• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

zferolie

Smash Hero
I actively dont want Paper Mario in Smash now cause Im 90% sure the moveset wont have enough or any representation of the first two games and instead entirely be "paper" focused crap from SS and CS.

If this was nintendo designing the moveset, yes i think that would be the case. But this is Sakurai. He makes it a point to pull from as much from a series history as possible.

I think Paper mario will be very focused on his hammer, some badge skills, probably a jump skill as his up or side b, and some sort of partner mechanic, along with some paper stuff. Remember, mario himself doesnt do many paper things in the newer games, just uses them, so i think his basic attacks will be very hammer and badge focused.

I think 1 special will involve partners somehow. Easiest is like how pac mans b move is. He can hold b to charge, and call forth a certain partner depending on how long he charges

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If this was nintendo designing the moveset, yes i think that would be the case. But this is Sakurai. He makes it a point to pull from as much from a series history as possible.

I think Paper mario will be very focused on his hammer, some badge skills, probably a jump skill as his up or side b, and some sort of partner mechanic, along with some paper stuff. Remember, mario himself doesnt do many paper things in the newer games, just uses them, so i think his basic attacks will be very hammer and badge focused.

I think 1 special will involve partners somehow. Easiest is like how pac mans b move is. He can hold b to charge, and call forth a certain partner depending on how long he charges
Adding to this, when :ultkrool:was added to the roster, the majority of his special moves basically felt like what people asked for him in the ballot, with his counter and the regular moves being added flair. The only reference to his later appearances being his Paon design used as a base for his Smash one.

At the very least the hammer would be kept in mind. Also, the previous Smash had SS references, but that game is no longer being focused on now, stage, medley and spirit aside (with only the latter being new, IIRC).

Last edited:

Loliko YnT

Smash Ace
NNID
karilthewizard
3DS FC
0447-8484-5229

Funnily enough... When researching stuff for his moveset , I realized that the game that push paper abilities the most... Is TTYD.
Spring jump , hammer spin , all the chest curse... As you said , SS/CS is more about the world being made of paper.

If anything , I only see the 1000 fold arms as a grab or command grab , or the cards/stickers as a way to use item. Because well... It's not like there is much else to add , except if you want PM to be Inkling and throw paint at people , or encourage kids to gamble with the roulette from SS/CS.

MrGameguycolor

Smash Lord
NNID
MrGameguycolor
Switch FC
7681-9716-5789
Well since Paper Mario's chances have sky-rocketed, here's my picks for Paper Mario music:

*Paper Mario

-Battle Fanfare
-The Koopa Bros. Boss Theme
-Tubba Blubba's Boss Theme
-General Guy's Boss Theme
-Huff n' Tuff's Boss Theme
-Over Shiver Mountain
-Crystal King's Boss Theme
-The Evil King Bowser's Boss Medley

*The Thousand-Year Door

-Title/Main Menu Theme
-Battle Theme
-Tutorial Theme
-Rogueport Sewers
-Boggly Woods
-Magnus von Grapple's Boss Theme
-Rawk Hawk's Boss Theme
-Macho Grubba's Boss Theme
-Doo_liss's Boss Theme
-Cortez's Battle Theme
-Riverside Station
-SMORG Boss Theme
-X-Naut Fortress Theme
-Bowser and Kammy Koopa's Boss Theme
-The Shadow Queen's Boss Medley

*Super Paper Mario

-Lineland Roads
-O'Chunks Boss Theme
-Yold Ruins
-Fracktail's Boss Theme
-Gloam Valley
-Nostalgia Underground
-A Powerful Enemy Emerges
-Grade A Prime Cut Final Boss (Bowser's Boss Theme)
-Dimentio's Boss Theme
-Fort Francis
-Francis's Boss Theme
-The Whoa Zone
-Brobot L-Type's Boss Theme
-Underchomp Battle
-Bonechill's Boss Theme
-Castle Bleck
-Closing Battle
-Memory Medley
-The Ultimate Show
-Pit of a 100 Trials

*Sticker Star

-Megasparkle Goomba's Brilliant Battle
-Malevolent Magikoopa, Kamek Battle
-Tower Power Pokey Battle
-Rowdy, Wiggle Segment Battle
-Gooper Blooper Battle Boogie Medley
-Snow Rise
-Mizzter Blizzard's Snow Bowser Battle
-Endless Hungry, Petey Piranha Battle
-Sparkling King, Bowser & Co. Battle
-Supreme Sparkling King, Bowser Battle
-The Spectacular Finale

*Color Splash (I haven't seen the whole game yet)

-The Corrupted, Black Bowser Battle
-Blackout, the Final Battle

Pipedream, yes.
But eh...

