• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
ahh, good to see the good ol' pacman thread back on its feet. The roster prediction thread gave me a headache with all the pac-hate. To continue this discussion, I would like to say as a competitive player, that pac-man doesn't only have to appeal to a casual crowd. He has to have some sort of playstyle to appeal to both casuals and competitives though...has anyone thought of making him have a playstyle based around 4-directional movement and high maneuverability? (a throw-back to the arcade game)
His smashes can have very low lag frames, and he can have fox's speed with very good traction to make fast turns. But, he still should incorporate moves from his world series (they're too fun to ignore! I even ordered pac-man world 2 on amazon to play again.) and he can have moves from other Namco series like tekken to represent Namco as a whole. Any one got a moveset? I do.

Pac-Man Eats the Competition!
STATS
Pac-man was not always the best of fighters until he was trained by the famed pac-master and went on his own journey. His speed is now around Mario's, but when he dashes, he takes out his roller skates and goes at foxes speed. He has traction that allows him to stop on a dime and turn faster than anyone In smash. His first jump is pretty average matching foxes's, but his second jump is when he uses his magic boots from pac-land and he goes pretty high, surpassing Mario's first jump in height. He can also, cling to the stage and wall jump His aerial speed is above average and can easily connect aerials for great combos. He can glide with his hang glider from pac man 2. His falling speed is at about falco's speed surprisingly knowing that he eats everything. His power in moves is actually surprisingly above-average after a long history of chasing ghosts and duking it out with other spectral creatures and monsters. Can match mr.G&W's power in a fight. He focuses on exploiting weaknesses in the opponent and gimps them. He also keeps the opponent running since most of his attacks pressure shields and have good spacing. A close up, but well spaced shield breaker. Wanna shield all day, breaks the shield with high pressuring chomps. Wanna camp on the other side of the stage, a pac-double will kick your tail without pac-man having to go over there.
  • Size: 3/5 (Mario height)
  • Weight: 2.5/5 (average weight)
  • Power: 3.5/5 (great power, all around)
  • Ground Speed: 4/5 (dash speed at diddy kong's level)
  • Traction: 5/5 (stops and turns on a dime)
  • Jump Ability: 2.5/5 (average, down special helps this)
  • Air Speed: 3/5
  • Fall Speed: 3/5
Specials
B: CHOMP!- Pac-Man eats the opponent and gains 5% back to his percentage bar per second. Pac-Man can still walk around normally and do any attacks that don't involve eating like his forward smash(He doesn't slow down like Kirby) for up to 5 seconds until Pac-Man then has to shoot the opponent out of his mouth in the form of eyeballs that turn back into the foe after knockback is done. This move can be aimed in 4 directions, akin to the vertical/horizontal gameplay of the original. Aiming it downward on the ground lays the opponent down like G&W's down grab. When jumping in the air, the downward aim spikes. This move's knockback can not be DI'd out of, but is affected by percentage making this a great KO move, and the pac-man player can choose to spit the Opponent out of his mouth with the B button whenever he/she feels.
Side B: Maze Teleport- Pacman walks into an empty void like he does in the arcade game. After one second, he comes chomping out of the opposite side of the map, in the opposite direction he went in, with 4 ghosts behind him. Pac man and the ghosts do damage to the opponent while pac-man goes chomping in the air for about 1.5 seconds. The ghosts then turn to eyeballs and disappear. does 5% per chomp of pac-man's mouth, ghosts do 3% per hit. A very good vertical recovery move.
Down B: Butt Bounce- Pac-Man jumps up and bounces back down with his...Butt. Can be use 3 times in a row after the first bounce. Meteor smashes in mid-air, 3rd hit pushes opponent away like toon link's d-air. Can be moved side to side across the whole stage. 3rd hit makes a shock wave that does 5% on contact (1st hit does 9%, 2nd does 10%, and 3rd does 13%. ) From Pac-Man world 2
Up B: Pac-Dot Chain- Pac-Man throws out a red pac dot and eats it. He turns back into 8 bit form and a ghost chases him while he is eating. When he does a line of pac-dots form in mid air. You can control where the pac-dots turn. It can also latch onto the stage. Pac-Man eats the dots as fast as a fire fox's speed. The hitboxes in this move are pacman and the ghost. From Pac-Man world 2
Smashes
Forward smash- Chomp #2:
Pac-Man leans back while charging, and leans forward and chomps when the move is executed. Little to no start-up lag(throwback to the pac-man games where pac-man's chomps are always super quick). Pokes the hell out of shields like Mr.G&W's back aerial when tippered(which is the sourspot) and freezes the opponent like wolf's forward tilt while a gulping noise plays(Throwback to the games when a ghost was eaten, the game would freeze and points would show). Can also slip through shields at times. 19-30% fully charged at sweepspot
17-27% fully charged at sourspot. High knockback. (maybe best forward smash in the game...)

