• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Oxnard Brawl/Melee Tournament: Saturday, August 16th

mio

Smash Ace
Cross-posted from AiB Tournament: http://www.allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=1116

Due to the lack of interest in Crews, I decided to reorganize and reschedule my tournament. The 3 on 3 Crew Battle on June 17th is now officially cancelled. Instead I'm going to be holding a standard Singles and Doubles tournament. Here are the rules:

SBR Recommended Ruleset
Oxnard Brawl Tournament adaptation
Super Smash Brothers: Brawl (singles and doubles)

The following list was created by members of the Smash Back Room (SBR). Each rule was debated and voted upon in separate topics.

General rules:
• 3 Stock
• 8 minute timer
• Items are set to "off" and "none"
• All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches
• In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors
• No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
• In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.
• If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
• Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.
• If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
• You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.
• Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
• Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Set format (In Order of Procedure):
1. Opponents choose their characters for the first match *
2. Opponents start the stage striking procedure
3. Each player may announce one stage to be banned for counterpicks of the set
4. The first game is played, using the stage chosen during step 2
5. The loser of the previous match announces the next match's stage from either the Neutral stages or the Counterpick stages
6. The winner of the previous match chooses their character
7. The loser of the previous match chooses their character
8. Repeat steps 5-7 for all proceeding matches
*Double blind character selection may be called for the first match

Neutral Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Smashville
Yoshi's Island

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium 1
Delfino Square
BattleShip Halberd
Corneria
Lylat Cruise
Rainbow Cruise
Brinstar
Frigate Orpheon
Luigi's Mansion
Castle Seige
Jungle Japes

Banned Stages
Green Hill Zone
Distant Planet
Norfair
Pictochat
Pirate Ship
Pokémon Stadium 2
Yoshi's Island (Pipes)
Green Greens
Mario Circuit
Onett
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld
75m
Big Blue
Bridge of Eldin
Flat Zone 2
Hanenbow
Hyrule Temple
Mario Bros.
Mushroomy Kingdom I
Mushroomy Kingdom II
New Pork City
Rumble Falls
Shadow Moses
Spear Pillar
The Summit
Wario Ware

Additional Rules for Double's Play
• Life Stealing is allowed
• Team attack is set to ON

Other Rules
• Port slob picks: On a player's counterpick, that player may opt to redo the port selection process with that player or team picking their port first.
• Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule.
• Color Blind rule: Should a player have a color-based disability, he or she may request in a teams match to have a specific color for their team. This is so characters such as Lucario or Sonic can be granted the blue team so that there is not unnecessary confusion.
• Wiimotes and Classic Controller users should know to take the batteries out of their controllers after finishing a set; not only will this save battery life, but it prevents accidental intereference and delay for tournament matches.
• Pirated copies of Brawl or modded Wii consoles will not be used for tournament matches.
• The Mages DQ rule: After a match has been called, if a player is two minutes late he will receive a warning. At 4 minutes late, he will be given a loss for the first game of the set. After six minutes, he will be given a loss of the entire set.

Registration
Singles - $5
Doubles - $10

Prizes - Singles and Doubles
1st: 70% of pot
2nd: 20%
3rd: 10%

If 32 or more
1st: 60%
2nd: 25%
3rd: 10%
4th: 5%

Tournament will be located at "Café on A / Rudy Acuña Art Gallery"
438 S. A Street
Oxnard, CA 93030
(805) 487-8170 <----The Gallery's # that we will be using on tournament day
Google Map
It's right behind the movie theater, there's parking in the back
Sign-ups and casuals start at 10:00 am
Doubles starts at 12:00 pm
Singles starts at 4:00 pm
Estimated to end around 11:00pm

Places nearby:
Plaza Stadium Cinemas 14
Capriccio's
Subway
Cold Stone Creamery
Starbucks Coffee
Thai Peru
Café Escobar
5th Street Steak & Seafood

You're all very welcome to bring as many consoles, games TVs, and food you want. I won't have any additional equipment for casuals during the tournament, so you guys are on your own with that. Whatever you decide to do, please be respectful of the art gallery. Throwing away your trash will be much appreciated. For those curious, we will not be serving tea or coffee as this place is now primarily an art gallery. We will probably be selling water, sodas, candy, etc.

Click here about getting free registration or free drinks/chips/candy

S2

Smash Lord
Dunno if I can make it, but I'll try and convince some of the SB players to go. One in particular, is a Wario player, who I'm sure would get a kick out of playing Plan 9's Wario.

FenrirIII

Smash Cadet
Any idea what the date'll be? I notice is was originally for June 17, but the thread title says "July Tentative", and I just want clarification.

mio

Smash Ace
I'm looking for a consultant for seeding... obviously someone who knows the 805 players and will make unbiased judgements. I've been to a few tournaments but I am definitely not up to date on players' skill levels.

mio

Smash Ace
Hey everyone, I just want to remind you all that the Oxnard Brawl Tournament is just 4 weeks away! I understand that Oxnard is far for some of you, but I'm sure that this event is going to be worth travelling for. We currently have 91 people signed up to attend, including heavy hitters like Edge, Plan 9, Ajax, Lovage, BoA, ShadowRob, BarDulL, and so on. If you're looking for some good competition, this tournament is the place to be. We are still looking for more Wiis and TVs. Remember, if you form a station (Wii + TV) I will give you free registration! See the tournament page for more details. Hope to see you all there!

