• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ottawa Bi-weeklies, because illegal gambling is perfectly legal

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I really don't know, I think it is better to have a bi-weekly this week since I don't work, but it is really up to Cam since he is hosting it this time.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Yes. We're all moving to Switzerland because it's more neutral than Canada.
Alan is correct, this is how it's going to work. I'm in Switzerland now; you have to somehow get there for Friday if you want to play in the next biweekly.

Actually, I was hoping to have more time to work on a program to help me with the Swiss tourney, but if everyone would rather have it right away this Friday then we can work things out on paper. Initial seeding could be done from the current fake, biased PR where I'm not 6th worst, and we could work the rest out from there.

I guess I'll hold off on making a program for it until we see how it operates, and if people actually like it. We also need to figure out what is going to happen with doubles, since I don't want doubles to disappear entirely just for Swiss tourneys.

edit: Oh yeah, and Infzy will be taking his TV back this week, so we will need someone to bring another TV for future biweeklies. Someone step up, please!

infomon

Smash Scientist
Yes. We're all moving to Switzerland because it's more neutral than Canada.
This post is awesome.

edit: Oh yeah, and Infzy will be taking his TV back this week, so we will need someone to bring another TV for future biweeklies. Someone step up, please!
Ohhh yeah, lol. Actually, if you're going to be around Easter weekend (?), I might as well take it back then. I won't be able to move it up to waterloo until then. But yeah, hopefully someone in O-town has a spare tv!?

Fogel

Smash Lord
This post is awesome.

Ohhh yeah, lol. Actually, if you're going to be around Easter weekend (?), I might as well take it back then. I won't be able to move it up to waterloo until then. But yeah, hopefully someone in O-town has a spare tv!?
Most likely...there's an outside chance I'll try to go to OiN Pi but most likely I'll be in town.

buenob

Smash Lord
just so everone knows i'm working friday, so I can't make it... and then i'm working the net as well, and then after that is good friday // oin pi so I won't be around for a while :(

plz put me on the waiting list

arsenic41

Smash Ace
I just noticed, about the doubles power rankings. Is it a ranking of the team or a ranking of the team players?

joblin

Smash Apprentice
We were having a small discussion about it and I personally think that we have enough regular teams to rank. We wouldn't put teams that just formed for one biweekly. I know of a few regulars.

LivewiresXe

Smash Hero
Hm, I can't think of any more regular teams in the bi-weeklies and stuff unless there's been some new teams since last month that I don't know of.

Fogel

Smash Lord
From what he posted earlier, I guess we'll have Mike's TV for this week. However, I would still like to know if anyone could bring a 4th for future weeks.

Another thing with Mike leaving is that we will need another Wii, as he usually brings one. For the Swiss biweekly, I would REALLY like to make sure we have the full four setups. I'd like for 3 or 4 people to post if they can bring a Wii (4 so there's a backup!); there are too many times where people expect others to bring one along, and leave theirs at home, and then we only have 2 or 3 setups.

Fogel

Smash Lord
For the Swiss biweekly tomorrow:

Assuming we have between 9-16 people, we will do 4 rounds. Pairings will be done by match records, so you will play people with a similar win/loss record to you (i.e.: if you are 1-1, you will be playing someone else who's 1-1...though there may be some exceptions if there are an odd number of people).

Since everyone starts at 0-0, the first round will be seeded by the PR, so first seed will play last seed, second seed will play second last seed etc. If the majority of the community doesn't like the first round being seeded like this, we can do random seeding instead (you could still randomly have to face someone tough though :p).

After the four rounds, there will be one overall winner (only one person can get 4-0), but for everyone else there will be a lot of 'ties' (ie: many people will be 3-1, 2-2, etc.) For now, I'm going to do tiebreakers as follows:

1. Game wins - A game being a round within the best 2 out of 3 set; so if you lose, losing 1-2 is worth more than losing 0-2 because you have an extra game 'win'.
  2. Game losses - Similar to the above; winning 2-0 is better than winning 2-1 because you have less losses.
  3. Head-to-head record - If two players have the same match record, the same game wins, and the same game losses, and they played each other during the Swiss rounds, the winner of that match wins the tiebreak.
  4. Flip-a-coin/randomization/play the match out if there's time - This only happens if both players have: the same match record, the same game wins, the same game losses, and have never played each other in the Swiss rounds. This is very unlikely to ever happen.

I will run things by hand for now; if people like this format and want to do it again, I'll look into writing a program which can help us do this faster. I've got some design ideas, but it's not worth following through unless people like the format!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Actually, there are more than 5 people, so there CAN be more than one 4-0.

EX: One person wins all 4 matches. A second person does. How? They never played each other, forcing neither to lose.

EDIT: Right, the 3-0 will fight the 3-0. Dur.

