• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Data Palutena's Match Ups - NEW FORMAT: ALL CHARACTER DISCUSSION

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
If he tries to recover low, it might be a good idea to chase him offstage and try to hit him with either nair, dair, and, depending on the stage, bair.
His shoryuken has a ton of priority, so trying to edge guard Ryu by challenging it only puts you at a disadvantage since it eats through nair and dair. Bair still works, but getting the positioning to land it can be a bit tricky. If he recovers low I usually go for a ledge-cancelled Warp ledge trump (that's a mouthful). Shoryuken sweeps the ledge as it sweet-spots, so you can't just stand at the ledge waiting for him. Going for a ledge trump like this takes some good timing and especially spacing, since not warping close enough to the ledge will make it so you take longer to cancel, so it's still a little risky.

I mean, I guess you COULD just shield, then ledge trump like normal, but I like to get a little flashy.

Last edited:

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
His shoryuken has a ton of priority, so trying to edge guard Ryu by challenging it only puts you at a disadvantage since it eats through nair and dair. Bair still works, but getting the positioning to land it can be a bit tricky. If he recovers low I usually go for a ledge-cancelled Warp ledge trump (that's a mouthful). Shoryuken sweeps the ledge as it sweet-spots, so you can't just stand at the ledge waiting for him. Going for a ledge trump like this takes some good timing and especially spacing, since not warping close enough to the ledge will make it so you take longer to cancel, so it's still a little risky.

I mean, I guess you COULD just shield, then ledge trump like normal, but I like to get a little flashy.
I was actually referring to nairing or dairing hit during the Tatsu.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Anybody want to play the Palutena vs Ryu matchup? I have a bit of free time now, so I'd like to see if I can figure anything out about it.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
From my experience with Ryu, you want to watch his dash attack, fair and forward smash because of the super armor. Typically spacing with n-air or f-tilt works well here, otherwise you might entice him into shield breaking. If you HAVE to, shield. If not, just run away and keep your distance. Hadouken variants are slow and easy to reflect but make sure he doesn't use them to mask an aerial like some villagers may try with lloyd. Sometimes jumping away is the best option. His grab range doesn't appear to be very long, so jab or reflect him if he gets in way too close.

Last edited:

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I don't know a lot about Ryu yet, despite having played against him many times by this point. I have a hard time remembering all of his moves lol.

At this point I'm able to contribute...

-Watch out for his d-air when he's edgeguarding you. It comes out really fast, so make sure you're a safe distance away from him when you warp. I wouldn't... ever warp back onto the stage I think. There's two things that might happen: A.) you land in front of him and die to a SHORYomgifihavetohearthisonemoretime or B.) you land a "safe" distance away from him, and he Side-B's into you, which oddly enough is.. a kill move? so yeah I wouldn't warp onto the stage in this matchup.
-Autoreticle beats hadoukens and the last two shots can still hit. Your projectile is better
-Remember that his Down B can be broken if it takes more than two hits. HINT HINT ALMOST ALL OF HER MOVES (well not really, but jab 3, n-air, u-air, u-tilt come to mind)
-Uh i thought I had something else but I guess I forgot ! my friend is a ryu main though so next time I fight him maybe I'll add something...

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
From my experience with Ryu, you want to watch his dash attack, fair and forward smash because of the super armor. Typically spacing with n-air or f-tilt works well here, otherwise you might entice him into shield breaking. If you HAVE to, shield. If not, just run away and keep your distance. Hadouken variants are slow and easy to reflect but make sure he doesn't use them to mask an aerial like some villagers may try with lloyd. Sometimes jumping away is the best option. His grab range doesn't appear to be very long, so jab or reflect him if he gets in way too close.
None of the moves you described have armour. The only one is focus attack (down special), which also allows him cancel
to change his air momentum, which is good for him since he normally sucks at it.

When spacing with fairs, be mindful of his heavy jab (the diagonal kick) since it can kill around 120%.

On the ground Ryu will mainly space both with his hadoukens and his dtilts, and dsmash is a pretty vicious poke that can easily
hit the ledge when spaced right.

If you counter a light attack from him there's a chance he may just shoryuken you before your attack comes out.

