• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Path of the Gerudo King, a Ganondorf guide by TT, ver 1.21.01.00

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
lemming check the move list and youll find the frame data of the rising attacks and the hitbox clips. yeah that warlock punch is hilarious, i once jumped off the stage a warlocked puch my friend as he was trying to recover. holy **** was that hilarious, i couldnt stop laughing.

Lemming 1545

Smash Journeyman
GanonPWN, if you have nothing to contribute... why are you posting?

Anyway, thanks for the rising attack stuff, Tipman! What's sad is that I never knew what determined which rising attack came out before now. >_<

Good stuff. Keep it coming!

Titan44

Smash Apprentice
You should mention d/f tilt in the edge-guarding section. Leprechaun showed it to me, and it's seriously one of the best things in Ganon's arsenal. It's a lot like edge-guarding with U-air (minus the spike, of course =P), except much easier to time since you don't have to jump or anything. Great against Samus after she uses the grappling hook, since a lot of the time she won't sweetspot the ledgeperfectly on the way on the way up. After that, she's a sitting duck. The move also seems to hit slightly below the platform, so I've tagged Fox/Falcos out of their recovery B moves pretty easily. Good stuff.

My win rate has shot up since I've started using it more.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
****, that one just slipped my mind. mainly i find it useful for falco and foxs illusion thing F+B. i dont try it too much vs samus cause the samus i play usually goes for the sweet spot when the opportunity presents itself. ill make a misc. section on moves like bair, dftilt, and fair (my new favorite edge guarder for weak sweet spots) and give some 411 on them.

GanonPWN!

Smash Journeyman
hey tipp i watched your vids of you vs syn, well two at least, do you have any more vids of yourself 1v1ing?

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
those vids are pretty old, i should have some new ones up some time soon. when i do ill post them up in the vid section. ill be putting in the title "ver 1.0" now even after the guide is completed it will still stay ver 1.0. only way it will go up is if new vids are added, that way nobody is constantly checking through the guide every week to see if new vids are up.

KingWayne

Smash Rookie
Tipp,
Just want to thank you for the vids and the guide. My Ganon is better than ever. I execute my techs smoothly and consitantly, from wave, ledge, and platform dashing. I still have trouble with ledge hopping uair. My timing is not quite consistant. Is the timing the same as ledge dashing, or is it more difficult.

Mafia Boss

Smash Rookie
you need to add the pros and cons of using ganondorf or no one will no the advantages and the disadvantages of using ganondorf

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
kingwayne as soon as you jump uair, its tough but with a little practice youll get it down in no time. seriously though i cant ledge hop uair to edge hog for ****, i tried the other day and failed tons of times. im just not used to moving my fingers that fast while playing as ganon. but ledge hop uair is easy beans just takes practice.

mafia boss i wont even bother putting something like that up, im gonna keep away from the typical guide with 10% useful information and 90% fun facts. ganons and strong fast char and if youre not exactly sure what i mean by that then the frame data and vids will help you understand (and anyone else). im hoping when this is done that it can be a guide the great ganon players can learn from aswell as the n00bs.

TestRider

Smash Ace
im gonna keep away from the typical guide with 10% useful information and 90% fun facts

Nicely said. What's funny is that those guides are usually the "official guides", a.k.a. guides written by lazy *****es who get paid for writing lots and lots of basic info that won't get you anywhere. Here, I'll even give you an example since I'm such a nice guy. I got the official Diablo II guide by BradyGames when I bought the game, and here's a sample of what they have to say to help sorceress players all around : "Chain Lightning : Sends out a streak of lightning that bounces and jumps through several targets, doing damage to everything it hits along the way. As skills points are added to Chain Lightning, both the amount of damage and the number of hits grows. For example, when this spell is at level 10, it branches out 11 times! Remember that it even bounces off of walls, so put it to good use when you're in a cramped dungeon!"
Notice that everything they tell you would have taken you 3 seconds of playing around with the spell to find out. Nothing to tell you whether the skill is actually worth investing into or if you could simply go for something that's strictly better. Look around the Internet for guides made by people who actually play the game, though, and you'll find everything you'll ever need to know about this spell, such as the fact that unless throwing lightning around makes you happy in your pants, there's no point in wasting your skill points on this filler when there are better things available. Also notice how the guides that will help you are free, while the crappy, useless guides written by "professionals" usually go for 20 bucks.

