• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I don't think Pac-Man is all that popular in terms of how much he's liked and in favor of, at least at SWF. There aren't too many supporters in this thread. He's definitely popular in terms of how recognizable he is, though. I do think that Pac-Man support is stronger than most assume it to be, but I don't think most of his supporters are the type to frequent message boards. I'd estimate that his amount of supporters is similar to that of Dixie Kong, or perhaps Roy (in the West).
I honestly think that Pac-Man is in a field all of his own when it comes to popularity...in that he is loved by many and hated by many. Ridley (outside of these boards) honestly kinda compares. I do think most of his supporters are silent, though.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
Well being the most recognizable character of all time is common knowledge. It's one of our generic arguments FOR the Dot Muncher. :laugh:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Now that Sonic is in, we're one step closer to having the mascots of the companies involved in Project X Zone dukeing it out. Only question I ask myself, do I want Pac-Man over Snake?

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Alright, quick moveset time!
B: Chomp
Wario's chomp, basically, only given to Pac.

Side B: Waka Waka
Pac Man floats forward biting the air about 5 times.

Up B: Pellets
Pac Man chomps 4 pellets midair, allowing him to recover.

Down B: Butt Bounce
Pretty self-explanatory if you're on this thread.

Final Smash: Power Pellet
Pac-Man eats a power pellet and becomes a giant classic Pac-Man sprite. Chaos ensues.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
It does make sense for Pacman to have a bite move for his B special. B specials are usually the iconic move of the character.

B Chomp: A press of B will cause Pacman to constantly chomp. He can run and perform jumps. But he cannot use other attacks. Another press of B will cause him to stop. Good for shield pressure and chasing down fleeing enemies.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Now that Sonic is in, we're one step closer to having the mascots of the companies involved in Project X Zone dukeing it out. Only question I ask myself, do I want Pac-Man over Snake?
I like Snake, but I prefer Pac-Man for sure, myself. Not only because he's my favorite character of all time, but also because he means more to Nintendo than Snake. Just my opinion, though.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
I'd love to have both Pac-Man and Snake. But i just can't see Snake returning in all honesty. Hell, i can't even see him in the "primary colors" of this Smash. (He was already in his primary colors in the realistic/gritty art style of Brawl)

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I'd love to have both Pac-Man and Snake. But i just can't see Snake returning in all honesty. Hell, i can't even see him in the "primary colors" of this Smash. (He was already in his primary colors in the realistic/gritty art style of Brawl)
I don't think that's an issue at all, personally. Although I'm not sure whether or not Snake will fit into the general atmosphere of this game, I don't think that's because of the colors and art-style.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I highly doubt that a character's appearance will have much influence on whether or not they appear in the game. I don't see Sakurai thinking "Oh snap. Snake doesn't have any bright colors on him. Guess we need to cut him and replace him with a more colorful character."

Anyway, I want both Snake and Pac-Man, though I'd prefer the latter if I could only have one.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
There are human beings that think that Pac-man is going to get in over Snake.

Like, actual flesh and blood genuine humans.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I highly doubt that a character's appearance will have much influence on whether or not they appear in the game. I don't see Sakurai thinking "Oh snap. Snake doesn't have any bright colors on him. Guess we need to cut him and replace him with a more colorful character."

Anyway, I want both Snake and Pac-Man, though I'd prefer the latter if I could only have one.
My thoughts exactly.

Honestly, the only reason I see Snake getting cut is if Sakurai decides to add Pac-Man.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
There are human beings that think that Pac-man is going to get in over Snake.

Like, actual flesh and blood genuine humans.
Yeah. I've seen people like those. Although most of those people "EXPECT" Pac-Man and hated Snake. So.....
I don't think that's an issue at all, personally. Although I'm not sure whether or not Snake will fit into the general atmosphere of this game, I don't think that's because of the colors and art-style.

I never said it would. I said that i can't even imagine him in the art style. But thats just a minor gripe i have.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I never said it would. I said that i can't even imagine him in the art style. But thats just a minor gripe i have.
I do think that Snakes just as possible now as he was in Brawl times...however, since Sakurai is already in contact with Namco-Bandai, I would not be surprised by the inclusion of Pac-Man over Snake. Honestly, I think that would be one of the few times that one character is literally cut BECAUSE of another character.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Yeah. I've seen people like those. Although most of those people "EXPECT" Pac-Man and hated Snake. So.....
Of course the irony is that without Snake, the prospect of Pac-man being even remotely possible wouldn't even happen.
Without Snake, we wouldn't of gotten Sonic.
Without Snake, we wouldn't of gotten Mega Man.

Not to mention getting rid of one of the most popular and unique character just for no reason whatsoever feels rather cheap, and all in all in this context it will create a nasty case of Replacement Scrappy with a really weak sense of compensation.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Here's the thing.

Snake has been mentioned by Sakurai as a great addition, so I personally don't see what makes him such an easy character to cut?

