• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
I did not like color splash, but I hope he will be in.... Also we need to get rid of Dr.Mario and make him as an alt...

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
With the new Smash announcement, I think it's time to get the hype train back up and running! Anything's possible, so let's cautiously wait for his chance to appear in the spotlight! No matter what happens, I'll hold on to hope til the very end.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
This brings back memories!

Still my most wanted character, but I'm probably not going to get as involved this time around.

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Guess it's time to throw my two-dimensional, tearable, and non-existent hat into the ring of Glitz Pit again. Maybe I'll even be a bit more active in this paper-thin thread this time. Hopefully I will, at least.

:094:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
You can put me down as a supporter. Always room for more Mario characters, especially since I want all the Pokemon to return, plus Decidueye and Blaziken, so we'd need at least 4 new Mario characters to match Pokemon's 11 reps. (Toad, Waluigi, and Wart, please)

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'm still all for Paper Mario, no matter what elements they will use in his moves.

I would be willing to anything if it means him in Smash.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I could see him using elements from every single Paper Mario game: partners, items, sticker... It would be really fun to have a mish-mash of the gameplay elements from the series ^^

Runic_SSB

Smash Ace
NNID
Runic_SSB
Paper Mario has always been a series close to my heart, especially TYD and Super. The writing and gameplay are just amazing (in the first three anyway) and I'd be ecstatic if Paper Mario made it in.

Super Fawful

Smash Cadet
NNID
dimentio64
Count me in as a supporter! I'd love Paper Mario with a moveset from the first 3 games. I think Sakurai cares more about the legacy of the series than Tanabe (current Paper Mario producer) shown by the trophies in the Wii U version of Smash 4 and the TTYD section of the 3DS stage (even if I think it's BS that everything else in that stage is Sticker Star, it may be recency bias. The fact that TTYD got repped at all is more than the PM series itself does these days)

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I support. He would easily be the most creative Mario newcomer and there are so much possibilities for his moveset, like his partners, his paper plane transformations and so much more!

PF9

Smash Lord
Paper Mario would be nice. That way Mr. G&W wouldn't feel so lonely as the only flat character.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Skipped Color Splash and the Mario & Luigi crossover after being disappointed in Sticker Star, was that the right call?

Also backing Paper Mario.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Skipped Color Splash and the Mario & Luigi crossover after being disappointed in Sticker Star, was that the right call?

From what I've heard, it seems like you made the right choice.

I don't have a fully formed opinion on Paper Jam yet since I never went back to finish it. The game didn't stick out to me as anything special, though. Seems like the community census is that it's subpar. (It's also worth noting that it's very much a Mario and Luigi game with only a few Paper Mario elements to it, so it's not fair to judge it by Paper Mario standards.)

As for Color Splash, I could rant about it for a while. I did my best to play through it but I just couldn't bring myself to deal with the frustration. They screwed up the battle system to be even worse than Sticker Star, which is my main problem with the game. Everything is so much slower to the point of being incredibly unfun. "Things" return in this game, making bosses a cakewalk if you have the right one or impossible if you don't. There's also certain events in the game where if you don't know exactly what you're doing, you're going to get an instant game over, whether you can help it or not. Not like the fun joke game overs from TTYD or SPM. The only things I feel were improved from Sticker Star is the writing and some overworld elements, and even that's a stretch.

Jubileus57

Smash Ace
I personally did love Color Splash. Sure the battles aren't the most fun in the series but the rest is charming, from the music to the humor, etc.

Then again I did love Sticker Star as well.

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Ah, didn't notice this thread 'til now... Count me in as a Paper Mario supporter. Paper Mario is one of my most wanted newcomers. He has a lot of moveset potential. His hammer, partners, Pixls, Thing Stickers/Cards, paper transformations... A lot of possibilities!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Hey Paper Mario Fans! Today we are rating Paper Mario and Daisy in RTC. Come by and show your support.

Peridorito

Smash Journeyman
I'm a supporter. I've only played Super Paper Mario but I absolutely love that game. The amount of possible moves he could have is amazing, he would be such a fun character to play as.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion

You won't find a person who hates SS more than me, and initially, I was very upset that CS looked so similar. However, I bought the game to give it a chance and I was very happy with it. I won't lie the battle system holds it back but if you can look past that then Color Splash is one of the funniest, wittiest, and most charming games I've played. It's nowhere near as bad as the abomination before it. I honestly believe if they had just didn't have the cards CS would be seen as a return to form for the series. I'd recommend giving it a shot. As for Paper Jam, I mean it's an ok M&L game but it's not really Paper Mario.

