• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Pac-Man's Amazing Full Colour Fan Club! - Pac-Man General Thread

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Having caught myself defending Pac-Man as a choice to my friends over Skype, I suppose I'm a Pro Pac guy!

Still can't believe the amount of hate the most legendary video game character of all time receives. Just baffling.
That's because they fear that Pac-Man could get in over a Namco character they like... you know, someone who is more experienced in fighting like the characters in Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Tales... because MUH MOVESET POTENTIAL!

Also, because Pac-Man does not aesthetically look cool/badass compared to characters with swords, magic, muscles, and/or T&A.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That's because they fear that Pac-Man could get in over a Namco character they like... you know, someone who is more experienced in fighting like the characters in Tekken, Soulcalibur, and Tales... because MUH MOVESET POTENTIAL!
Someone really needs to get Sakurai to specifically state that swords=/=(interesting)moveset potential at some point. Have we not done basically everything that's possible to do with swords between Link, Tink, Yink, Marth, Roy, Ike and Meta Knight by this point? What in blue blazes is Mitsurugi going to add over Pac?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Someone really needs to get Sakurai to specifically state that swords=/=(interesting)moveset potential at some point. Have we not done basically everything that's possible to do with swords between Link, Tink, Yink, Marth, Roy, Ike and Meta Knight by this point? What in blue blazes is Mitsurugi going to add over Pac?
Yeah, not to mention we are most likely getting more NINTENDO swordfighters (Chrom, Takamaru, Shulk, to name a few) so there's no point for a NAMCO swordfighter.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
The topic of swords is a touchy one, as I feel that both sides make good arguments. The "anti-sword" side of the argument claims that there is nothing more to do with swords, yet we have plenty of characters that fight primarily with their fists, and there seems to be no problem in terms of moveset diversity. However, when you look at many of the popular picks for newcomers (Isaac, Takamaru, Shulk, every Fire Emblem character in existence), it does sort of come off as overkill. On the other hand, the "pro-sword" argument claims that there's no limit to unique sword-based movesets, and in some cases, that popularity/importance trumps uniqueness (though Sakurai seems to think otherwise). The interesting part about all of this though, is that many sword-using characters actually do have quite a bit of potential to be unique and visually distinct from other characters already playable, but Pac-Man himself would have trouble distinguishing himself without Sakurai/the developers getting really creative.

I personally see the merit in both arguments. On one hand, I don't want half of the newcomers to be sword-users because I do feel like it's a bit aesthetically boring to some extent, but I also believe that a unique moveset can be made for just about anyone (Roy wasn't a clone because he uses a sword, but because he was a rushed, last-minute addition), and I do believe that a character's significance should be able to overcome a possible lack of uniqueness, which is why I support Pac-Man. Not that I believe Pac to be expressly lacking in moveset potential, but even if he were (or is), I'd still support him anyway.

As for competition from other Namco characters, I like to look at it as not only "Who is their most important character?" but more importantly "Who is more important to Nintendo?" Sure, I'd love to play as Nightmare in Smash Bros, just as I love playing as Snake. But I'd rather have Pac-Man for being more important to Nintendo, just as I felt like Simon Belmont would've been a better choice from Konami. This, of course, is not an argument so much as a sentiment, as Snake is precedent that being the most obvious pick from a company is not that strong of a criterion.

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
just as I felt like Simon Belmont would've been a better choice from Konami.
In my opinion, when it comes to third parties, importance to Nintendo is second to importance to gaming. If Konami has to have a rep, Snake is without a doubt that rep. Metal Gear is Konami's flagship series. Also, not only is Castlevania a shadow of its former self, but Simon Belmont isn't even the sole main character of the franchise the way that Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, Bomberman, etc. are. Castlevania is like Final Fantasy in that regard, except not as extreme.

