• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
My biggest problem with Lucas is his smash seems to have no startup lag. I've fought Lucas's that land and immediately Fsmash the fruit back when it's like right on top of them. he also has that tether grab but at least he doesn't have a kill throw. Up smash is easy to avoid as long as you remember that it lasts a while. I tend to forget and get smacked by the last hit.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
My biggest problem with Lucas is his smash seems to have no startup lag. I've fought Lucas's that land and immediately Fsmash the fruit back when it's like right on top of them. he also has that tether grab but at least he doesn't have a kill throw. Up smash is easy to avoid as long as you remember that it lasts a while. I tend to forget and get smacked by the last hit.
Another tip is If Lucas(and Ness) hits you in the air and tries to follow up with PK thunder then just drop a hydrant on it. Drop it on top of them as well if you can.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Another tip is If Lucas(and Ness) hits you in the air and tries to follow up with PK thunder then just drop a hydrant on it. Drop it on top of them as well if you can.
Another Thing I didn't mention was don't throw keys at Lucas / Ness as a punish for smashing the hydrant because sometimes their smash reflects behind them.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
For Glory Fever part 2!

I did all of the following things to a single person:

-Bell throw up into trampoline, didn't kill with it but funnily enough, DeDeDe retained its momentum while stunned.

-DK was shielding at the ledge, so I threw a Melon, ran behind it and when it bounced it off his shield, he dropped his shield.
I picked up the Melon in the mean time and threw it at his face

-Mario was Super Jump Punching onto the stage, so I punished with a few Melons.
Link threw his Gale Boomerang, I rode the Windbox, dropped a Hydrant while keeping my momentum and use the Hydrant Spout to Hydrant Surf while DSmashing.

-Mario was spamming Fireballs, so I Pellet Healed one fireballs and Powershielded the next etc.
It took a while before the Mario realised his tactic was not going to work.

He might've reported me.

EDIT: Zero Suit Lag-Us is baaaaaad.
She can get away with a Boost Jump Meteor, I can't even get away with shielding.

Last edited:

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Can Rosa's upair break the hydrant because I fought this Rosa yesterday that did that. I looked at the replay where she did it and I can't tell if Luma got involved. Luma didn't touch it but I don't know where the hitbox is.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Nevermind. It was Luma. Luma does 4 and upair does 10. Luma also attacks first so I would recommend hitting behind her if you need to immediately do it.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Videos would help us help you.
We're hosting our first Smash 4 regional here in WV this weekend so I'll try to get some videos. I'm also having a major practice session with my training partner (the 1st in the state) and I'll try to remember to save videos. n_n

ToxoT

Smash Apprentice
what do people think of the default strawberry? i've been using it more lately and i think it's pretty good when caught and thrown onto the stage, provides a bit of a shield that can't be used against us like the hydrant, and you can just drop a hydrant where it's bouncing to insta-launch with bair.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
what do people think of the default strawberry? i've been using it more lately and i think it's pretty good when caught and thrown onto the stage, provides a bit of a shield that can't be used against us like the hydrant, and you can just drop a hydrant where it's bouncing to insta-launch with bair.
I see it as a short to midrange Orange.

Speaking about Hydrant, can't we deflect it with PP?

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Tried and failed. It hits multiple opponents so the pellet can't stop it

Don't know why, It seems to lose its hitbox whenever anyone looks at it funny. Pacman seems to have a harder time at removing the hitbox than other characters.

BSP

Smash Legend
Stupid question, but what's the input for up b out of shield? I feel like there's something I'm missing because I can't do it quick at all.
I have tap jump off. I do Shield -> jump -> Up + Y , with Y set to special. You have to move quickly, but tap jump gets on my nerves.

Strawberry is weird, but I like it. 6%, charges fast, and has the second most horizontal (galaxian might have more) range of our fruits when thrown correctly. I go for strawberry when I need something that goes farther than cherry faster, but doesn't fall as sharply as Apple. I also find it useful for tech chase situations if I can't get over there for a stronger hit. Most get up attacks will wack the strawberry, but it won't lose its hitbox. You can also bait theft attempts with it, and punish them for tunnel visioning your fruit (which many people will do).