Ryu's upper body is exposed during Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, though it's pretty punishable on shield too. Pay attention to what he says during the move and you can tell how far he'll travel.

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Ryu's upper body is exposed during Tatsumaki Senpuu Kyaku, though it's pretty punishable on shield too. Pay attention to what he says during the move and you can tell how far he'll travel.
Not just the upper body. Every part of his Body can be hit except the leg that stands out.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I'm noticing that not many people here know how Ryu plays. The reason that Ryu is such a difficult character to understand is that he doesn't play like a traditional Smash Bros character who happens to have a unique moveset. He literally plays like a Street Fighter character in a Smash Bros game.

Ryu players tend to be very focused on controlling specific spaces and gaining positional advantages, and in the neutral, they will often attempt to accomplish this by pressuring their opponents with Shakunetsu Hadoukens, playing footsies, slowly racking up damage with pokes, and DPing them when they make a mistake. With that in mind, often the best way to fight Ryu is to focus on not letting him take control of the stage and attempting to corner him.

Even though nobody mentioned it, I feel it is important to discuss his combo game. While Ryu does have a lot of 60+% combos, he generally can not convert into them off stray hits. Many of them require very specific setups, so he can only really land them if his opponent either leaves themself open or he takes a massive risk. Edit: Off stray hits, he will usually go for a basic combo involving canceling his tilts into a True special.

Anyways, once I have a bit of free time, I'll write down some matchup specific information. I just wanted to write this out in order to help everybody understand Ryu a bit more.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm noticing that not many people here know how Ryu plays. The reason that Ryu is such a difficult character to understand is that he doesn't play like a traditional Smash Bros character who happens to have a unique moveset. He literally plays like a Street Fighter character in a Smash Bros game.

Ryu players tend to be very focused on controlling specific spaces and gaining positional advantages, and in the neutral, they will often attempt to accomplish this by pressuring their opponents with Shakunetsu Hadoukens, playing footsies, slowly racking up damage with pokes, and DPing them when they make a mistake. With that in mind, often the best way to fight Ryu is to focus on not letting him take control of the stage and attempting to corner him.

Even though nobody mentioned it, I feel it is important to discuss his combo game. While Ryu does have a lot of 60+% combos, he generally can not convert into them off stray hits. Many of them require very specific setups, so he can only really land them if his opponent either leaves themself open or he takes a massive risk. Edit: Off stray hits, he will usually go for a basic combo involving canceling his tilts into a True special.

Anyways, once I have a bit of free time, I'll write down some matchup specific information. I just wanted to write this out in order to help everybody understand Ryu a bit more.
The only tilt he has that cancels into specials is heavy dtilt, and maybe the first hit of jab.

Still it is true that Ryu doesn't generally get the bulk of his damage in from combos; many of of his pokes cause a large
amount damage on their own, like fair and dsmash.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
The only tilt he has that cancels into specials is heavy dtilt, and maybe the first hit of jab.

Still it is true that Ryu doesn't generally get the bulk of his damage in from combos; many of of his pokes cause a large
amount damage on their own, like fair and dsmash.
Actually, light dtilt, strong dtilt, and light utilt are all special cancelable, and I believe jab 1 is also cancelable. I could be wrong, but I don't think strong utilt is special cancelable. I think it just happens to naturally combo into Shoryuken. Even if it is special cancelable, it isn't as useful as the other moves due to Shoryuken causing more damage at the beginning of the move as well as it not being able to combo into either Hadouken or Tatsumaki Senpukyaku.

Fair is not a good poke. In my opinion, it is more of a high damage combo extender due to having a very good launch angle. In general, Ryu's aerials are not that good in the neutral due to being very unsafe on shield, with the only exception being nair due it being good for shutting down dash grab attempts.

I know strong dtilt and dsmash are both very good pokes when they are spaced well, and I believe strong jab is a really good poke as well. Light ftilt is also a poke, but it is not as useful as his other pokes due to it lacking range.

