• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Parachute Parade! - GnW Social Discussion

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
My girlfriend just got a new controller for me and surprised me by painting it.

^_^

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
Nice Hylian, this is mine that I've painted with nail polish

There's more I can do, but I'm too lazy. I take my pride in the purple candy cane cord.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Why? It feels normal, not sticky or anything like that.
I'm simple I prefer to keep my stuff "vanilla"

My old 64 had digimon stickers all over it (And even at the time I put them on it digimon was played out, I got a pack of free stickers in some school supplies and didn't know what to use it for)

When I hit like 13/14 and digimon was REALLY played out I hated it, but I didn't want to leave residue all over my baby. Eventually i switched my friend's n64 with mine by "accident" even though there's no stickers on his (I don't remember the details on why he didn't just take his back)

trifling? Yeah. but that ninja had an expansion pack and it made perfect dark 10x awesomer so I didn't care

Edit: happy B-day Zac

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
Cincinnati, Ohio ; Land of Happiness and Kindness
NNID
Daylightful
XD; Happy birthday!

So Monday I can start working on threads again! (Yay!) Swamped with school work! Going to another national this weekend but I don't think I'll have the money to enter. I hope I can!

Anyway, Snake is so hard! I've been having discussion with people and everyone agreed that Snake is GnW's worst matchup. Ideas? Opinions? I mean, MK is easy if they don't know the matchup. And even then if you're really patient it's not that bad but it's still pretty hard! I feel you can beat a MK or a Marth that's decent but it's harder fighting a Snake that's decent. lately Marth just hasn't been that hard, either. I feel he's pretty easy to juggle and gimp. MK is easy if you're patient. XD But what about Snake? You're forced to approach and his tilts even beats me baiting. I can just slowly go in and go out and not even be too near him and he can just ftilt me still. And he still lives forever. XP;;; I'm also incline to agree that Snake is GnW's worst match up. I hope I didn't ramble too much! XP I just want opinions! Please and thanks, guys!

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
Eh I think Marth is worse personally, but don't you say you play good snakes? it might just be the players in addition to the **** of the matchup. Use upthrows and lotso uair, and Nair. Keep him above you. Use rising Fairs and Bairs. Luckily they usually recover high and that give you more chances to screw them up.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Hello G&W boards! My name is Junglefever and I help moderate the Smashboards Information Center. At the SIC, we are attempting to create a mentoring program for older and newer members to go to so that they can progress in their smash career on a more personal level than just SWF. Mentors communicate to their pupils through PMs and AIM, in addition to playing WIFI with each other. We believe that the Mentoring Program is a good addition along with the character boards to help members get better.

So what do i need from you guys? I need a couple volunteers from your character board that are willing to mentor pupils one on one and help them get better at their desired character.

For any interested, please PM me the character you are interested in mentoring in, and what exactly you can bring to the table. How long have you been a G&W main? Do you go to tourneys? Do you have access to wifi? What achievements have you earned in your time smashing?

Thanks guys! Hope to hear back from you soon!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Snake isn't bad at all...just you can't ever screw up. You can legitimately outzone him and do all sorts of dumb stuff to him when he's in a bad position, and landing Smashes on him is legitimately possible. Plus he isn't hard to take to time when you have a lead. It's just if you ever screw up, you get punished HARD.

I think Falco is easily a worse matchup than Snake. Maybe because I'm not very comfortable with powershielding. But I honestly think that a well-played Falco is ridiculously hard to hit at all, and has more tools to stay out of bad situations and recover safely.

As for Snake, it's just learning that his tilts aren't actually completely safe. If you're close for example, shieldgrab him out of 1st hit of F-tilt. Ftilt 2 is punishable by F-air/B-air oos. His U-tilt becomes unsafe on block if it isn't completely fresh (reduced shieldstun). You can also play footsies with D-tilt and depending on your timing it can get between his F-tilt sometimes, and getting him offstage with it usually means you get a free F-air.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
Hello G&W boards! My name is Junglefever and I help moderate the Smashboards Information Center. At the SIC, we are attempting to create a mentoring program for older and newer members to go to so that they can progress in their smash career on a more personal level than just SWF. Mentors communicate to their pupils through PMs and AIM, in addition to playing WIFI with each other. We believe that the Mentoring Program is a good addition along with the character boards to help members get better.

So what do i need from you guys? I need a couple volunteers from your character board that are willing to mentor pupils one on one and help them get better at their desired character.

For any interested, please PM me the character you are interested in mentoring in, and what exactly you can bring to the table. How long have you been a G&W main? Do you go to tourneys? Do you have access to wifi? What achievements have you earned in your time smashing?

Thanks guys! Hope to hear back from you soon!
G&W boards hardly get any new people
and if they do,they quit in about 1-2 weeks lol.