The point of all of this :

If useless-but-fun-to-read stuff is what you're looking for, go there : http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/gamecube/game/516492.html

If you're into serious play and making money through playing Smash, then stick to guides that actually matter, such as Tipman's

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Thank God, a modern Ganon guide. And it doesn't hurt that it's so awesome. Really, mad respect for you TT. Me and IRISH are always like, **** man that was Thomas Tipman style. I remember when someone started whistling the song from Triforce of Power in that match IRISH was owning Simna, good stuff.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
testrider yeah those offical guides are ****ing stupid, im really confused how smash turned out to be soo good if the beta testers had anything to do with the guides.

thanks Mr. Ganondorf and i swear music in vids are SUBLIMINAL. anytime someone plays link or doc the DBR songs pop in my head and im like "WTF". next vid i make im going to have a song with my email address demanding money.

IRISH

Smash Rookie
Hey TT, I usually dont have any problems with any characters except for German's link, and then maybe some fox'z and falco's, whats another way to beat them besides using the left B move (not sure the exact name), but what else do u think I could use to beat them. This is the only problem I've got to get a combo started with any character other than fox or falco. Get back at me about this.

Mr. Ganondorf

Smash Journeyman
Indeed IRISH. I have the same problem against Fox and Falco. It's called the Gerudo Dragon and it seems it's the only way to start a combo against those **** space animals. Throws are good too. Dthrow to dsmash or tech chase and upthrow to upsmash at high percent or fsmash if they DI. That and dair combo like crazy. That's about all I've discovered playing the space animals, I'm also anxious to hear what TT has to say about it. *waits anxiously*

IRISH

Smash Rookie
Those are all good combos that you put on that last post, but a lot of those are basically given when you pick up ganon. I think that when you are faced to play a fox or falco, the best thing to do is not plan out are your moves because then he could DI a certain way and ruin that for you, but to just go with instinct and use the next move that you feel is best and keep going with the flow. I've always found a nice little tap the best way to start out a good combo. :ouch:

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
i really dont try to combo much with ganon i just try chain grabbing and reading techs right for the win. ganons main combo starters are usually Dair, Dsmash, forward B, Dtilt, Dthrow, Uthrow, and some other moves maybe i forgot about. like i said though combos are good but if you can dominate tech chasing and get them off the edge youve won 7/8ths of the battle.

IRISH

Smash Rookie
Yeah, those are all good starters, but I'm gonna have to agree with what you said about getting them off the ledge because ganons edgeguard moves are disgusting, there are hella different things you could do to keep them off, effective and/or flashy.

Panik

Smash Journeyman
So I downloaded the Triforce of Power, and it is a great vid. I think something might have screwed up though, because my vid is 3:47 mins long, and it ends with GDorf using his sheild and Falco flying away into never never land. Is that the end or should I download it again?

#HBC | Mac

Nobody loves me
BRoomer
i having trouble shffling nair can sumeone help me wit dat and does doing it even help

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
Macman said:
i having trouble shffling nair can sumeone help me wit dat and does doing it even help
The best way to prevent missed SHFFLed Nairs is to simply not do Nairs. Seriously, it's Ganon's worst aerial. He has such better options in the air. Like what? I don't know. I don't play Ganon that often. But from my experience, the move is worse than crap.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Yo Tipman, I finally read all through this very technical guide. Good **** tho. I like how specific u get with some of this ****. Hitboxes were a big help and a good change from most guides. I would have helped u with this but u got most everything I wanted to add. I'm still waiting for ur feedback on my ganon tho fool! REmember? of course u don't ;) NEwayzzzz...
Hope 2 see j00 @ MLG NY

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
macman uair is best, its one frame faster and it has less lag.

angelo im such a ****ing n00b i have the frames on my pc for cfalcon (his airs anyways) and i keep forgetting to send em to you. lol im too forgetful, ill send you the link on your my space.

n00bking i left you a comment on your vid (*positivity* :bigthumbu ) if you got some more vids let me know man, they can pown in the guide aswell if you want.

kingKONG why not both? DK has some sexy tech and personally i think hes the hardest to get techy with consistantly, all his good techs are frame spicific as in you got one frame to act on. if someone can master DKs tech he would be too beastly. glad you like the guide though.

oh and if it matters i added a new tech which is the reverse sheild grab, simple using up B, good tech ive been messing with lately.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Oh ok my bad then Tipman. Yeah maybe I can send u some more recent **** of my ganon in 1v1's where u actually see me integrating more of the stuff u have in this guide. That would prolly help out some of the visual learners ;)

King Kong

Smash Lord
Ya..... SH B-air DJ, Instant Edgehog, Full Jump D-air DJ, and my personal fave Sh-B-air instant Up-B. Those all make waveshining and pillaring seem easy by comparison.