Also, just to clarify one thing I mentioned earlier, the reason Ryu isn't very concerned about damage building despite being a combo character is due to how strong the True Shoryuken is. Just to give you an idea of how powerful it is, based off of when Jigglypuff and Mario die to that move, Palutena is most likely at kill percent in the early 70s.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Actually, light dtilt, strong dtilt, and light utilt are all special cancelable, and I believe jab 1 is also cancelable. I could be wrong, but I don't think strong utilt is special cancelable. I think it just happens to naturally combo into Shoryuken. Even if it is special cancelable, it isn't as useful as the other moves due to Shoryuken causing more damage at the beginning of the move as well as it not being able to combo into either Hadouken or Tatsumaki Senpukyaku.

Fair is not a good poke. In my opinion, it is more of a high damage combo extender due to having a very good launch angle. In general, Ryu's aerials are not that good in the neutral due to being very unsafe on shield, with the only exception being nair due it being good for shutting down dash grab attempts.

I know strong dtilt and dsmash are both very good pokes when they are spaced well, and I believe strong jab is a really good poke as well. Light ftilt is also a poke, but it is not as useful as his other pokes due to it lacking range.

Also, just to clarify one thing I mentioned earlier, the reason Ryu isn't very concerned about damage building despite being a combo character is due to how strong the True Shoryuken is. Just to give you an idea of how powerful it is, based off of when Jigglypuff and Mario die to that move, Palutena is most likely at kill percent in the early 70s.
I think the thing with weak tilts (except ftilt) is that they don't actually cancel into specials, but their endlag is so short that the end
result is much the same anyway. Also I never said strong utilt was special cancellable, I said strong dtilt. Strong utilt is mostly used as an easy finisher for light utilts or as anti-air with it's disjoint. Though if you're at the percents where shoryu can combo from strong utilt you may as well for extra percent. Maybe use the simple up b version if you're concerned about staling since the b and SF versions of specials apparently stale separately.

Should also be specified that some of Ryu's aerials aren't that unsafe on shield when used properly (crossup fair for shield damage
or just retreating fair, for example), it's just Ryu's garbage air deceleration makes them less flexible than they could be while
also making jumps for him a much greater commitment than most. You know, like in a real Street Fighter game. Real Ryu players will be using his initial dash (also a holdover from Street Fighter) for quick movements.

Though I think you're overstating the threat of SF Shoryuken just a bit. While it's certainly a vicious punish that commands respect, it's small horizontal range makes it hard to use optimally against good spacing so getting it to land at kill percents generally requires a fairly significant misstep from the opponent either in spacing, whiffing a laggy move or getting hit by focus attack. But then again, it's true that Palutena doesn't really have a shortage of laggy moves...

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Sorry, I misread your earlier post. I still believe that light dtilt and light utilt are cancelable, but even if they aren't they confirm all of his specials so you don't want to get hit by them.

Also, I wasn't trying to make True Shoryuken sound like the greatest punish move of all time, I was merely stating how early it killed. It is main reason why Ryu can focus so much on gaining stage control and putting his opponents into situations where they have little to no good options and less on trying to land his massive combos.

As for Fair, I'll admit I didn't think of that. When I play Ryu, my tend to focus on pure ground game in the neutral, so I didn't think of trying to cross up my opponent with it. I can also see retreating fair being good in his disadvantaged state, but since his neutral state is so heavily focused on controlling certain spacings that I'm not sure how much use it would be then.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Is this thread still alive?,?
I just decided to join the Palutena forums and help out a little. Though I'm not sure what to do since it seems everyone's inactive...

If anyone visits, I'd recommend talking about hmm... maybe Captain Falcon or Mario. Whatever your choosing is future viewers who'd like to contribute.
I'll be looking around these forums more.
Waiting...
*Hides in a bush until someone comes

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
To all Palutenas out there, the Rosalina sub-forum has a match-up discussion thread all set up to analyze Rosalina's match-up against Palutena. Got anything to share for the Rosalina vs. Palutena match-up? Then head to the following thread link...

http://smashboards.com/threads/411699/

In terms of the rules, be sure to go to the directory thread.

http://smashboards.com/threads/404194/

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
We still haven't gotten anywhere close to finishing all of the match-ups, so I'm gonna attempt to revive this thread by throwing in a few opinions and see if something gets rolling:

Sheik: Neutral-ish

I've never had a ton of trouble against Sheik players around my skill level; while her combo game is a lot better and she's a lot quicker it feels like it's still possible for Palutena to keep her space. Palutena needs to work hard on maintaining control throughout the match, but it's not impossible and it's not as bad as fighting say Pikachu or Diddy. Maybe slightly worse than neutral, but I don't really see it any worse than 55:45 imo

