• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

Fogel

Smash Lord
Mike, would you have any room for housing a possible 4-5 people for the 5th/6th? I'm interested in going to the Mississauga tourney, but there's no way it's doable unless I can get housing. The host said in the first post he couldn't help, so I'm asking around (ie: asking you :) ). I was tentatively thinking of leaving Friday after work, aiming to be there for 10/11pm. Since the roads are closed to the venue during weird hours, there's no way I can leave Saturday morning, so we'd need to stay Friday/Saturday nights.

Consequently, if anyone else wants to go to Almost as Cool as Genesis that weekend and needs a lift, let me know. It's dependent on me getting the car and on finding housing somewhere though.

PND

Smash Champion
Probably, but I'll confirm tonight once I'm done work. To clarify, June or July?

Also: There's the final OiN coming up at the beginning of July, and there's the OiN that's coming after that one at the end of July. I'm pretty sure both are Melee Brawl, so if you guys want to come to those. . .

And Ben: I may take you up on that couch offer.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Probably, but I'll confirm tonight once I'm done work. To clarify, June or July?

Also: There's the final OiN coming up at the beginning of July, and there's the OiN that's coming after that one at the end of July. I'm pretty sure both are Melee Brawl, so if you guys want to come to those. . .

And Ben: I may take you up on that couch offer.
Yes, I meant June. Hopefully it isn't too short notice...I should have asked earlier :/

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
So... saturday then?

EDIT: Oh yay! That's awesome Cam! Thanks for the videos!

So friday is normal and saturday is the PNDBonusBiweekly?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
So then, friday is a smashfest and Saterday is a biweekly? And was there a confirmed time for saterday?

What application are you talking about, Mike? What job is this? Sounds like a pretty intense interview if it has a lie detecter...

I'm thinking of Going to the tournament on June 6, but not sure if I could (have to check other commitments). Would I be able to head over with whichever ride you have Cam? And would I be able to stay with you, Mike, if you are able to provide housing then?

As for my actual smash game, I'm thinking of switching around some control settings to get, like, twice as good DI or better. :) I'll be trying different crap out.

buenob

Smash Lord
jiggernaut - I think you are under-rated right now... I also think your control scheme is holding you back a bit... also, you need some quality 1v1 time with a couple of the stronger players to break you of a couple bad habits... Derek is the best at this, but i'd be willing to lend a hand come saturday :)

cam / mike -- cam, you do know mike lives in st. Catharines (sp?), a 1.5 hr drive away from the venue (past the venue) this would really help me get to that tournament, so I really want you to do this, but that's just for personal gain... if you could find someone in T. proper it would be easier for you... and mike, if joel/montreal doesn't find anywhere else to stay, think there's room for them at your place?

andrew - if cam goes to the tourney on the 6th, think you'd come? i'd like to tell joel if i'll be teaming with him then or not (he'll be my partner at OiN

anyone -- up for hanging out at somewhere other than a mc. D's after the saturday awesomeness? ps. My stick is done, if someone brings a 360 I'll bring it

edit: tect - one day, i'll go to bridgehead, and daron will go "oh man! you two need to talk to eachother" and then we will, and we'll be in the middle of a coffee shop, and we'll be like "you play smash... we should play sometime" and then you'll need to work, and it will be awkward :)

PND

Smash Champion
Cam: You're welcome to crash here. . . but as Ben mentioned, I'm out of the way quite a bit from Sauga.

Ben: Depends on how many of Mtl. . . Let me know. If the weather's nice, I'll give it a preemptive yes and we can all crash on the beach. But if the weather's bad, I don't want *too* many people.

Also, for the record I live about 20-30 minutes out of St.Kitts. Not too far. And to answer your previous question about the car, I can probably borrow my mom's SUV for tourney purposes, ergo lots of room for people and setups.

Hanging out on Sat sounds awesome.

Andrew (Jiggernaut): The job I'm talking about is becoming an RCMP officer. I've already passed the first few steps, but it's a long process.

Everyone: I decided against going to the party. There's too much at stake for me to lose, so I'll be there on Friday. Because i won't be with Riley and Bryant, I may need a place to crash. . . anyone feel like housing me? I'm a pretty **** good cook, I can definitely pay my upkeep in delicious (meatless) meals. Plus I'm great in bed.

So here's the schedule as far as I know it:
Friday: Smashfest. After = ?
Saturday: PNDWeekly #1 / Off-weekly #1: PND Strikes Back with a Vengance: The Return of Mike. . . hang out / party afterwards (w/o weed)?
Sunday: ????
Monday: Profit. And by that, I mean bus home and go back to work. So yeah, profit.