StrangeTamer

Smash Cadet
Add me to the supporter list!
His series has so much personality, it's always fun to discuss different ideas for him.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
What was the most iconic moment for you guys in a Paper Mario game?

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
What was the most iconic moment for you guys in a Paper Mario game?
Geez, where to start? Since I could never choose one single most iconic moment, I'll list some from each game.

PM64: Exploring the mansion, discovering Shy Guy's Toy Box, the trek through Shiver Mountain and the Ice Palace, and the path to Star Haven.

TTYD: All of the Glitz Pit, the surprising twist at Creepy Steeple, Bobbery's backstory, going through the X-Naut Fortress, some of the Peach interludes, and the final boss reveal.

SPM: Working at the mansion, travelling through the Bitlands, the reveal of Mr. L, Sammer Kingdom's destruction, getting sent to the Underwhere, the buildup to the final boss (and the final boss itself), and finally the bittersweet ending. It's one of the few games that can make me tear up.

Hopefully that did enough for you. :p

sman3579

Smash Cadet
If they get rid of Dr. Mario and add Paper Mario with his own unique move set then I am 100% on board with Paper Mario making it.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I feel like Paper Mario doesn't get talked about enough. He's a relevant character from a long running successful franchise who has been highly demanded for quite some time, and has a lot of potential for a unique moveset/playstyle.

It seems development for this Smash started right inbetween the release of Paper Jam and Color Splash, so the character was probably fresh in Sakurai's mind. Sakurai also thought the series was notable enough to add a stage from it. Also Paper Jam helped cement him as a different character from regular Mario, which I feel helps.

I think he's got a good shot.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'm 110% supportive of Paper Mario, along with King K Rool and Ridley. A lot of it is nostalgia since the first 3 games are some of my favorites of all-time, but even without that fact, Paper Mario has limitless moveset potential. Heck, as much as I hate and despise Sticker Star and Color Splash, I know they're a part of the series. I'd support him having moves from all eras of Paper Mario, all that matters to me is that I want him in the game.

smash puffle

Smash Ace
I will support too, Paper Mario has been one of my most requested characters so it would be pretty neat if he could finally be in the game.

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
Hey everybody, I figured I'd mention that the Stage Creation Contest thread is currently accepting entries for "Mario RPG" stage ideas, which includes the Paper Mario series! I whipped up an idea for The Glitz Pit, so feel free to check it out or even submit your own stage creations! I'm going to post a link to the most recent page of the thread where you can see my entry, so just go back to page 1 for the general contest rules if you're interested in entering yourself.

https://smashboards.com/threads/sup...-switch-stage-creation-contest.452851/page-14

Oh, and here's an image I whipped up for the contest, just to entice everyone to check out the full thing. :p

SEGAGameBoy

Smash Journeyman
I've only played 2 Paper Mario Games: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GameCube) and Super Paper Mario (Wii). But, add me to the supporters!

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
I've only played 2 Paper Mario Games: Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door (GameCube) and Super Paper Mario (Wii). But, add me to the supporters!
Well if you're ever only going to play 2 PM games you chose the right ones.
I still highly recommend playing through the original Paper Mario for N64. It still holds up today, and in some ways is even better than its successor. I won't deny that it isn't as pretty as TTYD or SPM, but it's still a very fleshed out game that has a lot to love about it.

Oh, but feel free to skip Sticker Star and Color Splash. Ingesting poison isn't recommended by most doctors. :4drmario:

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617
I still highly recommend playing through the original Paper Mario for N64. It still holds up today, and in some ways is even better than its successor. I won't deny that it isn't as pretty as TTYD or SPM, but it's still a very fleshed out game that has a lot to love about it.

Oh, but feel free to skip Sticker Star and Color Splash. Ingesting poison isn't recommended by most doctors. :4drmario:
get it? cause the worst level from ss is actually about poison :)

Coofle DeDoofle

Smash Apprentice
So, now that Young Link is back and we have 3 Links, think we can get our third Mario? ;)
I was coming here to say the same thing!

