• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
You know what's a great ledgetrap?

Side B into Hydrant.
The Side B keeps its hitbox, although you stand still, and the Hydrant flies around too.

About Smashes, I love USmash. Easy Platform Poke and Hydrant is a bouncing monster with it.

We can gimp Villager with a trick I found. Strawberry bounces on both of his balloons.

My daily two arcade coins.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Where are you located dragon? Im an hour north of Xanadu in PA. Depending on where you are, I think we have theory crafting to do in the lab.
Maryland is my home state, but I'm located south of Xanadu. I live closer to DC than Baltimore.

BSP

Smash Legend
If Palutena is ruining your day with her reflect move, walk up to it and side B it for a free heal.

Hey wait, now that I think about it, we could pull the same thing when trying to deal with Rosalina. Her GP "steals" our PP, doesn't it? We could charge up to keys to bait GPs and heal ourselves every time she does it. Or, we could throw out strawberries, Melons, and cherries, the slower fruits, to bait a GP and heal.

If she doesn't GP and steals our BF, it's not that big of a deal. If she tries to camp us, just start launching hydrants her way with Fair and follow them. If she doesn't GP them, Luma is going to die from them because it can't block. Once it's dead, go aggro. Rosalina could jump over them, but then she's putting herself in the air for you. If she does GP them, heal yourself and repeat.

Hmm....GP is a free heal every time...of course, my talk is favoring a camp strategy, but if Rosalina can't GP our hydrants away without healing us, that's great for us.

Ok, so look at 9:34ish

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2HEeP4HUVM#t=574

Look at when Abadango gets his side B pellet taken. Can Pac-Man eat it before it gets launched towards Rosalina? If yes, I think we can be a legit timeout threat to her (not saying aggro can't work, but she can't camp us, and it's going to be awful for her if we can heal off of GP). From looking at Pac-Man when it happens, I'm guessing he can eat it. Actually, I'd bet $$$ that he can eat it. So side B and then eat your pellet when she GPs. Haha, this is too much fun.

Can someone test it though? I can test it later if no one else can. I think I'm right since Pac-Man goes straight back to neutral once Side B is interrupted, but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

Confirmed it. We can heal off of her GPs as long as we are in range.

Also I had some Pac diitos for quite a while with...I think it was zZz Snacks or something like that. So much fruit + hydrant shenanigans all around.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Like so...I was both characters, so of course it could be done faster.

This could redefine the MU, and yes, it also works in the air. Even though we knew GP lets us spam hydrant, it was a zero sum game because we didn't get anything off of it. Now, the tables have turned. We get a free heal and we can set it up again.

What does this mean?

Spam hydrant like a crazy person, and go from there:

If you want to go on the defensive:

Get behind the hydrant and start charging to key.

When you have a key ready, any mid range "miss" of GP means you heal 2% with pretty much no punishable lag. Rosalina is going to prefer GP than shield because Key kills Luma pretty well. If she shields, I would chuck the key and start over because Luma is more than likely going to get hit.

If she rushes in and launches the hydrant, punish her for that, or launch it at her if she doesn't launch it in 1 hit.

Throw in a trampoline (can't be GP'd) to cover rolls and you've got Pac-Land all set.

If you want to go aggro:

Launch it at them with a fair and follow it. If Rosalina GPs, heal yourself and set up again. If she does anything besides GP, Luma should get smacked. 1/4 of Luma's HP gone right there, assuming you didn't just KO it, and you're following right behind. If you want to be aggro with you fruits, use the ones you can follow quickly behind preferably, so that if she GPs, you heal, and if she doesn't, Luma gets hit. Keys follow the same rules as in the defensive strategy.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
And some of you thought I was just a crazy optimist :smirk:(I take that as a compliment) I always had a feeling we would end up high tier. First the diddy matchup, now this.
So not only do we heal when she tries to play defensive, we play aggro if rosa tries to shield instead, and she loses Luma to the hydrant.
Amazing

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
And some of you thought I was just a crazy optimist :smirk:(I take that as a compliment) I always had a feeling we would end up high tier. First the diddy matchup, now this.
So not only do we heal when she tries to play defensive, we play aggro if rosa tries to shield instead, and she loses Luma to the hydrant.
Amazing
You still haven't posted any videos showing how the Diddy MU is in our favour. I still can't agree with you on that at a fundamental level due to my experience with the MU meaning I see it as poor.

