• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

PAL/ NTSC(V1.0/1.1/1.2) Disc Version Differences Archive

rob1610

Smash Rookie
Is this just for technical differences? I've been reading all of it and understand most of it, I just don't see the difference myself. I know it's there, i just have a bad time spotting it myself. Anyway, I've noticed many differences when it comes to Trophies, like how the PAL version doesn't have a date because of the many countries different release dates and how some trophies were removed in the PAL version for specific reasons, but noone has mentioned them. Which is why I've asked if this topic is only for technical differences.

Sliraobe God

Smash Apprentice
Thank You!

Well, sweet!

A mostly full compilation of the differences between all the versions of SSBM ;)

I personally have never even touched another version, but... :urg:

Considering the many differences in character statistics and moves, wouldn't that slightly change the tier list? I mean, these changes are small, but major ones such as spikes into meteors, or sheik's decrease in chaingrab capability, or even fox's downpowered upsmash WOULD move characters around, right? :ohwell: :confused:

Also, if you had more than one version of Smash, which one would you play with?
Would you even put the differences into consideration, or just play with whatever?

Sliraobe God :cool:

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
I have both versions and PAL is definetly more balanced than NTSC and I stick to PAL mainly because i am european and NTSC's are rare.

But Sliraobe God, we have a PAL tier list already so you can just check it to see how the differences make the list

Sheik
Falco
Fox
Marth
Peach

Captain Falcon
Ice Climbers
Samus
Jigglypuff
Dr. Mario
Ganondorf
Mario

Luigi
Link
Yoshi
Roy
Donkey Kong
Pikachu

Young Link
Mr. Game & Watch
Zelda
Ness
Bowser
Kirby
Pichu
Mewtwo

One other thing: My friend claims that Marths fsmash is weaker in PAL. It still does the same percentages so I think that is not true but can anyone corfirm this for me since I dont have my cube at the moment?

MUGG

Smash Apprentice
mh^^
i'm going to buy the NTSC version, too.
I like those glitches and would also check other facts..(Daisy's third eye, HRC platform length, Sheik's Upair KO Move, that green monster trophy, Marths Spike ...)

I think it'll be fun^^

Thino

Smash Master
I noticed in PAL version , while someone is becoming a star , his name entry isnt displayed anymore , while in NTSC it is.

Volvagia

Smash Apprentice
I have the PAL-verision and I really wish had the NTSC 1.0 instead. I totally hate that Marth's Dair is a Meteor Smash instead of a Spike. I hate that Falco's Dair doesn't Spike through the whole animation and mayby the worst thing of all that Link can't semi spike with his Spin attack. Iv'e tried for a very long time to semi spike with his spin attack but i have never made it and I've always wondered why I can't make it. I've tried for hours to make the Black Hole Glicth and the IC's Freeze Glitch and not until now I understand why. I hate that I can't Chain Throw with Sheik and I hate that Yoshi's Dair make much less damage in Pal then in NTSC. Iv'e been reading guides to get a good result in HRC with Yoshi and everybody says that an easy tactic is to SH and Dair some times and you should get X meters but when I try it I don't get that far. I totally hate PAL. Thank you for saying all this changes so I don't need to continue wondering why I can't make all this stuff that I want to do.

Banned via Administration
done. also could someone test for real fox's uair? i keep hearing it is weaker but need data. also, i heard falco's dair is now a meteor as well as not hitting downwards on the 2nd half. is this true?

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
its not a meteor, but it does only spike the first half, 2nd half it sends at 45 degree upwards angle.

I will test the fox uair ASAP since i have both versions and then I´ll let you know

EDIT: there is no difference on fox´s up air. At least the scream percentages are excactly the same in both versions and therefore no difference.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
hey guys. i'm in europe right now (i live in arizona) and i'm thinking about hunting down a copy of the PAL version just for some new experiences and stuff back in the USA lol. what i want to know is, will the PAL version play on my american gamecube or my Wii?

BlargCow

Smash Journeyman
If you have an AR it should say freeloader right below start game doesnt it?

brdy_

Smash Lord
I'm not sure if this was covered, but Sheik without chainthrowing isn't as bad as you'd think, since her grabs still set anyone up for combossss. Rather than grabbing them again, why not do ftilt, utilt combos to fair?