I've been considering spamming strawberry when I'm separated from my opponent by a trampoline and they're close to it. If I throw a strawberry and they shield it, I don't lose anything plus I'm close enough to punish a theft attempt. If they keep shielding the strawberry, it'll wear their shield down faster than it regenerates. I don't expect anyone to do this, but you will win that battle if it comes to that.

Even if they steal my strawberry, they lose their tilts, smashes, and grab. Against characters like Mario, whose best punish option at that point becomes up B, I wouldn't be too concerned with him having it. Opponents also can't instant launch the hydrant from the ground as long as they are holding it unless they use a particularly powerful special, which tend to be more punishable than normal moves. Fine by me since I can continually launch hydrants should they choose to hold it.

Also in hand, a z dropped strawberry is perfect for punishing neutral ledge get up, and it can combo into a stronger hit if you anticipate the hit. Thrown from hand, it's even easier to follow the strawberry as it flies, and it's a shield as you said.

Now you've got me thinking about using cherry and strawberry more as a stall fruits in order to set up camp if I've got a lead. Cherry in particular isn't fast, but it's still a hitbox that the opponent must address or dodge. If stolen, they have a 4% item to use against you in exchange for their smashes, tilts, and grab.

I see it as a short to midrange Orange.

Speaking about Hydrant, can't we deflect it with PP?
Yeah, strawberry is like orange when thrown grounded and before it hits the ground. In the air, take advantage of how it falls.

I don't think anything can flat out stop a tumbling hydrant outside of Rosalina GP'ing it away, and even then the hitbox doesn't cease.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Abadango just 2-0ed Rain going all Pacman vs shiek PogChamp
Link to the match please?

I have just recently turned believer to that MU being ridiculously hard due to our lack of a fast grab to punish her with and have started turning to Mario for it.
If he can show me the way to play the MU correctly so as to not have it feel like ass, I would be ecstatic.

______

Also I've been trying those bellhops combos at both of our weeklies this week and well... I've run into one small problem:

This means actually using DA at a % where it's not possible (To my knowledge) to combo into it. Other than getting lucky on a tech read, I have yet to find a reliable way to land this move without a fruit to cover me unless I do the boosted DA, but the Boosted DA doesn't always combo every hit. Now the issue with this is that anyone who knows the MU WILL punish a blocked DA.

As awesome as this is, it's starting to fall into the very vast category of "This is awesome, but situational. Keep it in mind should the situation ever arise, but most of the time you won't be using this." just like the Galaga confirm.

Is there an easy way to land this that I am missing?

Last edited:

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318

I have just recently turned believer to that MU being ridiculously hard due to our lack of a fast grab to punish her with and have started turning to Mario for it.
If he can show me the way to play the MU correctly so as to not have it feel like ***, I would be ecstatic.
http://www.twitch.tv/shi_gaming/v/13351329 starts 1:46:51

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ

If he can show me the way to play the MU correctly so as to not have it feel like ***, I would be ecstatic.

______

Also I've been trying those bellhops combos at both of our weeklies this week and well... I've run into one small problem:

This means actually using DA at a % where it's not possible (To my knowledge) to combo into it. Other than getting lucky on a tech read, I have yet to find a reliable way to land this move without a fruit to cover me unless I do the boosted DA, but the Boosted DA doesn't always combo every hit. Now the issue with this is that anyone who knows the MU WILL punish a blocked DA.

As awesome as this is, it's starting to fall into the very vast category of "This is awesome, but situational. Keep it in mind should the situation ever arise, but most of the time you won't be using this." just like the Galaga confirm.

Is there an easy way to land this that I am missing?
It's more of a matter of having to trip up your opponent. I like to double jab, foxtrot away and then foxtrot back.

Or condition your opponent to not shield like running up and using trampoline a couple of times. Then mix it up with a dash attack.

You could also use it as a punish. I've yet to find a way to combo into it unless you Z drop the bell on the opponent and then dash attack them during their hit stun.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
So much for Abadango playing the character wrong am i rite :smirk:
He did it with solo Pacman as well except for two matches.