This technique needs to be tried and tested in a match environment before I'm entirely convinced it can work. I mean, what if the Rosalina just baits it out? Free Fsmash for her and that's gonna be painful.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
You still haven't posted any videos showing how the Diddy MU is in our favour. I still can't agree with you on that at a fundamental level due to my experience with the MU meaning I see it as poor.

This technique needs to be tried and tested in a match environment before I'm entirely convinced it can work. I mean, what if the Rosalina just baits it out? Free Fsmash for her and that's gonna be painful.
I'm guessing you still haven't seen Abadango vs aero link. Hopefully it appears on YouTube soon enough.
And also, your scenario is logically incorrect. Her down B is too slow to bait it out. I have no idea how she can bait the Side B out when she has cooldown and we eat the pellet immediately. There is absolutely no lag on our end, only hers.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
I'm guessing you still haven't seen Abadango vs aero link. Hopefully it appears on YouTube soon enough.
And also, your scenario is logically incorrect. Her down B is too slow to bait it out. I have no idea how she can bait the Side B out when she has cooldown and we eat the pellet immediately. There is absolutely no lag on our end, only hers.
I don't think that set would be evidence of anything besides how much better abadango is than Aerolink. He seemed pretty out of place tbh and many people don't think he was any good really. He got bumped up by good pools. Not to mention the fact he would have 0 MU experience, which really isn't a good indicator of how good or bad a MU is for either side.

Her down b seems pretty fast. If you can side-b on reaction to the down b then that's fine but if you need to pre empt the down b then there's a lot of risk involved if she doesn't down b, you'll go flying into her shield for a free punish. I also don't really see many Rosalina players just sitting there spamming GP mindlessly and they won't if we can heal off it, so I don't see much of a future for it at this stage. But at the very least it will stop mindless GP spam.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I don't think that set would be evidence of anything besides how much better abadango is than Aerolink. He seemed pretty out of place tbh and many people don't think he was any good really. He got bumped up by good pools. Not to mention the fact he would have 0 MU experience, which really isn't a good indicator of how good or bad a MU is for either side.

Her down b seems pretty fast. If you can side-b on reaction to the down b then that's fine but if you need to pre empt the down b then there's a lot of risk involved if she doesn't down b, you'll go flying into her shield for a free punish. I also don't really see many Rosalina players just sitting there spamming GP mindlessly and they won't if we can heal off it, so I don't see much of a future for it at this stage. But at the very least it will stop mindless GP spam.
But yet you were complete fine with trusting your own experience against diddys that also had little to no experience against good pac mans.
We also can tilt our side B up to avoid a potential punish, but seriously, we eat the pellet way too fast for Rosalina to run up, stop, and side smash. We can get away with using it on reaction due to the speed at which we can eat it.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
But yet you were complete fine with trusting your own experience against diddys that also had little to no experience against good pac mans.
We also can tilt our side B up to avoid a potential punish, but seriously, we eat the pellet way too fast for Rosalina to run up, stop, and side smash. We can get away with using it on reaction due to the speed at which we can eat it.
They've got MU experience against me though… We haven't got anywhere before with this discussion so I don't see the point in going over the same ground again. If anyone has anything concrete and new, feel free to throw it in.

I'm not saying she'd punish the eating of the pellet, if she doesn't down b we will be stuck doing side-b, a very laggy and punishable move.