Diddy: Very Bad

Small opponents are usually trickier for Palutena to deal with. Combine that with his combo game, speed, and the fact that it's almost impossible to keep control / space because he excels at getting right back into your face after you knock him away. It's very improbable that you'll even be able to get any combos on him if he's a good Diddy player, so this is an opponent I'd really rather switch to a secondary to fight

Pikachu: Very Bad

This is another matchup that I would really rather just not choose to play Palutena. Pikachu is small, fast, and annoying. It's hard for Palutena to get combos on it, or many hits at all for that matter. Its light weight is your one saving grace in this match, as an early U-Smash or B-Air can seal your victory, but it can kill you just as easily.

Ryu: Neutral

This matchup feels really close to 50:50 for me, if not slightly BETTER in Palutena's favor. Ryu's the combo king, but Palutena can outspace him and outmaneuver him in a lot of cases. He lacks range in neutral, which Palutena has, and the ranged moves he does have are telegraphed.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
So am I supposed to add to your analysis or add characters? Just wondering

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
So am I supposed to add to your analysis or add characters? Just wondering
Well, these 4 were ones that I had experience with / an opinion of off the top of my head; if others have things to add, we could focus on these 4 for now, or someone could bring up another MU that they have experience with.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Hmmm... Very well then... I'll try to add my own bit

Sheik:
First I'll try covering her basic statistics then move set.

Against Sheik, her speed in general makes most available that we have become a risk in most cases. Though we have the movement speed to punish too, our options in this case become limited as Sheik's low-ending lag attacks can easily allow her to roll away from say an attempted grab and give her a free punish. As such it's best to pick your attacks carefully and try not to expose yourself carelessly during early percentages as us Palutena players are also susceptible to her wide variety of combos.

Though this even with that said, Sheik's attacks do lack the capabilities to be very overwhelming as most of our attacks are more ranged in comparison to hers.

Jab is a handy move in that it can keep Sheik players from simply running to us and dash attacking (or dash grabbing) as it outranges both moves and can lead to a free grab follow-up in most cases.

Side tilt would not be a recommended move for this fight as the attack has a dissuading amount of recovery for me to recommend using it. The reward for risking to use such a move is minimal since 11% (with both hits I believe that's the %) with a move that has very minimal knock back is quite the gamble in this matchup. Although if you'd like to pivot side tilt in order to read a roll, the circumstances might be a bit difference but nonetheless should still be considered with careful planning.

Down tilt is a fast poke and spacing tool that exceeds the distance of most of Sheik's tilts (and smash attacks) along with also having enough speed to rival our opponent.

Up tilt is a great move to use if Sheik were to approach from the air. So long as she's above you and clearly attempting to attack, you should be able to hit her as the priority of this move outmatches all of her options (iirc).

One more attack to use would be Palutena's dash attack, it's a very fast attack that hits hard and has a shield property which beats Sheik's dash attack as a result of the shield. However, be very sure it will hit as the long recovery lag and slowdown that's taken when using this move makes it easy to punish if Sheik were to avoid or shield the attack. Thus, the move should only be used to punish Sheik. The only reason I would think of using the dash attack and not grab would be because it can lead to a K.O. at high percents.

Now as for aerials, our moves are actually able to stand a chance against Sheik's mobile attacks.

Forward air stands as a good poke against Sheik whether she be on the ground or air with it's nice bit of percentage and ability to also outrange Sheik's forward air and nair

Neutral air would be a good move to use during attempts to juggle or combo as it usually is on most match-ups. Although with Sheik's invincibility during most of her Vanish attack (Up+B) along with the scary amounts of knock back upon getting hit. Using neutral air or any form of edguard is a risk that far too risky if on high percents.

Backwards air is best used in this matchup to act as a wall with a reverse b.air (I think it's called... the one where you quickly flick to the opposite direction of your opponent so you can do b.air on a short hop...) It can easily punish Sheik's neutral air and f.air

Down air is like most cases not a useful move as it's hard to land especially for the somewhat slim Sheik.

