls and Cameron. My bad guys.

Also, I loved watching all of those people stare in at us, ESPECIALLY after that match we hyped up. Everyone was SO scared hahaha.

NCPopo

Smash Rookie
NC popo, we gotta play. two up and coming ganons, and we gotta stick together.

rome...if you've only been playing since july, then what were you doing with a smashboards account since december '07? just curious...
I hear ya dude. It's probably a good thing you didn't come. You would've ***** my Ganon hard. :p

This tourney isn't representative of how much I've improved. I lost to EMB, someone (no offense to him) I usually beat pretty regularly, but when it came to crunch time, I choked, he didn't. I'll just leave it at that. Personal beliefs aside.

and DJRome. To a degree, playing time does matter. It depends a lot on the level of your practice fodder, if you will. The Asheboro crew here, we've all improved, but it's been really slow. Reason being is because we don't have anybody super pro to play with very often, so we're essentially grinding our skill upwards by playing each other, watching vids, and getting advice from here.

If you've spent 2 years playing with the likes of someone like PP, Twitch, Cam, BEHR, etc. etc. then absolutely you should be better than someone like me, who has played with that level of people three times over the course of 6 months.

Time spent is a pretty good way of estimating how good somebody is at something. ALL of life revolves around that. Jobs, hobbies, anything. You think you're gonna get hired fresh outta college for your dream job? Heck no, you gotta have experience doing that job in a lesser format first. The same thing applies here. The more experience you get around quality competition, the better you'll get, unless you hit a wall. Playing competitively for a long period of time gives you more opportunities to play with that quality competition or at the very least become a quality player yourself. So yes, I'd say time played has a lot to do with it. Quality of competition has a lot to do with it, too. If you have an open-minded player who has a history of being a skilled gamer, a group of elites like PP, M2K, Kage, Mango, etc. etc. could shape him up into somebody better than you or anyone in a shorter amount of time than it took for you to be that good, simply because of the level of competition. That's where time played gets a little skewed, but that's a rare case.

And Dark Hart: I'll MM you. I don't know when or where, but I'll do it. People with your cocky attitude really, really motivate me. I don't think you quite understand. All you've seen is the absolute worst I can play, so you best hope I don't bring the A-game. And don't worry, I'll warn you ahead of time. I'm playing Ganon. I don't care who you play.

And finally, PP: Don't worry about me man. I'm very vocal when I play. I rage a pretty good bit. Just let it be. I cool down pretty quickly. I won't go attacking anyone. Just let it be and it'll be fine. Thanks for the advice @ JMH though, I appreciate it. I've gotten to the point in playing where the next step in my improvement is to apply the tech skill that I've acquired in games. I didn't see a thing Jim did that I couldn't do, I just haven't learned to apply it in a real match. I'll work on it, bro. I want to give you a run for your money someday :)

Ledger_Damayn

Smash Ace
My Smashboards account was started right before Brawl came out in America, but I didn't actually start playing this game with any intent of seriousness or competitiveness until late August this year.

EDIT: Didn't start Melee until November, either.

EDITEDIT: Only took me a half year until I already want to quit Brawl, at least in the competitive sense.

EDITEDITEDIT: I'll break into this scene eventually :). I kind of had to start at ground zero again because I changed what I wanted my main to become to Falco like 2 weeks ago.

Todd Bonney

Smash Lord
Good stuff, everyone. I told Emma all about it on the ride home. She was mad jealous. She promises to come to the next one.

JMH- Thanks for hosting. Great Falco-Ganon matches Sunday.

EMB- Good stuff on Sunday. Thanks for sticking around.

Mike, Cam, Behr- good seeing you all again, and good **** representing Gboro. Good stuff in teams, Behr. Sorry I messed up our last stocks in our last set. =/

Dark Hart, PP, plur - Way to represent Melee late into the night after the B word had taken over.

