• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
@Cam-Randy already agreed.

@PNDMike-If you destroy the whole mansion then it becomes a FD that cannot be crossed from underneath. That would imply that there is less planking than usual.

@Ben-Lingering hitboxes are present on Brinstar and are arguably more intrusive. Also, D3 has ftilt and DK has down B.

@Everyone else-You're not that vulnerable while attacking the second story pillar. If someone tries attacking you, they'll also attack the pillar and help in destroying it.

I'm not gonna lie. I think it's a perfectly ok stage. I just dislike it so I don't care if it's banned or not,

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone really meant that Randy SHOULD step down, I think it was more of saying he could if he wanted to. I personally, have no problem with Randy staying and organizing it, him stepping down and letting Ben organize things, or them both organizing together because as far as I'm concerned, that's between them.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Oh, it was because Randy is often busy and unable to update frequently. I don't mind him staying the TO, personally.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Here are doubles results from last biweekly (not sure about last 2 teams):

1: KingAce (buenob+Remi)
2: Moses Stikes again! (Moses+Arsenic)
3: NeverGonnaGiveYouUp (Fogel+SoLn)
4: Team Forward Smash (Cbone+SAUS)
5: Team Squid (HiDef+Knuckles?)
5: Team MetaKnight (IvanEva+rc80?)

infomon

Smash Scientist
this strategy is beatable, but the skill required to do it is minimal, compared to what's needed to beat it
This is what ppl used to say about MK's tornado in general.

You can go tornado n00bs all day and they won't be able to deal with it.
The skill required to do it is minimal, compared to what's needed to beat it.

Alternatively, I say: if ppl can consistently beat it at a high level then it's not ban-worthy.

If high-level play means everyone needs to know how to deal with the Mansion's glitchy properties so you don't get surprised by it.... so be it. Same goes for water-camping. And same goes for MK: if he's beatable when you know what you're doing, I don't care if it took you 40 hours to learn how to shield + attack between tornados.

But if high-level play means everyone has to pick MK to have a reasonable fight on this stage, then ban it. I just don't think anyone's proven this yet. vids pl0x?

I honestly don't know; I don't have much Mansion exp at all. I've never seen it break a fight. And I've learned not to trust the pros when it comes to game mechanics, lol.

Mind you, if Ottawa wants to spend some weeks concentrating on the basics of the game (and in particular, facing top-tiers on starter stages), then that's cool.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol, and there's the counter-argument, the one that I was part of so many times on the stage discussion boards lol... it's true, everything infzy said is exactly true... ideally, i think it would be best for us to focus more on 'catching up' right now, but also to keep our own style and have the larger map list... so switch so slightly stricter rules, but overall maintain our old "obscene" rules (no skyworld lolz)...

arsenic41

Smash Ace
Oh, it was because Randy is often busy and unable to update frequently. I don't mind him staying the TO, personally.
I would rather not right now, I am having a hard time finding places to stay let alone keep a smash thread updtaed. I wouldn't mind stepping down if it means keeping the scene clean and more orginized (and not angering harold over team Names :p).

EDIT: My god sonic is fun to play.

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Yes, Sonic is very fun to play. He's kind of annying to play against though cause he lives forever and doesn't do much. He slaps you kinda. He doesn't kill.

But yeah, he's awesome to play as.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
Norfair is a great level and the lava shenanigans help much more than hinder. Hitting an opponent towards the wall of lava and then readying an attack for when he comes flying back is great, intentional, and is 'using your environment as a weapon' in the best sense of the word. Until somebody can consistently 'break' the level (by super planking or circle camping) It should remain very much legal. Hell, it should be a starter if stage striking is in (but I doubt I'll convince you guys of that just yet...).

Infzy's post about Luigi's Mansion says it all. Not-broken until proven otherwise. However, it seems like it's an unpopular level for some of you. I'm not terribly fond of it as there as better choices for any advantage it may seem to bestow on people but I wouldn't want to see it go. Nobody picks it anyways so you might as well leave it alone, like a benign tumor.

