• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
One thing I would say is, having too much moveset potential is one of the issues you would like to have over some others. Now my question being, if you're designing this character do you favor the older Paper Mario games or the newer ones? Because you clearly can't include them all.
Considering my love for the series' roots, I would obviously put emphasis on the first few games. That's not to say, however, that the newer entries are completely devoid of creative potential. Different sticker abilities, such as the spike helmet and a variety of different hammer stickers would lend themselves well to Paper Mario's arsenal in Smash. Also, I would argue against your claim that it's impossible to include representation from all of the Paper Mario games. It's certainly difficult to implement them all in a way where they work together smoothly, but not impossible. For example, a theoretical moveset could include partners on special moves, stickers on tilt attacks, and pixls for some aerials and as his grab. If anybody can come up with a coherent moveset that includes element from each game in the series, Sakurai certainly has the capabilities.

Well, at this point in time it looks like Geno's a shoo-in, so we can only hope that we get TWO unique Mario reps. I can see it happening, but i see only Geno making the cut even more.
I wouldn't call Geno a shoo-in. He's certainly a strong candidate, but there's nothing that would really indicate his inclusion over Paper Mario. There are dozens of things to take into account, such as popularity in the ballot, licensing, moveset potential, and even Sakurai's personal thoughts, none of which can really be deciphered to indicate one over the other. Maybe we'll get both, maybe we'll get neither; there's really no way to tell until the game's released.

By the way, is it safe to assume the two of you support? It's always difficult to be 100% certain when people don't outright say "I support!" :p (Though in Admiral Bobbery Admiral Bobbery 's case it's probably pretty safe to assume, what with the username and profile icon.)

Last edited:

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
I wouldn't call Geno a shoo-in. He's certainly a strong candidate, but there's nothing that would really indicate his inclusion over Paper Mario. There are dozens of things to take into account, such as popularity in the ballot, licensing, moveset potential, and even Sakurai's personal thoughts, none of which can really be deciphered to indicate one over the other.
I believe that Paper Mario has the upper hand when it comes to ballot votes, but Sakurai has stated that he's been wanting to add Geno ever since Brawl. Licensing doesn't seem to be a problem as they already got the rights to add a Geno Mii Costume in Smash 4.
By the way, is it safe to assume the two of you support? It's always difficult to be 100% certain when people don't outright say "I support!" :p
I'll support Paper Mario 'til the end of Smash Bros. Sign me in.

Last edited:

Admiral Bobbery

Smash Rookie
Considering my love for the series' roots, I would obviously put emphasis on the first few games. That's not to say, however, that the newer entries are completely devoid of creative potential. Different sticker abilities, such as the spike helmet and a variety of different hammer stickers would lend themselves well to Paper Mario's arsenal in Smash. Also, I would argue against your claim that it's impossible to include representation from all of the Paper Mario games. It's certainly difficult to implement them all in a way where they work together smoothly, but not impossible. For example, a theoretical moveset could include partners on special moves, stickers on tilt attacks, and pixls for some aerials and as his grab. If anybody can come up with a coherent moveset that includes element from each game in the series, Sakurai certainly has the capabilities.

I wouldn't call Geno a shoo-in. He's certainly a strong candidate, but there's nothing that would really indicate his inclusion over Paper Mario. There are dozens of things to take into account, such as popularity in the ballot, licensing, moveset potential, and even Sakurai's personal thoughts, none of which can really be deciphered to indicate one over the other. Maybe we'll get both, maybe we'll get neither; there's really no way to tell until the game's released.

By the way, is it safe to assume the two of you support? It's always difficult to be 100% certain when people don't outright say "I support!" :p (Though in Admiral Bobbery Admiral Bobbery 's case it's probably pretty safe to assume, what with the username and profile icon.)
Very fair. I just don't think certain games only getting tilts do them justice is all. And yes I am a supporter. Thousand Year Door may be my favorite game of all time.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
If Paper Mario were to make an appearance.

Would you all prefer the white outline? Emphasizing that he's actually paper?

Or....

Would you prefer the classic appearance like in all the games prior to the change?

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet

Or....

Would you prefer the classic appearance like in all the games prior to the change?
I'd prefer the classic appearance, although an appeareance based on Sticker Star's promotional art would be pretty cool. Here's an example.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Even if he doesn't make it into the base game, I think he's a perfect candidate for a DLC character when the next Paper Mario game comes out. I think Paper Mario's popularity would put him at high priority in potential DLC picks. I'll always have hope.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21

Or....

