• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Overcoming the challange #5: toonlink's projectiles

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
OVERCOMING THE CHALLANGE!

~This thread will discuss specific moves, tactics, and anything else that comes across luigi as a challange. Come up with ideas on how to deal with the challange being discuss.

#1:Snakes granades: Don't be intimidated by his granades! Put you fireballs to use wisely! They can destroy nades, and prove to be very effective against them. Z catching the nades and using them against him is also useful as well. As snake camps with them hopping over them and/or crouching can inch you closer to him. Pay attention as to how long he cooks granades and act accordingly based on that. Try mixing up your tactics and approach towards snakes granades so that you can keep him off guard.

#2:Meta knight tornado: The bottom of mk's tornado is a weak point. Fireball mk towards the bottom of the nado and it will clank or hit him out of it. Nair outprioritizes the top & bottom of the nado so a rising or fast fall nair can be useful as well. D-smash will clank with the bottom of the tornado. Luigi's Up-smash can also hit mk out of nado from the bottom, proving to be pretty effective. T-tilting your shield up does go for it as well. Unfortunately there not really much you can do to stop the power of the nado, so use this info to the best of your ability.

#3Using luigi's recovery effectively: Make effective use of switching up your recovery. Try not to be predictable or you'll find yourself getting gimped. Learn to use a jumpless cyclone, for it'll keep your double jump in tact. Small missiles>cyclone>double jump is one good option. If you plan on usina fully charged missile, aim straight for the ledge! Missiles, double jumps, and cyclone are luigi's methods for recovery. The point is to be unpredictable for a safe recovery.

#4:Marth's F-air: Just pick another character...... It is unrealistic to belive that you would even when against a good marth.....

#6toonlink's projectiles: Under discussion

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
who are you and who said you can make this ? lol just kiddingg, just so you know our board is dead so dont expect useful input from us that well

never fear the nades, if you fear the nades and try to avoid it for 8 mins , you'll miss very good openings to get snake

just walk/run past it, alot of snakes leave themselves at the edge just trying to camp

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Thanks 4 the heads up. I try z catching his nades and throwing em back along with a fireball. Or if the snake throws 2, I'll dodge the first 1 and hurricane towards the 2nd nade and clank with it, leaving little space for the snake to move, I do this like once n a while or whenever we are on complete opposites of a long stage (ex: FD, smashville)

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
A few things.
1: don't down b or n-air if you see a nade out, you'll get hurt...a lot, Unless both players are at low percents where you can n-air him or up tilt again
2. Fireball a lot. They explode the nades, sometimes to hit snake.
3. Check how well your opponent cooks his nades. If he barely cooks them, throw them back. If he heavily "cooks" them, air dodge or fireball.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
A safe approach is to Short hop>D-tilt>Nair.

This way shield dropped granades become less of a problem because the granades will drop behind him, and the shield pushback will add pressure 2 snake at the same time.

Llumys

Smash Champion
So, you're trying this on another board?

Once again, I suggest spelling properly. I don't care if you don't believe me, but it affects the quality of your content.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
Just watch how long he cooks them and you should be fine. For stripped nades I am assuming you are talking about the nades the he makes he you drop when snake drops the second one. For this just keep in your head how many nades are out, do not grab the first nade he throws for two reasons.
1. If the snake is going to cook a nade he is generally going to cook the first one
2. If you pick up the first nade he can make you drop it with the second nade

If you pick up the second nade he cannot make you drop it, all you have to look for is if he cooked it or not.

CR4SH

Smash Lord
I've done lots of snake matchup (obviously anyone who goes to tournaments has) and I've come to the conclusion that luigi's best chance in this matchup is to actively seek out grenade damage trades.

BigLøu

Smash Lord
Uhh the only thing I know to do against nado is either run away and puish the "lag", or you can upsmash the nado from the bottom or sourspot nair from the top( I think sweetspot works too)

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
For getting around the nado you have to make sure you angle your shield or it will probably poke through. I have not tested with luigi so I do not know what moves can beat the tornado. however one thing to know about the nado is that on the while it is on the ground the priority is very low, only when it is in the air that the priority becomes a real pain to deal with.