Hey, I just said it wouldn't work all the time lol. The characters he played were composed of 80% shiek. I do believe that he plays that matchup optimally. As for other matchups...

He needs to change it up a bit imo :p

He doesn't even use trampoline for defense which would really help to give him time for fruit set ups.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Watching Abadango vs Shu / Rain, I see that he's abusing the fact that Sheik apparently can't punish Pac-Man for setting up a hydrant right next to her. He's able to shield before Sheik can SH aerial him. I need to test whether or not her Usmash will instant launch it, because that would be the proper response. I believe her Fsmash will, so the Sheiks could've done that too.

Edit3: Sheik's Usmash won't instant launch a hydrant right next to her, nor will her Dsmash. Fsmash will, but that can't be done out of shield. Between shield drop + focusing on a response from Sheik, Pac-Man should be able to react to Fsmash and jump out of the way. Also fresh bouncing fish won't instant launch hydrant either.

Other than that, he was relying on hydrant as the primary stage control method. He usually only trampolined when he could make it to a ledge, and tended to get punished for it when he couldn't. He constantly looked for the maneuvers around the hydrant the entire time and shielded / challenged in response.

His bell mindgames and Fair -> Key setups are on point as well. I do think he got away with super low recoveries that could've ended in death, but we'll take what we can get.

Edit: forgot to mention I won a tournament today using a combination of Mario and Pac-Man. The only thing I'm really upset about is that I keep losing to Captain Zack's Peach with Pac-Man. I did better than usual today, but I still have to work on that MU more. Peach is like Luigi almost when she gets in, but she's better at doing so it seems. Gotta hit the drawing board once again.

Edit2: pulled off the delayed bell gush -> side B for a KO in tournament. Got a very large "OOOHHHH" from the crowd in response.

@ fromundaman fromundaman I use Mario for Sheik too. If abadango can beat the likes of Shu and Rain with Pac-Man, I'm sure we can beat her with Pac-Man too. Still, the MU seems difficult.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thank you. That was actually pretty enlightening. Not a whole lot in terms of techniques he does that I don't (Although never thought to Fair>Nair my hydrant), but his movement options and mindgames are something else.

Watching that though, I am realizing he is rolling a LOT vs Shiek, and it makes sense. She's going to be + on block, so why stay there and shield her? I think I need to start implementing this more in my game as I pretty much live in my shield.

I also really like how he manages to find so many options to get up from the ledge. That being something I personally struggle with, I am going to be stealing a lot of that.

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
Personally, I have to say that I'm wondering quite a bit about how we fare in the Pac-Man Vs. Ness matchup.
We haven't talked about it since... honestly, I don't remember.
But from what I think, Pac could have the upper hand within this. Due to Ness's obviously amazing grab game (Back Throw... :mad:) struggling against Pac-Man's own amazing anti-grab game, us being able to escape his PK Fire via Trampoline in a manner similar to Megaman's Rush Cancelling, us generally being able to space him due to his poor mobility options, it does feel like a MU we'd do well in.
I just want your opinions on it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
@ NimbusSpark NimbusSpark
Funny you mention that, because I was just looking through SHI_Gaming's twitch channel, and there is a Pac-man named Dee who blew away Taratino (top ness player) at a tourney yesterday.

Everyone needs to see this. Especially you @ Froggy Froggy :p

http://www.twitch.tv/shi_gaming/v/13535789

17:07 - 26:38
1:36:00 - 1:45:27
2:35:24 - 2:42:00
2:57:49 - 3:07:11
3:26:08 - 3:41:00
3:42:43 - 4:11:05

These are the times that his play was streamed. He won with SOLO Pac-Man.
S O L O

We like to say that "Abadango is the best" and that "His Pac-Man is the most optimal" buuuttt...I really don't think so. Dee shows us that a Pac-Man that knows when to play defensively and offensively is truly insane. He isn't nearly as reserved as abadango is, and his success with his style of Pac-Man really shows that a reserved pac-man may not be the way to go. Abadango, while an amazing player, isn't using all that Pac-Man has to offer. He's giving us the reputation of a character that can't do anything unless he camps super hard. Dee on the other hand shows that we can play both lame and hyper offensively to contend with the top tiers. See, abadango doesn't think that we can ( he said so in his tier list discussion) that's why he uses secondaries. He belives that if Pac-Man can't camp you out the whole match, you lose. Kinda like Brawl De x3 in how we invalidate mid to low tiers but lose to everyone else.