Also im more than happy to help anyone on Aim about G&W,tho i don't really do wifi friendlies anymore.

PentaSalia

Smash Master
NNID
PentaSalad
i got 9th again yesterday=)

i learned so much about the snake match up
FD isnt that bad against snake,i think its slightly in his favor.

I'd prefer to ban halberd and be taken there

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Snake isn't bad at all...just you can't ever screw up. You can legitimately outzone him and do all sorts of dumb stuff to him when he's in a bad position, and landing Smashes on him is legitimately possible. Plus he isn't hard to take to time when you have a lead. It's just if you ever screw up, you get punished HARD.

I think Falco is easily a worse matchup than Snake. Maybe because I'm not very comfortable with powershielding. But I honestly think that a well-played Falco is ridiculously hard to hit at all, and has more tools to stay out of bad situations and recover safely.

As for Snake, it's just learning that his tilts aren't actually completely safe. If you're close for example, shieldgrab him out of 1st hit of F-tilt. Ftilt 2 is punishable by F-air/B-air oos. His U-tilt becomes unsafe on block if it isn't completely fresh (reduced shieldstun). You can also play footsies with D-tilt and depending on your timing it can get between his F-tilt sometimes, and getting him offstage with it usually means you get a free F-air.
I timed out a snake on pipes (lol) in grand finals of a tournament yesterday. It's true though, GaW outzones snake really well, and it's really easy to avoid everything he has when you have a lead.

The rest of grand finals was me getting wrecked by his MK. Almost had him on brinstar though. The matches might be uploaded later.

cemo

white walker
still haven't mastered getting through snake on neutrals, but i'm getting the hang of it on counterpicks. which neutral should i go for? usually it ends up on like, smashville or yoshi's island. :\

also chef (frying pan) hit a fox that illusioned to grab the edge yesterday. did they space bad or is chef awesome? i couldn't reproduce it in the match.

-Ominous-

Smash Journeyman
I haven't really played a Snake that knew how to fight a G&W, so I can't really say much on him, but I really don't like playing Marths.

Just been looking at this board for like...forever, I just haven't been talking. But I feel I should be more active.

2-2

Smash Journeyman
NNID
VGMtheVagabond
I'm retiring from the competitive scene. I'm done with everything but Brawl Minus and only for non-competition.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
): Oh gawsh! It must just be me. </3 Or I know Lou thinks the same, and Penta use to think the same. I know some local GnWs that also think the same.
But,
Eh I think Marth is worse personally, but don't you say you play good snakes?
Welp, at first I thought so, too. I mean I have a top Snake in my city. But even then I lose to not so good Snake's, either. There was one not so good Snake that I fought. I've been CP'd Snake 5 times in the last few weeks. And the last two tournaments I got knocked into losers by Snake and then knocked out by Snake. (Such bad luck~)

As for Falco being worse than Snake... Lol. No way! It's totally even-ish. You can nair or uair his side b, smashes aren't that hard to land since he practically runs into them. Lasers aren't hard to deal with. Upb is really good in this matchup. If you get close or jab, upb away. I've faught a lot of Falcos (randomly.) and trust me, I hate the matchup. I really don't like fighting Falcos. But I'm looking at it from a perfect Falco PoV and a perfect GnW PoV. GnW has things on Falco, Falco has things on GnW. I still don't like it, and I risk losing to a Falco each time I play one. Spacies are really scary.

I mean, Snake is easiest one of the hardest matchups. You have to look at matchups from the perfect GnW vs. the Perfect characterx. I can see him being easy to juggle. However, you have to approach him. And a lot of my Snake's don't just kill themselves (I wish it was that easy.) I can't exactly bait him because his tilts beat me. And once GnW is grab it's over because his roll is so bad. Maybe it's because I'm just playing pro Snakes. It's not that easy, honestly. People watch me, I spoke to a lot of pros, and they totally said they could see where I'm coming from and they all suggested another character. I spent MLG sitting down with a lot of top players talking to them, asking questions, and getting answers. And not just top players but also GnWs, too.
Like I said, you really can't see matchups based on "well, I beat x so that makes the matchup even." But instead from a pro level. Snakes tilts beat a lot of GnW's options. Sure, GnW smashes may be able to land but Snake will still live for a long time.
The problem with GnW vs. Snake is
Snake totally outprioritize GnW.
Snake's Ftilt beats, bair, fair, nair (not even approaching. Just slowly getting closer and away ftilt still will hit.), dtilt, and ftilt.
His Utilt beats dair.
I can see GnW utilt being useful because Snake's pretty big.
Explosives. GnW HAS to approach. Like I said, from a perfect Snake PoV they won't kill themselves. Just like pro Snakes. When GnW approaches, he's going to get ftilt.
GnW getting grabbed pretty much = dead. GnW roll is terrible. Expect to be utilt and you will probably die.