Up Smash- Uppercut:
Pac-man jumps upward and does an uppercut. The hitbox is from the ground to the tip of his fist with the sweetspot and sour spot being like marth's up smash (15% uncharged 24% fully charged.). Start up fast and drags foes inward and upward. average knockback. from world series
Down Smash- Metal Pac: Pac-man jumps upward and slams down on the ground causing a shockwave. Noticable start-up lag, but is one of the strongest down smashes in terms of horizontal knockback. inspired by bridgeswithturtles. from the world series (14% uncharged 22% fully charged.) average knockback.
Standard Attacks
AAA combo: Punch, Punch, KO- Pac-man throws a left hook, right hook, then a jab that sends out a small shock wave in front of him that pressures shields and can go through multiple foes on start up. (4%, 6%, then 9%.)
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UFMBujNRfs 5:12 - 5:15. From Pac-Man world 3
Dash attack: Pellet trail- Pacman flies forward and bites opponent 3 times. Moves pac-man at the speed of captain falcon's run. Pressures shields on all hits like Kirby's dash attack. Comes out fast and doesn't slow down his run. Also, has no visible lag at the cool down. (1st hit 2%, 2nd hit 3%, 3rd hit 5%. 10% in total)
F-tilt: Sonic Wave - pac man sends out a sound wave from pac and pal that does little damage but stabilizes opponents for a quick second. (5%)
U-tilt: Headbutt - pac man does a small headbutt upwards. That hits opponents from the side, and carries them upwards. Can juggle. ( 8%)
D-tilt: Ankle Biter - pacman does a rapid chomp that pushes him forward a character space. Very fast and can be combed into a grab. Breaks shields after a few hits(4%)
ledge attack: Pac-man comes up with a frontflip and hits opponent with both his fists. average knockback (5%)
100% ledge attack: pac-man comes up slowly and then chomps the opponent. Pokes shields (10%)
Floor attack: Pacman rises up like Dracula out of a coffin and punches both sides of him. short range, but comes out fast. low knockback (7% each side)
100% floor attack: Pac-man comes up and chomps both sides of him. Good and fast surprise attack. average knockback (10%)
Aerials
U-air: Skate Slice- Pac-Man does a flip kick with skates on and does slicing damage, like a blade. Does upward knockback on starting frames, but ending frames cause sideways knockback. Cuts through air dodges and shields. Very high knockback (does 12%)From Pac-man world 2.
D-air: Galaga - Pac-Man pulls out a galaga ship and shoots downward with it. The ammo goes down really fast and if it lands on the opponent at all, on any part of their body, they are meteor smashed.(does 13%) Meteor smashes. High knockback.
F-air: Pellet blast - Pac-man shoots pellets out of his mout while moving his head up and down. Barrages foe and hits above, below, and in front of pac-man. Shield pressure. 11% damage. medium knockback
B-air : Ghost - Pac-man turns back and chomps backwards while being chased by a ghost. It turns pac-man around and does multiple hits with shield breaking capabilities. Comes out fast and the hitboxes are the ghost and pac-man. The ghost absorbs projectiles. (10% damage) average knockback
N-air : Smiling Spin - pac-man spins around in a circle and hurts opponents while facing the screen. (does 6% on first hit, 1% on any other frame but the first.) average knock back on first frames, but no knockback after that.
Z- air : Grappling Hook - pac man pulls out his grapple from the old pac-in-time game and lunges it forward like link's. The tip can hit multiple times on starting and ending frames but only the tip does damage. The rope will push the character into the tip however. (5%)
Throws
Grab: Pac-man sends out a dig-dug pump and catches the opponent. Very fast start-up with no ending lag.
Pummel: Inflation - Pac-man inflates(lol) the opponent (6% each hit) The special aspect of this pummel is that after about 3 pummels the opponent is automatically released with high knockback, but if you don't throw them, or pummel them again after about .5 seconds, the opponent is simply released in front of you and left immobile for 1 second.
F- throw - Pellet shoot : pacman throws opponent up, and blasts them for The dward with rapid-fire pellets. Can hit nearby opponents. Great for blasting opponents off the stage. Does multiple hits (does 12%) High knockback
D-throw: Ribbon-loop - pacman spits the opponent on the ground and eats a ribbon loop pellet. The opponent stands up while pac-man circles around the opponent. A circle appears around them and then closes in on them, exploding on contact. (does 15%damage) does high knockback and sends them careening upwards.
U-throw - Flip kick: pacman spits out opponents upward and flip kicks them. average vertical knockback
B-throw- toss: pacman tosses opponent diagonally backwards and chomps opponents as they go upward. Does three hits. (1st hit 2%, second hit 4%, 3rd hit 4% damage) high knockback
Taunts
Up-taunt - pacman turns back into 8 bit and does his dying animation with the death music.
Down taunt- pac-man turns and gives a thumbs up to the audience
Side-taunt- pacman throws and kicks a pac dot around like a soccer ball then eats it. From pacman world series
Final Smash
Pac-man eats a power pellet and everyone turns blue. Some people even revert to ghost forms (like boo Mario and luigi). Pac-man turns into 8 bit form and if he chomps you then it is an immediate KO while point show up on the screen after every kill. Lasts for about 10 seconds and everyone turns back to normal with pac-man being brought back to his 3d form.
When defeated: Pac-man sits on the ground like this only without armor while scratching his head.
When Pac-man wins: the pac-man opening theme plays while pac-man is chasing a ghost, and he finally eats it and gives a thumbs up.
Pretty much just edited my post on the 23rd page with some upgraded moves :laugh:
I may need someone with more knowledge on tekken to incorporate some tekken moves. Tekken moves should replace his U-tilt and D-tilt since they are the moves that didn't know what to put for.