Lastly is up air which is much like neutral air where it should be used for juggling and as a combo ender. However the move is also good to use if Sheik were directly above you.

That's about it for attacks. I can't say much about neutral since I think that'd be a bit much for once post. But uh... hopefully I'm contributing...

Last edited:

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Now that I have some more down-time, I'd like to continue with the default special attacks given to Palutena.

First would be autoreticle which as most of us are well aware of is a zoning tool. Though, with the delay that comes shortly before firing, it's best not to use this even if Sheik were at max distance as Sheik's low crouch-like position during her dash coupled with her high speed makes it easy for her to run through the three shots.
It's best to not use this during neutral but more so as a get-up mixup.

*By get-up mixup, I would mean say if you knocked Sheik down with your down tilt. You could follow up with an autoreticle which she would get hit with if she did anything but roll away from you.

Next would be reflect which isn't exactly useful what with Sheik only having one projectile attack: Needle Storm (B).
Needle Storm at max produces 5 needles I believe and can be quite a hassle with it's 10~12% percentage damage. But with reflect, this threat can easily be nullified.
From my observations, a majority of Sheik players only use Needle Storm from far away to stop an opponent's approach. Most uses of Needle Storm are also used fully charged to make use of that % damage. So I don't think you'll need to be careful with Needle Storm unless the two conditions are met. 1) Needle Storm is fully charged 2) You're far away from Sheik

Down B or Counter is well... a counter... It's slower compared to the Fire Emblem cast and not quite as ranged when it comes to vertical hitboxes. Sheik doesn't prioritize in power but speed. Thus, this move will usually just be punished and not yield results.
It's not the greatest option to avoid an attack, but Counter is all up to your discretion in this matchup.

Lastly is Warp, Palutena's mobility move. Warp allows the player to vanish and move to a different location depending on what direction you input. With such an ability, this move allows you to maneuver easily while leaving the Sheik player in a brief guessing game of where you might reappear to. This move gives Palutena the privilege of having an easier time to recovery back to the stage compared to other characters. Like other opponents, Warp also can be used to escape pressure and/or reset the match back to neutral.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Overall though, I'd say that Palutena at least has a chance when fighting against Sheik as her aerial game rivals Sheik and can space a Sheik player very easily. Sheik's pressure is somewhat mitigated with our movement able to match hers. Power however, leans more towards us with our smash attacks, up air, and dash attack having enough knock back to kill on high percents. One thing to at least note would be Sheik's weight as it's somewhat in the Middle-Light scale of the cast. With her current weight, she might be able to escape out of combos (especially down throw combos) more easily than Mario but can be killed easier.

To summarize these overall observations of our Palutena vs. Sheik Matchup:
Palutena - Sheik
Speed: 45 - 50
Power: 65 - 35
Range: 60 - 40
Attack Speed: 30 - 70

Final: 45 - 55

*Edit: Crap I didn't realize I switched the two. ^_^;; Thanks for notifying M.Brawler!

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Overall though, I'd say that Palutena at least has a chance when fighting against Sheik as her aerial game rivals Sheik and can space a Sheik player very easily. Sheik's pressure is somewhat mitigated with our movement able to match hers. Power however, leans more towards us with our smash attacks, up air, and dash attack having enough knock back to kill on high percents. One thing to at least note would be Sheik's weight as it's somewhat in the Middle-Light scale of the cast. With her current weight, she might be able to escape out of combos (especially down throw combos) more easily than Mario but can be killed easier.

To summarize these overall observations of our Palutena vs. Sheik Matchup:
Palutena - Sheik
Speed: 45 - 50
Power: 65 - 35
Range: 60 - 40
Attack Speed: 70 - 30

Final: 45 - 55
I think you got attack speed mixed up there.

GerudoKong

Smash Apprentice
There's a really really good palutena user at my school. Haven't been able to beat him once, just like half the people there. Who might be the best matchup against her out of the characters I'm best with? Falco, Ganon, or Lucario?

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Out of those, I would say Lucario. He has good kill setups and we do not. If we lose first stock, coming back against an aura/rage filled Lucario is difficult. I feel like he also has better capitalization.

I would say she does pretty okay against all three of them compared to some others, though.