Not to mention, if Sakurai thought Snake was received well, then I would ASSUME that he would attempt to get him back, just like he got Sonic. When obtaining the rights to property, it is essentially a contract with Konami that was already fulfilled once before, and could surely be fulfilled again. That being, Sakurai has agreed to include Snake in Smash Wii U/3DS. Once he has agreed, it is legally binding if it is a contract (which is assumably what it is). Therefore, if Sakurai has approached/been approached about it, and he plans on putting Snake in, than Snake is going to be in.

This is simply because Sakurai cannot simply go back on a contract like that. Time constraints have zero affect on third parties, as it would go against the agreement/contract to put them in. he can't agree and then be like, "OH SORRY. OUTTA TIME!"

Either Snake is in, or Snake is out. He isn't going to be cut because of time. It's that simple.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Here's the thing.

Snake has been mentioned by Sakurai as a great addition, so I personally don't see what makes him such an easy character to cut?

Not to mention, if Sakurai thought Snake was received well, then I would ASSUME that he would attempt to get him back, just like he got Sonic. When obtaining the rights to property, it is essentially a contract with Konami that was already fulfilled once before, and could surely be fulfilled again. That being, Sakurai has agreed to include Snake in Smash Wii U/3DS. Once he has agreed, it is legally binding if it is a contract (which is assumably what it is). Therefore, if Sakurai has approached/been approached about it, and he plans on putting Snake in, than Snake is going to be in.

This is simply because Sakurai cannot simply go back on a contract like that. Time constraints have zero affect on third parties, as it would go against the agreement/contract to put them in. he can't agree and then be like, "OH SORRY. OUTTA TIME!"

Either Snake is in, or Snake is out. He isn't going to be cut because of time. It's that simple.
This is a perfectly reasonable viewpoint, even if I do not argee with it.

Morbi

Scavenger
This is a perfectly reasonable viewpoint, even if I do not argee with it.
He is actually correct. Once the agreement was made, a contract is formed, if he breaches his duty (to put Snake in the game) Konami can actually file a claim against Sora Ltd. So he would essentially have to put Snake in the game once he agreed to it. However, I do not think that is how it goes down. I am sure that Sakurai asks for permission to use the license, in which case, he doesn't actually have to put Snake in. Although I doubt he would go through the trouble of acquiring the license without putting Snake in. So in the end, I agree with Booker. Either Snake is in, or Snake is out. Time constraints are irrelevant in Snake's case.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
He is actually correct. Once the agreement was made, a contract is formed, if he breaches his duty (to put Snake in the game) Konami can actually file a claim against Sora Ltd. So he would essentially have to put Snake in the game once he agreed to it. However, I do not think that is how it goes down. I am sure that Sakurai asks for permission to use the license, in which case, he doesn't actually have to put Snake in. Although I doubt he would go through the trouble of acquiring the license without putting Snake in. So in the end, I agree with Booker. Either Snake is in, or Snake is out. Time constraints are irrelevant in Snake's case.
Oh, I agree on that part.

I do disagree on the idea that Sakurai will go out of his way to include him again. Unlike Sonic, Snake really hasn't been all that Nintendo-friendly, so I don't know if Sakurai would bother trying to convince the higher-ups at Nintendo that he should be included again.

Morbi

Scavenger

I do disagree on the idea that Sakurai will go out of his way to include him again. Unlike Sonic, Snake really hasn't been all that Nintendo-friendly, so I don't know if Sakurai would bother trying to convince the higher-ups at Nintendo that he should be included again.
Ah, well I agree with you. I do not necessarily think that it is pertinent that he returns. Most of the "Snake was great in Brawl" is all PR crap coming from Sakurai. Not to mention that it isn't even relevant to the development of Smash 4. Just because Snake worked in Brawl doesn't mean he will work in Smash 4. I do not see why anything would be radically different. However, assuming that the circumstances are the same as they were over 5 years ago is fallacious. We shall see.

In the grand scheme of things, I think Pacman is much more likely to make an appearance.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Because that was a massive problem to begin with.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
Ah, well I agree with you. I do not necessarily think that it is pertinent that he returns. Most of the "Snake was great in Brawl" is all PR crap coming from Sakurai. Not to mention that it isn't even relevant to the development of Smash 4. Just because Snake worked in Brawl doesn't mean he will work in Smash 4. I do not see why anything would be radically different. However, assuming that the circumstances are the same as they were over 5 years ago is fallacious. We shall see.

In the grand scheme of things, I think Pacman is much more likely to make an appearance.
This is essentially my viewpoint on the matter.

I do think Pac-Man is more likely than Snake (even if only barely), because Sakurai is already in contact with Namco-Bandai for other reasons. He has the opportunity, and I fully hope and expect for him to jump at it.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
Here's the thing.