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
5% per second would be completely broken. And teleporting to the other side of the screen, if I'm reading that correctly, also seems pretty broken.
Look at Ivysaur in Project M. He has the ability to heal itself at about 1% per second, and it's the top-tier character.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
It would really depend on what Namco would want to market. Classic Mega Man has always been the definitive Mega Man, and that's the one that Capcom uses the most in promotion and marketing. Namco seems intent on pushing the new design for Pac lately, but they also make frequent use of 8-bit Pac-Man in their material as well, less so the original cabinet design. Personally, I think the modern design is most likely, but classic is a possibility.
I'm really wondering what they plan to do. When I say that their latest game flopped, I meant that it flopped. If they're smart, they'll design their newset Pac-Man and use him in Smash. That would gain him a solid fanbase again when they try and release their newer games.

Good moveset, but sounds broken. I do think it's a really good idea to give him the best turning speed in the game and focus on 4-directional movement. That's the best part of this. I'll probably steal a bit of that for my own moveset.

Not bad, Pacman9. Actually, I've considered a moveset based on 4-directional movement and mobility myself. I'll probably contribute a new moveset eventually as well.
Can't wait to see it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
5% per second would be completely broken. And teleporting to the other side of the screen, if I'm reading that correctly, also seems pretty broken.
Look at Ivysaur in Project M. He has the ability to heal itself at about 1% per second, and it's the top-tier character.
Good moveset, but sounds broken.
PAC-MAN FOR GOD-TIER!! :troll:

But seriously, at least pac-man lets go of the opponent. Maybe i'll make pac-man spit the opponent out immediately instead of waiting five seconds. Less broken. I guess I was trying my absolute best to make pac-man interesting and my personal bias toward him made me want to make him broken :laugh:

Not bad, Pacman9. Actually, I've considered a moveset based on 4-directional movement and mobility myself. I'll probably contribute a new moveset eventually as well.
Thanx! ;)
Surprisingly, immediately after I posted it in the roster prediction thread, Saturn liked it, befriended me, and started following me! If I can turn a pac-hater like him around, I think I might have made a pretty good moveset:laugh:
And I can't wait to see your new moveset too. I like it when there are more movesets around here!

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Congrats to my fellow Pac-supporters! Why are you being congratulated, you may ask?

