• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Ontario Canada HD Remix

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
last night was fun. lets do it again, yah?
also mike, you should post the deets on that halloween tourney thinger so i dont forget.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Anybody got the results to post? I know Brawl was Bryant > Riley > Me, and Melee was Charles > Phil > Randy.

Also, I'll keep looking around for somebody to record the replays I managed to save.

PND

Smash Champion
Don't worry, results will come soon. We were all really busy today, but updates and stuff are coming.

Also PR update (revival) on the way

And Mal:

I'm working on a tourney thread for it, I'll link it here when it's done (probably tomorrow morning)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
All those matches have got me riled up. Anyone want to get some games in today?

EDIT: Yes, I'm willing to play hacked shenanigans, but I'd prefer a heavier emphasis on regular brawl.

EDIT2: Yes, I meant in person. Anyways, something's come up so I gotta go on an errand, but I'll be free around 5ish, in case anyone wants some games in. I don't have any plans in the morning so idc how late I stay out.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
All those matches have got me riled up. Anyone want to get some games in today?

EDIT: Yes, I'm willing to play hacked shenanigans, but I'd prefer a heavier emphasis on regular brawl.
in person or wifi?
edit-actually i probably wont be able to do either, busy, sry.

PND

Smash Champion
This Friday? As in, tomorrow / technically today? I'd be down for having a few people over and just chilling / playing smash / other games. Hit me up if you're interested.

Cell: 863 I8O7*
Text it!

I haven't run it past my roomies yet, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind
________
*i's and o's are 1's and 0's

PND

Smash Champion
I do.

I (and also Riley) am down for being either adventurous and impulsive and possibly going to a bar / some establishment and getting bollocksed and doing fun public things.

OR

I (and also Riley) am down for geeking out indoors and just chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool.

If either of those plans sound appealing, please contact me posthaste.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
hey man, sorry i didnt check back here in time. hope i didn't leave anyone hanging.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Since no one's posting, I'll just write about my recent experience through The Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess. If you're bored enough to read through it, might as well give your take on TP, at least of what you remember. It's not as if there's any pressing discussion going on atm anyways =P

---

Well, I just beat TP again, this time not blazing through but enjoying as much of it as I could. All in all, it was a pretty decent game, though I did make some strange observations. I mean, for some reason, I never noticed that the game was really, really weird sometimes.

During the undead boss fight, I stopped to realize that I was riding a top that for some reason was able to cling to indentations in the wall and zip against the flow of gravity in order to bounce off and hit a floating (dragon? but then why are the teeth not pointy?) skull, after which I start attacking a sword lodge in it's head to defeat it. Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but I found it really ****ing weird. The dragon boss of the Sky Temple (probably my favourite temple) wasn't too bad, except that you fight it on the highest point of the temple in a lightning storm. Not just during, but in the actual storm. Ok, maybe Link stores all of his items in some pocket dimension that only he can access, but he's still wearing his Sword/Shield/Chainmail and you have to put on the iron boots, which are shown to conduct electricity earlier in the game, in order to beat the dragon. Also, in order to finish off the dragon, you had to jump on his back while he was in the air and stab an orb on his back. As he was dying and floating slowly towards the platoform I kept asking myself, "Where the **** did Link go?" and when the dragon finally lands, BAM! There's Link waiting for him. Anyways, there's a lot more random weird ****, but those two struck me the most.

Also, silver keys; The most detestable item in the game. In every dungeon(sometimes more than once) there is always a part where you must choose a fork in a path: one leads to a key, the other two a locked door. Most of the time, the path to the key isn't obstructed at all, which makes me wonder why it was there in the first place. It got incredibly annoying to go down a path filled with monsters only to find a locked door and knowing I had to go back to the fork to get a key that would be used up immediately. It's not as if you come across the key somewhere else in the dungeon or have to really work for it. What the hell's the point of having a god**** key right in front of the door it's supposed to lock? I really don't understand this decision from a design point of view. Wouldn't it just be better to have only one path with an unlocked door? Or is it so it excites a players sense of discovery, as my brother suggested? I think it's to try and mask the fact that the dungeons are all uniformly and terrifically linear, except for the Sky temple and Hyrule Castle, which did allow for some exploration.