I have also heard that for di'ing out of the nado you just mach buttons, after hearing this I tried it and it has worked for me. Maybe nintendo thought that for that move people would just mash buttons to get out, so they put that in there. I have also gotten out with up SDI/TDI as well.

If the metaknight is spamming the nado, move towards the ledge, they will be less eager to do the nado near the edge.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I'm not too sure about this but I think that part of the hitbox on Luigi's U-smash may beat out MK's tornado.
Otherwise, I don't think that Luigi has anything to beat out MK's tornado. :(

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Fireball vs the bottom section of the tornado knocks MK out of it, he is forced to forward b the other way

Also, N-air out prioritizes the very top and bottom of it. so does down smash.

yoshq

Smash Master
nair hits it if you sweetspot right when he's just out of range to hit you, I also think the backwards upsmash is your best option here, although the fireball works as well - very badly though.

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
As DK i have been able to pivot grab him out of it, not sure if luigi can. but it is still very hard to do, I have only done it once, and it was on accident. I was going for a pivot grab then he started the nado and grabbed him out of it. We were both lke o_O

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
As DK i have been able to pivot grab him out of it, not sure if luigi can. but it is still very hard to do, I have only done it once, and it was on accident. I was going for a pivot grab then he started the nado and grabbed him out of it. We were both lke o_O
but this is a weegee discussion..wut

And yea, as said, the fireball really only works at the beginning of the nado. N-air or down/up smash are your best bet if you know its coming

Chaosgriffin

Smash Ace
but this is a weegee discussion..wut

And yea, as said, the fireball really only works at the beginning of the nado. N-air or down/up smash are your best bet if you know its coming
I know its for weegee I was just giving a suggestion. To let other people know that you can also pivot grab him out of it, sorry if i did not make that clear.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Fast fall b-air into the top of the nado can either cancel it out or give you the hit.

Tilting your shield up is effective, predict where the nado will end and punish accordingly.

I actually Up-b mk out of his bado while I was in it o__o

NNID
Budget_Player
Nado absolutely wrecks luigi. It's irritating. I'd say run and wait for the endlag to punish. >.> Or, better yet, counterpick one of the more stupid matchups in Brawl. Go grab Snake or Wario. Or Metaknight. Tornado is ****ing ********.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
Nado is one of the three reasons the matchup is horrible lol

Unless the MK doesn't space it decently, he will never get punished for using it lol
Bair clanks it if you sweetspot, which is kind of easy, that's what I usually do.

Btw, the hitbox looks stupid and professor mgw is the best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldJyDJP8mbQ&feature=related ->2:05
Wtf that's just... corney! Any1 gotta short overview for this?: nado

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
I was reading up about countering the tornado on the Snake boards, and apparently crouching makes it harder for MK to auto-cancel his tornado if he tries to hit you. Anybody else think that this can be applied to Luigi even though his crouch isn't as low as Snake's?

TreK

Is "that guy"
have boss's hands.

Those 22 B buttons per second are a true legend here ._.

TreK

Is "that guy"
you can still train it. I am left handed so I have a kind of legit john, but I've been training for months and now I can rise with the jumpless downB like half or 3/4 of the normal height.
So no johns, everything is trainable.

-> Have Boss's hands.

LuigiKing

Smash Lord
I think people fall into the trap of just jump + cyclone right away too often. Don't underestimate the 'zap jump' luigi has on his missile, its actually pretty useful sometimes. If you learn to jumpless rising cyclone you will never get gimped... ever.

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
Well if I blasted far away the first thing I do is small green missiles (one giant one can leave you vunerable when you hit the stage, and you got the posssibility of a misfire if you do small misfires more often) Then I jump and use cyclones and bust out a bunch of aerials to defend myself. Mostly I go for the ledge though. For green missile, aim for the edge if you do a giant one.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
How do iyou stay unpredictable with his recovery?

I don't have time to practice a rising cyclone, have things 2 do during the day (a.k.a. A life)

Top Bottom