In Shortiecanbrawl's new poll, Pac-Man has reached high tier! :D

He's currently tied with Palutena for the lowest character in High tier at 510 points.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
When I say that their latest game flopped, I meant that it flopped. If they're smart, they'll design their newset Pac-Man and use him in Smash. That would gain him a solid fanbase again when they try and release their newer games.
Unless what you mean by this is that they should use the current design in Smash to improve its reputation, then I greatly disagree. Ghostly Adventures flopped because it was a bad game, for numerous reasons as a result of not meeting various industry standards. The design had little to nothing to do with it. Sonic Adventure's redesign of Sonic was met with outrage, but the game sold excellently and is well-liked to this day. No matter how many redesigns they give Pac-Man, Namco's not going to turn around his series' performance until they start putting in effort to make the games actually good. Championship DX is proof of this. It reverted back to the pie-shape design, but still sold fantastically and got great reviews. Not because of the design of the character, which I doubt many people care about, but because it's a great game.

If Namco abandoned the new design this early, it'd simply convince consumers that they're desperate to reinvent the character and find a new audience, which would only make it harder for them to accomplish such a goal. But more importantly, abandoning the current design would show that they have low confidence in their decisions and that their current business practices aren't doing well; this is the last thing any corporation wants the public to think. It's better for Namco to keep trying to find success with the current design. Instead of focusing on what Pac-Man looks like, they should understand that it doesn't matter what he looks like so long as his games aren't of any quality. It's the same reason Nintendo should stay committed to the Wii U and find a way to make it succeed, rather than just cut off support for it and release a new console. They shouldn't run from their problems. They need to confront and fix them.

Namco's handling of Pac-Man confuses me, quite honestly. They attempt to revive the character for modern audiences and fail miserably at making him interesting in any way (Pac-Man Party, Ghostly Adventures), yet they still know how to make a quality game that captures the spirit of the originals (Championship series) and they can portray him as a character of great sacredness and legacy with respect to his roots (Street Fighter X Tekken). It's like they hold the character up on this golden pedestal on some days, but freely use that pedestal as a plunger on days when they're too lazy to care.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Unless what you mean by this is that they should use the current design in Smash to improve its reputation, then I greatly disagree. Ghostly Adventures flopped because it was a bad game, for numerous reasons as a result of not meeting various industry standards. The design had little to nothing to do with it. Sonic Adventure's redesign of Sonic was met with outrage, but the game sold excellently and is well-liked to this day. No matter how many redesigns they give Pac-Man, Namco's not going to turn around his series' performance until they start putting in effort to make the games actually good. Championship DX is proof of this. It reverted back to the pie-shape design, but still sold fantastically and got great reviews. Not because of the design of the character, which I doubt many people care about, but because it's a great game.

If Namco abandoned the new design this early, it'd simply convince consumers that they're desperate to reinvent the character and find a new audience, which would only make it harder for them to accomplish such a goal. But more importantly, abandoning the current design would show that they have low confidence in their decisions and that their current business practices aren't doing well; this is the last thing any corporation wants the public to think. It's better for Namco to keep trying to find success with the current design. Instead of focusing on what Pac-Man looks like, they should understand that it doesn't matter what he looks like so long as his games aren't of any quality. It's the same reason Nintendo should stay committed to the Wii U and find a way to make it succeed, rather than just cut off support for it and release a new console. They shouldn't run from their problems. They need to confront and fix them.

Namco's handling of Pac-Man confuses me, quite honestly. They attempt to revive the character for modern audiences and fail miserably at making him interesting in any way (Pac-Man Party, Ghostly Adventures), yet they still know how to make a quality game that captures the spirit of the originals (Championship series) and they can portray him as a character of great sacredness and legacy with respect to his roots (Street Fighter X Tekken). It's like they hold the character up on this golden pedestal on some days, but freely use that pedestal as a plunger on days when they're too lazy to care.
I'm honestly not sure what to think about Namco's use of Pac-Man either.

But you're probably right, actually. It would be silly of them to change his design again so soon (as much as I would like it).

Honestly, I just want them to make games to appeal to everyone instead of just the kiddies, y'know?

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I'm honestly not sure what to think about Namco's use of Pac-Man either.

But you're probably right, actually. It would be silly of them to change his design again so soon (as much as I would like it).

Honestly, I just want them to make games to appeal to everyone instead of just the kiddies, y'know?
I feel the same way. The "new" Pac-Man (ie, the Ghostly Adventures one) is obviously intended for the kids, which is fine. I have no objection to Namco trying to reinvent the character for a modern audience. However, I just don't think they have the right approach. They gave him a fresh coat of paint, but they didn't put any effort into actually making him interesting. He still lacks a likable personality, his world is undeveloped, and any appeal to his roots is relegated to half-hearted "references", like the unclever "Maze High School" and whatnot. Don't get me wrong. I know it's for kids and all, so I'm obviously not the group they're trying to impress, but it just seems to me like they could be doing more to revive the character for modern audiences besides putting him into a generic, cyberpunk world and making occasional and overly blunt references to the original arcade game. I feel like targeting the redesign at older audiences would've been a wiser decision. Older generations probably have more respect for the character, and a genuine effort at reviving him would be easier working from a top-down approach, in my opinion. The kids will like it no matter what, as long as it has enough colors and merchandise.