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I'm surprised I haven't set foot in this thread yet. Well, here I am now, showing my support for my favorite RPG series! Or, well, the RPG series it once was...

Anyway, in case you're wondering where my avatar is from, it's from this magnificent piece of fan art right here.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Wow. I'm surprised I haven't set foot in this thread yet. Well, here I am now, showing my support for my favorite RPG series! Or, well, the RPG series it once was...

Anyway, in case you're wondering where my avatar is from, it's from this magnificent piece of fan art right here.

Ridley is Origami!

No wonder he's evil!

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
Wanted to ask all of you Paper Mario fans something.
Which main villain is your favorite out of all the games ?

Mine's probably the Shadow Queen, her final form feels like a typical Kirby eldritch horror final boss, which are my favorite.

I think it's fair to say that she's my favorite across every Mario rpg games.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

Mine's probably the Shadow Queen, her final form feels like a typical Kirby eldritch horror final boss, which are my favorite.

Here's my take.
  • Shadow Queen has the best design and feels darker than the others, but we only got to see her at the very end. It also doesn't explain very well why she's so evil and destructive to begin with.
  • Lord Grodus and the X-nauts were pretty mediocre all things considered.
  • Count Bleck has the best character development and backstory hands down. He's not a static villain and you actually get to see what influenced his dark motives rather than just, "I'm evil! I want power! I want to destroy the world because I'm evil!"
  • Dimentio was okay. Him being a twist villain wasn't really a huge surprise by any means, but he had an interesting personality and unique powers.
  • And then there's Bowser, who's the antagonist of the other three games. He doesn't do squat in SS and CS until the final boss fight, so the orginal Paper Mario is really the only one that highlights his good qualities.

Last edited:

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman

I think Dimentio is my favorite. He's chaotically evil and is screwing around with the heroes and villains throughout the whole game until...

He betrays his boss, claims the evil power for himself, and manipulating Luigi, trapping him and fusing with him to form a giant super boss.

Super Paper Mario had very fun writing.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Here's my take.
  • Shadow Queen has the best design and feels darker than the others, but we only got to see her at the very end. It also doesn't explain very well why she's so evil and destructive to begin with.
  • Lord Grodus and the X-nauts were pretty mediocre all things considered.
  • Count Bleck has the best character development and backstory hands down. He's not a static villain and you actually get to see what influenced his dark motives rather than just, "I'm evil! I want power! I want to destroy the world because I'm evil!"
  • Dimentio was okay. Him being a twist villain wasn't really a huge surprise by any means, but he had an interesting personality and unique powers.
  • And then there's Bowser, who's the antagonist of the other three games. He doesn't do squat in SS and CS until the final boss fight, so the orginal Paper Mario is really the only one that highlights his good qualities.
I dunno, sometimes simplicity and purity is good. Besides Bonechill who just sucks and is completely forgettable, the Shadow Queen is pretty much the only example of a demon in the Mario cast and if you look through backstory and lore, very little is left to the imagination in how she rules. She made a huge pit just to torture people, practices necromancy on a far wider and more sinister scale than anything seen before and has an entire legion of monsters reamining loyal even after her death. The foreshadowing and atmosphere of almost anything related to her is on point, too; parts of the Palace of Shadow really make it seem that there was once an entire thriving and powerful civilization brought low by her before she made it's grandest structures her own and turned them from awe-inspiring to dread-filling, especially the quiet, fountain-filled plaza with the tower of riddles (complete with astrological model!). With all that in mind, the bumbling of the X-nauts feels rather intentional. No matter how smart Grodus may have been, they were ultimately dealing with something no one could ever fully fathom. Sometimes, it's precisely because you don't know everything about why or how something is the way it is that makes it scary.

Count Bleck is well-written... actually a little too well written because he's so sympathetic it makes it hard for me to really consider him a villain, especially when you look at everything else that happens.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

While TTYD is my favorite Paper Mario game, I would have to go with PM64 Bowser. Bowser in that game felt more powerful and intimidating than any version of Bowser before or after. Because of the Star Rod, Bowser seemed invincible even up to the point when you fight him the 2nd time at the end of the game it felt like Bowser was almost in complete control. Bowser in the original Paper Mario actually felt more like a real threat than he did in any game he has ever been in. Basically showing Bowser at his peak here.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
While TTYD is my favorite Paper Mario game, I would have to go with PM64 Bowser. Bowser in that game felt more powerful and intimidating than any version of Bowser before or after. Because of the Star Rod, Bowser seemed invincible even up to the point when you fight him the 2nd time at the end of the game it felt like Bowser was almost in complete control. Bowser in the original Paper Mario actually felt more like a real threat than he did in any game he has ever been in. Basically showing Bowser at his peak here.
I think you mean Kammy was in complete control. About the only real strategic moves he comes up with in that game is stealing the Star Rod and throwing minions at Mario, then she's the one who has to come up with each and every specific countermeasure for Mario. Honestly, I can't think of a single game that portrays Bowser as being dumber than this one. No wonder Peach calls him a "major bonehead". Then Kammy apparently became senile and lost all of her IQ in the sequel.

