• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Looks like normal smashfest is gonna happen. Someone should bring Munchkin or some kind of random game(Cok Blokus?). I would bring something but I don't have any random board games other than Monopoly.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Why, how many people are signed up so far? And what will happen if there isn't enough? Smashfest this week?

If we do have too little people, I am in need of a partner, as Mel cannot attend this week. Anyone else need one?

Jazriel

Smash Ace
I won't be showing up tomorrow, judging the Canadian Nationals for Yu-Gi-Oh! and whatnot (shameless 'I feel special' moment :p).

You guys should all just play melee tomorrow, er, today.

And welcome Stefanie, newcomers are always welcome. We're a very friendly bunch of people who all enjoy playing smash. Regardless of how good you are at the game I'm sure you'll have fun. Though if I'm not there it'll never be as much fun, haha.

Everything's better with Mason. :p

stefanie

Smash Rookie
"Hold on, don't label officially label stefanie as a sock puppet just yet you guys"

wait so you were talking about me?? haha sockpuppet

i can make it today but i need directions. can someone send me them?

thanks!

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
You have to PM Cameron (Fogel) for directions. You may have to wait till around 5 however since he doesnt usually check the boards at work(I think). Where about do you live? The get together is in the Nepean area.

buenob

Smash Lord
you should probably not make cam spend the time to PM you if you are someone's alternate account... sorry if you're not (but I do think you are lol) but we have a lot of history with people making alternate accounts

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
wait so you were talking about me?? haha sockpuppet

i can make it today but i need directions. can someone send me them?

thanks!
Well, PM Fogel. We do love new people since some people have left our community(Mikes, Suo) and we love having a variety of people to play with. Try to come out. Make sure to PM Fogel. I still suspect you to be a sock puppet, but if not, please do make it out.

EDIT: In case you don't know how to PM, just click on Fogel's username and the option will appear in a drop down menu.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Results:

Singles:

1. Arsenic (stopped sandbagging and used real characters)
2. Knuckles (MK/Zelda)
3. Stefanie (Zelda)
4. Retlaf (G&W/Yoshi)
5. CvO (Luigi)
5. Jiggernaut (Jiggs/Sheik)
7. Fogel (Snake)
7. Linkshot (Lucario)
9. HiDef (Kirby)
9. rc-80 (MK)

Doubles didn't happen since there were only like 3 teams.

buenob

Smash Lord
at the risk of being completely taken advantage of here, Stefanie is a real player? and came in 3rd? awesome

congrats randy for stopping sandbagging!

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Shoutouts!

Randy - I wanted to play you more because we are like rivals and I don't want you to think you've passed me yet... :)

Knuckles - Great games. Those friendlies were really fun, I enjoy playing you!

Stefanie - Nice meeting you! You were really fun! And really good.. totally caught me off guard, come out next time and I'll get my revenge ;) Also we need to team! PS Sorry about that incident upstairs, I wasn't really thinking, so let's just pretend it didn't happen okay? :3 Your taste is music is awesome btw, add me on msn soon and give me that torrent you were telling me about.

Ariel - Non-srz matches are ftw. I count on you to bring hype and lol to the ottawa scene!

Andrew - I just realized I never really played you much before. You're really good, if you ever want more matchup experience come bug me!

Cam - Your snake is great. If you want more GaW experience just ask.

Alan - I didn't know your TL was that good :D

HiDef - Didn't play you :( but I hear you are a beast at soccer! XD

rc-80 - We didn't get to play either :(

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Shoutouts!

Randy - Great games man, your Wario is a beast! And those Zelda-Falcon matches were epic. And nobody survives the Battle Royale Survival Program!

Stef - Your Zelda is awesome (really everyone its better than mine for sure) congrats on 3rd in your first bi-weekly!

Retlaf - Thanks for all the friendlies, great matches.

Cam - Your snake keeps getting better, thanks for the friendlies.

Andrew - lol at our stage striking, that was a fun set man!

Ariel - I think that was the first time I've ever played your DDD, very nice..

Alan - Your TL is real good. I'd like some matchup experience against him if youre up for it

Patrick - We didnt play much but we should, I <3 MK dittos.

Dave - We should go drinking. But you never read this.

P.S. Zelda in 2nd and 3rd? And they told us she was low tier.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Shoutouts:

Stefanie: wtf you were real? well this is just great, the smashfest needs a cute female smash player :p. Your Zleda was awesome, if you had more experience, you will be destroying us in no time.

oh yeah, if you wash that dress, the stain is bound to come out.

Bryant: Your Mk is getting good, you need to work on not glide failing and killing yourself. Keep it up.

Remilia Scarlet: Man you are bad at this game :p. Your GaW is getting less predictable, but it is still needs some work before it can out best me.

CvO: Your celestial judgement was no match for my cracker launcher :p.