As for the design itself, well, I've said it before, but I like the new design better than any other design he's ever had. The only problem is the Ghostly Adventures model, which has a larger face, giant hands, unnecessarily long arms, and that toothy grin. Not to mention the awful voice. But the more subdued Pac-Man Party design is the one that continues to be used in the video game "canon", as evidenced by SFXT and Hot Shots Golf, so I suspect that'd be the design we'd see used in Smash. His Ghostly Adventures appearance seems to be limited to the cartoon and its tie-in game, thankfully.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I feel the same way. The "new" Pac-Man (ie, the Ghostly Adventures one) is obviously intended for the kids, which is fine. I have no objection to Namco trying to reinvent the character for a modern audience. However, I just don't think they have the right approach. They gave him a fresh coat of paint, but they didn't put any effort into actually making him interesting. He still lacks a likable personality, his world is undeveloped, and any appeal to his roots is relegated to half-hearted "references", like the unclever "Maze High School" and whatnot. Don't get me wrong. I know it's for kids and all, so I'm obviously not the group they're trying to impress, but it just seems to me like they could be doing more to revive the character for modern audiences besides putting him into a generic, cyberpunk world and making occasional and overly blunt references to the original arcade game. I feel like targeting the redesign at older audiences would've been a wiser decision. Older generations probably have more respect for the character, and a genuine effort at reviving him would be easier working from a top-down approach, in my opinion. The kids will like it no matter what, as long as it has enough colors and merchandise.

As for the design itself, well, I've said it before, but I like the new design better than any other design he's ever had. The only problem is the Ghostly Adventures model, which has a larger face, giant hands, unnecessarily long arms, and that toothy grin. Not to mention the awful voice. But the more subdued Pac-Man Party design is the one that continues to be used in the video game "canon", as evidenced by SFXT and Hot Shots Golf, so I suspect that'd be the design we'd see used in Smash. His Ghostly Adventures appearance seems to be limited to the cartoon and its tie-in game, thankfully.
You put it into words. Thank you.

I mean, it's not like I'm even an adult that grew up in the arcade era. I grew up in the Gamecube era. And I'm still not impressed.

They use Pac-Man's Ghostly adventures design for Mario Kart GP DX, though. And that's something very related to Nintendo.

And this one, of course, is the one that I hate. Fingered gloves, derpy mouth, far too long of a nose, and just...weirdness. I don't even particularly know what's wrong with it. It's just...weird.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
They use Pac-Man's Ghostly adventures design for Mario Kart GP DX, though. And that's something very related to Nintendo.
And this one, of course, is the one that I hate. Fingered gloves, derpy mouth, far too long of a nose, and just...weirdness. I don't even particularly know what's wrong with it. It's just...weird.
You make a point about the GP game. And you know, there's really no way to tell what design they'd go with in Smash. I even stated on the last page that I was willing to accept that they may go with the GA design. Part of me hopes that they only went with that design for GP because it came out within a close timeframe to the GA game. In other crossovers, SFXT and Hot Shots Golf, he still has his Party design, though to be fair, in both cases, his appearance preceded the release of the GA game.

Well, the best we can do is hope. And even if we get that awful kitty-ears design, it's still better than not having Pac-Man at all.

In fact, those of us who were introduced to him by his arcade game (the majority of us) actually prefer the simplistic "eat the dots to win and avoid the ghosts" gameplay that the arcade games use and we really don't bother with modern Pac-Man all that much.
Just thought I'd bring this up, because I really agree with this. While you may have grown up on the GameCube Pac-Man games, I remember him most fondly for the arcade games. I don't care if his newer games are awful, because his moveset would probably just pull from the classics anyway. Not every character has to have had a quality game in recent years to be included. I'd rather have characters from amazing games that are 30 years old than characters who have only existed for a year or two, introduced in a game that will be forgotten down the road. I tend to prefer arcade-style games like that, which is why Pac-Man appeals to me more than someone like another Zelda or Fire Emblem character.