Fogel

Smash Lord
Actually, there are more than 5 people, so there CAN be more than one 4-0.

EX: One person wins all 4 matches. A second person does. How? They never played each other, forcing neither to lose.

EDIT: Right, the 3-0 will fight the 3-0. Dur.
You got it!

For those who didn't get it (16 person biweekly, 4 rounds):

Round 1: Everyone is 0-0, half win half lose, 8 players are 1-0, the other 8 are 0-1
Round 2: 1-0s play each other, 4 players are 2-0, rest are 1-1 or 0-2
Round 3: 2-0s play each other, 2 players are 3-0, rest are 2-1 or worse
Round 4: Since there are only the two 3-0s, the winner is the lone 4-0, in other words, teh champignon! :bee: Everyone else at this point has 3-1 or worse.

<geek>This applies for any Swiss tournament with n people and (log base 2)n rounds :)</geek>

buenob

Smash Lord
i would seriously suggest doing more rounds than just that... the next round, you would have the "best" player play the top ranked player that he hasn't played yet, and then go down the list like that eliminating people until everyone is paired up again...

in the end, if there is a tie, you take the sum of the opponents you faced, and whichever is higher is the winner (you played "better" people)

this would make seeding way WAY less important... lets say you did 6 rounds instead of the 4 min, this would mean that even if the first two rounds you randomly got to play "weaker" players, you would still have 4 games against "good" players, since after 2 rounds there won't be any "flukes" left...

in my experience, 6 does well for any bracket size <32 people

ps. I can go to OiN pi!! randomly got my shift traded so here's the deal... I have 50 for gas money, up front, i'll pay when you pick me up from my appt. and I will also have a 24 with me (or food for the trip if a 24 is not wanted)... who wants to go to OiN and can drive!? lol

Fogel

Smash Lord
i would seriously suggest doing more rounds than just that... the next round, you would have the "best" player play the top ranked player that he hasn't played yet, and then go down the list like that eliminating people until everyone is paired up again...

in the end, if there is a tie, you take the sum of the opponents you faced, and whichever is higher is the winner (you played "better" people)

this would make seeding way WAY less important... lets say you did 6 rounds instead of the 4 min, this would mean that even if the first two rounds you randomly got to play "weaker" players, you would still have 4 games against "good" players, since after 2 rounds there won't be any "flukes" left...

in my experience, 6 does well for any bracket size <32 people

ps. I can go to OiN pi!! randomly got my shift traded so here's the deal... I have 50 for gas money, up front, i'll pay when you pick me up from my appt. and I will also have a 24 with me (or food for the trip if a 24 is not wanted)... who wants to go to OiN and can drive!? lol
I see what you're saying, but for now I'm worried about the time it would take. If there is a decent amount of time after 4 rounds, we can try to do more, but I think we'd like to make sure the biweeklies to end at a reasonable hour :)

I might be able to go to OiN since it's on Saturday; I would have to leave early Sunday though, since my family normally does Easter dinner on Sunday night. I'll have to confirm later.

joblin

Smash Apprentice
If we start the bi-weekly a little earlier, say 6:30 instead of the usual 7:30, than maybe we can have more time for more rounds making the it for a more accurate experience. So all of you that signed up, get yo a$$es to Cam's place before 6:30 or else a plague will rain upon your house. The plague is dirty, you don't want that.

IvanEva

Smash Ace
I'm totally down for no doubles so that 1) we can have more time to really test out what works and what doesn't with this swiss style and 2) we realize that doubles suck because I suck at them. :p

I'll be coming tonight so guys, please remember to dress appropriately, bring your pencils, notebooks, and (if you're American) guns, because I'M GOING TO TAKE YOU ALL TO SCHOOL! :)

EDIT: Ben/Randy, where's this video of that Joel/whoever match on Skyworld that convinces you that it's ban-worthy? I'd like to be convinced that it is but I can still find nothing wrong with it competitively. I'm pissed that it's not on the Ottawa list!

// ***********************************************************
EDIT: This is Ottawa's Twentieth Bi-weekly! Whooo! Super Duper Props to Cameron, who's been the Jesus of Ottawa Smash and to Randy, who actually started them up in earnest.
// ***********************************************************
[Brief edited history of Ottawa Bi-weeklies:]

Jazriel, 04-28-2008, 11:38 AM : Oh snap, lot's of people. If we could get the ball rolling on regular attendance and stuff, we could possibly have weekly tournaments and good stuff all around.

IvanEva, 04-28-2008, 01:48 PM : Weekly tournaments? (Prize or no, tournament settings add a fun sense of pressure and help people get better) Sounds great if it happens.

Dice, 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM: If there were weekly tournaments I'd be there every week for sure, just for like a small prize of $2 a person or something. I'm still terrible with nerves in tournament matches

Suo, 04-29-2008, 02:30 PM : I also love the idea of a weekly or bi-weekly tournament setup, as I see that as really the only way to strengthen our community, and thus each other. Again, this would need coordination and support.