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
Indeed...
Lucario would easily lose to say a character like Captain Falcon who's fast and hits hard.
All offense can beat the potentially immense amount of power Lucario can get.

And that's kinda the thing... Palutena's moves don't exactly capitalize on the speed aspect per se...
Sure there's power, which I could easily nab us a kill if we landed any killing moves.

Though, the quickest move I can think of is grab to up air and even that's a bit risky with Lucario being decently fast.
Up tilt for Palutena might not be so bad since that does kill and beat almost any ground (palutena) to air (Lucario) attempts...
Well... there might be Lucario's d.air which could beat Palutena's u.tilt. Though I'm not sure...

I'll check that out.

During the meantime I suppose talking about Lucario would be a nice change of subject.
Unfortunately for Maraphy, I don't have enough data from players to make any sufficient analysis of the other characters listed. Thus explaining the absence of an attempt to grant matchup knowledge. (Please forgive me)

Anyways... Lucario's d.air to Palutena's u.tilt
Who would win...

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Palutena's Utilt hits high enough that a shorthop Dair of Lucario has no hope of out-ranging it, but he does have aerials that will out speed it, and gets good results off of a grab if he tomahawks . As far as falling into it from above, if Dair will out-space it, it's a very precise distance an I cannot recreate it using my foot to play Palutena lol, might want to double check with a real person.

I do know a little about the Lucario matchup so I suppose I'll talk about that; one of my state's best players is a Lucario and I practice with him a fair amount.

Lucario doesn't have the strongest neutral in the world, and because of it, we actually do okay against him in neutral. Short hop fast fall fairs and jabs do a good job of keeping him honest. Auto reticule is somewhat dangerous to use, because depending on his percent, a aura sphere charged even a little bit will beat it out and we'll lose out in the damage department. He has fairly decent options to approach. Short hop double aerials mean that he really does have a worthwhile mixup on shield, since the second aerial will hit you if you shield drop, but he can easily land and grab you as well. Utilt is an option, but I don't use it much as it's painful to whiff and slower to come out than Lucario's aerials.

Once neutral ends, the matchup turns a bit sour. Lucario has fairly good both advantage and disadvantage states. Lucario has some decent capitalization off of his grabs, make sure to DI his Uthrow or else he'll get two aerials off on you at lower percents. When he's ready to kill, he has the option to use the charged aura sphere on your landing if he catches you airdodging or similar, and he can combo the hits on the charge into Usmash for a pretty reliable kill. The sphere charge also gives him crazy good coverage of our options on the ledge if he faces away from it. The ball covers standard get up and jump, and if you roll he can fire the sphere to catch you. He can also shield at any time, so while we can try to ledge hop a spaced fair or some such, we can get punished very hard for it as well since it's all too easy for him to jump out of shield and dair us for a stage spike on regrab. Aura Sphere is dangerous on our landing; unlike many reflectors, it can sneak in underneath a we're coming down. With a lot of aura, the grab portion of side-b will kill, so treat him like he has a kill throw and don't get grabbed.

On the defensive, Lucario has the fantastic option to wavebounce the aura sphere charge. This instantly reverses his momentum while still allowing him to air dodge at any time or shield when he hit's the ground. And of course if he catches you in it at a reasonable percent, you eat an Usmash. Bair through it if you see it, let him know we're not afraid of very active hitboxes. He also has a tremendous amount of control over his recovery and a huge distance to it when he's at higher percent. Predicting where he's going to land can be frustrating, and while it's not exactly scary, the hitbox on his Up-B keeps him relatively safe.

Now, all of this isn't the worst thing in the world. Like I said, we do have a (slightly) better neutral, so while he's got better options out of it, we can usually keep up with a Lucario of a similar skill level. The thing that makes this matchup negative in my opinion isn't any of the above, but getting the kill. This matchup gets harder and harder the longer Lucario lives, and Palutena is not good at ending a stock. Like many of Lucario's matchups, the fight is often going to come down to who gets the first kill. And that's usually going to be him. I feel like once he's at kill percents, it's beneficial to play a little more reckless to try and polish that stock off as soon as possible. Lucario with no aura is not likely to kill us easily and it gives us time to get a fair lead and make the next stock a little bit even. Killing a Lucario with tons of aura after you've lost a stock is a massively uphill battle. Whichever side of this matchup you're on, GET THE FIRST STOCK. It is so important.