Also, while I admittedly haven't played World 2, I have played the first one, and that game is fantastic. Considering World 2 gets a lot of praise, I can only assume that Pac-Man had good games during the GameCube era as well. Heck, Pac-Man Vs. is a testament to that.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You make a point about the GP game. And you know, there's really no way to tell what design they'd go with in Smash. I even stated on the last page that I was willing to accept that they may go with the GA design. Part of me hopes that they only went with that design for GP because it came out within a close timeframe to the GA game. In other crossovers, SFXT and Hot Shots Golf, he still has his Party design, though to be fair, in both cases, his appearance preceded the release of the GA game.

Well, the best we can do is hope. And even if we get that awful kitty-ears design, it's still better than not having Pac-Man at all.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Just thought I'd bring this up, because I really agree with this. While you may have grown up on the GameCube Pac-Man games, I remember him most fondly for the arcade games. I don't care if his newer games are awful, because his moveset would probably just pull from the classics anyway. Not every character has to have had a quality game in recent years to be included. I'd rather have characters from amazing games that are 30 years old than characters who have only existed for a year or two, introduced in a game that will be forgotten down the road. I tend to prefer arcade-style games like that, which is why Pac-Man appeals to me more than someone like another Zelda or Fire Emblem character.

Also, while I admittedly haven't played World 2, I have played the first one, and that game is fantastic. Considering World 2 gets a lot of praise, I can only assume that Pac-Man had good games during the GameCube era as well. Heck, Pac-Man Vs. is a testament to that.
Also, while I admittedly haven't played World 2, I have played the first one, and that game is fantastic.
haven't played World 2
Heathen.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
As I said before, I didn't grow up with Pac-Man on GameCube. I've always wanted to play World 2, but have never gotten around to it.

Anyway, opinions, fellow supporters, on these color swaps?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
As I said before, I didn't grow up with Pac-Man on GameCube. I've always wanted to play World 2, but have never gotten around to it.

Anyway, opinions, fellow supporters, on these color swaps?

(I was joking about World 2, but you should seriously consider buying the World 2/Pac-man vs. thing for Gamecube)

The color swaps are okay, but I'd change his eye color too. Maybe also consider changing the blue to sky blue to match up with Inky and changing purple to pink for Pinky.

Overall, really nice, but could be nicer.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
(I was joking about World 2, but you should seriously consider buying the World 2/Pac-man vs. thing for Gamecube)

The color swaps are okay, but I'd change his eye color too. Maybe also consider changing the blue to sky blue to match up with Inky and changing purple to pink for Pinky.

Overall, really nice, but could be nicer.
They're not mine, and I'd have to agree. I'm more supportive of actually changing Pac-Man's body color, not just that of his shoes. Something about Pac-Man's default color being used for the red team just seems wrong to me; he's known for being yellow, not red. Also, Pac-Man's palettes should all be colorful and bright. Black isn't a color I feel he should ever be associated with, so I'd axe the black color altogether for pink or something to that effect.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
They're not mine, and I'd have to agree. I'm more supportive of actually changing Pac-Man's body color, not just that of his shoes. Something about Pac-Man's default color being used for the red team just seems wrong to me; he's known for being yellow, not red. Also, Pac-Man's palettes should all be colorful and bright. Black isn't a color I feel he should ever be associated with, so I'd axe the black color altogether for pink or something to that effect.
I honestly kinda want him to use hats and whatnot for costumes. Jr. Pac-Man, anyone? (I would literally scream into a pillow if that happened. I would be more hyped than I've ever been for anything)

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
The main problem with rebooting the continuity of Pac-Man is that the series didn't even have a canon to begin with, like beyond minimal. Which creates the challenge of finding a direction while also staying faithful to the very few elements that were established, hence why some elements like Pac-Man being a glutton and the ghosts being his archenemies/rivals are consistent in many of continuities. Of course, there is the problem of trying to flesh it out since there isn't even a setting to toy with. Where does he live? Who is Pac-Man? What is his world like? Why is he fighting against the ghosts? Those are questions that are constantly pressured through out the series, and unlike something like Mega Man where the continuity is highly consistent, Pac-Man is constantly changing all the time, sometimes even within the same continuity. This of course effects Pac-Man himself, in one continuity he's a responsible father who is simply just trying to get by life but is constantly the butt of every joke, the next he's a dweeb teenager who gets dragged into a struggle against the ghosts constant assaults and a conspiracy over what happened to the yellow pac-people. Which creates a lack of identity, which doesn't help that the character himself tends to be very underwhelming in many of these continuities. In my opinion, the only incarnation of Pac-Man that remotely got my interest was the one from the Pac-Man World trilogy, where he's more of a snark.