Andrew (Jiggernaut): Your jiggz has gotten better, but I found myself punishing the pound way too much, maybe something to keep in mind?

Cam: Your snake is a formidable, the gernade counters were really annoying to get by. I found that you were missing some basic stuff (like edge hogging) so maybe if you worked on that. The basics are just as important.

Linkshot: Sorry about those matches, I couldn't sand bag this time. your lucario is great, just need to work on some spacing for your forward smash.

HiDef: Man you got gimped in the brackets, we should play more often.

Patrick: your MK is solid, but not quite there. Spacing man, you need to space your stuff, MK is a shield poking beast.

P.S. I use WAAAY too many emoticons

Fogel

Smash Lord
I was hoping to get more done this weekend, but I've been having to help these guys off and on at work since 8am - even now I'm still doing stuff for them :( While I'm waiting for stuff to deploy, it's time for shoutouts and responses to others' shoutouts!

Kai - You're pretty good at Brawl given that you don't really like it or play it much anymore. Good matches in Melee, my Jiggs will get your Marth sometime :(

Chris - Fun dittos as always; your Falcon is getting too good!

Randy - You can't defeat me+Andrew at soccer, just give it up. That was only my first time playing, too, it's only going to get worse once I get even more experience :) I've got a question about your shoutout below.

Stef - Good job with mindgaming everyone in and out of game, hope to see you again!

Retlaf - Good stuff in soccer and normal Brawl, I've got a bit more to say below.

Bryant - Tight matches in both crew battles; we need to play more. I've also got more to say below.

Jiggernaut - Always close matches with you, good games. Good job in crews!

Ariel - We'll win crews next time. The Luigi vs. Snake friendlies were really good, I definitely learned a few things. Hopefully you picked up what you were looking for from those games as well, I remember you saying earlier you wanted a bunch of matches.

Patrick - Fun matches in Brawl+, don't mind me going back to real Brawl so soon, but I wanted to work on some things there.

Alan - I don't think we played :/

Dave - I don't think we played either :/

Cam - Your snake is great. If you want more GaW experience just ask.
Thank you! Yes, I definitely do need more G&W practice and will take you up on your offer next time :)

Cam - Your snake keeps getting better, thanks for the friendlies.
If by friendlies you mean crew battles, then sure :)

Also, to add a bit to Randy's advice, you may want to pay attention to DI; you had a few west coast moments that I noticed. Maybe my observation is a bit off, but I noticed that when you're hit by a move that you're pretty sure will KO you, you stop paying attention for a second or two and make an "Oh crap" gesture of some kind IRL.

Instead of this, as soon as you're hit, focus on Infzy DIing and trying to survive. There are many times where I was sure I would die, but just concentrated on DI, and survived somehow. Aside from surviving, it can be demoralizing for your opponent to see you keep coming back over and over when they're sure they've KOed you, which can give you a slight mental edge. You can tell you're doing this right when you start hearing people say "Why won't you die?!?!" more often :)

Shoutouts:

Cam: Your snake is a formidable, the gernade counters were really annoying to get by. I found that you were missing some basic stuff (like edge hogging) so maybe if you worked on that. The basics are just as important.
Could you clarify on this? It's pretty risky for Snake to jump off the stage after people since he kind of sucks in the air. Yes, his aerials are powerful, but they're slow and if you get predicted you get owned. I prefer to leave nades and mines on the stage for when people get back. Do you think I should still go off-stage more?

Also, what other basics am I missing? I'm not being sarcastic here; if I'm missing something, I'd like to know.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Shoutouts:

Stefanie-Ouch! Too many sweetspots. Oh well. I'll get you next time for sure. Also, sorry for calling you a sock puppet.

Randy-Wario just beasted me O_O. Next time for sure.

Bryant-Thanks for the compliment! I just wish my DDD could have done better against you in singles, but it's all good.

Jiggernaut-Sorry for going on and on about pokemanz =P. Crews was fun, sorry for messing it up, but I'm still working on the luigi/falco match up.

Dave-Oh man, I kept getting stomped by your Charizard. I gotta work on my recovery. As always, sweet kirby!

Remi-I will bring as much random as I can, which isn't much considering that smash is pretty random to begin with.

Alan-Didn't get to play you except in soccer =S Good show in crews though.

Cam-Sorry for messing up in crews, but friendlies was good. I think that you just need to get more used to Snake's broken uptilt and ftilt and you'll be in business. Nice job with interrupting things with the grenades though! And yes, I did get what I wanted out of our matches. It really helped me to space and to help me impliment a few things into my game.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Could you clarify on this? It's pretty risky for Snake to jump off the stage after people since he kind of sucks in the air. Yes, his aerials are powerful, but they're slow and if you get predicted you get owned. I prefer to leave nades and mines on the stage for when people get back. Do you think I should still go off-stage more?