BSP

Smash Legend
That's why you side B on reaction. I was fast enough to get it to work when I had to control both characters. The window is large enough for you to react to. If you're just watching Rosalina, I'm sure you can pull it off, and she's going to be trigger happy because your hydrants and keys will kill Luma quickly. It works in the air too. Just make sure you're in GP's range.

You don't have to predict the side B. Again, I did it while controlling both characters.

I bet Dabuz used GP at least 30 times against Abadango in their matches. She shouldn't spam it mindlessly, but that's why hydrant becomes the crux of the MU. GP is her safest way of dealing with hydrant without putting herself/Luma at risk. If she ever GPs the hydrant, you definitely have enough time to side B on reaction and heal yourself.

I feel like that Pac-Man players will need to get good at side B'ing on reaction. For example, being able to side B auto reticle on reaction changes the Palutena MU drastically. Because of the nature of this, it's going to be much harder online than off, another one of the many reasons that Pac-Man is bad online.

I'm not saying she'd punish the eating of the pellet, if she doesn't down b we will be stuck doing side-b, a very laggy and punishable move.
Again, on reaction and we're good.

EDIT: Well, tournament was today. I took 1st and had a pretty good time. I confirmed that you can pull off the side B vs Gravitational Pull in a match, but I couldn't get it recorded :(. Same thing with Palutena's reflect.

Everyone was shocked that Pac-Man can be good. So many people sleep on him lol.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Found a newish technique I dub the Smoke Bomb.

Basically, throw a Bell down if the opponent likes rushdown
Nobody wants to get to you and maybe you can pull of a USmash when they do try to get in.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well, tournament was today. I took 1st and had a pretty good time. I confirmed that you can pull off the side B vs Gravitational Pull in a match, but I couldn't get it recorded :(. Same thing with Palutena's reflect.

Everyone was shocked that Pac-Man can be good. So many people sleep on him lol.
Was the side B vs gravitational pull as effective as it seemed in theory?
If so, we may have turned the matchup from 35:65 to 55:45 or even 60:40

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Found a newish technique I dub the Smoke Bomb.

Basically, throw a Bell down if the opponent likes rushdown
Nobody wants to get to you and maybe you can pull of a USmash when they do try to get in.
No. I think everyone knew that but no one was proud enough of it to "dub" it a name :/ bruh u really

BSP

Smash Legend
Was the side B vs gravitational pull as effective as it seemed in theory?
If so, we may have turned the matchup from 35:65 to 55:45 or even 60:40
If I was quick enough to side B, it worked every time. All you have to do is observe the GP, side B, and press A immediately after.

It stopped extremely liberal usage of side B for sure, but I don't think it'll let us beat Rosalina. Then again, that was my first it using it. I can't draw a good conclusion from such a small sample. It helps for sure though.

Edit: watching Abadango vs ALSM. I remembered when I was told that running away, charge what you want, and repeat as Pac-Man isn't effective lol. Remember guys, vs. Palutena, if she throws out reflects, walk up to them and Side B to heal yourself.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
If I was quick enough to side B, it worked every time. All you have to do is observe the GP, side B, and press A immediately after.

It stopped extremely liberal usage of side B for sure, but I don't think it'll let us beat Rosalina. Then again, that was my first it using it. I can't draw a good conclusion from such a small sample. It helps for sure though.

Edit: watching Abadango vs ALSM. I remembered when I was told that running away, charge what you want, and repeat as Pac-Man isn't effective lol. Remember guys, vs. Palutena, if she throws out reflects, walk up to them and Side B to heal yourself.
Nice. I mean, it does stop continuous use of the one thing rosa can use to ruin us. It also allows us to play more offensive since it helps us apply more pressure to Luma (hydrant, key, dash attack, nair...we have a lot of tools to kill that thing)
But we still get out ranged in the air.
What else does rosa have over us that makes this matchup so bad?
I mean, without as much GP spam, I feel that the matchup is significantly easier.