Anyway, my main problems with the Pac-Man And The Ghostly Adventures continuity is that many of the jokes fall flat, many of the characters are either forgettable or annoying, and a lack of exciting scenes or original ideas. The only things that's remotely interesting is the parts where they play up the conspiracy as to what happened to Pac-Man's parents and the other yellow pac-people, and the occasional antics of Betrayus, Buttler, and Dr. Buttocks.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik

I mean, it's not like I'm even an adult that grew up in the arcade era. I grew up in the Gamecube era. And I'm still not impressed.

Pac-Man has always had fingered gloves, a derpy mouth, and a nose since the NES days...

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Pac-Man has always had fingered gloves, a derpy mouth, and a nose since the NES days...

But it does it so differently. The thing about modern Pac-man is that he's too detailed. And he has teeth. And the nose really is too long. I also never saw the need for such detailed shoes and eyes. And by derpy, I meant that it's huge. Here, it's relatively small.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't like the fingered gloves either. His design varied a bit from game-to-game and box-art to box-art, but I always liked him better without the fingers, classic or modern.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
It's not so much the new design of Pac-Man that I hate but the design of his new world. A bland Jetsons environment... that's where Pac-Man lives? I always pictured him in some sort of colorful magic fantasy world made of fruit.

Sheesh, who looks at Pac-Man and thinks "Yep I totally see this guy on the Jetsons"?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would have liked it better if Pac-Man's world is a maze that defies logic... kinda like M.C. Escher's art... filled with dots, fruits, Ghosts, and Pac-People...

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
It's not so much the new design of Pac-Man that I hate but the design of his new world. A bland Jetsons environment... that's where Pac-Man lives? I always pictured him in some sort of colorful magic fantasy world made of fruit.

Sheesh, who looks at Pac-Man and thinks "Yep I totally see this guy on the Jetsons"?
Jetsons, no.

Although we all secretly thought he lived in the future.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
My favorite interpretations of Pac-Man's world? Well, first of all, the original "black void and maze" world that the arcade games are largely limited to. Pac-Man, his kin, and the ghosts are the only characters in these games, and they're all largely abstract. They're made of simple shapes, much like the dots and fruit that adorn the mazes. I always interpreted it as an abstract world of simple shapes and bright, neon colors. I second Arcadenik's vision of an MC Escher-like progression of this. Pac-Man is a sphere that eats dots of indiscernible composition, chomping his way endlessly through a maze in some sort of pocket dimension, being chased by ghosts that he can also eat when he swallows bigger dots. The character and scenario make no sense. Thus, a world that makes no sense would be quite welcome.

My second favorite version of Pac-Man's world? Wait for it....Pac-Man 2. Yeah, seriously. It's basically just the normal, real world, except for some reason, one family in the neighborhood is comprised of anthropomorphic yellow balls instead of humans. It's just hilarious how mundane the world is. They went straight from having Pac-Man in a dark, abstract maze, to having him live in standard suburbia. The contrast is ridiculous, but always something I actually sort of liked. It's so ridiculous that it makes just as little sense as the MC Escher world.

My ideal version of Pac-Man's world would be an abstract one, where nearly everything appears to be bright, shiny, neon, semi-transparent, and/or metallic. Sort of a sensory overload aesthetic, as if he lives in a world built out of a video game arcade.

Agreed that the generic, cyberpunk Jetsons world makes no sense. It's a setting I'd imagine Sonic the Hedgehog living in, though that thought carries a different, long-winded argument on its own, and I'd like to avoid opening that can of worms.

Gam3rALO

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gam3rALO
Congrats to my fellow Pac-supporters! Why are you being congratulated, you may ask?

In Shortiecanbrawl's new poll, Pac-Man has reached high tier! :D

He's currently tied with Palutena for the lowest character in High tier at 510 points.
Thats Great!!! If Pac Man gets in, I don't care who else gets in..