Good combos > Chainthrowing

imo

I'm not sure if this was covered, but Sheik without chainthrowing isn't as bad as you'd think, since her grabs still set anyone up for combossss. Rather than grabbing them again, why not do ftilt, utilt combos to fair?

Good combos > Chainthrowing

imo
cuz with proper DI they dont get ftilted.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Hrmm . . . Would this PAL version be 1.2? If so, could the 1.2 be found here in the U.S?

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
NTSC 1.2 is not PAL. PAL is a distinct version developed alongside the 3 NTSC versions. You'll only buy it from PAL territories, namely Europe and Australia.

Seison

Smash Journeyman
ok, this has been asked multiple time in this thread, by various posters, and it hasn't once been acknowledged whatsoever, so please, would somebody tell me (and anyone else who might be wondering) :

how do you tell which version of smash you own?

is it something written on the bottom of the disc? the top? is it written on the game or case at all? I know I don't have PAL but I really would like to know which of the other 3 versions i have.

edit: there. i finally found out how to tell the diff, no thanks to this thread... -.-

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
I have a PAL version and from what I've read on this thread no one seems to have noticed that there is only one spike on this version which is falcos dair. I've tested every other spike I know and the only other spike I found worked was GAW's pan.

PAL meteors not spikes:

Roy's Forward B combo
Marth's Forward B combo
Roy's dair
Marth's dair
Mewtwo's dair
DK's dair
Mario's fair
Young link's dtilt
Link's dtilt
Young link's dair
Ice Climber(s) fair
Ganon's dair
Yoshi's fair
Yoshi's dair
Zelda's dair
Samus's dair
Ness's dair
Falco's forward B

someone correct me if I am wrong but I've tested these on a CPU and they do not spike

I have a PAL version and from what I've read on this thread no one seems to have noticed that there is only one spike on this version which is falcos dair. I've tested every other spike I know and the only other spike I found worked was GAW's pan.

PAL meteors not spikes:

Roy's Forward B combo
Marth's Forward B combo
Roy's dair
Marth's dair
Mewtwo's dair
DK's dair
Mario's fair
Young link's dtilt
Link's dtilt
Young link's dair
Ice Climber(s) fair
Ganon's dair
Yoshi's fair
Yoshi's dair
Zelda's dair
Samus's dair
Ness's dair
Falco's forward B

someone correct me if I am wrong but I've tested these on a CPU and they do not spike
there are only 2 spikes in ntsc dude, the rest are meteors.

MrGameandPwn

Smash Rookie
how do i know which version i have it says DL-Dol-GALE-USA and on back it says dol-gale-0-02 usa

sorry if this is just another annoying noob post but this has been frustrating me for a while.

Stormblast

Smash Journeyman
4 spikes actually, marts dair, falcos dair, ganons down b and falcons stomp if you hit with his nipple(NIPPLE SPIKED J00!!)

and yeah it is a true spike seeing it sends you at a 45° angle and every meteor sends you straight down so there you have it.

Marts spike, falcos spike, ganons down b and falcons nipple spike all spike you at an angle.

In PAL marths spike was made a meteor and therefore PAL has 3 spikes.

GamerGuitarist7

Smash Champion
wtf, how do you meteor with Roy's usmash? i heard he has a LOT of meteors, especially when it comes to combinatoins in his DED.

lonewolfe

Smash Journeyman
ok, this has been asked multiple time in this thread, by various posters, and it hasn't once been acknowledged whatsoever, so please, would somebody tell me (and anyone else who might be wondering) :

how do you tell which version of smash you own?

is it something written on the bottom of the disc? the top? is it written on the game or case at all? I know I don't have PAL but I really would like to know which of the other 3 versions i have.

edit: there. i finally found out how to tell the diff, no thanks to this thread... -.-
O.O How?! Please tell me, because no one has posted it....>< T.T

edit: nvm found it. But I'm still unsure about which I have....>< ;.; I think it's 1.00

Top Bottom