How consistant have you gotten with those kind of techs? I know I have the instant edgehog maybe 1 in 8 max. I got the SH B-air DJ down maybe 70% of the time and the Full jump D-air DJ has gotten really easy though I never use it.

Can you do me a favour and see if DK can wavedash from a SH-Bair using AR mode or something if you've got the time? I can see that having potential. Oh, and i remember you mentioning something about doing an instant reverse charge cancel from the ledge into F-air- is that possible?

Sorry to get off on the wrong character.

peace out

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
honesty DKs been taking the back seat for a while now, my ability to do those techs probably dropped (instant edge hog is ****ing stupid hard for me to do, ive tried like 2 weeks ago and couldnt get it once). i played him a few days ago and only thing i was able to hit was shbair bair and the sh quick charge cancel to bair but ive been finding pivoted bairs are alot better. you can WD from the sh bair but you can double jump them airdodge to create something similar and you can ledge hop charge cancel fair but its tough ****. i notice anytime i play guilty gear or kof alot my timing with those techs get easier so i think i should hit up some kof everynow and then. also nothing wrong with talking about the monkey in this thread, he's leet so why not?

n00bking dont worry too much about sending vids that show techs of this guide unless it just happens to be there (or if it has you doing the infinite edgehog2 in it then send it quick). its better if people read the guide then look at the video and see not everyone plays the same, shows diversity which is good.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
Tipman: I don't think I could pull off your infinite edgehog2 consistently enough to put it on a vid :/ I 2nd your comment about it being hella difficult :psycho:. Maybe I'll just put up a vid or two of me against 1 or 2 of the other best players around my area. Variety is definetly good, to see different playing styles incorporate the things you have talked about in your guide. More importantly, specific situations they are used in, and how.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
the infinite edge hog 2 isnt too hard its just doing it over and over thats difficult (mixing it with the regular infinite edge hog isnt too hard). when you get the vids PM them to me so i can put them in the guide.

FoolyCooly

Smash Cadet
You G-Dorf guide has helped me reach a point in my game I never thought possible. I've gotten SO much better knowing about the G-Dorf's chain-throw possibilties and the wonderful Vultre Kick. GANONDORF FOREVER!

AngeloBangelo

Smash Lord
TT, I'm taking up Ganondorf as a 2v2/FFA character. Man he rocks. You should add a section to your guide that explains when to use certain moves. Like, when you're back to back with someone with Falcon, I always stomp. Is it the best option for Ganondorf? Also, when do you use his jab? I find after Fairs are basically the only time I can ever use them effectively.

Anyway, this guide is really helping my Ganondorf out. Best of luck at your tournament, as well.

P.S. Thanks for the hitboxes for my guide. They're sexy.

Thomas Tipman

Smash Champion
depends who youre back to back with and what you expect though if theyre not supper fast like falcon or fox a bair would be nice. ganons jab is a good "STFU BITC|-|!" move, when someone parades around you flaunting their speed give them a gerudo ***** slap should work. no prob on the hitboxes i should get you the rest maybe sunday or monday.

xXx-NoobKing-xXx

Smash Hero
AngeloBangelo said:
TT, I'm taking up Ganondorf as a 2v2/FFA character. Man he rocks. You should add a section to your guide that explains when to use certain moves. Like, when you're back to back with someone with Falcon, I always stomp. Is it the best option for Ganondorf? Also, when do you use his jab? I find after Fairs are basically the only time I can ever use them effectively.

Anyway, this guide is really helping my Ganondorf out. Best of luck at your tournament, as well.

P.S. Thanks for the hitboxes for my guide. They're sexy.
Tipman going to a tournament? Where at man? I might stop by to challenge j00

Top Bottom