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Which meaning of snark? witty or asnine? I always believed he was more of the former in pacman world 3. He acted far too heroic in pac-man world 2 and 1 to be snarky.
Well, the point is that he's less wimpy and more witty. I'm not generally a fan of whimpy characters, unless it's for the purpose of character development, like say Simon from Gurren Lagann.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

The only thing that really annoys me about the new design is Pac-Man's eyes. Like, it really pisses me off for some reason. I much prefer him to have completely black eyes. Like he normally does. Having teeth is a little too weird too. The fingered gloves aren't too much of an issue for me. But I guess having mitts would make him a little different from Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man. The only thing I like about the new design is the shoes, they look kind of cool.

I'm not even one of those guys that hates redesigns either.

I do wonder why in that sub-par at best cartoon, Ms.Pacman isn't any where to be seen. She's literally 1 of the 5 characters any average Joe can actually regonize with out playing any Pacman game.

Seriously, if someone is good at Photoshop, give Kirby or Toad New Pacman's more detailed eyes and tell it would not look wrong on multiple levels. Like, every single level.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only thing that really annoys me about the new design is Pac-Man's eyes. Like, it really pisses me off for some reason. I much prefer him to have completely black eyes. Like he normally does. Having teeth is a little too weird too. The fingered gloves aren't too much of an issue for me. But I guess having mitts would make him a little different from Mario, Sonic, and Mega Man. The only thing I like about the new design is the shoes, they look kind of cool.

I'm not even one of those guys that hates redesigns either.

I do wonder why in that sub-par at best cartoon, Ms.Pacman isn't any where to be seen. She's literally 1 of the 5 characters any average Joe can actually regonize with out playing any Pacman game.

Seriously, if someone is good at Photoshop, give Kirby or Toad New Pacman's more detailed eyes and tell it would not look wrong on multiple levels. Like, every single level.
Those eyes bother me as well. They just stare into your soul... I much prefer the black eyed peas.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Those eyes bother me as well. They just stare into your soul... I much prefer the black eyed peas.

I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes another "Psycho Villager" meme if he were to be in Smash with this design and reenacted this scene in the game. :troll:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I guess I'm in the minority in preferring the new eyes. They do add a fair degree of creepiness, but mostly in SFXT, where I'm pretty certain that creepiness was deliberately played up. In Pac-Man Party, they're less static and more emotive. The pie eyes make him appear too anachronistic for my tastes, and this is coming from someone who adores black-and-white cartoons. The pie-eyed design is overall fine with me, though. It's hard for me to gripe about the design of a character who's so simple no matter which way you cut it.

"Pac-Man's Amazing Full-Colour Fan Club: Obsessed With Pies and Eyes"

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Add me as a supporter. Pac Man Versus is best Pac Man Game.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I guess I'm in the minority in preferring the new eyes. They do add a fair degree of creepiness, but mostly in SFXT, where I'm pretty certain that creepiness was deliberately played up. In Pac-Man Party, they're less static and more emotive. The pie eyes make him appear too anachronistic for my tastes, and this is coming from someone who adores black-and-white cartoons. The pie-eyed design is overall fine with me, though. It's hard for me to gripe about the design of a character who's so simple no matter which way you cut it.

"Pac-Man's Amazing Full-Colour Fan Club: Obsessed With Pies and Eyes"
I think the black eyes works well with his design. In the same vein that it works for Kirby. This isn't exactly a redesign like Sonic, where the character had a relativity complex look and then you just make him a little taller and give him irises. Pac-Man was as simple as it gets. A circle with limbs. I feel he's a character that thrives off of simplicity. So introducing a very noticeable, more detailed element to said design, just throws things out of wack. Well that's why I don't like the new eyes anyway.

Though I do like redesigns like Toon Link, Mega Man EXE, and others. But Pac-Man's misses the mark for me.

MrsAccount

Smash Cadet
Design is so important and a big part why he's just not popular anymore, believe it or not, is because of it. The design of the character is representative of a series as a whole. Modern Pacman doesn't have games that actually work with the mechanics of the original; he's trying to be Mario and kid-friendly, whilst shoving outdated references in your face. (He has bloody shoes with himself on them, wtf)

I recently had such a giant pulse of hatred for Pac's modern design, to the point where I made a quick redesign. Pacman never was for kids. He was for everyone the day he began existing. I thought Pac could do with a Rayman Origins treatment, where someone would actually bring some life into him. Letting go off the past would be such a relief for Pac. The Arcade Cabinet Pacman simply does not work anymore; that design was not perfect by a long shot. He doesn't look at all like the never-fulfilled hunger-driven ball that people envisioned him like, he has no character at all apart from "safely marketable"

The arcade cabinet look was fitting for the time being, but times move, and so should he.

Top Bottom