Without white outlines. your avatar is the perfect way for his design

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
Even if he doesn't make it into the base game, I think he's a perfect candidate for a DLC character when the next Paper Mario game comes out. I think Paper Mario's popularity would put him at high priority in potential DLC picks. I'll always have hope.
If Paper Mario ends up being a DLC candidate we should create a big post that explains why he should get in, his importance, how could he play like (linking several movesets) and stuff like that

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Well, at this point in time it looks like Geno's a shoo-in, so we can only hope that we get TWO unique Mario reps. I can see it happening, but i see only Geno making the cut even more.
And sadly, this is exactly why PM is so underrated. Despite having just as much popularity back then, people seem to think Geno is the only one with a chance.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think this is my favorite design:

I really like the detail put into his appearance and I think this design gives Paper Mario are more unique look to him.

Regarding his chances as a playable character, at this point, I don't know what to think. Paper Mario does consistently well on polls. Has a strong history with Nintendo. Has a future. Was in a perfect spot when the roster was decided. And on top of all that, he has a stage in Smash. It's like he meets every criteria, but, I am starting to feel somewhat doubtful for some reason. Still, I think he has a great shot, whether it's in the base game or as DLC.

Last edited:

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
I think this is my favorite design:

I really like the detail put into his appearance and I think this design gives Paper Mario are more unique look to him.
That's the design i linked a few posts ago :p

Paper Mario does consistently well on polls. Has a strong history with Nintendo. Has a future. Was in a perfect spot when the roster was decided. And on top of all that, he has a stage in Smash. It's like he meets every criteria, but, I am starting to feel somewhat doubtful for some reason.
We don't know if Sakurai wants Paper Mario in, but we know he wants Geno in. Plain and simple. However, Sakurai might like the Paper Mario series enough to give PM a spot.

The Paper Mario series has
  • 1 Trophy in Melee
  • 9* Trophies and 19 Stickers in Brawl (*8 Paper Mario trophies, but Toadette's second game is listed as The Thousand Year Door)
  • 16 Trophies and a Stage in SSB4
IIRC Paper Mario is the second most represented Mario sub-series, only behind Mario Kart.

Last edited:

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
The ideal scenario for me is to have both Paper Mario and Geno in. They'd both be fantastic additions imo. I love Paper Mario even more due to the first 3 Paper Mario games (Especially TTYD) being even better than Super Mario RPG, but either way we're getting a cool rep for the RPGs.

On the topic of design I've always preferred the classic look, the white outlines looked off to me.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Man, I'd love to see Paper Mario and Geno as playable characters. I'd be content with either or as well. I'd prefer Paper Mario, but I'd be very satisfied with Geno.

I get the feeling that most people think a lot of Paper Mario supporters just want the RPG side of the series to be represented with a character. While that may be true, I truly want Paper Mario for what he could bring to the table. Swappable partners, paper mechanics, RPG items such as badges or items? Yes please.

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I support. Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door is probably one of my favorite videogames out there to date, and I absolutely loved Paper Mario 64 as well, so having Paper Mario in Smash would be delightful to see. I daresay he's my most wanted newcomer at the moment. He's got overwhelming amounts of moveset potential—from badges to partners to specials—but I just hope that they only incorporate the first two Paper Mario games instead of the later ones. And having a Stylish mechanic would be nice too, but I have no idea as to how they would implement it.

KR_G

Smash Rookie
For Paper Mario design in smash ultimate I think it should be based off of the promotional renders for color splash where it’s like the old sprites but with a white outline

RouffWestie

Smash Lord

Or....

Funnily enough, even though I like his outlineless look in the Paper Mario games, I'd want him to have it in Smash.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Hello everyone!

I just made an account after many years as a lurker and I'm making the rounds of all the character threads I support. Surprised that I had to go to page 4 to find Paper Mario, as he's always been one of my most wanted newcomers (alongside Banjo, Geno, and of course Isaac). He has amazing moveset potential and would represent a large and important chunk of Mario's history. I realize Geno is the more likely or hyped "Mario RPG" rep, but there's no reason Sakurai can't include both. I actually think he has a fair shot at getting in once we consider possible DLC, and if nothing else I'm very happy to see him having a stage.

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
I LOVE Paper Mario so much. I've started playing through TTYD recently, and it's just so... good... It's been sad seeing the direction the series has been going. Personally I think even Super Paper Mario had bad design. I haven't even picked up Sticker Star or Color Splash because they just don't look appealing at all, compared to the first two.
I don't see Paper Mario getting in to Ultimate, but I'd be happy if he made it. And I really hope Nintendo sees the value in the original Paper Mario games and decides to make a new one for Switch.
Also, yes Paper Mario's newest design is great!