Snake has so much on GnW. I mean, I think it's winable. Anything's winable. No one is perfect. However, a perfect Snake vs a perfect GnW GnW will lose.

So once again. :p You can't really say, "I think this character is hard because I'm bad at the matchup." Sure I'm terribad at the Snake matchup. I'm pretty bad at the Falco matchup, too but I can totally see why Falco vs. GnW is even.

As for vs. Marth. No I totally think that's hard, too. But I totally can see Marth being easier than Snake. May be not by much but I can see it. Marth matchup you have to be patient. Let Marth come to you if you have to. He's easier to gimp. Just bait with Marth a lot. Upb away if you have to. Get in, get out. Make him come to you. Dtilt, bair wall, etc. Get away. Get in, get out. You can do that with Marth, Snake not so much. Snake you have to get in, and you will get hurt. You can't just stand there because of explosives. I mean, if you really wanted to you could stand there and hope you don't take ANY damage and sit there for 8 minutes and hope you get a hit in last 15 seconds. But honestly guys. :p

Phew that was long. XD;

Also, welcome to the boards for the people who are posting!

@Banhammer, That's really too bad. TT__TT Brawl Minus is fun, though! Hope you come back!

cemo

white walker
when downthrowed by snake, standup and up-b. his rolls are so awful that standing up is usually the best option.
or do nothing and make him waste his shield, etc etc. they're usually just waiting for a roll or getup attack.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
Right after dthrow Snake's going to utilt you. Even before getup attack. A Snake isn't going to sit there and waste his shield.

Also, talked to more people and yeah I forgot. I take back what I said about juggling Snake. I can't see it because of b-reversal grenades.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
U-air > reversal grenades.

Aggressive Up-Bing also forces him to airdodge a lot more.

Snake's F-tilt is annoying, but only really hits directly in front of him, and can't really anti-air much. His U-tilt is a good anti-air, but D-air beats it, and it's only safe on block if he keeps it completely fresh.

And usually when he's grenade camping, I just run up and try to grab him. He's more annoying if he mixes in grenade shieldgrabs here and there, and usually my response to that is fullhopped aerials.

Today

ლ(இДஇლ)
NNID
Daylightful
No. I wasn't saying it's guaranteed. I'm saying that if you just sit there he's not going to hold up a shield for like twenty seconds. XP

As for dairing beating utilt? That never worked for me?

And I've tried that. Grenades to try and run and grab him but he just ftilts me. Then it usually doesn't work a second time even if I do shield it next time.

I'm still incline to believe Snake being GnW's worst matchup next to Marth. Perfect MKs are beatable if you're really patient. Snake just throws me off because I can't be patient or the opposite.
Trust me. I reaally would love to play GnW vs. Snake, but pro Snakes vs. me = not working out so well... I think I may just stand a better chance with a better character for Snakes. Snakes is the only problem I have. But I'm not saying it isn't winnable. And I totally think it is if you try. Because like I said, no Snake is perfect.

TheHebrewHammer

Smash Apprentice
I think Snake isn't a terrible MU. 45/55 imo. A2Z said it himself, you can out zone snake. His ftilt is old news and nades are easily avoidable. Just play extremely patient and you got this. I wait for the ftilt so I can uthrow Snake and combo him in the air

Alphicans

Smash Hero
Play really patient vs MK and you can win, but not vs snake. Today, I think you have it really mixed up lol. Your experience with the top snake in your region (who is it?) really has you at a bias :p.

SFA Smiley

The SFA King
I agree, like I said it's probably the PLAYER beating you not snake, he's not that hard to deal with in comparison to like Marth or something. You're saying Snake shuts GW down, we probably shut Snake down more than he does us, we're just not allowed to make mistake.

Marth does a better job of shutting us down than snake does. Use more Up-B, Dtilt, and Rising Bairs/Fairs

cemo

white walker
you guys are miles ahead of me, i still have trouble getting through grenades. D;

i've always loved moves like snake and game and watches down throws, though. it's all about who's better at reading. it's actually one of my favourite parts of GeeDubs' game.

Lightning Tiger

Smash Apprentice
Marth is so much more capable of punishing every approach we have. Even more than snake.
Marth's fair, DB, and Up OoS pretty much beat down all our aerials.
Marth>>>> Snake
Edit: Grab release-> Tippered Fair. Guaranteed kill at higher %

Alphicans-can you explain the super patient part?
Like camp and bacon/what should you do?

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
Hi G&W Boards!

I got no PMs for G&W mentors :(. Please show your support by helping fledgling G&W mains!

Penta shoot me a PM if you wanna be a part of this. Are you watching this season of K-ON btw >:^(

Top Bottom