• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Pacman world. It represented pacman as a fighter better than pacman 2 and more people remember the world series.
Im not one of them xD
Well i was asking important for the character in general but yes, after some more dig in the franchise you are completely right.

Thanks.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Your welcome. Im just glad someone else replied to the thread. Now can you help me out and reply to my moveset idea for pacman's forward smash and B move?

Well i like your intentions on B chomp, it actually gives me some hopes on what sakurai/namco could be doing, cause i also thought in something similar.
But you are thinking too much in kirby, basically just changing the star with the eyeballs, i imagine something really different on pac :p

But is ok i guess, sacrifice range in favor of more throw options, yes, wario should be reading this xD

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oooh, I think this could possibly mean Pac-Man's reveal, along with Little Mac's and Mii's :o
True, even though Pac World (the Japanese version of Pac Man & The Ghostly Adventures) will be out in Japan around that time. Two snowy times to look out for the Pac's inclusion.

Rosalina suporter

Smash Ace
I didin't know he lived close to the Namco Bandai Games development studio.:eek:

http://www.polygon.com/2013/11/20/5127488/a-day-in-the-extremely-busy-life-of-masahiro-sakurai

Masahiro Sakurai, creator of the Smash Bros. series, is serious about his craft. How serious, you ask? So serious that he's taken up temporarily residence right nearby the Namco Bandai Games development studio in Shinagawa, Tokyo his team's using to create the new Wii U and Nintendo 3DS Super Smash Bros.

"I've lived within walking distance of the development studio ever since development on the new Smash Bros. began," Sakurai wrote inFamitsu magazine.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's been a week since Pac World (Known as Pac Man and The Ghostly Adventures in North America and Europe) been out in Japan and Pac Man has yet to be revealed. The only option left is to wait until the next anniversary of the original arcade game's Japanese release (May 22nd) or when the full game comes out if he's just an unlockable.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030

His colors should be based on the different Ghost he fights. Blinky is the Red one. Inky he's the Blue one. Pinky is well, the Pink one. and Clyde is Orange. All we would need now is a green color to use for team battles. The Pac-Man Jr. color looks pretty good too though, I'll give you that.

Ms.Pacman should be Pac-Man's alternate costume though. they pretty do the same thing gameplay wise.

Would it be bad to have a Ms Pacman alt. costume? or even Puckman for the lols?
Not really. It's probably one of the hew options he's got going for him.

That looks kind of cool actually.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
His colors should be based on the different Ghost he fights. Blinky is the Red one. Inky he's the Blue one. Pinky is well, the Pink one. and Clyde is Orange. All we would need now is a green color to use for team battles.

Not really. It's probably one of the hew options he's got going for him.
I agree that his palettes should be based on the ghosts, though I disagree with Ms. Pac-Man being one of his only options for costumes. Assuming his default appearance is the modern design, a great costume to please those who dislike the current appearance would be classic Pac-Man, as he appeared in games like Pac-Man World. Alternatively, he could get a costume based on his appearance in Pac-Land, with his hat and magic boots.

Or even his knight armor from his younger self in Pac n' Roll.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I agree that his palettes should be based on the ghosts, though I disagree with Ms. Pac-Man being one of his only options for costumes. Assuming his default appearance is the modern design, a great costume to please those who dislike the current appearance would be classic Pac-Man, as he appeared in games like Pac-Man World. Alternatively, he could get a costume based on his appearance in Pac-Land, with his hat and magic boots.

Or even his knight armor from his younger self in Pac n' Roll.

I didn't know about those. I can see them working too actually.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
It has been, for quite some time, rather obvious that the likelihood of Pac-Man taking on his Ghostly Adventures appearance was much higher than any alternative. Quite unfortunate, though I'm perfectly not averse to the idea; we'd still be getting Pac-Man, one way or another. I dislike Sonic's more contemporary appearance myself, but his inclusion as such in Smash 4 was to be expected. We'll just have to learn to live with Pac-Man's new design until Namco decides to take another approach to giving him a makeover.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
I guess i'm one of the few that likes Pac-man's redesign.

If he does get in i would love it if this track made it in:

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
I guess i'm one of the few that likes Pac-man's redesign.

If does get in i would love it if this track made it in:
i personally dont have any major problems with them. the only one i can think of is what is up with those arm sockets he's got goin on? otherwise i see it as a simple updating

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
This FAKE pic deserves to be posted here! :laugh:
I wish that was real!

