• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Paper Mario Flips the Switch! -- Paper Mario Support Thread

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I fully support his inclusion as long as they do two key things.

1. Different move set from Mario/Dr. Mario
2. They reference his Paper Mario 64/TYD history. Not his terrible other games that came after.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
What he should do is flip the direction his games are going in

Who knows? Maybe if goes far back enough we can get a Mario RPG 2 instead

Last edited:

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
I fully support his inclusion as long as they do two key things.

1. Different move set from Mario/Dr. Mario
2. They reference his Paper Mario 64/TYD/Super history. Not his terrible other games that came after.
Fixed that for you mate

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Haha you made a funny. *claps*

Look you can’t sell me on Sticker Star and Color Splash. Nothing ever needed to be TYD2. It’s not like all of us hated Paper Mario 64 because it wasn’t Super Mario RPG 2: Geno’s Quest. Also there was so many memorial characters in the first two Paper Mario’s. The gameplay was perfect. I guess I just thought games like Sticker Star and Color Splash we’re poorly executed. It’s definitley a popular opinion. But hey it shouldn’t stop Paper Mario from getting a roster spot in Smash. I have no doubt he’ll be well represented.

Organization XIII

Smash Champion
Haha you made a funny. *claps*

Look you can’t sell me on Sticker Star and Color Splash. Nothing ever needed to be TYD2. It’s not like all of us hated Paper Mario 64 because it wasn’t Super Mario RPG 2: Geno’s Quest. Also there was so many memorial characters in the first two Paper Mario’s. The gameplay was perfect. I guess I just thought games like Sticker Star and Color Splash we’re poorly executed. It’s definitley a popular opinion. But hey it shouldn’t stop Paper Mario from getting a roster spot in Smash. I have no doubt he’ll be well represented.
We weren't trying to sell you on SS or CS they aren't great. I mean for me personally CS isn't bad like a C or C- though SS is complete garbage, however, you also said Super was bad which is false Super Paper Mario is a great game that is able to stand with the other 2 games. And some people actually did write off Paper Mario for not being SMRPG 2.

AIM0001

Smash Lord
Ya they wrote off Paper Mario 64 until they played it and realized different can be good. Super Paper Mario might be the only decent game out of the post TYD games. But if I were to imagine a Paper Mario move set then I’d want help from my companions from the first two PM games and not from the pixel fairy things. Everything from the level design, areas, and the music is far more superior in the first two games. It’s only my opinion. It’s not like I wouldn’t pick Paper Mario at all if he wasn’t based on the first two PM games. I’d still bet the final product would be main material.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
We haven't seen the Paper Mario stage at all, which makes me think we could see it revealed along side a playable Paper Mario. It's probably a dumb conclusion to make, but I'm a dumb person. :p

Anyway I think Paper Mario has a good shot. The timing of Paper Jam and Color Splash certainly don't hurt his chances.

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Paper Mario... that man made of paper takes me way back. Specifically, when I played the thousand year door as a child and the days when I supported him to be in Sm4sh.

Now Imma back to support Paper Mario once again for Smash Ultimate! Besides, if we can have 3 Link's, why not have 3 Mario's too? :p

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
The Paper Mario games are still big favorites of mine, so although I'm pretty satisfied with what we already have, I can't help still wanting him in.

I don't think I'm as hopeful as I was during Smash 4 speculation, but I still would love it if he made it in anyway. :)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I wonder if they're holding back the Paper Mario stage for him...

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I just started replaying TTYD - hadn’t played it for some years, but it was my favorite GC game - and man do I miss Paper Mario. Like old school Paper Mario.

Nostalgia hit in and now I really want him in the game. I’m throwing in my support.

I want a fight with Link/Young Link/Toon Link vs. Mario/Dr. Mario/Paper Mario

Wouldo

Smash Rookie
I think Paper Mario's chance of being included is at an all-time high.

Sakurai isn't adding many new fighters due to time constraints... implementing Paper Mario as a unique newcomer would relatively take very little time and effort because of his 2D design.

With the return of all veterans, there are currently 3 Links, so 3 Marios doesn't seem all that farfetched anymore...

The Paper Mario stage is nowhere to be found, leading me to believe it'll finally be showcased with Paper Mario after his reveal.

In conclusion, Paper Mario is a highly popular character who would take very little time to add to Smash Bros. Both the developers and the fans win.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just started replaying TTYD - hadn’t played it for some years, but it was my favorite GC game - and man do I miss Paper Mario. Like old school Paper Mario.