Last edited:

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
Nintendo Direct hype - Paper Mario is one of my most wanted newcomers. Do you guys think he might be revealed tomorrow?

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
Isaac supporter here wanting to wish everybody here good luck on getting Paper Mario tomorrow! He's been pretty lowkey when it comes to Smash speculation, but it's not fair to count him out as a possibility.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
My only fear is them taking from anything beyond Super Paper Mario

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
I hope Paper Mario gets revealed tomorrow. He's polled consistently well, and he already has stage representation, as well as recent games (and hopefully more on the way). Incidentally - while I hope Sakurai wouldn't go the Sticker Star route - if he did choose to do so, he'd be a fairly easy character to build, as Game & Watch if I recall correctly has been Sakurai's lowest-effort-to-make unique fighter to date. If he's not in as a fighter, I don't really see him making Assist Trophy either, so there's always DLC hope. Paper Mario's got good odds, and tomorrow is as good as any other day to reveal him. It would certainly catch people's attention.

Yoshi 2410

Smash Cadet
I don't think we should get out hopes up. Would love to be proven wrong, though. God knows how much i'd scream if Paper Mario got in

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
It's that time again indeed. I think it's safe to expect a brand new fighter reveal, potentially alongside an echo fighter or two. We can only hope the new guy on the block is Paper Mario. Something else worth discussing, is a new Paper Mario game announcement a possibility? It's been a couple years since Color Splash, so there may be a chance we could get an early look. Not counting on it, but you never know. (And if we do, maybe just maaaaybe we could see a return to form? Pretty please?)

Isaac supporter here wanting to wish everybody here good luck on getting Paper Mario tomorrow! He's been pretty lowkey when it comes to Smash speculation, but it's not fair to count him out as a possibility.
Thanks for the respectful support! I've never personally made the rounds to any support threads that I'm not fully dedicated to, but it's always nice to see this kind of positivity across the site. (...So for the record, Isaac would be a very solid addition to the cast, even if I'm not familiar with the series first-hand. I wish you guys luck too!)

My only fear is them taking from anything beyond Super Paper Mario
Unless they take inspiration solely from Sticker Star and Color Splash, I don't think you should be too concerned. Despite my disdain for those games, they still have some redeeming qualities in the form of moveset potential. Just small things like the Spike Helmet would be harmless additions from the newer games that could really help flesh out his moveset variety. Oh, and just to clarify, are you interested in being put on the supporters list?

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I think it's safe to say that we'll be getting a Paper Mario for the Nintendo Switch eventually. We've had one for every console, excluding the DS, thus far since the original release on the Nintendo 64. So we probably might not get a Paper Mario title announced tomorrow, but I'm sure that we'll get one sooner or later.

xNaz

Smash Cadet
It's that time again indeed. I think it's safe to expect a brand new fighter reveal, potentially alongside an echo fighter or two. We can only hope the new guy on the block is Paper Mario. Something else worth discussing, is a new Paper Mario game announcement a possibility? It's been a couple years since Color Splash, so there may be a chance we could get an early look. Not counting on it, but you never know. (And if we do, maybe just maaaaybe we could see a return to form? Pretty please?)

Thanks for the respectful support! I've never personally made the rounds to any support threads that I'm not fully dedicated to, but it's always nice to see this kind of positivity across the site. (...So for the record, Isaac would be a very solid addition to the cast, even if I'm not familiar with the series first-hand. I wish you guys luck too!)

Unless they take inspiration solely from Sticker Star and Color Splash, I don't think you should be too concerned. Despite my disdain for those games, they still have some redeeming qualities in the form of moveset potential. Just small things like the Spike Helmet would be harmless additions from the newer games that could really help flesh out his moveset variety. Oh, and just to clarify, are you interested in being put on the supporters list?
Yeah dude, I love Paper Mario

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
Who's everyone's favorite partner? Mine's Yoshi Kid for sure.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Who's everyone's favorite partner? Mine's Yoshi Kid for sure.
It's definitely hard for me to choose with so many great characters. Lady Bow is my favorite in terms of character design, but Bobbery has my favorite backstory, and then Vivian and Bombette are great too... Does Tippi count as a partner? She might be my favorite plot related character. There's no way I can nail down a single favorite with so many choices!