I think Pac-Man is a lot more unique than most people want to believe... people against Pac-Man say he's boring and bland... that characters from Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Tales have more moveset potential and are unique. But they are just fighting characters with generic punches and kicks and sword attacks... Pac-Man is not like them. Sakurai is interested in unique movesets... Pac-Man could be unique where his playstyle is based on the arcade gameplay.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
One thing that I think both Namco and Sakurai would take a look at for Pac-Man's moveset would be the library of classic Namco arcade games that Pac-Man is so often associated with. If Pac-Man's normal abilities aren't unique enough for Sakurai's tastes, then surely a lot more of interest can be done with material from other sources. For example, why not give him the pump from Dig-Dug (inflation is an effect we've never seen in Smash before), or have him fly around on a ship from Galaga or Xevious (complete with projectile functionality) for his Up Special?

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I posted a little bit of a rant (okay, it was a full blown rant) over at the Roster Prediction Discussion Tread and I figured I might as well post it here and revive the thread:

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can I just say two things about Pac-Man and the previous discussion we had about him?

A:

Pac-Man does have loads of moveset potential. However, being the basic blank slate, Mario-like character he is leaves him with a little of this and a little of that. He does not have many things that are "iconic" to him as he is simply put into whatever role they want him to be in for their next game and they don't really bother with giving him specific powers. Normally, since the newer Pac-Man games are adventuring/collec-a-thon games, he is left with fairly generic powers such as his punch, air kick, and butt bounce. That is, unless he's had a power pellet of some sort. At that point, he gets more interesting (though, admittedly, basic) powers such as a metal form, big butt bounce, lighting powers, a ribbon power (in which a ribbon follows Pac-Man and you have to make a full loop to damage the enemy with an explosion), and the newer fire, chameleon, ice, etc. powers from the new games (and he has a basic power pellet that gives him the power of being able to eat ghosts, obviously). I'm honestly pretty sure that this is a reference to him being pretty helpless in his original game when he doesn't have a power pellet. Without a power pellet, he can navigate the maze and eat stuff, but he can't do much else. With a power pellet, he can do all those things and can also fight back against his enemy ghost monsters.

Now, when we're making a moveset, it feels weird using any of his powers, since he can't normally have them without the use of a power pellet. So we're left with the fairly generic, "bounce on your opponent", "punch your opponent", and "kick your opponent" sort of things. This makes it REALLY hard to make a moveset that's fun and interesting and we're left with a sort of Mario-like case. For Mario, well, all he really does is jump, punch, kick, and spin without his powerups, so what do we do for his moveset? Well, we can give him gear that he's used (F.L.U.D.D.), but that's only a one game thing most of the time. We can make his jump damaging (Up-B), but it looks kinda bland. We can use powerups a bit creatively for stuff we're missing I guess (fireballs and cape). Then we can make a couple of moves up, I guess (up smash). I suppose we could also use certain power ups in a different way than they're used in-game (side smash).

And we're left with a moveset that is basic, but which represents the character well and has references to his games. Not great, but not terrible either.

And no one cares because it's Mario. People are hyped to play as the character Mario! He's popular! He's iconic! He's well-loved! He's basic, sure, but he's Nintendo's freaking mascot!

Pac-Man's in the same basic situation that Mario is in. I suppose we could give him his powerups and we could make a really interesting moveset that's really complicated and fun, but that wouldn't really make a lot of sense since he can't use them that way normally. We'd be misrepresenting that character.

Not only that, but kids and people who just aren't great at fighting games wouldn't like playing as him since they like more simplistic gameplay. They're comfortable and familiar with the character, but they wouldn't think that he's all that fun to play as since he's complicated.

Seriously, think about Pac-Man's fanbase. Pac-Man's fans are normally casual video game players. They play the games because he's recognizable and because the games are easy to get into, regardless of what your skill level is. Basically, we're just like Mario fans, except we're a whole lot smaller and quieter. Most of us are actually terrible at most video games and prefer supporting him by buying his merchandise 'cause he's a cool guy. In fact, those of us who were introduced to him by his arcade game (the majority of us) actually prefer the simplistic "eat the dots to win and avoid the ghosts" gameplay that the arcade games use and we really don't bother with modern Pac-Man all that much.

In order to represent the character accurately and to cater to Pac-Man's fanbase, it's actually a much better idea to give Pac-Man a simple moveset that's easy to pick up in Super Smash Bros..

B:

Which, yes, some people find boring. Especially people that are big fans of fighting games. Or people who join forums to speculate about future games in that series. Or people who talk about frames and character weights and hitboxes and who go to tournaments to play said games.

Smash Bros fans and Smashboards users, basically.

These people generally don't like rounded out, basic characters in their fighting games and they're probably not big fans of Pac-Man since that's what he's most likely going to bring to the table; another well-rounded, balanced, and simple character that's mainly meant to be one that you can just pick up and play.

They don't want that. They want characters that they find interesting, and they never want characters like Pac-Man to get in...And that's fine. That's perfectly understandable. You like what you like and you know what you like. Good for you.