Arsenic, 05-05-2008, 01:10 PM: oh yeah, about this coming smashfest, I think we should do a small tournament among ourselves with a small cash reward, depending on how much people show up. This way, we can get some practice for TOS5.

Jazriel, 05-05-2008, 06:25 PM : I'm down for some cash tournaments, but how much? I don't really want to be spending $5 a week on 'em. 50 cents? Maybe a dollar? I don't want to be a cheapskate but I'm not made of money.

IvanEva, 05-06-2008, 12:02 AM : On the mini-tournament thing: Hells yeah! We definitely need to get some mini-tournaments down! However, I too am broke and a half now (new computer and stuff) so the most I can do is $5. I guess $1 would be the best amount for now - it'd put on some pressure but not on the wallet. Is everybody alright with that? Heck, even if you don't bring a dollar (I'll bring mine so the 'pot' will be at least a dollar ) you're still in the tournament, yeah?

Fogel, 05-06-2008, 05:50 PM: I'm not sure how keen I am on the whole 'tourney at a smashfest' thing. What about people who can't/don't want to pay? Who is going to organize it? How will the money be split up?

If it's going to be done, I think leaving at least one TV open for 'free' friendlies is a must. Specifically, I don't want people who aren't interested in the tournament to have to sit around doing nothing while they wait for the tournament to finish. Another possibility is to have the tourney cost no money, but do serious best of 3 sets with counterpicks, etc (yes, I understand that matches aren't as 'serious' with no money on the line).

The 'pot' is currently at $1 but I might just go out and buy some funny little toy or something as a prize instead. It really doesn't matter. If anybody wants to pitch in some money, go for it, otherwise it'll just be for the $1, which is completely fine with me. Given that the prize will be minute to say the least, I'm guessing that only the single winner will get the prize.

IvanEva, 05-06-2008, 11:58 PM :Organizing it would just be a matter of starting it when there's a lot of people there. Again, I'd recommend using Brawl's tournament thing since it keeps things nicely organized visually and for a mini-tournament at a smashfest, where double elimination and all that might be a bit much, tournament mode would keep things really simple. [Haha, how naive I was...]

So, out of curiosity, who's up for this smashfest tournament thingy? So far it seems that the people that are all for it are: myself, Arsenic, and Jaz; I'm sure Orlando would be all for it, and Jan and my brother will be all for it as well.

Arsenic41, 05-07-2008, 12:52 PM : Tournament mode is a shining example of epic faliure. I think having a bi-weekly would be good if someone is willing to do all the orginizing of pools, brackets (depending on how many people are entering), money orginizing and all that jazz. and we also want a fee so that it still motivates people to do their best while not being too expensive. I'm down on having a bi-weekly if we figure all this stuff out first.

Arsenic41, 05-20-2008, 03:36 PM :Anyways, down to business, how many people are coming over to the smashfest this week? I'm thinking of trying to orginize a bi-weekly if at all possible, so I would like to know how many people will be showing up.

EDIT: I would also like to know who would be willing to participate in such an event. Right now, the entry fee seems to be 1$, going on that cost, who is willing to participate in a bi-weekly? post if you are intrested/are coming to this weeks smashfest.

Arsenic41, 05-21-2008, 08:02 AM : Plus, as host of this bi-weekly, I would rather we had a list of neutral, counter pick, and banned stages which is more proffessional and makes the matches alot more fair.

Arsenic41, 05-22-2008, 08:15 PM : Alright, so far we the information is as follows:

Participants:
IvanEva
IvanEva's Brother
Flash7
Arsenic
Fogel
Lan Cabron (Cbone)
PNDMike
PNDMike's friend
PNDMike's friend
PNDMike's friend

Other people considering entering will have to post on SWF by Friday 4:00pm or register at the smashfest.

Fogel, 05-22-2008, 10:50 PM :Ruleset looks good, good job Randy!

Arsenic41, 05-23-2008, 03:11 PM : Alright, just a reminder, biweekly today, if you want in, register by or before 7:30. Alright guys, good luck

Fogel, 05-23-2008, 10:03 PM :Fun tournament guys! Biweekly results for anyone who's curious:

1: Saus (Ike)
2: by.LaN[Shield] (aka Cbone) (Toon Link/Marth)
3: Fox (Marth/Falcon)
4: IvanEva (Lucas/Yoshi)
5: Arsenic (Snake/DDD)
5: Fogel (Metaknight/Fox)
7: Haze (G&W)
7: Justin (Olimar)
9: Knuckles (Zelda)
9: PNDMike (Jigglypuff)
9: HIDEF (G&W)
9: Jaz (Pikachu/Ike/Ness)

[And the rest is history...]

Top Bottom