Last edited:

sleepy_Nex

Smash Journeyman
Hey i would really love some advice on how to play against Pikachu. In default.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Hey i would really love some advice on how to play against Pikachu. In default.
I'm a Pikachu main and played against a good Palutena player so I may help you out.
Don't fish for grabs on Pikachu too much because he's fast enough to punish your endlag if he spot-dodge. Your f-airs pretty much out-range Pikachu's f-airs along with her b-airs beating Pikachu's air attacks, including Quick attack because of her invincibility frames. Reflector can be useful against jolts, but avoid being baited for him to punish because that's what he's looking. Use jabs against him because its fast and good to out-space him. Don't tiles on Pikachu unless you used pivot forward-tile because they're slow and he can punish you if shielded. Do not force in your kills because he's fast and her smash attacks can be punished out of her endlag. Its important to read his di for your down-throw to up-air because he's light and the kill won't be 100% guaranteed. Also for the down-throw to up smash, if he's at 80-100% and you read the air dodge, you can get a up smash on him. Her netural b is ok, but be careful using it because Pikachu is small and fast enough to punish you. Her up-air pretty much out-range Pikachu's air attacks so you can use it for juggles, but also SH n-air for a mix up. While Pikachu is difficult to edgeguard, there's three things that you can do his skull bash; D-air, b-air, and even counter if timed right for a kill. Mix up your recovery with Warp by going for teleporting to the ground sometimes since it has no landing lag so he doesn't predict and read you for a gimp. Also, use it to escape pressure as well. I hope this helps you and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Edit: I'm back and I had to go somewhere.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Does anyone know how to fight Fox?
He's about the same as every other rushdown fighter:

Keep him out and don't get comboed~

No but for reals.

Play it very, very, very, VERY safe. Try to space him out with jab and f-air, grab whenever possible and b-air him into oblivion off-stage.

Never be afraid to challenge his recovery. Even if you miss, b-air's invincibility frames will keep you safe.

Reflecting his lasers is fun, but not very productive. Just get in the extra damage if you can.

Challenge him with dash attack if you want, but don't try to beat him in neutral. Get him into disadvantage with grab or dash attack before you try to seal the stock.

Don't even bother with smashes unless he's very readable. Fox is a punishment demon.

If he gets you in disadvantage, don't try to beat him out, just warp to safety - if needs be, the edge - and carry on from there.

He's a very difficult matchup for us. I don't think there's any "right" way to beat him, we just have to play it safe and coax him into making mistakes that we can punish.

Easier said than done, mind you...~

GBAer64

Smash Rookie
That pretty much sums up Fox's match-up overall.
Also worth noting would be that characters who have a "sex kick" (the ones where they stick their foot out or something of that nature) are a bit harder to juggle around since n.air in most cases will easily be beaten by the sex kick.

As such U.air will be the move you'll be mainly using if you manage to launch them up high.

Speaking of, has this thread covered Game & Watch yet? I feel that G&W isn't quite as popular but still roughly as much trouble to handle as Fox. I'll try and fight a few to see what I can gather from such a match-up.

wpwood

Smash Apprentice
The G&W matchup isn't much of a problem for me. The only thing I struggled with the first few times I played against G&W is being baited by his low end lag smash attacks, but once I saw that I was getting baited I stopped trying to punish every smash attack.

Dash attack is great for challenging smash attacks when close enough to hit the G&W before they can release the attack and pull up a shield, and also punishing in general or challenging moves and winning the trade.

G&W is one of the lightest characters in the game and Palutena has one of the best
Up Airs in the game. I think it kills around 80-90 on Smashville, so stages like Dreamland with a really low ceiling and many platforms to cancel warp on would probably be the best stage to take a G&W to. (I think we should also discuss stage choice when talking characters MUs. Like don't take sheik to smashville and I personally don't like sonic on FD)

Edge guarding G&W is difficult but a well timed bair can get the job done (if they miss the stage tech). This is good for when the G&W does an offstage dair and has to up b to get back also I like doing fair to push the player farther from the stage to force the up b for a potential edge guard. I don't know about the use of nair in edge guarding G&W but I assume it will work, but I'll need to test it.