But, please, don't go on and on about how terrible that character is when there are people who grew up with and love the character. You don't see me going around saying that I despise the character Wario because I don't enjoy fart humor and don't want him anywhere near my beloved game of Smash Bros., do you? No, because that's rude and people have their own tastes and interests. I may not like Wario, but there are others who may have grown up with him and who may have waited their whole lives for the chance to play as him in Smash Bros.. I get that. Whatever makes them happy makes me happy, y'know? I'm mature enough to accept the fact that not everyone likes the same things that I like and that not everyone appreciates their favorite characters being called mediocre or uninteresting.

We like Pac-Man. You don't. Okay. Fine. But when we discuss him, please be civil. I accept that you, personally, may not find the character interesting. But that is your opinion only and does not have anything to do with that character's chances and has no reason to be brought up in the Roster Prediction Discussion Thread. Feel free to bring up his hate base like we do with Tingle when we discuss his chances, but don't just mindlessly bash the character. It's disrespectful and just makes you seem like a jerk because that is all you're being.

tl;dr Grow up and stop being so insulted by the fact that there are people who enjoy Pac-man and want him in Smash Bros., k? It's annoying and childish and I, personally, am getting sick of it.

Thank you and good night.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Wow, there was a lot of discussion about how Pac-Man lacks an interesting moveset to work with over in the Roster Discussion last night. Complaints such as "It's not from the Pac-Man game that's most famous" seemed to be the main concern.

I thought I may take a crack at a "Arcade inspired" Pac-Man set of specials(although I'm sure most of these ideas have been mentioned before);

B: Chomp. Yes, it's incredibly obvious but who is more famous for chomping? Wario or Pac-Man? Pac-Man chomps down on a hapless victim whilst the immortal sound of "Wakka wakka" is heard.

Side + B: Power Pellet Ghost chase: A Ghost appears and speedily runs away from Pac-Man in it's helpless form. Depending on the distance from Pac-Man, the ghost deals more damage to those it bumps into. For example the closer Pac-Man is to the weakened ghost the more frantic the ghost is doing better knock back damage.

Up + B: Pellet Recovery: I actually really like the idea that several people have already suggested with Pac-Man gobbling up a line of pellets heading straight up as his recovery so I'm going to stick with this.

Down + B: Cherry. Pac-Man obtains a cherry and eats it healing himself by a small amount. Upon devouring a "100" points symbol appears, moving upwards. The arcade "100" does minimal damage to anyone above Pac-Man, but causing them to flinch. It also can block projectiles from above.

Final Smash: Pac-Man Fever. It's been discussed a lot, but there's only really ONE option worthy enough of being Pac-Man's Final Smash. Pac-Man turns into Classic Pac-Man and now has the ability to chomp away all over the stage going up, down, left and right(but not diagonally) without being constrained by mere petty things like gravity and physics. If opponent gets chomped expect instant KO. Naturally the classic Pac-Man music is heard during this FS.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'm actually going to try my hand at making a moveset for Pac-Man myself, so expect to see that soon.

Also, I got Pac-Man World for Christmas and I'm just waiting for a memory card for my playstation to come in before playing it. Really an impressive game for its time.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Well said, Pacack. And thanks for reviving this thread. It does tend to irritate me when people use their own biases against a character as reasons why they won't or shouldn't be included, but that's not nearly as bad as outright attacking that character's fans. I personally hate Wii Fit Trainer and think her moveset comes off as boring, albeit, fitting of the character, a case similar to what you argued about Pac-Man. Her moves all appear to be generic yoga poses allotted to fill up enough inputs for a moveset. She's only representing one or two games that only casual players tend to enjoy. Really, she's in the same position as Pac-Man, the only differences being that she's first-party, more recent, and not even a fraction as recognizable. I don't go out of my way to hate her fanbase and harass them. Luckily, I can say that I've seen appreciably little of this behavior toward Pac-Man supporters here on Smashboards (but I'm sure it exists at some level). I am greatly against WFT's inclusion, but I accept it and am happy for the fans whom truly wish to play as her. In fact, none of the revealed newcomers have really appealed to me, but they all have acquired massive fanbases already, even though I have been opposed to most of them being included. Personally, I'd like if more people were accepting of Pac-Man, since that's a character I really want to see but which others dislike.

While your point about casual gamers comprising a large section of Pac-Man's fanbase is not unfounded, I would argue against your position that it's necessarily best to give him a simple, more approachable moveset. From my observations, Pac-Man fans are not always casual gamers. Casual gamers, I think, would tend to be more likely to get bored with the game eventually and move on to something else, forgetting about the character. Looking at the success of the arcade originals, we can attribute much of their long-lasting legacies to hardcore players. Those who spend countless hours learning and memorizing the game's very coding. The best paths to take, how to avoid the ghosts at an individual level, and how to get the best score. If they included "Arcade Donkey Kong" as a playable character, which playerbase do you think that would appeal to more? The casual gamer who's never played the game because of its age, or the hardcore gamer who's mastered it and broken world record high scores? I think Pac-Man would be much the same way.