It was a good game, but I don't think I'll be playing through it again. It was epic in a few parts like learning new skills from an undead ancestor, the spaghetti western hidden village and fighting the armoured knight, but the game tries too hard to be epic and it gets to the point where it just wasn't most of the time. Like how every boss and mini boss roars at Link. All of them. It became so predictable and pathetic that I stopped caring after the god**** frog roared at me. And the horseback fight across the bridge wasn't that exciting. I guess it felt too scripted for me to really get into it. The music was often lackluster as well as being notable for having the worst instrument in all of Zelda history: the howl. All in all, I give it a

Pretty Fun/10

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
i've been playing so much minecraft lately. everyone should check out some utube vids to see if it would interest you, its so addictingly fun

buenob

Smash Lord
hello from DC!

haven't run into anyone familiar yet but the resort we're staying at is crazy awesome... you should check us out on facebook now and remember to sign up for our launch email "GamingOttawa" on facebook and "www.gamingottawa.ca"... we already have photos up and FB and will be adding more each day

we are talking to sponsors and stuff today, as well as I have the first match of the straight double elim bracket.. wish me luck!

buenob

Smash Lord
sweet! you should check out our facebook page, we have tried to keep ontop of uploading our photo's from the day

so far a lot of people have been staring at the shirts, and we've talked with a lot of pro gamers and also a lot of sponsors (like the sony guy who was demoing the killzone 3 pre-alpha on the 3d tvs... ps the game looks amazing, and is pretty easy to play)... this is really exciting, the place is a rediculous resort, it's awesome

my match with bmx was good... honestly, he had a coach and I didn't... that's how close it as, and that's how important it is to have someone to talk you down from a bad spot... I was making a wicked comeback on the last stock, but his coach gave him very good advice in the form of yelling "relax guy you got this"....

anyways, he was wario and it I took him to BF first match... at first he thought I was a scrub so it was easy but then he switched his mentality and the match really started... i lost to an ftilt at 180 percent (he was at ~140) and then the same thing happened to me the next match... I took him to yoshi's (bad for wario) and immediately he said "i shoulda banned this one..."

anyways, i am disappointed, but overall it's pretty sweet... got photos of ally, ninjalink, chibo, etc :) fun times!

ps. pro starcraft is epic... just... so win

PND

Smash Champion
Awesome to hear Ben! So glad you're having a good time.

So I'm off for my laser eye surgery. Once I'm recovered enough to post on the interwebs I'll let you guys know how it went.

PND

Smash Champion
Hey guys, I now have 20/15 glasses-free vision. Surgery was awesome, if any of you guys were on the fence about getting it I definitely recommend it. It was quick and painless, and although the after-care is crazy the benefits of (better than) perfect vision without the hassle of glasses is SOOO worth it.

MALCORE

Smash Cadet
congrats. do tell us about what's been fun to look at plz (boob pics appreciated)

PND

Smash Champion
It's crazy, right after I got my surgery I almost walked into oncoming traffic. I was so distracted by how clear and crazy everything looked. Even now I'm noticing details in like, well, everything. Things I've never seen before -- the way light contours and refracts around certain textures and surfaces, colours are more vibrant and pronounced than they ever were. It's like I just walked into an HD world. Everything is art.

And I haven't seen boobs since my surgery -- but I scored the night before my surgery, so I don't know if that counts.

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
Nice Mike. Ive seriously been thinking about getting it done soon. Im gonna get it done its just a matter of when. Which version did you get done? From what I remember there is lasik and prk. Im definately going for prk even if its more expensive.

Good stuff Ben! Sounds like you had a blast.

Tin Man

Smash Hero
@ Ben: How'd you do at MLG (who u win to, who u lose to, what was the set scores, who did they use, who did you use, anything else i'm missing (MLG bracket related lol)).

@ Ottawa: You guys reaching Toronto on the 30th for Monster (S)Mash?

PND

Smash Champion
Nice Mike. Ive seriously been thinking about getting it done soon. Im gonna get it done its just a matter of when. Which version did you get done? From what I remember there is lasik and prk. Im definately going for prk even if its more expensive.

Good stuff Ben! Sounds like you had a blast.
The PRK is usually reserved for those with thinner corneas than usual -- it doesn't create a corneal flap during surgery, but instead shaves off an entire layer of the cornea. It has a longer than average healing time, so if your corneas are thick enough to go with the Lasik I think it's generally more recommended. Plus Lasik has the new Advance Custom Wavefront procedure, which is what I elected to get. It has less of a recovery period and I get superior night vision compared to the other options. Plus free lifetime touchups, which is a huge plus because everyone I talked to who has undergone lasik has needed a touchup at some point along the line.

@Ben- I hope you scored some winnings off some scrubs =)

@Mike- How much is it?
It cost me $3,980.00. Prices vary depending on a huge host of factors though, so it'd be hard to say how much it would cost without actually going through the consultation exam.

@ Ben: How'd you do at MLG (who u win to, who u lose to, what was the set scores, who did they use, who did you use, anything else i'm missing (MLG bracket related lol)).

@ Ottawa: You guys reaching Toronto on the 30th for Monster (S)Mash?
If we're going, it's via Knuckles and his car. I'm waiting to see if I have the time off work before I can confirm if I'm going or not

Matt07

Smash Master
Nice, Mike! The way you described having good vision, and the way you see things, makes me want to get the surgery as well.

However the price scares me away, hahaha.

Top Bottom