• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Paper Mario series - Vote more than once! Whoever doesn't vote for Vivian gets banned

Who's your favorite companion? :D

• Total voters

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I do know that Luigi mentions go-karts in a journal entry log. I can't think of another spot in the game that references MK64 (Or SMK, for that matter).

I played Paper Mario 2 again for the first time in a while since I got a new disc. I was a Keelhaul Key last save, and I played it to the end. But I turned the game off before it saved anything, since Endless Play bores me, and you can't face the Shadow Queen and see that awesome cutscene where everyone is voicing there support and wishes out to Mario. Best scene in any Mario game there. Beautiful music to accompany it too.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
But I turned the game off before it saved anything, since Endless Play bores me, and you can't face the Shadow Queen and see that awesome cutscene where everyone is voicing there support and wishes out to Mario. Best scene in any Mario game there. Beautiful music to accompany it too.
I agree, pretty much the most beautiful scene in any Mario game. <33

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Nope. What I was referring to was the train and it's music from Toad Town to Mt. Rugged:

Compare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fY8Oqa332c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Le1Z-xgoOr4&#t=7m55s
As soon as I saw the word "train," I thought "It's a Kalimari Desert remix." And lo and behold.

Speaking of remixes, someone needs to make a remix of the theme in the scene I mentioned. It sounds perfect for an orchestral song.

Someone should make a heavy rock SMORG theme too.

Wrath`

Smash Master
I do know that Luigi mentions go-karts in a journal entry log. I can't think of another spot in the game that references MK64 (Or SMK, for that matter).

I played Paper Mario 2 again for the first time in a while since I got a new disc. I was a Keelhaul Key last save, and I played it to the end. But I turned the game off before it saved anything, since Endless Play bores me, and you can't face the Shadow Queen and see that awesome cutscene where everyone is voicing there support and wishes out to Mario. Best scene in any Mario game there. Beautiful music to accompany it too.
That music defiantly was the right sound for the moment, it got you pumped, also I love one of the messages during that scene from the detective penguin that just relizes that Mario is Mario and not Luigi.

Luigi Badge+ Wario Badge= best costume

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I should have posted in this thread a long time ago. xD So just to go through my whole opinions from most of the games real quick...

I really enjoy the Paper Mario games, I play them the most out of any Mario title. I was fairly disappointed in SPM. Most people, though, think the storyline makes up for it, but I really dread the storyline. Thank goodness PM for 3DS will be a classic turn-based system.

PM2 is my all-time favorite game ever. I've completed it over 40 times (without cheats, it deserves respect! ):<). I liked all of the partners except Flurrie and only used her twice in the game. I frequently use Bobbery, Vivian, and Goombella. The first game I take more nostalgia into. Personally, I like PM2's combat and feel more "connected" to the first game. Lakilester ftw. :3

Wow, long post is long, hrmm? >___>

Not long enough!

I feel like going for my 7th rerun of Paper Mario 64, but I don't have a Nintendo 64. :(

T-block

B2B TST
I should have posted in this thread a long time ago. xD So just to go through my whole opinions from most of the games real quick...

I really enjoy the Paper Mario games, I play them the most out of any Mario title. I was fairly disappointed in SPM. Most people, though, think the storyline makes up for it, but I really dread the storyline. Thank goodness PM for 3DS will be a classic turn-based system.

PM2 is my all-time favorite game ever. I've completed it over 40 times (without cheats, it deserves respect! ):<). I liked all of the partners except Flurrie and only used her twice in the game. I frequently use Bobbery, Vivian, and Goombella. The first game I take more nostalgia into. Personally, I like PM2's combat and feel more "connected" to the first game. Lakilester ftw. :3

Wow, long post is long, hrmm? >___>
Honestly, they're completely different games. It's not right to say SPM was disappointing in comparison to TTYD. It's like saying FFTA was disappointing in comparison to FFVI.

Not long enough!

I feel like going for my 7th rerun of Paper Mario 64, but I don't have a Nintendo 64. :(
Virtual console?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I'm replaying TTYD right now.

How does Ms. Mowz only have 10 votes???

Her musical theme is amazing.

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, they're completely different games. It's not right to say SPM was disappointing in comparison to TTYD. It's like saying FFTA was disappointing in comparison to FFVI.
It was a disappointment because it was so different.

UberMario

Smash Master
Yeah, I'm hoping for something similar to the first two for the 3DS game, Mario has enough platformers already and I liked the RPG aspect of the series.