Also, what other basics am I missing? I'm not being sarcastic here; if I'm missing something, I'd like to know.
I noticed during the crew match that there were times that if you edge hoged (grabbing the ledge, not edge guarding) you would have gotten the stock, but you continued to gernade camp.

And by no means should snake go off the edge to edge guard, snakes should always just create a wall of explosives for their opponent while they are trying to get back up. But what I meant was that you didn't use alot, you only used gernades (at least I only noticed this much). Snake has alot more things at his disposal, like his upsmash to stop people from recovering high, or a falling C4 to stop people to recover low.

What I'm trying to say is that you can explore other options for creating an explosive wall other than gernades.

And for the basics, it was mostly reffering to the edge hogging.

Fogel

Smash Lord
I noticed during the crew match that there were times that if you edge hoged (grabbing the ledge, not edge guarding) you would have gotten the stock, but you continued to gernade camp.

And by no means should snake go off the edge to edge guard, snakes should always just create a wall of explosives for their opponent while they are trying to get back up. But what I meant was that you didn't use alot, you only used gernades (at least I only noticed this much). Snake has alot more things at his disposal, like his upsmash to stop people from recovering high, or a falling C4 to stop people to recover low.

What I'm trying to say is that you can explore other options for creating an explosive wall other than gernades.

And for the basics, it was mostly reffering to the edge hogging.
Thanks for the tips. I do try to set up C4 and a mine on the stage if I have time, but I find that usually I don't have enough time (they're at low %, they have a fast recovery to the edge, etc.). I didn't notice any edgehog chances; I'll have to pay more attention in the future.

buenob

Smash Lord
ally often jumps off the side and drops a c4 down below the ledge.... due to the gigantic hitbox on the explosion, it's really hard to get through it if you explode at the right time... also it often stagespikes... i think that's what randy was referring to, rather than having a c4 near the edge on the stage

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Thx for uploading Cam! I see that my spacing is terrible and that I spot dodge way too much. Also, GF1 with Luigi and ROB is actually Winner's 4, and GF2 seems to be missing. GF2 was on FD as I recall.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you just wait until next winner's/grand finals. I hope to be more challenging than I usually am, which is not that much. I am also considering picking up a new, secret secondary since I have gotten a little tired of DDD(Don't ruin it Tyler!).

PND

Smash Champion
Oh, you just wait until next winner's/grand finals. I hope to be more challenging than I usually am, which is not that much. I am also considering picking up a new, secret secondary since I have gotten a little tired of DDD(Don't ruin it Tyler!).
I am also considering picking up a new, secret secondary since I have gotten a little tired of DDD(Don't ruin it Tyler!).
since I have gotten a little tired of DDD(Don't ruin it Tyler!).
since I have gotten a little tired of DDD
YES!!! :)
10yes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIrC9Yhm0i0

stefanie

Smash Rookie
you guys are all awesome! im glad i can be a bit of challenge :):)

that was a really fun time on friday except for when I was touched inappropriately

ill come to the next one im sure!!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Since I'm going to Niagara on Friday, there is no smashfest/biweekly Friday night. There will also be nothing the Friday after that, because I have a physio appointment then. We could try to play Thursday nights if people want, but no biweeklies, because I'd want people out by 10:30.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Aww, so there's no smash on the 3rd?

Hey Jan, I posted on the Yomi boards and with luck I'll be able to get a current print of the 10 decks for a little over $100. If I can get them soon you'll feel the pain of Setsuki and Argagarg Garg (who is apparently overpowered for camping). :p

Oh and Randy, I pulled out the cash I owe you but since there's no smash this Friday I'll give it to you later.

jan

Smash Cadet
Mason, you're too hardcore, dude! I have almost all of them printed now, and I'm gonna keep printing them on paper until the final versions are released. Maybe you should just get one or two decks? You'll be screwed when the next version comes out and half your decks are obsolete.

buenob

Smash Lord
jan == ten foresights

i'm definitely waiting until the final version to adopt, but once it's out you'll bet i'll be playing

PND

Smash Champion
Hey guys, you should ALL come to this.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=222963
That's right. Ally AND M2K. In Canada. (How many times has this been promised?)

I can house you guys. And you can ask Ben or Cam about the quality PND's housing. Spoilers:
AYCE Pancakes, beaches, bedding, and beer

Srsly. It's looking to be a huge tourney, and Illiad's such a cool guy. He's also a phenomenal Marf, so this gives Ottawa a chance to "shine" with all of our Marf practice. Speaking of "shining": Did I mention that there will also be Melee?

So get yo'selves down here and help make this a success.

@Ben: I know you were thinking of planning OBScene in August, so if you can try and avoid and conflicts with this one I would greatly appreciate it.

GET HYPE

Top Bottom