I strongly disagree with this.
Dee doesn't use secondaries. This is because his style lets him go further. I said before that a pacman that only camps and plays super reserved 24/7 will not be successful in the long run. Abadango is only using half of his main which is why he needs other character to fill the gaps for him.

I'm just saying that Dee looks like he could be a glimpse into the future of Pac-Man's metagame.
A mixture of Super defense + Hyper offense + Creativity = Future Pac-Man success.

Edit: 4:02:00 - 4:02:25

Sexiest combo I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I will need to watch this when I get the time.

In the meantime, can we talk about the historic FGC event that happened this weekend?

By that I mean Perfect Legend being the 1st and only person in recorded history to challenge someone (The current MKX champoin no less) to a streamed, high stakes grudge/MM FT10 at Summer Jam and lose it 13-0. That's right... this man managed to get 13-0'd in a FT10. That right there is a feat.

EDIT:

Okay I have a few minutes, let's see what the hype is all about and see what this new Pacman has to offer!
Oh... Wifi... Oh...

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Something I almost missed...

He takes his opponents to battlefield...and dominates. I really don't think battlefield is a bad stage for us. Our tools are definitely flexible enough to rule the stage. He even beat ZSS on battlefield! Twice!

BSP

Smash Legend
I will need to watch this when I get the time.

In the meantime, can we talk about the historic FGC event that happened this weekend?

By that I mean Perfect Legend being the 1st and only person in recorded history to challenge someone (The current MKX champoin no less) to a streamed, high stakes grudge/MM FT10 at Summer Jam and lose it 13-0. That's right... this man managed to get 13-0'd in a FT10. That right there is a feat.

EDIT:

Okay I have a few minutes, let's see what the hype is all about and see what this new Pacman has to offer!
Oh... Wifi... Oh...
First, lol @ the 13-0. Time to pack it up.

Regarding Dee's gameplay, I think japan's online is better than ours and taken a lot more seriously.

For the gameplay itself, Dee is good. My favorite thing outside of that ridiculous 0-death was how he had the sense to pellet heal off of a full screen hydrant launched at him. Abadango never does that. Dee also shows the dumb potential of Galaxian in hand at 0%.

Edit: wow that Fair - > Bell -> Usmash was great at 4:4:56. The bell phantom fruit spam is hilarious.
Edit2: these water gushed pivot grabs though....
Edit3: Hmm, get a galaxian in hand and hang on the ledge. Smart, too fast to be reacted to.
Edit4: if your trampoline is preventing you from getting off the ledge, a ledge jump -> hydrant gives you a place to stand and refreshes your ledge invincibility should you go back to it.
Edit5: If you haven't watched Dee's gameplay, you need to. You are going to learn something new, I'm positive.
Edit6: 2:37:30 ..............wow...

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
First, lol @ the 13-0. Time to pack it up.

Regarding Dee's gameplay, I think japan's online is better than ours and taken a lot more seriously.

For the gameplay itself, Dee is good. My favorite thing outside of that ridiculous 0-death was how he had the sense to pellet heal off of a full screen hydrant launched at him. Abadango never does that. Dee also shows the dumb potential of Galaxian in hand at 0%.

Edit: wow that Fair - > Bell -> Usmash was great at 4:4:56. The bell phantom fruit spam is hilarious.
I'm glad someone else thought that full screen hydrant heal was smart.
I've been practicing the same thing with mega man metal blades.

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
@ NimbusSpark NimbusSpark
Funny you mention that, because I was just looking through SHI_Gaming's twitch channel, and there is a Pac-man named Dee who blew away Taratino (top ness player) at a tourney yesterday.