I very much agree, though, that even a simple, "boring" Pac-Man should be included. Even Sonic is boring (if you ask me), but there's no huge hatebase for his inclusion. There is a plethora of characters with a lot of support who would likely be just as boring as Pac-Man could end up being. I won't name anyone, but we know who they are. Let's not overlook also that Sakurai managed to make Rosalina, once considered a "Peach clone", completely unique and interesting while still being in-character. Who's to say that he wouldn't do the same for Pac-Man? People do not have enough faith that Sakurai and Namco would want to portray the character in an interesting light, or they refuse to recognize the possibility.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Luckily, I can say that I've seen appreciably little of this behavior toward Pac-Man supporters here on Smashboards (but I'm sure it exists at some level)
While your point about casual gamers comprising a large section of Pac-Man's fanbase is not unfounded, I would argue against your position that it's necessarily best to give him a simple, more approachable moveset. From my observations, Pac-Man fans are not always casual gamers. Casual gamers, I think, would tend to be more likely to get bored with the game eventually and move on to something else, forgetting about the character. Looking at the success of the arcade originals, we can attribute much of their long-lasting legacies to hardcore players. Those who spend countless hours learning and memorizing the game's very coding. The best paths to take, how to avoid the ghosts at an individual level, and how to get the best score. If they included "Arcade Donkey Kong" as a playable character, which playerbase do you think that would appeal to more? The casual gamer who's never played the game because of its age, or the hardcore gamer who's mastered it and broken world record high scores? I think Pac-Man would be much the same way.
You may very well be right here. Honestly, Pac-Man's fanbase is really difficult to generalize because of Namco's habit of changing the character every generation. There are some fans that are from the arcade era (most of them), some that are from the Gamecube/PS2 era, some from the most recent era...it's hard to pin them down.

I very much agree, though, that even a simple, "boring" Pac-Man should be included. Even Sonic is boring (if you ask me), but there's no huge hatebase for his inclusion. There is a plethora of characters with a lot of support who would likely be just as boring as Pac-Man could end up being. I won't name anyone, but we know who they are. Let's not overlook also that Sakurai managed to make Rosalina, once considered a "Peach clone", completely unique and interesting while still being in-character. Who's to say that he wouldn't do the same for Pac-Man? People do not have enough faith that Sakurai and Namco would want to portray the character in an interesting light, or they refuse to recognize the possibility.
I agree that Sonic's pretty boring moveset-wise (though it all comes from his games, so it's a good moveset when it comes to references). If it wasn't for his ridiculus speed, he'd just be another simple, Mario-esque character.

I also have faith in Sakurai that he'll do something cool with Pac-Man if he's included.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
You may very well be right here. Honestly, Pac-Man's fanbase is really difficult to generalize because of Namco's habit of changing the character every generation. There are some fans that are from the arcade era (most of them), some that are from the Gamecube/PS2 era, some from the most recent era...it's hard to pin them down.
This is true, and it's probably no different from what happened to Sonic and Mega Man. There are Sonic fans who only like the Genesis games, those who only like the Dreamcast era games, etc. There are Mega Man players who only enjoy the NES originals, those who prefer the Battle Network series, and so on. Both Sonic and Mega Man, however, pull almost solely from their classic games for their movesets, so I think Pac-Man would likely end up the same way.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
This is true, and it's probably no different from what happened to Sonic and Mega Man. There are Sonic fans who only like the Genesis games, those who only like the Dreamcast era games, etc. There are Mega Man players who only enjoy the NES originals, those who prefer the Battle Network series, and so on. Both Sonic and Mega Man, however, pull almost solely from their classic games for their movesets, so I think Pac-Man would likely end up the same way.
That's very true. I hadn't thought of that.

Do you think that, like Mega Man, Pac-Man might use his classic design still? I mean, if they're going to use more classic abilities, it would make sense.

Then again, there is Sonic, and he has his modern design, so they might just use Pac-Man's modern or (hopefully) Party design. (Or an entirely new one since PMatGA flopped so badly)

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
That's very true. I hadn't thought of that.

Do you think that, like Mega Man, Pac-Man might use his classic design still? I mean, if they're going to use more classic abilities, it would make sense.

Then again, there is Sonic, and he has his modern design, so they might just use Pac-Man's modern or (hopefully) Party design. (Or an entirely new one since PMatGA flopped so badly)
It would really depend on what Namco would want to market. Classic Mega Man has always been the definitive Mega Man, and that's the one that Capcom uses the most in promotion and marketing. Namco seems intent on pushing the new design for Pac lately, but they also make frequent use of 8-bit Pac-Man in their material as well, less so the original cabinet design. Personally, I think the modern design is most likely, but classic is a possibility.

Top Bottom