Somewhere along that time line I propose skydiving. Wait. . . do you guys still have snow?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
So I'm clear, the off-weekly thing's on the Saturday as opposed to the Friday, right? Just asking because there's probably only a chance I can make like...one of the days. :ohwell:

And Mike, I'd offer to house you since obviously you know my folks wouldn't mind in the least, but I'm thinking it might conflict with your whole "taking the bus there and back" bit.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Thanks, Ben. I appreciate any comments and pointers you have for me. Just to be clear, when I say better DI, I mean twice as good smash DI than that of a CG controller can do. :) It still bears looking into, though. I know I have bad habits, and breaking them would be awesome.

Awesome, Mike! What will you be doing there? More administrative things, or field work?

I'd be more than willing to hang out for a bit after the Sat off-weekly. If I'm going on Saturday, I won't be coming on Friday. I need to know times, though, because I might get invited to something else and it will only be fair to not go to it if I knew the times of this before it, lol. ;) Not that I don't want to go to it, it's just been a while since I've seen Mike. Also, I feel the need to practice if I'm going to Almost as Cool as Genesis.

Edit: Oh, and our results are submitted to Ankoku's thread, right?

Fogel

Smash Lord
I was thinking of having Saturday's smashfest at the usual time (can show up 5 or later, stuff starts at 7:30) just to keep things consistent. Is everyone ok with that?

I'm thinking of Going to the tournament on June 6, but not sure if I could (have to check other commitments). Would I be able to head over with whichever ride you have Cam? And would I be able to stay with you, Mike, if you are able to provide housing then?

Sure!

cam / mike -- cam, you do know mike lives in st. Catharines (sp?), a 1.5 hr drive away from the venue (past the venue) this would really help me get to that tournament, so I really want you to do this, but that's just for personal gain... if you could find someone in T. proper it would be easier for you... and mike, if joel/montreal doesn't find anywhere else to stay, think there's room for them at your place?
I know; I just want to know what my options are :)

Cam: You're welcome to crash here. . . but as Ben mentioned, I'm out of the way quite a bit from Sauga.

Everyone: I decided against going to the party. There's too much at stake for me to lose, so I'll be there on Friday. Because i won't be with Riley and Bryant, I may need a place to crash. . . anyone feel like housing me? I'm a pretty **** good cook, I can definitely pay my upkeep in delicious (meatless) meals. Plus I'm great in bed.

So here's the schedule as far as I know it:
Friday: Smashfest. After = ?
Saturday: PNDWeekly #1 / Off-weekly #1: PND Strikes Back with a Vengance: The Return of Mike. . . hang out / party afterwards (w/o weed)?
Sunday: ????
Monday: Profit. And by that, I mean bus home and go back to work. So yeah, profit.

Somewhere along that time line I propose skydiving. Wait. . . do you guys still have snow?
If you can't stay at Ben's, you can stay at my place if you want. Just so you know what you're in for though, I don't have any full-sized couches, and no extra beds, so you'll either have to use my sleeping bag, or curl up on the small two-seater couch somehow (useless fact for those reading: a "two-seater couch" is called a love seat :) ). Also, I have plans Sunday afternoon, so you'd have to leave on Sunday by about 1pm or so.

So I'm clear, the off-weekly thing's on the Saturday as opposed to the Friday, right? Just asking because there's probably only a chance I can make like...one of the days. :ohwell:

Yes.

Edit: Oh, and our results are submitted to Ankoku's thread, right?
No; we can't submit results when the tournaments have less than 16 people.

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
I was thinking of having Saturday's smashfest at the usual time (can show up 5 or later, stuff starts at 7:30) just to keep things consistent. Is everyone ok with that?
Sounds fine with me. Actually, this way I can attend both events. What's first, doubles or singles?

Sure!

No; we can't submit results when the tournaments have less than 16 people.
Great! I'll grab my stuff.

Oh, I either forgot about that detail or didn't know it. Though, we do submit it when we have 16 or more people, right?

SoLn

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually a bit worried about this party, to be honest.

Even simply by being around weed, my application could get delayed by ~1 year to 2 years, even if I'm not the one smoking it. I mean, I never smoked weed in my life and now that I'm "in the process" I have to avoid it all at costs.

I was in my previous mindset of "Whoo! Party!", but now that I'm in the application process I have to start looking at things from a career perspective.