Everyone needs to see this. Especially you @ Froggy Froggy :p

http://www.twitch.tv/shi_gaming/v/13535789

17:07 - 26:38
1:36:00 - 1:45:27
2:35:24 - 2:42:00
2:57:49 - 3:07:11
3:26:08 - 3:41:00
3:42:43 - 4:11:05

These are the times that his play was streamed. He won with SOLO Pac-Man.
S O L O

We like to say that "Abadango is the best" and that "His Pac-Man is the most optimal" buuuttt...I really don't think so. Dee shows us that a Pac-Man that knows when to play defensively and offensively is truly insane. He isn't nearly as reserved as abadango is, and his success with his style of Pac-Man really shows that a reserved pac-man may not be the way to go. Abadango, while an amazing player, isn't using all that Pac-Man has to offer. He's giving us the reputation of a character that can't do anything unless he camps super hard. Dee on the other hand shows that we can play both lame and hyper offensively to contend with the top tiers. See, abadango doesn't think that we can ( he said so in his tier list discussion) that's why he uses secondaries. He belives that if Pac-Man can't camp you out the whole match, you lose. Kinda like Brawl De x3 in how we invalidate mid to low tiers but lose to everyone else.

I strongly disagree with this.
Dee doesn't use secondaries. This is because his style lets him go further. I said before that a pacman that only camps and plays super reserved 24/7 will not be successful in the long run. Abadango is only using half of his main which is why he needs other character to fill the gaps for him.

I'm just saying that Dee looks like he could be a glimpse into the future of Pac-Man's metagame.
A mixture of Super defense + Hyper offense + Creativity = Future Pac-Man success.

Edit: 4:02:00 - 4:02:25

Sexiest combo I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing
Yeah, thank you and all for showing us this Pac-Player, and I appreciate that... but I'm sorry, this doesn't help me with my question about how we actually handle Ness at all. Not sure how me mentioning Ness leads to someone else pulling up a Twitch channel, but it's now been done, so yeah. Next time, perhaps just don't tag me in your post.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Yeah, thank you and all for showing us this Pac-Player, and I appreciate that... but I'm sorry, this doesn't help me with my question about how we actually handle Ness at all. Not sure how me mentioning Ness leads to someone else pulling up a Twitch channel, but it's now been done, so yeah. Next time, perhaps just don't tag me in your post.
I don't see how not. I linked a match with pacman fighting against a ness. I thought a match would help you learn a little bit about how the matchup goes.

Maybe you aren't a visual learner?
I thought the match would help...
Damn...

Last edited:

NimbusSpark

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NimbusSpark
I don't see how not. I linked a match with pacman fighting against a ness. I thought a match would help you learn a little bit about how the matchup goes.

Maybe you aren't a visual learner?
I thought the match would help...
Damn...

I do like to learn visually, but I did actually say I wanted your opinions on the match-up, as in personal opinion he is one of those characters we've always fought but never actually talked about.
I'm sorry for acting like this, all I wanted to do was to get information.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I do like to learn visually, but I did actually say I wanted your opinions on the match-up, as in personal opinion he is one of those characters we've always fought but never actually talked about.
I'm sorry for acting like this, all I wanted to do was to get information.
Sorry dude, I missed that :/

If you want my opinion on the matchup, I feel that it's in our favor slightly. Ness has trouble getting over our walls and we beat him solidly on the ground in range and power. The main thing you want to watch out for is his priority in the air. Fair will be beat everything.
Ness also doesn't land very easily over the trampoline so laming him out with trampoline camping is pretty effective as well.

However, Ness is one of the few characters that can destroy our hydrant with an aerial so be careful when dropping it on his head. It's also annoying when he PK fire's your hydrant but you can throw a fruit at it to avoid having to take damage.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I can't really comment on the Ness MU. I have some experience in it, but not as much as I'd like, and honestly I think Ness may be a personal bad MU. It doesn't feel like I should be losing that MU, yet I feel like my playstyle loses hard to Ness and I need to fix that.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I was at Nebulous yesterday and I must say that @Sinji is absolutely the real deal. He could probably give BSP a good run for his money for best Pacman in America. I was 1 game away from meeting him in bracket on stream too. Too bad.

Top Bottom