Nostalgia hit in and now I really want him in the game. I’m throwing in my support.

I want a fight with Link/Young Link/Toon Link vs. Mario/Dr. Mario/Paper Mario
I know the feeling. I picked it up again a few years ago and unlike a lot of games I grew up with, it was exactly as awesome as I remembered it to be. Better now I was brave enough to take the forced failure n the Glitz pitz.

Impa4Smash

Smash Lord
I know the feeling. I picked it up again a few years ago and unlike a lot of games I grew up with, it was exactly as awesome as I remembered it to be. Better now I was brave enough to take the forced failure n the Glitz pitz.
So much variety from chapter to chapter. It's amazing

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
count me in as a supporter! my hopes as many of ours probably are is that they take his moveset from the first two games.
maybe even making partners a part of his moveset!

I will always defend Super as a great game till the day I die.
100 times yes! sure it was a bit different. but still wonderful in it's own ways!

I think Paper Mario's chance of being included is at an all-time high.

Sakurai isn't adding many new fighters due to time constraints... implementing Paper Mario as a unique newcomer would relatively take very little time and effort because of his 2D design.

With the return of all veterans, there are currently 3 Links, so 3 Marios doesn't seem all that farfetched anymore...

The Paper Mario stage is nowhere to be found, leading me to believe it'll finally be showcased with Paper Mario after his reveal.

In conclusion, Paper Mario is a highly popular character who would take very little time to add to Smash Bros. Both the developers and the fans win.
that is a good point that I never had though before! but yeah a 2D character would make for much cheaper animation work! although he will probably still flip around in 3D and fold up. but still lot less work

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Haven't dropped by before, but Paper Mario has my support.

When Waluigi was disconfirmed and everyone began to think Captain Toad was less likely, I thought for sure PM would be the next logical choice for a Mario newcomer, but to my surprise, everyone has more faith in Geno despite Paper Mario being a popular request as well. Because of this, I feel like PM has become criminally underrated. He might have "Mario" in his name, but I know he'll end up nothing like his 3-dimensional counterpart. Who knows? Maybe Sakurai will do something crazy and make him one of the most unique characters on the roster.

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
I support Paper Mario for Smash. I enjoyed the first two games in the series and strongly believe he would be the best character to represent the Mario RPGs. "Just a third Mario* be da**ed.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
I don't understand how he hasn't been added or even that heavily considered for past games. He definitely should've been added way back in Brawl replacing Dr. Mario. Now I just feel like it's weird timing. Don't get me wrong, I want him super badly, but I'm feeling like it's unlikely with Daisy being added and Geno / Captain Toad being frontrunners.

Despite my pessimism, you can add me as a supporter because I'd love to see it

SuperSceptile15

Smash Lord
Borrowing from ideas suggested by other posters, I came up with a moveset that I think could work for our paper friend:

>Neutral Special - Hammer Throw (Paper Mario 64/TTYD)
>Side Special - Koopa Shell (Paper Mario 64/TTYD/Sticker Star/Color Splash)
>Up Special (on ground)- Spring Jump (TTYD/Super Paper Mario)
>Up Special (in midair): Airplane Mario (TTYD)
>Down Special - Copy Block (Paper Jam)
>Final Smash - Summoning the Star Spirits which perform a Star Beam (Paper Mario)
>AAA jab combo- hammer strikes
>Side A tilt- a slightly bigger hammer strike
>Up A tilt- spike helmet sticker (Sticker Star)
>Down A tilt- tanooki tail sticker, which allows Paper Mario to tail spin an opponent (Sticker Star)
>Dash Attack- Quickly turns into Tube Mario and rolls into the opponent (TTYD)
>Forward Smash- Ultra Hammer Strike (TTYD)
>Down Smash- Brings out Bobbery and makes him explode (TTYD)
>Up Smash- Lemon Thing Battle Card, which explodes in a burst and leaves the foe stunned if it sweetspots (Color Splash)
>Down Air- Summons Thudley and performs a ground pound (Super Paper Mario)
>Neutral Air- Spin Attack (Paper Mario)
>Forward Air- Kick
>Back Air- Tosses a pebble (Paper Mario)
>Up Air- Spike Helmet Battle Card, which very briefly protects Paper Mario from an attack from above and damages an enemy (Color Splash)
>Pummel- squeezes the foe with gloves
>Forward Throw- Summons Goombella to perform a head bonk (TTYD)
>Back Throw- Summons Lady Bow to slap the opponent (Paper Mario)
>Up Throw- Ultra Jump Strike (Paper Mario)
>Down Throw- Summons Vivian to bring Mario down below and strike from the shadows (TTYD)

A unique mechanic exclusive to Paper Mario: Gathering star power from a hidden crowd (Every time Paper Mario taunts or presses the A button right after hitting a foe, he gets star power. When he has built up enough power, he temporarily receives less damage and knockback and his Final Smash is powered up to be Peach Beam.)