Patinator

Smash Champion
I was just playing the original Paper Mario the other day, actually... it was such an amazing game when I was a kid. Y'know what? It still is. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling just walking around Toad Town. :'3

PM: TTYD was really fun too, but I'll always have a soft spot for the original...

...And Super Paper Mario doesn't deserve the words 'Super' or 'Paper Mario' in its name. It should be more like 'Mario Sidescroller with RPG Elements that Stole Paper Mario's Art Style'. ;o; ...Still, for a sidescroller, it's okay.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Super Paper Mario is more like a paper drawn from a computer, so I think the name is just fine. =3

I blame people not liking Super Paper Mario because the final battle was too easy. ._.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
Some person who reviewed the second Paper Mario actually made a point on the "Paper" in the title of the games, and how it doesn't really reference the game itself; he said if the games had an art layout similar to Yoshi Story, then it would be appropriate to call is Paper Mario. He otherwise referred to it as Sprite Mario.

Sephiroths Masamune

Shocodoro Blagshidect
But Tactics was an amazing game.
and a better game

Virtual console?
I liked PPM so much that I bought it on the Virtual console even though I beat all four of the files on my 64 version.

UberMario

Smash Master
On my cartridge I have one file so I can immediately battle Bowser, one at Toad Town so I can complete the recipie chart, and the other two so I can start a new game or go halfway in.

Guys, I feel like going through a run of either PM or TTYD with some sort of handicap on. Kind of like the 3 heart challenges in LoZ, but with Paper Mario.

What should I do? Go through the game only getting HP at level-ups? Not using any Badges? Tell me.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Instead of doing a run you could always do a Pre-Hooktail Pit of 100 Trails run in TTYD. That looks kinda brutal though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Playing Paper Mario TTYD with only BP increase without using BP will destroy your soul, but at least it's a great challenge. =3

I'm pretty sure that's impossible though.

I can't get through the Shadow Queen like that.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
20 HP / 20 FP with the rest dumped in badges.

Max FP but you have to use your strongest FP draining moves each battle.

Those are two missions I've tried. And subsequently failed.

I was thinking of something a little bit more doable... you know, like wasting everything on HP, and having like 5 FP with no BP.

Or you know, no items, or only use 1 partner?

I actually liked the Pit of Trials thing though.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I'm pretty sure that's impossible though.

I can't get through the Shadow Queen like that.
I wouldn't say impossible, if your good with Super Guard, you can try to survive the Pit of 100 Trials until you see a Strange Sack so you can have 20 items before playing against the Shadow Queen. If you stock on Zess T's cooking's, (including a good amount of Zess Dynamites), and at least 5-10 Life Shrooms, then you have a chance at winning.

Edited: When using your Crystal Stars, mostly use Power Lift, but I'm sure you knew that. XD

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I remember a file of mine where I advanced until I got the Paper ability, then backtracked to the Pit of 100 Trials.

I blasted through to level 50, retreated, stocked up on items and got fully refreshed, went back, and made it all the way to level 90. It was awesome, especially when Super Guarding the Piranha Plant and Dark Bristle and Arantula attacks.

However, with just Goombella and Koops with you and not much attack power, levels 41-49 become an enormous pain in the ***. I have Spiky Parabuzzies to thank for that.

It's certainly not impossible to clear the Pit in one shot, but it definitely helps to have Flurrie in Ultra Rank and Mario with the Sweet Feast ability.

UberMario

Smash Master
You could in theory beat the game with the lowest stats possbile in PM2 thanks to the Super Gaurd, but you'd end up leveling up at some point due to boss battles "unfortunately", so the closest thing would be to only upgrade bp.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Or like, max your HP and only use a certain partner or two for the entire playthrough. You could make the pair earlier partners to solidify the run.

Actually, I can't do the whole partner swap thing because I'm forced to use Yoshi. Unless I'm allowed to use Yoshi for that one match, I can't do anything.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Actually, I can't do the whole partner swap thing because I'm forced to use Yoshi. Unless I'm allowed to use Yoshi for that one match, I can't do anything.
Well yeah that's fine. The point is to restrict to one partner for the entire game. The Glitzville match where you need to use Yoshi is forced, so there's nothing you can do about it.

UberMario

Smash Master
How about a "no-partner attack" run? You could set the partners to defend each turn (except for the one match where Yoshi is required) so only Mario attacks.

I hate how the letter P isn't there when he first asks you. That would save me sooooo much time when I replay it.

Top Bottom