Pokeking

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
If Pac-Man does get in, I hope one of his music themes is the theme for Pac Land.
As for me, I would base his design on the one used for the Mario Kart arcade games.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
In my opinion, when it comes to third parties, importance to Nintendo is second to importance to gaming. If Konami has to have a rep, Snake is without a doubt that rep. Metal Gear is Konami's flagship series. Also, not only is Castlevania a shadow of its former self, but Simon Belmont isn't even the sole main character of the franchise the way that Snake, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Rayman, Bomberman, etc. are. Castlevania is like Final Fantasy in that regard, except not as extreme.
I never thought of it that way, but that is entirely possible.
If Pac-Man does get in, I hope one of his music themes is the theme for Pac Land.
As for me, I would base his design on the one used for the Mario Kart arcade games.
Which one? There have been two designs.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
As far as I know Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures has not been released in Japan. I'm not sure how much influence that game would have on his moveset. Pac-Man Party, Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions have been released though along with a slew of cameos and guest appearances there. So yes he's been very busy in Japan, just not his Ghostly Adventures.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
As far as I know Pac-Man and the Ghostly Adventures has not been released in Japan. I'm not sure how much influence that game would have on his moveset. Pac-Man Party, Pac-Man and Galaga Dimensions have been released though along with a slew of cameos and guest appearances there. So yes he's been very busy in Japan, just not his Ghostly Adventures.
I would be happy if he didn't have the chameleon tongue in smash. I say it doesn't change the possibility of it being in his moveset however. Sakurai was probably going with his most recognizable 3d form anyway from pacman world

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Am I the only one who WANTS Pac-Man to have a moveset mostly consisting of eating?
That's kind of his thing. People say it's generic and boring, but I can think of a few ways to make it interesting.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Am I the only one who WANTS Pac-Man to have a moveset mostly consisting of eating?
That's kind of his thing. People say it's generic and boring, but I can think of a few ways to make it interesting.
Most of us here want that. We just want to implement some from his 3d games too. maybe you should check the last few pages of movesets

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I do want that. No other character has a moveset based on eating/biting. They only have an attack or two. Thinking a biting-based moveset can't be unique because Wario already has one biting move is like thinking Ivysaur or Zero Suit Samus couldn't have been unique because Sheik already had a whip for her Side Special.

I do want his moveset to incorporate some material from the World games, though. The rev roll and butt bounce are pretty staple moves of his character now, I'd say.

8-peacock-8

Smash Hero
A moveset based on Biting/eating and Super Ball physics would make Pac-Man more of a Unique fighter then Sonic. lol

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
My main issue with pac-man is that, in my eyes and likely many others eyes.....it's the arcade 2d pac-man with no face that has legendary status alongside Sonic, Mega man and the like.

The 3d version with legs, which would be the one to be used most likely doesn't have legendary status in my opinion. It's just not on the same level as Sonic or Megaman.

I don't care if the 3d model appeared on the first arcade machine, it just doesn't feel right to me....

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
My main issue with pac-man is that, in my eyes and likely many others eyes.....it's the arcade 2d pac-man with no face that has legendary status alongside Sonic, Mega man and the like.

The 3d version with legs, which would be the one to be used most likely doesn't have legendary status in my opinion. It's just not on the same level as Sonic or Megaman.

I don't care if the 3d model appeared on the first arcade machine, it just doesn't feel right to me....
It isn't the appearance that makes the fame, its the character and his game. I am sick and tired of people saying "oh, 3d pac isn't famous, only his circle form *whine*" Pac-man is still pac-man no matter what. I guess we should keep sonic fat since that's where his fame started, and take zero suit samus out of the game because more people know her in suit-form, or keep captain falcon in his speeder.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
It isn't the appearance that makes the fame, its the character and his game. I am sick and tired of people saying "oh, 3d pac isn't famous, only his circle form *whine*" Pac-man is still pac-man no matter what. I guess we should keep sonic fat since that's where his fame started, and take zero suit samus out of the game because more people know her in suit-form, or keep captain falcon in his speeder.
There's still a difference. Sonic didn't suddenly grow eyes and legs when he turned 3d. If you ask somebody at random to describe pacman there's a very good chance they'll describe his in-game arcade incarnation, they might even draw a picture for you.