Last edited:

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
Paper Mario isn't really that high in my most wanted newcomers but he'd be cool to have and I love the games. I made these for you guys

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
So I guess Smashboards decided about month ago that I was no longer interested in Paper Mario and stopped sending me notifications, despite my ownership over the thread. Well, I finally realized what was going on and I'm back now. :p Anyways, you guys have come up with some great stuff during my accidental absence, and I'm glad to see all the activity. The supporters list is also updated, so sorry for the wait, haha. Hopefully Smashboards will refrain from being mean to me in the future.

Oh, and a user on Twitter by the name of Neogandwatch posted an incredible piece replicating the style of the Smash Newcomer artwork.
So yeah, check out their Twitter page, because they did a fantastic job on this!

Last edited:

Snipe

Smash Cadet
By the looks of it, Reddit really loves Paper Mario. I would like some personal changes to the movesets on that post, but hopefully, this shows how wanted he is for smash to Nintendo!

Androobie

Banned via Warnings
Put me down as a supporter, thank you in advance. Paper Mario has been one of my most wanted characters, even back in the Melee days. If the fink-rats at Nintendo don’t put him in, I will have fury.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Up for the support list, Have played every game in the series[Yes, even Sticker Star] and I really think he has a good chance this time around since last time he couldn't compete with higher tier picks like Rosalina and Bowser Jr.

Paper_Marzio

Smash Cadet
Welll his stage was shown during the direct. What do you guys think of his chances still?
Well with this direct I've come up with some pros and cons.

Pros:
Captain Toad is virtually de-confirmed due to being in the back-round of New Donk, so that clears up a competing Mario Rep slot and a frontrunner in virtually every Mario Poll for the Mario Rep.
No Mario reps confirmed, so we don't know who the Mario Rep is this time around.
Cons:
Paper Mario stage is revealed, We can't use the 'They're saving it for Paper Mario' this time around.
Sakurai is obviously aiming towards Fan Favorites like K.Rool this time around, and I'm afraid he's sticking to the ballot, which Paper Mario unfortunately be a year behind on in terms of support.

Of course, this is just speculations this time around over a sample size of what, E3 and 1 direct? But if this trend of picking Fan Favorites keeps on going I think Paper Mario might be left in the dust due to Geno's popularity, along with unironic Sakurai Bias, although I certainly wouldn't mind him since he represents the grandfather of not only the Mario and Luigi series, but also the Paper Mario series which I wouldn't mind honestly. However there's a bright side to this Geno deal for Paper Mario.

Square Enix is Stingy with their representation in Smash. Cloud only kept their Two songs from Smash 4, and that clearly didn't expand at all during the Direct, so there is a good possibility Square Enix X Nintendo relations degraded and Paper Mario might have a chance to dive in as the only capable Mario Rep left with Waluigi AT'd, Captain Toad Backround'd, and Geno potentially split by third parties, or possibly other Square Enix reps like Dragon Quest.

Last edited:

MegaMarioMan9

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HelpMii
3DS FC
4811-7447-1151
It's definitely a unique situation we're in. Paper Mario and Geno are the only realizable Mario characters left at this point, but it's difficult to say whether or not one or the other will make the cut. Who knows, we might not be getting any more Mario characters in the base roster; it's really just conjecture at this point. The Paper Mario stage returning doesn't mean anything towards or against Paper Mario's inclusion. He might not make it after all, or they could potentially add another brand new Paper Mario stage if they felt the need.

What I DO know is... I think we can expect some more Paper Mario music in the game, regardless of whether he's a playable character. I'm really holding out for at least a couple of new remixes of some classic Paper Mario songs, along with a number of ported songs. Hopefully Sakurai throws us Paper Mario fans a bone in some form or another.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't say that being a background character is grounds for deconfirmation. Just look at Toon Link in the Spirit Tracks stage. If he's not in the match, he's driving the train. If he is, it's someone else.

Top Bottom