Pirate Ship was banned here when Brawl first came out because, like a bunch of scrubs, we all wrote it off as being too unpredictable and hectic. After Only in Niagara, where Percon had the balls to try it out, we realized that it wasn't broken in any way so we adopted it into our stages list. After the novel strategy of water camping was quickly beaten (I haven't seen that work in ages and I doubt It'll ever work on the Ottawa guys again) and we learned not to ignore the bombs (and, in fact, to use them as a way to stage control) it happily became just 'one of the stages'. Because of all of the many different positional situations it enables, I feel that removing it would be a step back. Plus, it's one of the best noob stomping levels around (players new to the level never seem to notice you pushing them into where the bombs are about to hit).

Re: Ben as new Tournament Organizer:
I've noticed over the past few bi-weeklies that Ben usually has to take charge of things at some point or another. He's exceptional with the organizing part and really works to keep things running smoothly and efficiently. Sometimes bi-weeklies go a bit too long for my taste and I feel that Ben is the best man for the job of keeping things running on time. As well, he's been somebody who jokes around (well, I'm assuming he makes jokes sometimes... :p) at certain times but also knows when to keep things straight and on track. Add to that the fact that he is currently, by far, the best Brawl player in Ottawa right now and I believe that, no matter how great a job other people may have been doing, Ben would be the one most suited to be our Smashkage.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
^ love the comic, lol.

incase someone looks here instead, I'll repost what I posted on the HD thread:

Hey, guys. Just checking, but would it be alright if I brought over my laptop to work to finish off a Java assignment tonight? I have to submit it before 12, so I'd have to use Cam's internet to submit it.

Basically, I'm asking your permission, Cam, to use your internet sometime tonight.

buenob

Smash Lord
lol how did i miss that awesome praise / pic from harold? i don't think I can say "by far", not even close (yet), but I have been quite happy with my placings lately...

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Sorry guys, but my assignment is taking too long for me to make it tonight... It's not a good idea for me to bring the work with me.

I guess I'll see you all later.

Jazriel

Smash Ace
Fun stuff guys. Jan, thanks a ton for bringing Yomi stuff and as always Fogel thanks for hosting the 'fests. I forgot how much fun it was to play smash with other people. I took a break because I didn't really think I was getting any better and while I scrubbed pretty hard against Randy I see that I've improved at least somewhat.

Harold, sorry I couldn't follow through with the plans you had for Sunday (this is a test to see if you even remember :p) but as always random stuff happens and I forgot/wasn't home :p

Fogel

Smash Lord
I assume people want a Biweekly this Friday? Not sure what Ben/Randy/whoever are going to do, but might as well register now if you want in. I may not play this time depending what happens; 4 tournaments in 4 weeks is too much :/

stefanie

Smash Rookie
hi ottawa, im new!

i dont really play smash a lot but i hear youre all fun so im going to try to come out sometime!

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Since no one has signed up yet, sign me up.

@Stefanie- Hello. Make your intro in this Ottawa thread: http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=7690811

There is going to be a biweekly this Friday which might not be great for a new person such as your self, but judging by all the people who have signed up so far it might not be a bad time to come out. PM Fogel for directions(he's the host). Add me on MSN and I can give you any details(apart from the address. Only Fogel can give that out). chaosvsorder@ hot ma i l(dot)com

EDIT: @Cam- Assuming not that many people show up, I'd like to have some matches. I have no idea how to answer to Snake so some experience would be helpful.

jan

Smash Cadet
Mason: Glad you liked Yomi. I'll be bringing it from now on and I'll probably get around to printing/sleeving some more decks, too.

I'd rather see Smashfests more often than bi-weeklies, personally. It might just be my schedule lately since I haven't been able to make it out to as many fests, but I think there should be more fests than tournament days. The 50/50 split isn't really working for me.

stefanie

Smash Rookie
i will be coming, but i cant stay too late!

ive heard of yomi, i will try it if you can bring it

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Glad to see you'll make it out, newcomers are always super welcome!

PS, quick question: Is your avatar a pic of yourself?

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Hold on, don't label officially label stefanie as a sock puppet just yet you guys. It is just my suspicion, but of course I cannot be certain. For now, let us just assume stefanie is the same as ikemaster.

That being said, if you're not a sock puppet, sorry if this has been unwelcoming.

EDIT: Oh right, I forgot. Unsign me up, I cannot get even 3 dollars. I'll still come since attendance looks like it'll be low which means I can get some games in anyways.

Top Bottom