If appearance and how a character was presented didn't matter we wouldn't have two different links.

I'm not saying 3D pacman isn't famous, I just find it hard to believe he reaches the same heights as his 2d counterpart.

3D Pacman = Famous
2D Pacman = Legendary

What I'm trying to get at is that in terms of Sakurai's requirement for 3rd parties (legendary status) I feel like only pacmans 2d incarnation falls under that. It feels like 3d pacman would be getting in largely because of his 2d counterpart and not as much on his own merits.

There's no need for hostility, its just my gut feeling about the situation.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Golden had recently told us that it will come to Japan under the name "Pac World" this December (I beleive he said on the 5th). So that gives us yet another month to look forward to.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Golden had recently told us that it will come to Japan under the name "Pac World" this December (I beleive he said on the 5th). So that gives us yet another month to look forward to.
Holy cow whats the link that gives pac man 3 chances

If pac world is popular enough. Thats a perfect way for sakurai to give a christmas present to all of us

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

greenluigiman2

Smash Ace
There's still a difference. Sonic didn't suddenly grow eyes and legs when he turned 3d.
Pac-Man has always had limbs, just take a look at the arcade cabinet. He didn't suddenly grow them when he turned 3D. In the earliest version he had eyes, a mouth and legs. When the arcade game got more popular his design added a nose, arms, gloves and boots. Again, this was while he was strictly an arcade character, long before he was in any 3D games.

My point is that it doesn't matter if he didn't look the way he does on the cabinet in the actual arcade game, because that's how the creators intended for him to look. If we apply your logic to Mega Man than he should look like a 3D version of the way he looks in Mega Man 2 since it's where most people know him from.

This:

did not come from this:

It came from this:

The same logic should apply to Pac-Man. Limbs or not, people know Pac-Man when they see him, both versions are the same character.

3D Pacman = Famous
2D Pacman = Legendary

What I'm trying to get at is that in terms of Sakurai's requirement for 3rd parties (legendary status) I feel like only pacmans 2d incarnation falls under that. It feels like 3d pacman would be getting in largely because of his 2d counterpart and not as much on his own merits.
2D Pac-Man and 3D Pac-Man are the exact same character. You cannot seperate them just because of difference in design

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
There's still a difference. Sonic didn't suddenly grow eyes and legs when he turned 3d. If you ask somebody at random to describe pacman there's a very good chance they'll describe his in-game arcade incarnation, they might even draw a picture for you.

If appearance and how a character was presented didn't matter we wouldn't have two different links.

I'm not saying 3D pacman isn't famous, I just find it hard to believe he reaches the same heights as his 2d counterpart.

3D Pacman = Famous
2D Pacman = Legendary

There's no need for hostility, its just my gut feeling about the situation.

What I don't understand is why 3D Pac-Man has to be separated from 2D Pac-Man. It's the same character. 2D Pac-Man's merits are Pac-Man's merits in general. Nobody holds 3D Sonic's bad reputation against him, and clamors for him to be replaced by "2D Sonic". Even if Pac-Man's newer incarnation isn't as recognizable as the pizza pie shape everyone recognizes, it's really not that hard to tell that it's still Pac-Man. I don't know. Maybe I'm biased since I didn't grow up on Pac-Man in the 80s and then stop paying attention to the franchise, but I find it hard to believe that a significant amount of people, whether Average Joe, casual gamer, or hardcore gamer, wouldn't recognize the new design. He's got the original pie-shape Pac-Man on his shoes, for one thing, and he's still a yellow ball man with gloves and sneakers, just as he always has been. Keep in mind that even if, for some reason, gamers in the 80s didn't notice his design on the cabinet art, that anthropomorphic portrayal was still all over the place in the media. Cartoons, clothing, merchandise of all kinds, even cereal, depicted him in an anthropomorphic design. Pac-Man was everywhere at one point, not just limited to an arcade machine's screen. Changing his eyes and making his accessories a bit more detailed really doesn't seem like a change that would make him unrecognizable to most people who were already familiar with the character. And like you said, if 2D Pac-Man is legendary, then 3D Pac-Man is still famous. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that even the newer incarnation of Pac-Man is more recognizable to the public at large than nearly every other character already in Smash Bros, including Snake, and possibly even Mega Man.