. . . and I think that confirms it. I'm officially "old".

An "epicly long" tourney. We do a full swiss bracket. That determines your seeding for the dbl elim bracket. Winners of that then run/swim/bike a triathlon, while doing a best of 71 RPS game.

My money's on Orlando.
or me
Yes! I knew my physical training would be used in some kind of competition eventually, its starting to pay off already.. Im gonna try to make it out to one of the days since I also wasnt at the farewell to Mike smashfest and of course great lulz are always to be had when Mike is around.

I may be interested in going to the tournament but itll depend on work.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
if cam goes to the tourney on the 6th, think you'd come? i'd like to tell joel if i'll be teaming with him then or not (he'll be my partner at OiN
I'm thinking you should team with joel, because I'm a cheap ****** and want to save the money for the whole traveling deal. I'd feel bad if you didn't have an ace partner with two tourney's experience together by then :)

Our next debut will probably be at the next obscene, or one of the OiNs if I manage to become less of a cheapass by then.

And I should be able to make saturday, so this means I can see mike again after all!

PND

Smash Champion
Andrew (Remi): <3

Andrew (Jiggernaut): I'm talking full officer, although eventually I want to get transferred into a canine unit if at all possible. I love dogs, and training them / doing field work with them would pretty much be my dream job.

Regarding Ankoku's thread: I'm pretty sure the limit is 12 people, for future reference.

Everyone: We should go for sushi!

Fogel

Smash Lord
Sounds fine with me. Actually, this way I can attend both events. What's first, doubles or singles?

Great! I'll grab my stuff.

Oh, I either forgot about that detail or didn't know it. Though, we do submit it when we have 16 or more people, right?
- I assume we'll stick with the standard of running doubles first, but I don't really mind either way if people want to change it.
- I haven't been submitting stuff to Ankoku's thread personally. I doubt this has been happening because I don't remember anyone asking around for character breakdowns.

PND

Smash Champion
I think I've submitted a couple, when I placed high-ish with Jiggs to get her some points. For the rest, I think Harold was submitting them?

The_Jiggernaut

Smash Ace
Well, I assumed that's why the character breakdowns are on in the tier list. Even then, people sometimes use different chars or not all the characters on the list.

Hey, Mike, since when is Wario not faster than Jiggs in the air? I've been hearing that for a long time, but it's come up in the Jiggs stage disscussion that its not true, and there have been tests that show it. Weirdly enough, though Yoshi is faster in the air than Jiggs is. What's up with that?

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm, that's a good question now that you bring it up, Jigger. Especially since I always thought Wario WAS faster in the air than Jiggs. Well uh...my bad?

PND

Smash Champion
Wario is faster at aerial acceleration than Jiggs, that is, he can get to top speed faster both vertically and horizontally. This leads to what we often refer to as "maneuverability". Wario has higher "maneuverability" than Jiggs, but overall he IS slower in the air.

Now, Yoshi. Yoshi has very high aerial speed, faster than Jigglypuff, but his aerial acceleration is much slower. Thus, although faster, Yoshi has much less "maneuverability."

Due to Jiggs being second best in BOTH factors, she is probably the best suited character for the air, although Wario and Peach could make strong cases.

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Same time post for Sushi win.

arsenic41

Smash Ace
EDIT: Same time post for Sushi win.
This is a message from the heavens to go have sushi.

And to keep this post on topic: This bi-weekly will be a Dbl Elimination since the swiss program is still being worked on.

PND

Smash Champion
Yep. Fate has decreed it so, we must go for sushi. All you can eat would probably be better for our $$$$. Totoya? (I think that's what it's called)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
How much does all this cost? I kinda want a price range cause money is not that simple for me to come by without a job. I usually have to win bets >_>
(currently someone owes me 100$ buy she's reluctant on paying >=S )

Fogel

Smash Lord
Uhh...not to break anyone's warrior spirit or anything, but are any sushi places actually going to be open at 1-2am when we're done with the biweekly?

How much does all this cost? I kinda want a price range cause money is not that simple for me to come by without a job. I usually have to win bets >_>
(currently someone owes me 100$ buy she's reluctant on paying >=S )
Are you talking about the Sauga tourney, or something else?

PND

Smash Champion
^ That's what I was thinking

Ariel: Are you talking about Sushi? In St. Kitts is ~$12 for all you can eat. . . I'm not sure what the pricing would be like in Ottawa.