Plus, Paper Mario was one of the top choices in the Smash Ballot and many fan polls, so perhaps Sakurai will keep the fanservice train a-rollin' by adding him?

KR_G

Smash Rookie
I don’t have much to say but if there’s a non echo mario character I think paper mario would be most likely here’s a potential moveset
SSBU moveset for Paper Mario
AAA jab combo- hammer strikes
Side A- a slightly bigger hammer strike
Up A- spiny helmet sticker
Down A- tanooki tail sticker
B- picking a partner
Side B- using said partner(partners can be KOed)
Up b- parrykarry
Down b- ground pound
And his aerials are just his stickers/cards he uses in SS and CS
Final Smash- it can be either megashroom from spm or one of the star powers from TTYD
His recolors can be references of older paper mario games and such
If you have any ideas put it in the comments down below

Last edited:

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I've recently been pondering a Paper Mario moveset, so I thought I'd share it here. I decided to go very buddy-heavy, since in the two most iconic Paper Mario games, that's where a lot of the variety comes from. And with two games' worth, he's got plenty of buddies to go around. Now that I think about it, it's very Mega-Man in nature, replacing many regular attacks with buddy abilities.

Jab: Bow's Smack - Lady Bow appears and smacks the foe several times. Multi-hit jab ending with a Fan Smack.
F-Tilt: Love Slap - Ms. Mowz appears and dashes slightly forward, delivering a jolting slap.
D-Tilt: Squirt - Sushie appears and sprays the ground in front of Paper Mario.
U-Tilt: Li'l Shock - Watt appears and releases a quick jolt above Paper Mario.

F-Smash: Bomb - Bombette appears and begins walking forward and charging an explosion. She stops walking shortly, but keeps charging. Explodes upon release. Sometimes replaced with Admiral Bobbery.
D-Smash: Shell Toss - Kooper appears and beings spinning. Upon release, Paper Mario jumps on him, sending him forward for a distance (based on charge), then backward to attack behind. Sometimes replaced with Koops.
U-Smash: Headbonk - Goombario appears and begins charging a Headbonk. Upon release, he jumps up then falls back down, dealing damage both ways. Sometimes replaced with Goombella.

Shield: Water Block - An aesthetic effect, the shield bubble has a watery effect to it.
Spot Dodge: Outta Sight - Lady Bow makes Paper Mario disappear momentarily.
Roll: Spin Dash - Paper Mario spins to the side, past the opponent.
Dash: Paper Mario hops on Gonzales Jr's back and they run forward
Dash Attack: Spin Attack - Paper Mario spins into the enemies. Deals light damage on hit, but stops Mario's movement and has almost no ending lag, making it easy to combo from.

N-Special: Hammer Smash - Paper Mario lifts his Ultra Hammer and begins charging. Upon release, he slams the ground, damaging and briefly stunning grounded enemies around him. Range is increased the longer the charge is held. Enemies hit by the hammer take additional damage.
F-Special: Sky Dive - Parakarry appears and begins charging a Sky Dive. Charging doesn't add damage, but allows Paper Mario to aim. Fires upon release.
D-Special: Fiery Jinx - Vivian appears and lights the surrounding area on fire. Enemies take damage while in the fire.
U-Special: Cloud Nine - Lakilester appears, and Paper Mario hops on his cloud. The duo can move freely in all directions for the duration. While riding the cloud, pressing the Attack button will cause Lakilester to throw spinies in a short arc in the direction he's facing (projectile only, doesn't turn into an enemy).

N-Air: Power Shock - Watt appears and electrifies Paper Mario, dealing damage to all enemies he's in contact with.
F-Air: Body Slam - Madame Flurrie appears and performs a ramming attack in front of Paper Mario.
D-Air: Ground Pound - Gonzales Jr. appears and Pounds enemies below Paper Mario.
U-Air: Hammer Swing - Paper Mario swings his hammer above his head.

Final Smash: Star Beam - Twink flies forward. When he hits an enemy, he hovers above them for a few seconds as the seven Star Spirits fly in and surround the enemy. When they all gather, an huge beam blasts down from the sky, damaging the target and anyone else caught in the beam.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I have a feeling that we'll get a non echo Mario character and with Waluigi in AT form, Pauline on an Odyssey stage, and Toad guarding TWO Princesses, it's come down to Captain Toad, Geno and, of course, Paper Mario.

Top Bottom