2D or not, it's still the same character. If this were a case more like what happened with Dante in PlayStation All-Stars, where they literally chose the rebooted Dante, who was an entirely different character, then I could grasp your position more easily.

And yeah, no need for hostility. I just don't really understand why a character should be limited based on the iconicity of their contemporary appearance.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Hey guys, did it ever come to your attention that Modern Sonic has a moveset similar to what Classic Sonic would have? All spins, you know?
I don't see why Pac-Man can't be the same. Catch my drift?

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
In fact, I'd be willing to bet that even the newer incarnation of Pac-Man is more recognizable to the public at large than nearly every other character already in Smash Bros, including Snake, and possibly even Mega Man.
You know; I'd never even heard of Megaman until the internet came along. I'm sure I wasn't alone in this. But everyone knows Pac-Man, so I'd say that statement is pretty much spot on. Pac is potentially the most worldly reknown video game character of all time. Even non gamers and people who have never touched a video game have likely heard of Pac-Man.

The two Pac-Man(Pac-men?) are one and the same. As long as they're a yellow ball they're pretty recognisable; regardless of limbs.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
You know; I'd never even heard of Megaman until the internet came along. I'm sure I wasn't alone in this. But everyone knows Pac-Man, so I'd say that statement is pretty much spot on. Pac is potentially the most worldly reknown video game character of all time. Even non gamers and people who have never touched a video game have likely heard of Pac-Man.

The two Pac-Man(Pac-men?) are one and the same. As long as they're a yellow ball they're pretty recognisable; regardless of limbs.
I also did not know who Mega Man was until the internet. I thought I was alone there.

RODO

Smash Ace

I think that honor is more likely to go to Mario now, but who knows.

RODO

Smash Ace
According to one survey (which I could link you to if you'd like) said that Pac-Man was 1% more recognizable than even Mario.
That's pretty cool, I'll take your word on it.

Edit: HOWEVER, while a poll gives you a general idea, it can never actually account for everyone in the world.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
That's pretty cool, I'll take your word on it.

Edit: HOWEVER, while a poll gives you a general idea, it can never actually account for everyone in the world.
Of course. However, this was done by a respected surveying team. (It was to see how marketable characters or celebrities were, iirc.) Pac-Man topped the list, Mario was second. Having a margin of error, though, I think they're basically equal, with Pac-Man slightly below Mario.

RODO

Smash Ace
Of course. However, this was done by a respected surveying team. (It was to see how marketable characters or celebrities were, iirc.) Pac-Man topped the list, Mario was second. Having a margin of error, though, I think they're basically equal, with Pac-Man slightly below Mario.
I won't lie, I am completely against Pac-Man being in the game, but I will really only complain about it among my friends and not bring it here. Didn't realize he was so popular, hope you guys get him in the game.

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I won't lie, I am completely against Pac-Man being in the game, but I will really only complain about it among my friends and not bring it here. Didn't realize he was so popular, hope you guys get him in the game.
He's popular, but Namco has been ridiculously terrible with the handling of him. No one cares about modern Pac-Man anymore, unfortunately.
The conclusion was reached by the Guinness Book of World Records.
Thank you for that source. I had forgotten who did it.

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939
I don't think Pac-Man is all that popular in terms of how much he's liked and in favor of, at least at SWF. There aren't too many supporters in this thread. He's definitely popular in terms of how recognizable he is, though. I do think that Pac-Man support is stronger than most assume it to be, but I don't think most of his supporters are the type to frequent message boards. I'd estimate that his amount of supporters is similar to that of Dixie Kong, or perhaps Roy (in the West).

Top Bottom