KnucklesTheEchidna

Smash Apprentice
Bosak: I am disappointed that you dont want to party with me (like we used to in the old days </3). Especially since i dont see how me smoking pot around you would make you fail a polygraph test, as there likely will not be questions specifically about your proximity to pot within the last X amount of days. How does the RCMP get off using polygraphs in hiring anyways? Polygraphs are notoriously unreliable (main reason they cant be used in court). Also if they ask you if youve been near pot in the last 30 days or whatever (i cant imagine why they would care, its far more likely they asked when the last time you smoked it was, to which you can happily say never) you could say you were at a party. Nuff said. Parties have pot, rcmp officers know this as well as anyone, it in no way indicates everyone in attendance. Also, its pot-its barely even a drug. If you were at a party and some of your friends were doing lines or shooting up it would be different. All that to say if you are really uncomfortable with it i wouldnt want to push you into coming, but i feel obligated to tell you that riley and i tend to be stoned at smashfests as well...

P.S. Wanna team on saturday?

P.S.S. I don't like sushi...

PND

Smash Champion
1) During recruitment they made specific mention of avoiding parties where there's weed and stuff. That's why I'm making such a big deal of it.

2) Hellz yeahuhz

3) Man up. They probably have other stuff, too

Okay, I looked up some AYCE sushi in Ottawa, and I narrowed it down to 3 places, and I have NO experience with any of these places. And the reviews I read were from 2 years ago. . . so the places might not even exist anymore

Sakura Sushi - 10 min (driving) from Bayshore
Sushi Kan - 10 min (driving) from Bayshore
1000 Islands Sushi - 7 min (driving) from Bayshore.

Sakura is supposed to be pretty good, but service is slow.
Sushi Kan is supposed to have pretty good service, but the food can vary in quality. Sometimes really good, sometimes. . . not.
1000 Islands is supposed to be really good, but at a higher price point, as far as I can tell.

Sakura also has lots of non sushi dishes, for those who don't like it / are scared to try it. I can only imagine Sushi Kan and 1000 Islands are the same, although I could not verify. I was not able to discern if vegetarian alternatives were present, but I very much imagine they will be.

Kinki's and Sushi Go are like god's gift to sushi lovers, but they're more expensive and not AYCE, although at Sushi Go you can get a huge chef special platter for like $50, that could probably feed 2-4 of us to a pretty good degree. . . or one Randy.

Anyone have any insight into this situation?

Edit: Here's a list of Sushi places I just found, reading the reviews here to compare with what I read elsewhere:
http://ottawafoodies.com/food/5

So many conflicting reviews! What is this I don't even. . .
. . . We need Dave here.

Remilia Scarlet

Smash Cadet
I have been to Sushi Kan and 1000 Islands. both of them have plenty of non-sushi dishes. Both of them were about as delicious, save for this one time Sushi Kan was exceptionally poor...

As for price, as long as we go for lunch it's cheap enough either way.

buenob

Smash Lord
i've been to all the places... they're all good... i would rate khan the worst, then sakura... i think 1000 islands is the best, and not just becuase it's near me... I like their food, and they keep bringing you the food you order (sometimes khan and sakura gimps your order)

CHAOSvsORDER

Smash Journeyman
Yes I was talking about the sushi, Mike. So... ~15 I guess?

On Topic: The name of Saturday is... the PNDMike Special Offweekly?

EDIT:1000 Islands is... where exactly? Is it the one near broadview, or am I thinking of a different sushi place?

PND

Smash Champion
I'm so hype for this weekend. I'm scheduled to arrive in Ottawa around 4:35, so probably not until 5:30 ish. :laugh: So everything starts at Cam's around 5ish as per normal, right?

buenob

Smash Lord
me == super rated.. forgot the month of june... just, i could have sworn the 6th month was july... maybe the toronto tourney on 6/6/6 messed me up... either way, i have some extra days off now... i'll probably just head anyways...

why can't i count to 7? :( epic fail

Fogel

Smash Lord
me == super rated.. forgot the month of june... just, i could have sworn the 6th month was july... maybe the toronto tourney on 6/6/6 messed me up... either way, i have some extra days off now... i'll probably just head anyways...

why can't i count to 7? :( epic fail
I'm confused; are you still going to Almost as Cool as Genesis, or did you mix it up with one of the July Niagara tourneys? At this point, I'll probably be staying at Mike's for this because everyone in the tourney thread so far has ignored my post asking for housing :( Hope you don't mind, Mike!

Top Bottom