Bl@ckChris

Smash Hero
haha popo, i don't think i'm quite capable of ****** anyone in the NC smash scene. although ganon dittos are weird...just a few frames of input difference and you have a rather one sided battle...

we'll play for sure though some time. once i get a car, i'll try to make that drive as much as reasonable and bring people along so that greensboro and asheboro can help each other.

as far as the experience things go, i didn't start L canceling/other stuff until i got onto smashboards; in october. i played at school for 2 years, but a ganon main that didn't L cancel isn't really a ganon main...thats how i see it. he's just a normal civilian who really likes how fast fair can kill.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Fudge I forgot to shoutout to PLUR.

PLUR- our friendlies were amazing. You really have gotten better though, no lie. I mean, this was since like summer, but that's legit. Also, you know you loved that noise I made when you were jabbing me from two sides. XD

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
I hear ya dude. It's probably a good thing you didn't come. You would've ***** my Ganon hard. :p

This tourney isn't representative of how much I've improved. I lost to EMB, someone (no offense to him) I usually beat pretty regularly, but when it came to crunch time, I choked, he didn't. I'll just leave it at that. Personal beliefs aside.

and DJRome. To a degree, playing time does matter. It depends a lot on the level of your practice fodder, if you will. The Asheboro crew here, we've all improved, but it's been really slow. Reason being is because we don't have anybody super pro to play with very often, so we're essentially grinding our skill upwards by playing each other, watching vids, and getting advice from here.

If you've spent 2 years playing with the likes of someone like PP, Twitch, Cam, BEHR, etc. etc. then absolutely you should be better than someone like me, who has played with that level of people three times over the course of 6 months.

Time spent is a pretty good way of estimating how good somebody is at something. ALL of life revolves around that. Jobs, hobbies, anything. You think you're gonna get hired fresh outta college for your dream job? Heck no, you gotta have experience doing that job in a lesser format first. The same thing applies here. The more experience you get around quality competition, the better you'll get, unless you hit a wall. Playing competitively for a long period of time gives you more opportunities to play with that quality competition or at the very least become a quality player yourself. So yes, I'd say time played has a lot to do with it. Quality of competition has a lot to do with it, too. If you have an open-minded player who has a history of being a skilled gamer, a group of elites like PP, M2K, Kage, Mango, etc. etc. could shape him up into somebody better than you or anyone in a shorter amount of time than it took for you to be that good, simply because of the level of competition. That's where time played gets a little skewed, but that's a rare case.

And Dark Hart: I'll MM you. I don't know when or where, but I'll do it. People with your cocky attitude really, really motivate me. I don't think you quite understand. All you've seen is the absolute worst I can play, so you best hope I don't bring the A-game. And don't worry, I'll warn you ahead of time. I'm playing Ganon. I don't care who you play.

And finally, PP: Don't worry about me man. I'm very vocal when I play. I rage a pretty good bit. Just let it be. I cool down pretty quickly. I won't go attacking anyone. Just let it be and it'll be fine. Thanks for the advice @ JMH though, I appreciate it. I've gotten to the point in playing where the next step in my improvement is to apply the tech skill that I've acquired in games. I didn't see a thing Jim did that I couldn't do, I just haven't learned to apply it in a real match. I'll work on it, bro. I want to give you a run for your money someday :)
These johns may dethrone dj's sheik arguments

NCPopo

Smash Rookie
These johns may dethrone dj's sheik arguments
I don't see what you're getting at. I made no johns. I owned up to my defeat, fyi, and I'll own up to any future ones. If I lose, I lose. Regardless of how it happened, that's it at its core. I may feel like I've gotten the raw end of a Smash deal, but it happens.

But explain yourself for me, if you will.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
THAT WAS MY HAT. I play luigi, i didn't get to play you :(
Yo Lui, it's dark hart, you're a pretty cool bro, bro.

:laugh: You're funny because you think I'm cocky.

Dark Hart, PP, plur - Way to represent Melee late into the night after the B word had taken over.
<3

Top Bottom