From what I noticed, a majority of G&W I have fought like to use his aerials due to their low landing lag: fair, bair, nair. I find it best to weave in and out to bait an aerial and punish with bair, dash attack, or auto
retical depending on the distance I am from him. Watch out for the aerials that can come out after his up b and be ready to punish.

His dash attack and up smash are invincible but only on his head because that's where the helmets are. I sometimes hit G&W out of up smash with a well placed fair that hits his body instead of his helmet, but the timing takes a little while to get used to. Should he just throw out the up smash and you can't punish you're best option would be dash grab or dash attack because up smash only has about 4 frames of end lag and his jab is fast as well (i think frame 2 or 3). So going in after an up smash is kind of a gamble on what the G&W player will do, but more often than not I find them doing jab over shielding.

Bacon on G&W has a random angle of launch and it's just a matter of weaving through it to get to G&W should he throw that move out, or you could just auto retical or dash attack through it.

G&W has low percent throw combos that will occur and I don't know the DI to it, I just go up and away. Now I can't help if a G&W get's a down throw 9 on you, so just accept your death :)

Overall I think this match up is at least :4palutena:60:40:4gaw:

Last edited:

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
You can also condition your opponent to usmash and then counter it. Like if you run off a platform towards him. Same if they abuse dair to land on stage!

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
You can also condition your opponent to usmash and then counter it. Like if you run off a platform towards him. Same if they abuse dair to land on stage!
As nice as that sounds that's probably not going to work because of all the start up her counter has. Inn the end you'll probably end up taking a direct up smash to the face

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
As nice as that sounds that's probably not going to work because of all the start up her counter has. Inn the end you'll probably end up taking a direct up smash to the face
If only her counter isn't the worst. Her counter wouldn't work even against Mario's up-b and Doc's up-b, off stage XD Also, Marth and Lucian's up-b as well.
I test it training mode and it only gimps them at 120% so I think its a worthless option, thanks to the start-up.

Last edited:

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
If only her counter isn't the worst. Her counter wouldn't work even against Mario's up-b and Doc's up-b, off stage XD Also, Marth and Lucian's up-b as well.
I test it training mode and it only gimps them at 120% so I think its a worthless option, thanks to the start-up.
Not to mention it has pathetic bkb. If you counter a jab you'll end up taking a forward smash to the face

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Not to mention it has pathetic bkb. If you counter a jab you'll end up taking a forward smash to the face
Yeah, if her counter has less start-up like Lucina's and has more knockback, then it will be good. Doing the most damage doesn't mean jack to me and I don't mind the range, too.

PHP

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHPalutena
Yeah, if her counter has less start-up like Lucina's and has more knockback, then it will be good. Doing the most damage doesn't mean jack to me and I don't mind the range, too.
The worst part is it doesn't seem to be affected by the amount of kb she would receive but rather the amount of damage. I couldn't even KO a Zard that was at 110% after countering his flare blitz. This counter has waaaaaaaay more risk than reward it's stupid. You would need to counter something as powerful as a warlock punch if you actually want to take a stock.

It's only good for catching sex kicks so it's pretty much useless

Edit: as a matter of fact, celestial firework makes a better defensive move because the hit box and invincibility frames come out weather or not you get hit. So it's basically a better counter...than her counter

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
The worst part is it doesn't seem to be affected by the amount of kb she would receive but rather the amount of damage. I couldn't even KO a Zard that was at 110% after countering his flare blitz. This counter has waaaaaaaay more risk than reward it's stupid. You would need to counter something as powerful as a warlock punch if you actually want to take a stock.

It's only good for catching sex kicks so it's pretty much useless

Edit: as a matter of fact, celestial firework makes a better defensive move because the hit box and invincibility frames come out weather or not you get hit. So it's basically a better counter...than her counter
Why did they got to give her a crapper counter XD :4lucario:'s suck too, but his kills. They buff :4peach:'s toad, but don't buff up the goddess's counter.

I never did try celestial firework. Mostly because Lightweight is one of the best customs in the game and it has way more uses.

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
No, it does work. I have plenty of experience in the match up and the startup has never been an issue.

Top Bottom