Exactly. Third-parties have priority because of contractual obligation. Sonic was added relatively last-minute in Brawl's production, but they made it work anyway, even if that meant the rumored Forgotten 7 had to be cut/dropped. It's even possible that Sonic's inclusion was partially a reason for the game's delays. But we have to be realistic, though. Snake would've been in Melee if it hadn't already been far along in production. But that's because Kojima tried to strike a deal too late. If Snake had been agreed upon by the time production had started, he would've been in, obviously.

Anyway, I'm not even sure what Snake's chances have to do with Pac-Man's. If either get in, it'll be because of a contractual agreement, and they'll have priority. If Sakurai approves Snake, Snake's getting in. If he approves Pac-Man, Pac-Man's getting in. Neither would be taking a spot from the other, so they can both join the game. Four third-party guests isn't going overboard anyway, and if anything, they'll be taking spots away from first-party characters.

As for Sakurai's own choices on Snake, well, there's no way to tell whether he'll actually approach Kojima/Konami about using him again. Morbid is right in that everything that comes out of Sakurai's mouth regarding Snake until his eventual reveal or deconfirmation is pretty much just PR crap. Sakurai obviously asked Sega for Sonic to return because Sonic brings in the money. I'm sure his decision to include or exclude Snake will be largely based on the dollar as well, but that's if he decides to be the one to take action on Snake. If Konami/Kojima approach him again as it happened last time, I can't imagine him saying no.

Wait, when did this become a Snake thread? Eh, whatever. Snake's awesome. I'd love to have a Snake vs. Pac-Man match, and I hope that becomes a reality with this game.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826

Sakurai didn't go out of his way.

When his good friend Kojima asked to have Snake in the game, Sakurai willingly disagreed with his employer on the decision, and eventually was able to work it in his favor. This is no easy task. But if Sakurai was willing to put the effort in for Snake, I think it is fair to say that he and Kojima have quite the friendship.

The basically means that:
- Sakurai would look like a **** if he doesn't at least ask Kojima about Snake? (Still want him in? Yes? No?)

On a seperate note, Sakurai did not get the request with Konami, he got a request from Kojima. While the he works for Konami, the request did not come from them. Secondly, the conditions for Snake's inclusion are basically no different from his last inclusion. He still has games on Nintendo consoles. He has another game coming out soon. Not really all that different since Brawl.

I don't see the problem with having Snake AND Pac-Man, and I don't think Snake would be the one stopping Pac-Man from getting in the game.

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
What do you think is the most important pacman gen after the arcade? pacman 2 (cartoon, pac in time) or pacman world?

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
regarding the pac-snake issue, i'd rather have pac and replace snake with simon belmont. That's a shoutout to the old NES days.

(Plus then we can do the Captain N: The Game Master Battle :troll: )

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
As far as I'm concerned Kevin can go eat ****.

Bring on Pit-icus vs. Simon "The Pilot" Belmont and Green Palette Swap Mega Man :troll:
yeah those were awful representations of those characters... well Pit could have been worse. he was a little annoying but he at least looked right.

T1000416

Smash Cadet
Bring Pac-Man in and have Mario, Luigi, and Donkey Kong face him in an Event Match at either 75m, Mario Bros., or a Pac-Man stage. The chance of seeing these arcade kings face each in SSB would be a great fan-service dream come true for me. And I would not be happy to see this dream not come true.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I honestly think that Pac-Man is in a field all of his own when it comes to popularity...in that he is loved by many and hated by many. Ridley (outside of these boards) honestly kinda compares. I do think most of his supporters are silent, though.
Exactly... most of Pac-Man supporters like me were silent before it was announced that Namco is helping Sakurai develop SSB4... we merely stopped being silent about it.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I believe that Pac-Man's two chomp based moves should be very special , with weird functioning.

B-Chomp: Pac-Man eats the opponent ad gains 5% back to his percentage bar. Pac-Man can still walk around normally and do any attacks that don't involve eating like his forward smash(He doesn't slow down like Kirby) for up to 5 seconds until Pac-Man then has to shoot the opponent out of his mouth in the form of eyeballs that turn back into the foe after knockback is done. This move can be aimed in 4 directions, akin to the vertical/horizontal gameplay of the original. Aiming it downward on the ground lays the opponent down like G&W's down grab. When jumping in the air, the downward aim spikes. This move's knockback can not be DI'd out of, but is affected by percentage making this a great KO move, and the pac-man player can choose to spit the Opponent out of his mouth with the B button whenever he/she feels. This move's duration is also affected by the amount of times the opponent button mashes(so it's not too overpowered)

Forward-Smash: Pac-Man leans back while charging, and leans forward and chomps when the move is executed. Little to no start-up lag(throwback to the pac-man games where pac-man's chomps are always super quick). Pokes the hell out of shields like Mr.G&W's back aerial when tippered(which is the sourspot) and freezes the opponent like wolf's forward tilt while a gulping noise plays(Throwback to the games when a ghost was eaten, the game would freeze and points would show). Can also slip through shields at times. 19-30% fully charged at sweepspot
17-27% fully charged at sourspot. High knockback. (maybe best forward smash in the game...)

Top Bottom