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Ghost partners like Lady Bow and Vivian are always top notch. Bobbery was also a highlight with that hilarious Treasure Island inspired chapter. Being a little bit sentimental though, with TTYD being my first Paper Mario game, and Goombella being my first partner, gonna have to give the nod to her. Love that snarky, bookish tattletale.

Last edited:

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Glad to see this thread alive again!

I think Paper Mario is the dark horse pick of this Smash generation, tbh. Why is he such a low-ranking pick among the Western Smash community? The only thing I can think of is that he is overshadowed by Geno and people don't seem to think that both could get added into the same game. I say that's a bunch of baloney! Geno is definitely the more desired pick among the fervent fanbase, but Paper Mario is extremely deserving. I still won't say he's likely, but I think he's unfairly snubbed by the community.

Go go Paper Mario! Good luck to everyone tomorrow!

(btw, can I please be added to the list of supporters?)

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
Mine's gotta be Vivian. She's just so hecking cute. That, and I love me some Fiery Jinx.

D

Deleted member

Now that I'm thinking about the question it's tough for me to say just Bobbery. I gotta give love to Koops and Parakarry too.

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
It really is hard to choose between all of them, because they all have great designs and are so unique. Lakilester, Watt and Sushi are some of my other favorites. Bobbery is just awesome, bob-ombs always are. I love Vivian's design too, and the way she ties in in TTYD. I just fought her and her sisters today, and it's just good game design to have a character like that where you fight them, then later on they become a party member.
Bow is also great, I love when she makes that scary face.

I was pretty upset when they decided not to go with the original types of partners in Super Paper Mario. That game seemed a little lazy in terms of design, in my opinion.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It really is hard to choose between all of them, because they all have great designs and are so unique. Lakilester, Watt and Sushi are some of my other favorites. Bobbery is just awesome, bob-ombs always are. I love Vivian's design too, and the way she ties in in TTYD. I just fought her and he sisters today, and it's just good game design to have a character like that where you fight them, then later on they become a party member.

I was pretty upset when they decided not to go with the original types of partners in Super Paper Mario. That game seemed a little lazy in terms of design, in my opinion.
I totally agree some are better than others in that sense.
Also since we're on this thread lol, I need one thing if he gets in the game. When he gets sent through the top blast zone and flies to the backround, he needs to look like this while doing it :laugh::
pmttydhurt.png
I would love that tiny detail :laugh:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
(btw, can I please be added to the list of supporters?)
Already done! I accidentally missed adding you yesterday, but I noticed my mistake earlier today when I logged on.

It really is hard to choose between all of them, because they all have great designs and are so unique. Lakilester, Watt and Sushi are some of my other favorites. Bobbery is just awesome, bob-ombs always are. I love Vivian's design too, and the way she ties in in TTYD. I just fought her and her sisters today, and it's just good game design to have a character like that where you fight them, then later on they become a party member.
Bow is also great, I love when she makes that scary face.

Vivian's role in the game definitely adds to her likability. A little bit of character growth can go a long way. And yeah, unfortunately SPM's partners are pretty lackluster outside of Tippi. All of the other partners only speak when you first meet them and never speak again, and their lack of characterization doesn't really help their case. At the very least, their abilities could add to Paper Mario's kit in Smash. :p Barry's spike shield and Thoreau's grabbing ability would fit nicely.

EDIT: By the way, just in case anybody forgot I have a Discord server available for any supporters who want to chat. It might be fun to live chat during the Direct tomorrow! Here's the link in case anybody wants to join.

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Well, to be fair your partners in SPM weren't the pixels it was Bowser, Luigi, Peach, and Tippi too. The pixels were more tools.

Duck$mash

Smash Cadet
I dunno, I feel like the Pixls took the place of that "partners" spot, then the addition of other main characters was just something new they did.

KirbyMonadoBoy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Shulkinator
I like the Pixls a lot. I know that most fans love the partners from the first two games (I do as well), however I think the Pixls could function as a part of Paper Mario’s moveset really well too. (If you forgot the names of the Pixls, just use this wikipage: https://www.mariowiki.com/Pixl )

Here are my Pixl-Moveset-Ideas:

Cudge = Side-Special

Boomer = Down-Special

Thoreau = Grab/Throw

Thudley = Down-Air

Barry = Neutral-Air

Slim = Spot-Dodge

Dashell = Run-Animation

Carrie or Fleep = Recovery (Up-Special)

Tippi = Taunt

Last edited:
Top Bottom