The later Mario & Luigi RPGs do a much better job of showing how competent he can be.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think you mean Kammy was in complete control. About the only real strategic moves he comes up with in that game is stealing the Star Rod and throwing minions at Mario, then she's the one who has to come up with each and every specific countermeasure for Mario. Honestly, I can't think of a single game that portrays Bowser as being dumber than this one. No wonder Peach calls him a "major bonehead". Then Kammy apparently became senile and lost all of her IQ in the sequel.

The later Mario & Luigi RPGs do a much better job of showing how competent he can be.
True. But Bowser was the one with all the power with the Star Rod in his possession. Mario couldn't even touch Bowser in their first fight in the game because without the Star Spirits helping Mario Bowser was invincible with the Star Rod. Because was still stupid, but the Star Rod pretty much gave him god like power in that game.

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116

This artwork is amazing! I'd love to see Paper mario in smash but definitely a moveset around the first two games since those are the best ones. Give his final smash some partners or all of them like how hero gets all the....heroes? idk dragon quest.

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
This artwork is amazing! I'd love to see Paper mario in smash but definitely a moveset around the first two games since those are the best ones. Give his final smash some partners or all of them like how hero gets all the....heroes? idk dragon quest.
I would personally love it if his final smash was the Star Beam from PM64, or the powered up Peach Beam. I'd love to see the Star Spirits represented.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
God, Super Paper Mario had a really good cast, it's such a shame that Tanabe simplified everything for the next two games after that.

With any luck, the situation with Olly and Olivia won't be a straightforward, black and white "Cain and Abel" affair.

snip
I knew of that a whole while ago. The artist posted some other nice pieces in his respective sites. Some examples:

https://twitter.com/neogandwatch/status/1070477336326365184
https://twitter.com/neogandwatch/status/830988199258255360?lang=gl

Last edited:

Aus0115

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aus0116
I would personally love it if his final smash was the Star Beam from PM64, or the powered up Peach Beam. I'd love to see the Star Spirits represented.
Oh yea the star spirits! I forgot about them completely despite their role xD Thank Mario Party 5 for that since I only remember them from that game haha. That would be dope too tho!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'd like to throw this into the ring:

Could Mario Odyssey get some potential DLC to promote Paper Mario?
Free if you buy both games/save data, but a cheap price to anyone who does not?

Blankiturayman

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure why I hadn't posted in here before, but count me in for support! The recent announcement has gotten me thinking about Paper Mario more.
I'd be cool with any character from a Mario RPG getting in, and of course Paper Mario would be great.

The first game is especially dear to me, but I've enjoyed pretty much all the games thus far (even... SS, and CS to an extent, they had their merits. I don't prefer them over the first three though.) Also, I'm hoping the new game is at least better than those two. I'm still iffy on it but we'll see!

Anyway, good luck with support. I still feel it's a shame most of the PM content in the game is from SS and CS.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I just remembered, Bug Fables is coming out on consoles less than two months before Origami King's release.

That's going to lead to a lot of unfavorable comparisons between the two games...
Honestly, I'm viewing Bug Fables's this week as a fairly positive. If Origami King ends up not too similar to the first two PM games than BF is there to scratch that itch, and if it is, then we'll likely get two games that are great follow-ups to the likes of TTYD.

Its like Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, a solid 2D platformer even with the existence of Tropical Freeze on Switch.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Only tangentially related, but the PM inspired Bug Fables game just got reviewed by noted (early) Paper Mario superfan Arlo who's called it the game he's been waiting 16 years for.

Definitely planning to pick it up myself tomorrow and it'll be interesting to see how it and Origami King compare overall.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone. I come here not with a moveset for Paper Mario himself, but a moveset for someone from his series, Mimi! She's probably one of, if not my #1 favorite Paper Mario character and I feel like there is a lot there to pull a moveset from!