And yes, Locke and AA both exaggerated our weaknesses (and made up some)

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Nice. I mean, it does stop continuous use of the one thing rosa can use to ruin us. It also allows us to play more offensive since it helps us apply more pressure to Luma (hydrant, key, dash attack, nair...we have a lot of tools to kill that thing)
But we still get out ranged in the air.
What else does rosa have over us that makes this matchup so bad?
I mean, without as much GP spam, I feel that the matchup is significantly easier.

And yes, Locke and AA both exaggerated our weaknesses (and made up some)

It does stop continuous use, but I doubt it stops reactive use. It basically makes the matchup even more patience based and even slower (Honestly, this matchup will be the greatest source of time outs). It'll be more about who pulls the trigger first.

Well, Luma will still act as a projectile barrier of sorts. Once he is out the way, Rosalina still has better range on most if not all of her normals and possibly more power (definitely with Luma around).

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It does stop continuous use, but I doubt it stops reactive use. It basically makes the matchup even more patience based and even slower (Honestly, this matchup will be the greatest source of time outs). It'll be more about who pulls the trigger first.

Well, Luma will still act as a projectile barrier of sorts. Once he is out the way, Rosalina still has better range on most if not all of her normals and possibly more power (definitely with Luma around).
More power without Luma? Definitely not. But I do think this matchup becomes a lot better for us. It's an actual stalemate when we both play defensively, instead of rosa constantly walling us out with no benefit on our side.
If it comes to timeouts, being able to heal helps a lot

Psi Sig

Smash Journeyman
So I just got back from my first smash 4 tournament, and I did a lot better than I thought. My Pac-man didnt get bodied by anyone. I just need to get a wii u so i can really get some practice in :p
I don't post often but thanks everyone for putting up so much awesome info on Pac

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Just to help with a doubles strat for double pac. Double hydrant launches are extremely easy with two pac-mans. You also can throw melons at each other for z-dropping. Between those and hydrant able to launch itself, you can fling large amounts of junk at the other team. Also keep in mind that your trampolines will refresh double jump for the other.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
Ok so this is kind of early, but in August, I'm going to Manila in the Fillipines for 15 days...so yeah..I might bring my 2ds and controller with the thing that lets you use a GC on Smash 3ds.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
Myself and @ skillskillfiretruck skillskillfiretruck are gonna be entering doubles tournaments soon as a duo of Pacs.

We call ourselves

"Tupac"

Hopefully we can get some decent vids of two Pacs in action.
Haha what a great teamname :D
I really wanna see two pacmans in a team tournament, I don't know I feel like pacman is not a great doubles character tho.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Double Pacman is a legit team. It disrupts EVERYTHING and pretty much destroys the opposing teams synergy while still having some synergy of its own.

Tetz

Smash Cadet
NNID
tetzyeah
:o why not??
Well it depend's how well your Mate is able to handle the hydrant. Also, there is so much to look for: three players, the hydrant and "what the hell is my bonus fruit?" (sometimes teammatches are pretty noisey, so I can't hear the fruit haha).
Well the worst strategy against Pacman in Teams is probably the following: When your teammate dies and you are all up alone against two players and one of them is able to catch one of your fruits, it's almost always over for you lol. Because the player with the catched fruit can dodge you and run away from you, while you are in a 1v1 against the remaining player. You are simply not able to fight that guy with your Fruits, very annoying.

busken

Smash Ace
Being my favorite character in smash, and further inspired by innovators such as Koolaid and Abadango I have decided to fully main Pac-Man. I think I really help this community because the information is really scrambled and unappealing to newcomers. Hopefully, we can all get better and learn how to develop a style of play by seeing the true viability in our tool set and constantly innovating.

Jay-kun

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apple first~<3
guys just came to say that all smash players need plenty of rest and I think we all should have days where we don't touch the tv

Top Bottom