-Mio (OBT Organizer)
Tournament page: http://allisbrawl.com/ttournament.aspx?id=1116

markeezy

Smash Cadet
there's gonna be 91 players? i'm interested in the doubles w a friend of mine and I live 40 min away from the Oxnard area. i'm 90 percent sure i'm going

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Finally this is here. Ive been signed up for the last two months. :)

mio

Smash Ace
OUCH. So my event got bumped because of some big money-making theather show. This has been moved back a week, but I guarantee this is the final delay. August 16th is THE official date for this tournament. It will happen!

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
LOL@Aznforce...

What happened Mio. Was the tourney not supposed to be this month on the 26th? But your post said one week later but now its the 16th of next month? Im confused. :/

mio

Smash Ace
LOL@Aznforce...

What happened Mio. Was the tourney not supposed to be this month on the 26th? But your post said one week later but now its the 16th of next month? Im confused. :/
A lot of things happened, but the date on the thread is correct. It is now on the 16th because a lot of people are planning to go to Brawl in Oakland on Aug 2nd. I originally had to change the July 26th date because my event literally got bumped off by another event (kinda lame), and the 16th seemed to be the only available date that worked for the most amount of people. This will be the final date change though.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Alright awesome. I will definitely make it to this then. Just wanted to make sure what the date is so i can have a heads up. Ill be attending along with 2 others.

mio

Smash Ace
I have a question for everyone entering the Brawl tournament: Would it be terrible if I raised singles to $10 and doubles to $20? I won't keep a penny.

My reason for doing this is because I want to make sure that the top 3 in each tournament get their money's worth. I didn't originally intend for this tournament to get this big, but with a lot of Brawlers, Melee, Silent Wolf, Mango, and other awesomeness, it's looking like this might get pretty competitive. I just don't want someone to spend a bunch of money to come out all the way from Compton, Glendale, Coachella valley (or wherever) for the weekend and then end up getting like $30 for second place.

Race

Smash Lord
keep it the way it is. With this much people going 2nd place will get WAY more then $30. And I'm speaking from a guy who knows that I wont reach top 10. I'm driving from cerritos and am spending 2 days there just for this tourney. Keep the price plz.

mio

Smash Ace
I have adjusted my some things according to popular demand, and I think the changes are reasonable.

1) Infinites that negate the game's balance and cannot be broken from are banned.
2) Jungle Japes is now a counterpick.
3) There's no way of telling how many people will really be here. To be more safe, I will estimate it to end around 11:00pm. I will try my best to be fast and efficient but I can't make any guarantees of the start or ending time of anything.

I have a question though. How does everyone feel about Pirate Ship and Pictochat?

The Game II

Smash Champion
Based on the potential size of this tournament, I don't think this is the place to test out ship and pictochat. Let's try that out at a smaller event and then go from there.

--GCII

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I'm not sure which statements Glenn is referring to but Jungle Japes isn't a test, it's been allowed at pretty much every Socal tournament. Makes sense if he's talking about Pirate and Picto though. Thanks for the change on Japes :) I'm fine with Pirate and Picto personally.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
1) Infinites that negate the game's balance and cannot be broken from are banned.
What about the chain grab in doubles? Where the grab release leads to another grab from the partner? This is escapable at low percents, so should this be allowed at low percents only, or should it completely banned?

Also nice adding the Japes :)

mio

Smash Ace
DDD's infinites, IC's infinites, Yoshi character specific infinites, Marth character specific infinites, dtilt against walls, CG against walls... basically if you know how to do one, you should have a good idea that it is an infinite and is not permitted. I'll gather a list but I think most of them should be known already. Regarding the doubles chain grab, only do it when it is escapable. Once it is eternally inescapbale and therefore an infinite, it's banned.

Chain grabs are still allowed because they are considered to be part of the character's moves/attributes. Infinites however, are unintended, inescapable loops in the game that give free kills to certain characters or match ups rather than large advantages that require skill to counter. I know that most chain grabs probably weren't intended either, but they are not so significant that they can single-handedly determine the match.

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
Pretty much everything the ICs can do is escapable until high percentages, though. Most people just don't button mash enough or tech Nana's fair.

Lovage 805

Smash Champion
if you really want to ban infinites just call a ban on marth's release infinite on ness and lucas, also on ddd's standing infinite on dk samus luigi

NeighborhoodP

Smash Hero
lol @ a double team grab infinite being banned. i don't play brawl but isn't that akin to banning the jab infinite in 2v1s in melee?

ConnorTheKid

Treat Yo' Self
Premium
pretty much P.

I don't think wall infinites should be banned since it can only happen at like Delfino and it's completely avoidable. If you get caught in it, I think it's your fault for going near the wall >_>

Race

Smash Lord
I totaly agree with Loveage and COnnor Team and wall infites should NOT be banned,they are both situational infintes that arent banned from regular tourney play anyways. People are going to complain if this ruleset is put in. I'm just saying. . .

Top Bottom