Mimi Moveset.jpg

I know this isn't quite the place to put a moveset of a character that isn't Paper Mario himself, but it's the best possible one there is as of now, so forgive me. As always, here's a link to Flickr, where the images are much easier to read:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49946464072/in/dateposted-public/

EDIT: image fixed.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hello everyone. I come here not with a moveset for Paper Mario himself, but a moveset for someone from his series, Mimi! She's probably one of, if not my #1 favorite Paper Mario character and I feel like there is a lot there to pull a moveset from!

View attachment 273058

I know this isn't quite the place to put a moveset of a character that isn't Paper Mario himself, but it's the best possible one there is as of now, so forgive me. As always, here's a link to Flickr, where the images are much easier to read: https://www.flickr.com/photos/184893183@N07/49946464072/in/dateposted-public/
Very fun and unique concept, thank you for sharing! I did notice though that under tilts you have the same text as jab + dash attack, I assume that was an error on your end. And don't worry, you're free to post movesets and other content related to the series as a whole here, it's totally welcome.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Very fun and unique concept, thank you for sharing! I did notice though that under tilts you have the same text as jab + dash attack, I assume that was an error on your end. And don't worry, you're free to post movesets and other content related to the series as a whole here, it's totally welcome.
Thanks! and yeah, I tend to make that error from time to time lol. I always write the scripts for these images out on a separate document and then paste them in and can sometimes get confused. Thank you for pointing it out!

EDIT: ok, it should be fixed now

Last edited:

zumaddy

Smash Ace
I wonder what would be the chances of Paper Mario coming much later into the FP2 so they can include stuff from Origami King?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I wonder what would be the chances of Paper Mario coming much later into the FP2 so they can include stuff from Origami King?
Considering Sakurai usually likes to play the game a character is from before letting them in, and the fact that the characters were decided WAAAAY before Origami King's reveal, I doubt it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Considering Sakurai usually likes to play the game a character is from before letting them in, and the fact that the characters were decided WAAAAY before Origami King's reveal, I doubt it.
Origami King has probably been in development for quite a while though, certainly enough for whoever's picking the characters at Nintendo to know about it. It's the sixth Paper Mario game, Sakurai doesn't even need an early build to get a feel for how he'd play.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I expect Paper Mario's moveset to make reference to all the games.
If Origami King wasn't made in time for moveset references then I expect it to have the lion's share of stickers.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If Luigi can get a grab that references a game that wouldn't come out until almost a year later, I don't see why Paper Mario couldn't get an attack that references Origami King.

If you need more assurance, Sakurai was able to make Byleth work, and he's a character who didn't exist until just recently. Paper Mario has been around for over two decades, so it's not like Sakurai is completely dependent on playing Origami King early to get a feel for Paper Mario. All he really needs to do is find one or two things that could work as an attack. I'm not even sure if he needs to play the game for that. He could just ask IS to send him a few examples of special things that Paper Mario can do in Origami King.

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
Lets hope it we get Paper Mario, that he's mostly based on the original trilogy.
I hope his grab would be Throeau instead of that new arm thing from OK... Because more Supse Paper Mario is never a bad thing.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I know this is probably an unpopular opinion, but I'd like to see Paper Mario represent all six games, not just the first three.

Even if the games themselves weren't that great, there's a lot of cool things in SS, CS, and OG that would fit well in Smash. The Thing cards are a good example. Quite a few of those would make some pretty hilarious Final Smashes. Also wouldn't hurt to take a page from Inkling and let the Paint Hammer coat the fighters in paint when they're hit. The hammer functions mostly the same between all Paper Mario games, so I don't see the harm in using the Paint Hammer over the regular one.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Nintendo's posted an in depth video on Origami King with looks at (temporary?) partners and the battle system.

My overall impressions? It feels a bit like Super Paper Mario in that its not quite like the first two games, but does appear to have a sense of depth and a value in exploration that Sticker Star & Color Splash lacked. Given that I've gotten my TTYD fix from Bug Fables, I'm willing to give this one a chance and approach as its own unique entry.

zumaddy

Smash Ace
While it's not a complete return to form, there's a lot more things here that make me hopeful and excited for the game. Also some JP footage show that the Professor Toad had an overworld ability (digging up spots in the desert area) so at least one temporary partner has an abilitity.

With this game not shying away from referencing the OG PM games, it gives me hope that a potential Paper Mario Smash rep wouldn't just be Sticker Star only.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm a little disappointed that partners may only stick with you for one chapter, but I suppose that's better than nothing. I suppose it'll make you appreciate them more for the short time that they stay.

Overall, the game looks promising. I'm especially happy with the bosses not being giant standard enemies or Koopalings.

Top Bottom